Fordham Waiting Room Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Gold

Re: Fordham Waiting Room

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:58 pm

chutzpah wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
chutzpah wrote:Well the time has come for me to stop complaining about being complete since early December. WL today. Grrrr

edit: stats are 3.65 and 165/174 for what its worth.
WTF. did you make sure they got your new score? i'd call them and clarify that you have a shiny new score and that, yes, you're still interested in attending. sounds like a mistake on their part to me.
Yup. I emailed them when I got the new score and they even wrote back "congratulations on your fantastic LSAT score".
I called today to make sure they had mine as well, though I was sure they did. Just in case. Don't know what to tell ya, other than... NUTS. Is it your top choice, nuts?

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:04 pm

haha are you referring to me? am i "nuts"? is it because of the elephant/peanut avatar?

I honestly don't know what I want. Columbia is my dream school. I could go to school for free at Brooklyn or Cardozo but I feel like I can/should do better. Still waiting on Georgetown, GW, Cornell, and Northwestern and NYU is reconsidering their earlier rejection bc of my new LSAT. I also applied to the Kennedy School so if they admit me and give me $ I could presumably go get an MPP.

thanks for the nice words all

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 pm

hannah87 wrote:
chutzpah wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
chutzpah wrote:Well the time has come for me to stop complaining about being complete since early December. WL today. Grrrr

edit: stats are 3.65 and 165/174 for what its worth.
WTF. did you make sure they got your new score? i'd call them and clarify that you have a shiny new score and that, yes, you're still interested in attending. sounds like a mistake on their part to me.
Yup. I emailed them when I got the new score and they even wrote back "congratulations on your fantastic LSAT score".
lame! i really don't understand their WL policy.
Seriously? Fordham is not known for just assuming YP. Chutzpah, do you know of anything you might have done to make them think you wouldn't attend? This is a very strange cycle, and I can only conclude that the classes are nearly full, and people will have to start withdrawing. Still, you would think room could be made for numbers like yours, which should give you a reasonable shot at CLS. You would have been a lock with ED, and depending on your plans, ED to CLS next cycle might make sense.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:06 pm

chutzpah wrote:haha are you referring to me? am i "nuts"? is it because of the elephant/peanut avatar?

I honestly don't know what I want. Columbia is my dream school. I could go to school for free at Brooklyn or Cardozo but I feel like I can/should do better. Still waiting on Georgetown, GW, Cornell, and Northwestern and NYU is reconsidering their earlier rejection bc of my new LSAT. I also applied to the Kennedy School so if they admit me and give me $ I could presumably go get an MPP.

Well it sounds promising for you! Even with the Fordham buttheads.
I called you nuts because of your sn... I was calling you guts earlier. The elephant didn't hurt though, subliminally.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks for the reply, Rocky. A lot of people seem to think that it's pretty important to honor those commitments. I'm not sure how much GULC cares about them because they don't seem overly concerned with their yield, but I know for example UVA takes them seriously. I do too, I'd rather not start out my legal career by reneging on an explicit commitment.

Kim, just saw your response in the GULC thread, thx.

OS, thanks to you as well. What if the GULC offer comes first though? Then I feel like I'd be obligated to withdraw the rest of my apps, unless I walk back my commitment first. Also, are you planning on PI? Which of the schools would you choose? (I know NYU seems like the obvious answer. I calculated LRAPs for a single person making median PI salaries, an NYU grad has a monthly payment of $220, a GULC grad: $0. Not sure how much of the difference in career prospects this makes up for, if any.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:12 pm

Is there anything else I can do as a last-ditch effort to get off the waitlist? I sent a LOCI directly to Dean Brown, I met with someone from admissions during a tour of the school, etc. Should I tell them about the other acceptances and scholarships I have received, or will this not help? I'm still just so confused by the whole situation. I got into every school I applied to in Fordham's range, most with real good scholarships, but there was none I wanted more than Fordham, since it is so close to my home. So I wrote a really solid "Why Fordham" with my app. So this WL was pretty baffling to me. So is there anything else I can do? Or is this the end of the road with regard to my efforts to get off the WL?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:12 pm

beef wellington wrote:Thanks for the reply, Rocky. A lot of people seem to think that it's pretty important to honor those commitments. I'm not sure how much GULC cares about them because they don't seem overly concerned with their yield, but I know for example UVA takes them seriously. I do too, I'd rather not start out my legal career by reneging on an explicit commitment.

