UC Davis Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Inygma

Silver

Re: UC Davis

Post by Inygma » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 pm

COUNTDOWN TO STATUS UPDATE! 8 minutes!!! lol...

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Inygma wrote:COUNTDOWN TO STATUS UPDATE! 8 minutes!!! lol...
Annnnnd...

Nothing. :?

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:15 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:
Annnnnd...

Correct :(

brose002

Bronze

Post by brose002 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Damn them!!!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Inygma wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:
Annnnnd...

:( :( :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:41 am

Eval in Progress!!! Finally! :o

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:06 am

Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:
Annnnnd...

:( :( :(

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:50 am

eval in progress now.

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:41 pm

AlanShore wrote:eval in progress now.
+1. From what I understand this doesn't mean much except that we still have a lot of waiting in front of us. It's nice to be one step closer, though...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Neil wrote:
AlanShore wrote:eval in progress now.
+1. From what I understand this doesn't mean much except that we still have a lot of waiting in front of us. It's nice to be one step closer, though...
yeah i agree. it was nice to see a change.. made me more secure that they didnt totally forget about me. but i know we have a longgg road ahead of us,

matrix637

New

Post by matrix637 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:19 pm

under eval as of today too. Would you guys take Davis sticker over Loyola (51k, top 30%)?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 pm

matrix637 wrote:under eval as of today too. Would you guys take Davis sticker over Loyola (51k, top 30%)?
I would.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Veritas wrote:
matrix637 wrote:under eval as of today too. Would you guys take Davis sticker over Loyola (51k, top 30%)?
I would.
same. i would always take a tier 1 over tier 2 even with full tuition vs. sticker.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:39 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Veritas wrote:
I would.
same. i would always take a tier 1 over tier 2 even with full tuition vs. sticker.
I might not do this ^^^ :lol:

but Davis > Loyola with that scholly and rank requirement

matrix637

New

Post by matrix637 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Veritas wrote:
I would.
Can you please elaborate Veritas (or anybody else)? What exactly distinguishes Davis from Loyola in your opinion?

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:52 pm

matrix637 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
I would.
Can you please elaborate Veritas (or anybody else)? What exactly distinguishes Davis from Loyola in your opinion?
first i think it depends on what you want to do.

big law = better ranked schools the better
public service type jobs = doesn't matter too much and less debt is better.

Davis is better in almost every way i imagine. better professors, higher job employment, higher bar passage rates, more prestige, and etc.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:56 pm

matrix637 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
I would.
First, I don't want to live and/or practice in LA. Loyola is good, for LA. I much prefer the idea of attending school in Davis - more my vibe.

Also, if you keep your scholarship, that's 17k per year. Tuition at LLS is 40 so that would make it 23 with COL around 17k (I would assume) takes you back up to 40. So Loyola is going to cost you about $120,000.

At sticker, tuition/COL at Davis for three years is probably going to run you to about $170,000 - that's assuming no need based aid. I think the extra $50k is worth the better job prospects, greater name recognition, more portability (in state and in the Mountain West region)

I'm willing to pay more to have a job. LA is a tough market (with USC, UCLA, people from Stanford/Berk/other T14s, the Loyola and now UCI) - and ITE Loyola seems like too much of a risk for that much money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Veritas wrote:First, I don't want to live and/or practice in LA. Loyola is good, for LA. I much prefer the idea of attending school in Davis - more my vibe.

Also, if you keep your scholarship, that's 17k per year. Tuition at LLS is 40 so that would make it 23 with COL around 17k (I would assume) takes you back up to 40. So Loyola is going to cost you about $120,000.

At sticker, tuition/COL at Davis for three years is probably going to run you to about $170,000 - that's assuming no need based aid. I think the extra $50k is worth the better job prospects, greater name recognition, more portability (in state and in the Mountain West region)

I'm willing to pay more to have a job. LA is a tough market (with USC, UCLA, people from Stanford/Berk/other T14s, the Loyola and now UCI) - and ITE Loyola seems like too much of a risk for that much money.
I think I'd agree with Veritas on this one. But I wouldn't say always take sticker at Davis over a T2. I just probably would take it over LLS. But I don't like LA ... and I really would like to be on a real campus. Never been to LLS, but I don't think it is much of a campus, is it?

