In at IU-Bloomington!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crm

Bronze

Re: In at IU-Bloomington!!!!

Post by crm » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:04 pm

I have a question. I never got a complete e-mail and I sent them an e-mail asking if my app was complete but never heard back. I know some other people on here have gotten accepted without ever receiving an e-mail that said the file was complete. I only got the one where it said that my app has been received and would notify me in about 6-8 weeks. Should I bother them more to find out if my app is complete or just assume it is?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Talked to the dean today, she said apps are up 60%... wow. They have nearly 3000 apps at this point (for 200 spots).

(Sorry if that has already been mentioned, not going to wade through 25 pages)

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Bankhead wrote:Talked to the dean today, she said apps are up 60%... wow. They have nearly 3000 apps at this point (for 200 spots).

That's crazy. I think IU is definitely wandering into uncharted territory. By that, I mean they're apps are up (no doubt due to their increase in ranking/economy), and they don't really know for how many student are likely to commit in the end. This most likely is why people with good numbers are being WL'ed. I know this has already been discussed, but it's interesting to watch and see how IU handles this and what kind of class they put together.

supersixtwo

New

Post by supersixtwo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:13 pm

I received a wait list letter today.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Threepeat wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Talked to the dean today, she said apps are up 60%... wow. They have nearly 3000 apps at this point (for 200 spots).

That's crazy. I think IU is definitely wandering into uncharted territory. By that, I mean they're apps are up (no doubt due to their increase in ranking/economy), and they don't really know for how many student are likely to commit in the end. This most likely is why people with good numbers are being WL'ed. I know this has already been discussed, but it's interesting to watch and see how IU handles this and what kind of class they put together.
I need to stop reading this thread. It is not healthy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Newsmctado

New

Post by Newsmctado » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:29 am

Halibut6 wrote:
Threepeat wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Yeah, man, I'm a [strike]Hoosier[/strike] Boilermaker now. I might be in law school, but I'm still going to [strike]go all out[/strike] want to kill myself at IU basketball games. I've worked for my school's athletics department for 4 years now; I'm a little addicted.

FTFY

Blatant Purdue trolling.
Yuck.
Just got in to IU. Was a Duke undergrad and devoted ACC fan. My girlfriend (who's moving with me), her entire family incluing mom, dad, uncle and brother all went to IU undergrad. I dont know how comfortable I am now living my life as a Big Ten household and not an ACC household. Worried.

"Go Hoosiers" just doesn't sound right coming out of my mouth.

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:27 am

traehekat wrote: I need to stop reading this thread. It is not healthy.
Haha sorry. I'll only post happy thoughts on here from now on.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:13 pm

letsdoit1982

Bronze

Post by letsdoit1982 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:18 pm

:shock: I wonder how much of this is from their jump in the rankings and how much is from the economy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:41 pm

charlesjd wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Anyone else see this? NO IU?!
Money post. Thanks. Are these 2009 stats?

Look at SMU and Villanova punching above their weight (USN rank). Wow.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:58 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

Money post. Thanks. Are these 2009 stats?

Look at SMU and Villanova punching above their weight (USN rank). Wow.
Not sure, but someone posted this today, so there is a possibility. This sort of proves that Indiana's rank is not necessarily representative of the schools reputation, especially BigLaw, but I could be wrong. Schools like UIUC, Iowa, ND, and BC who have been consistently ranked in the top 30 are mid to high on that list. I have to look into this more, because there are a lot of NLJ 250's that do OCI.

Look at Howard! That school has a 135k median and places pretty well for a TTT , 4, or whatever it is (which is bs).

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Just to update, these numbers are from September 2009.

Here's the parent article where the link comes from. Treasure trove of info:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... OLS_REPORT

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:19 pm

charlesjd wrote:Look at Howard! That school has a 135k median and places pretty well for a TTT , 4, or whatever it is (which is bs).
Firms, by default, go to the T14 for T14-quality grads because they are somewhat lazy and leave the sorting out of quality students to the law schools. So it makes sense they would go to Howard for their other hiring needs (diversity).