OS, thanks to you as well. What if the GULC offer comes first though? Then I feel like I'd be obligated to withdraw the rest of my apps, unless I walk back my commitment first. Also, are you planning on PI? Which of the schools would you choose? (I know NYU seems like the obvious answer. I calculated LRAPs for a single person making median PI salaries, an NYU grad has a monthly payment of $220, a GULC grad: $0. Not sure how much of the difference in career prospects this makes up for, if any.)

You just committed via email? They didn't respond confirming or anything? I'd say don't worry about it.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 pm

dakatz wrote:Is there anything else I can do as a last-ditch effort to get off the waitlist? I sent a LOCI directly to Dean Brown, I met with someone from admissions during a tour of the school, etc. Should I tell them about the other acceptances and scholarships I have received, or will this not help? I'm still just so confused by the whole situation. I got into every school I applied to in Fordham's range, most with real good scholarships, but there was none I wanted more than Fordham, since it is so close to my home. So I wrote a really solid "Why Fordham" with my app. So this WL was pretty baffling to me. So is there anything else I can do? Or is this the end of the road with regard to my efforts to get off the WL?
You did both ft and pt? Their WLs are ridiculous this cycle. I got into better schools with money as well. But I would have picked NYC over them. Keep emailing everyone, I'd say. And I guess be patient?

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:14 pm

dakatz wrote:Is there anything else I can do as a last-ditch effort to get off the waitlist? I sent a LOCI directly to Dean Brown, I met with someone from admissions during a tour of the school, etc. Should I tell them about the other acceptances and scholarships I have received, or will this not help? I'm still just so confused by the whole situation. I got into every school I applied to in Fordham's range, most with real good scholarships, but there was none I wanted more than Fordham, since it is so close to my home. So I wrote a really solid "Why Fordham" with my app. So this WL was pretty baffling to me. So is there anything else I can do? Or is this the end of the road with regard to my efforts to get off the WL?
the admissions officer i met with said that they are interesting in hearing what other schools we've gotten into. i would definitely let them know via email. it can't hurt!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Long time lurker, thought I would post my rejection news (first of the cycle) for FT program. 163/3.43, good luck to the people still waiting

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:17 pm

somone please help!!

Fordham no money vs. Brooklyn full ride.

I havent even heard from Fordham re: scholarship, but I assume I wont get one.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 pm

keemos wrote:Long time lurker, thought I would post my rejection news (first of the cycle) for FT program. 163/3.43, good luck to the people still waiting

sorry =(

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 pm

phonepro wrote:somone please help!!

Fordham no money vs. Brooklyn full ride.

I havent even heard from Fordham re: scholarship, but I assume I wont get one.
don't assume! i haven't heard about a scholarship yet, either, but the admissions officer i spoke to told me they've "hardly made any scholarship offers yet."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:20 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Seriously? Fordham is not known for just assuming YP. Chutzpah, do you know of anything you might have done to make them think you wouldn't attend? This is a very strange cycle, and I can only conclude that the classes are nearly full, and people will have to start withdrawing. Still, you would think room could be made for numbers like yours, which should give you a reasonable shot at CLS. You would have been a lock with ED, and depending on your plans, ED to CLS next cycle might make sense.
I have been extremely polite and professional in my communications with the admissions office. I emailed admissions yesterday to ask if my Feb score was delaying their review of my application (had been complete for over 3 months), and that I was looking forward to visiting next week and hoped to have a decision by then. I don't know. Maybe that request annoyed them? Maybe my new score never actually made it into my file? Or maybe they just didn't like me. I'll be fine wherever I wind up, I'm just a little puzzled and irritated by this. Running out to lunch now. Thanks again.

Camco

New

Post by Camco » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:21 pm

sibley wrote:
Camco wrote:I just got WL'd too. 164 3.63

Yesterday I scheduled an appointment to meet with an admissions officer next week and see Fordham. I guess I need to change my strategy.
Should I bring a LOCI?
That's what I did too - even visited last weekend on my own dime from 6 hours away. Apparently they don't care that we're interested =/ I think LOCI + PT is the best option.