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:29 pm

superflush wrote:
Veritas wrote:First, I don't want to live and/or practice in LA. Loyola is good, for LA. I much prefer the idea of attending school in Davis - more my vibe.

I think I'd agree with Veritas on this one. But I wouldn't say always take sticker at Davis over a T2. I just probably would take it over LLS. But I don't like LA ... and I really would like to be on a real campus. Never been to LLS, but I don't think it is much of a campus, is it?

I am considering USD over Davis maybe, it might not be a huge consideration, but still on the table. I think UCI/Davis is a 50/50 split, but the 50% tuition + better life/job prospects for my wife pushes UCI to #1 I think.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Inygma wrote:
superflush wrote:

I am considering USD over Davis maybe, it might not be a huge consideration, but still on the table. I think UCI/Davis is a 50/50 split, but the 50% tuition + better life/job prospects for my wife pushes UCI to #1 I think.
^^^ for me, too. I would consider lots of money at USD over sticker at Davis.

Faesha

New

Post by Faesha » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Ugghh I've been in evaluation since early November! How is this taking so long?!

...And how are there only 3 decisions on LSN. Jeezus Davis.

I think I'd take Davis sticker over Loyola$$ as well. All the competition in LA would make me too nervous about getting a job after graduation. This coupled with the prospect of losing my scholly and ending up paying sticker for the last two years at Loyola is too risky for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 pm

I don't really know anything about the law market in SD, although I'm from there and my father, aunt and uncle are attorneys (all in private practice, their own/small firms). It doesn't seem like the largest legal market, so I don't know how many bigger schools (UCLA, USC, Irvine, etc from the LA area) feed into the market (not to mention how many T-14's end up there).

But, as far as schools there is USD then Cal Western and Jefferson...USD seems to sit at the top of San Diego regional law. I guess I assume that there is not a huge influx of LA/nor cal law graduates flowing in.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Faesha wrote:Ugghh I've been in evaluation since early November! How is this taking so long?!

...And how are there only 3 decisions on LSN. Jeezus Davis.

I think I'd take Davis sticker over Loyola$$ as well. All the competition in LA would make me too nervous about getting a job after graduation. This coupled with the prospect of losing my scholly and ending up paying sticker for the last two years at Loyola is too risky for me.
I think that's a large consideration many people in the situation take for granted. If the scholarship is renewable with top 1/3rd, it may very well be that you end up losing it after the first year. My attitude toward scholarship with strings is to only count on the first year, and treat the next 2 years as a potential cost reduction but not weigh is as heavily.

LA is gonna be a tough market, there are a lot of regional schools there, and only considering the 1 year of guaranteed scholarship, Davis may very well make a lot more sense.

Also, LA sucks.

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:48 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:I don't really know anything about the law market in SD, although I'm from there and my father, aunt and uncle are attorneys (all in private practice, their own/small firms). It doesn't seem like the largest legal market, so I don't know how many bigger schools (UCLA, USC, Irvine, etc from the LA area) feed into the market (not to mention how many T-14's end up there).

But, as far as schools there is USD then Cal Western and Jefferson...USD seems to sit at the top of San Diego regional law. I guess I assume that there is not a huge influx of LA/nor cal law graduates flowing in.
Luckily SD is its own unique market that is separate from LA. USD is the best regional school for SD, but I still think almost anyone from USC/UCLA/Davis/Hastings/T14 have first pick over USD.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Inygma wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:I don't really know anything about the law market in SD, although I'm from there and my father, aunt and uncle are attorneys (all in private practice, their own/small firms). It doesn't seem like the largest legal market, so I don't know how many bigger schools (UCLA, USC, Irvine, etc from the LA area) feed into the market (not to mention how many T-14's end up there).

Luckily SD is its own unique market that is separate from LA. USD is the best regional school for SD, but I still think almost anyone from USC/UCLA/Davis/Hastings/T14 have first pick over USD.
I don't like San Diego. I grew up there and have the "been there, done that, I'm tired of the weather" thing going on. Aside from family, some practicing law, which could be helpful for networking, the fact that it seems to be a unique market may be a draw.

And I don't know that ANY USC/UCLA/etc, etc, etc student would beat out a USD student. If you are doing summer internships and creating relationships with the firms, I'm sure you are a strong, if not stronger, contender than someone without those ties. Maybe I'm off, but I think the regional schools seem to do well because of those potential relationships.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”