As far as no IU, it's not really that surprising. 'Nova, Temple, and SMU (maybe to a lesser extent - I don't claim to know a thing about TX) are all in markets whereby their proximity and alumni connections to biglaw firms makes them more likely than IU (Indy then a very competitive Chicago market) to be better represented. More Pitt grads where hired at Reed Smith than from any other school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:22 pm

It's truly a pisspoor showing, that's what it is.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:23 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
charlesjd wrote:Look at Howard! That school has a 135k median and places pretty well for a TTT , 4, or whatever it is (which is bs).
Firms, by default, go to the T14 for T14-quality grads because they are somewhat lazy and leave the sorting out of quality students to the law schools. So it makes sense they would go to Howard for their other hiring needs (diversity).

As far as no IU, it's not really that surprising. 'Nova, Temple, and SMU (maybe to a lesser extent - I don't claim to know a thing about TX) are all in markets whereby their proximity and alumni connections to biglaw firms makes them more likely than IU (Indy then a very competitive Chicago market) to be better represented. More Pitt grads where hired at Reed Smith than from any other school.
Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping there was a reason behind this, because even so, they are were still ranked in the 40 or mid 30s before their jump, so they must place some into BigLaw. My interviewers said both of them did BigLaw for a while and that a lot of IU grads go to BigLaw initially which put a :) on my face.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:57 pm

charlesjd wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping there was a reason behind this, because even so, they are were still ranked in the 40 or mid 30s before their jump, so they must place some into BigLaw. My interviewers said both of them did BigLaw for a while and that a lot of IU grads go to BigLaw initially which put a :) on my face.
I have no idea if that is the real reason or not. :oops: But it seems to make sense to me. :D There are just so many schools competing for Chicago biglaw I can't imagine they do anything but sort of cancel each other out. IU put up 15% in 2005 and I can't imagine it was much better or worse than that for the c/o 2009.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:30 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:

As far as no IU, it's not really that surprising. 'Nova, Temple, and SMU (maybe to a lesser extent - I don't claim to know a thing about TX) are all in markets whereby their proximity and alumni connections to biglaw firms makes them more likely than IU (Indy then a very competitive Chicago market) to be better represented.
Yeah, both SMU and Houston Law Center are pretty strong in their respective markets down here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pace4tutti

New

Post by pace4tutti » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:35 am

Just booked all my travel plans for the 27th, anyone else staying at the days inn??

also-- i know this idea happened twenty pages ago, but pub crawl? :)

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:39 am

pace4tutti wrote:Just booked all my travel plans for the 27th, anyone else staying at the days inn??

No and YES

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40 am

But there is a Loyola-Chi? Makes ya think for those IU-B Chicagoans...

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:03 am

RMstratosphere wrote:
pace4tutti wrote:Just booked all my travel plans for the 27th, anyone else staying at the days inn??

No and YES
+1. My hotel is over a mile north of Kirkwood, so it's possible I'm going to be stumbling back for quite a ways both Friday and Saturday night.

I think we said Friday night was the pub crawl, since the "optional social event" at Nick's is Saturday night. Or are we doing both on Saturday night?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:

But there is a Loyola-Chi? Makes ya think for those IU-B Chicagoans...
Since I turned down full rides from both Chicago-Kent and Iowa, it is disconcerting that IU is not on the list, but I still don't regret my choice. I am not particularly set on biglaw, and I would killself if I had to live in Iowa for three years. Kent was hard to pass up with its location and all, but COL at IU is at most half of what it is in habitable areas of Chicago.

RMstratosphere

Bronze

Post by RMstratosphere » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:14 am

Halibut6 wrote:
RMstratosphere wrote:

No and YES
+1. My hotel is over a mile north of Kirkwood, so it's possible I'm going to be stumbling back for quite a ways both Friday and Saturday night.

I think we said Friday night was the pub crawl, since the "optional social event" at Nick's is Saturday night. Or are we doing both on Saturday night?
I vote for Friday night crawl. I'm hoping that we can get current students to take us around.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:15 am

still no word on funding fro SLD, this is pretty disappointing/absurd

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:16 am

Veritas wrote:still no word on funding fro SLD, this is pretty disappointing/absurd
Yes. IU's admissions office is worse than terrible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”