What about holding off on the LOCI until after my visit so I can talk about the experience? would that help at all?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:21 pm

chutzpah wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
I have been extremely polite and professional in my communications with the admissions office. I emailed admissions yesterday to ask if my Feb score was delaying their review of my application (had been complete for over 3 months), and that I was looking forward to visiting next week and hoped to have a decision by then. I don't know. Maybe that request annoyed them? Maybe my new score never actually made it into my file? Or maybe they just didn't like me. I'll be fine wherever I wind up, I'm just a little puzzled and irritated by this. Running out to lunch now. Thanks again.
I have a conspiracy theory for you. Fordham adcomm came here, saw us bickering, kicked us all out on our butts.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:21 pm

Camco wrote:
sibley wrote:
Camco wrote:I just got WL'd too. 164 3.63

Yesterday I scheduled an appointment to meet with an admissions officer next week and see Fordham. I guess I need to change my strategy.
Should I bring a LOCI?
That's what I did too - even visited last weekend on my own dime from 6 hours away. Apparently they don't care that we're interested =/ I think LOCI + PT is the best option.

What about holding off on the LOCI until after my visit so I can talk about the experience? would that help at all?

Write 2.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:22 pm

chutzpah wrote:haha are you referring to me? am i "nuts"? is it because of the elephant/peanut avatar?

Chutz, it's been a dream of mine forever to go to the Kennedy School. I hope you get in!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:27 pm

beef wellington wrote:Thanks for the reply, Rocky. A lot of people seem to think that it's pretty important to honor those commitments. I'm not sure how much GULC cares about them because they don't seem overly concerned with their yield, but I know for example UVA takes them seriously. I do too, I'd rather not start out my legal career by reneging on an explicit commitment.

Do these numbers factor in IBR?

I would choose NYU, personally. I love NYC, and I really, really love NYU. It's actually my favorite T14. :mrgreen: The differences in career prospects and in QoL would be worth the cost for me.

When you do get into GULC, you will still be within your rights to pay your seat deposit on the due date. I would not ignore gut feelings, though-- if something is telling you GULC is right for you, find out what that is. The one universally applicable piece of advice I have is that personal happiness is often more important than following the money. It was for me. I may die with my law school debt, but if I live a good life, I won't have any regrets. <3

friendofthedevil

New

Post by friendofthedevil » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:27 pm

hey, another lurker here. waitlisted today via status checker with a 2.9/167...can't really complain! good luck everybody!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:38 pm

:shock: :shock: @ the waitlist.

and..

:? :? at the congratulations email, I got that too and thought its a good sign :cry:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

even2flow

Silver

Post by even2flow » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:42 pm

sibley wrote:I have a conspiracy theory for you. Fordham adcomm came here, saw us bickering, kicked us all out on our butts.
False - I'm still undecided, and I was complete early January.

Edit - and I bicker and scream like an 8-year-old girl. Just wanted to clarify.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:

Do these numbers factor in IBR?

I would choose NYU, personally. I love NYC, and I really, really love NYU. It's actually my favorite T14. :mrgreen: The differences in career prospects and in QoL would be worth the cost for me.

When you do get into GULC, you will still be within your rights to pay your seat deposit on the due date. I would not ignore gut feelings, though-- if something is telling you GULC is right for you, find out what that is. The one universally applicable piece of advice I have is that personal happiness is often more important than following the money. It was for me. I may die with my law school debt, but if I live a good life, I won't have any regrets. <3
Yeah those are IBR payments, really the only advantage GULC has over NYU for me. Could you explain what you mean by the bolded? Sorry if I'm being dense.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:57 pm

even2flow wrote:
sibley wrote:I have a conspiracy theory for you. Fordham adcomm came here, saw us bickering, kicked us all out on our butts.
False - I'm still undecided, and I was complete early January.

Edit - and I bicker and scream like an 8-year-old girl. Just wanted to clarify.
No clarification was necessary. We're well aware =P

Helpasus

New

Post by Helpasus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey guys- lurker here. Just thought I should share that I got hit with the waitlist this morning. 3.0/171

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”