michigan 2010 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Re: michigan 2010 applicants

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:39 pm

Thoughtful packet from Mich today, including a letter from Zearfoss. She underlined that she would love to review my application. I've applied already, but it is a nice touch nonetheless!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Adsum wrote:Just got the call from Dean Zearfoss! Full Darrow!! I am in love with Michigan now.
CONGRATS!

GobiasIndustries

Bronze

Post by GobiasIndustries » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Rejection letter was waiting for me when I got home, but it was way overdue. Good luck everyone!

Olive

Silver

Post by Olive » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Congrats to all the Darrow recipients!

stopscreaming

New

Post by stopscreaming » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Torvon wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Munner wrote:1/11 DR, red text, and, finally, the inevitable rejection letter today :(
Whoa seriously? That blows my mind.
These last few pages are absolutely insane. I can't even begin to guess why Michigan would flat out reject all of these high numbers. Realistically speaking law school is all a numbers game, that's always the rule and never the exception. I could see waitlisting, YP, type thing, but rejections? Does the number of people they waitlist hurt their ranking or something? I guess you could argue that Michigan is assuming they wouldn't attend anyway, but why not just waitlist in that situation? What does Michigan have to lose?
I disagree that law school is "all a numbers game." I have - numbers deleted - (not URM) and I was accepted to Michigan (and others in the T14 as well). I think numbers are important but that soft factors can contribute equally if you can make a compelling case for why you want to study law.
Last edited by stopscreaming on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:02 pm

stopscreaming wrote:
Torvon wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Munner wrote:1/11 DR, red text, and, finally, the inevitable rejection letter today :(
These last few pages are absolutely insane. I can't even begin to guess why Michigan would flat out reject all of these high numbers. Realistically speaking law school is all a numbers game, that's always the rule and never the exception. I could see waitlisting, YP, type thing, but rejections? Does the number of people they waitlist hurt their ranking or something? I guess you could argue that Michigan is assuming they wouldn't attend anyway, but why not just waitlist in that situation? What does Michigan have to lose?
I disagree that law school is "all a numbers game." I have 3.3/168 (not URM) and I was accepted to Michigan (and others in the T14 as well). I think numbers are important but that soft factors can contribute equally if you can make a compelling case for why you want to study law.
No.

stopscreaming

New

Post by stopscreaming » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Oh. Ok.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:09 pm

stopscreaming wrote:Oh. Ok.
What you couldn't figure out how quotes work?

stopscreaming

New

Post by stopscreaming » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:28 pm

Ragged wrote:
Hence the low numbers ;-)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:32 pm

stopscreaming wrote:
Ragged wrote:
Hence the low numbers ;-)
What is this your first massage board? They all work pretty much the same.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:34 pm

stopscreaming wrote:
Torvon wrote:
GeePee wrote:
I disagree that law school is "all a numbers game." I have 3.3/168 (not URM) and I was accepted to Michigan (and others in the T14 as well). I think numbers are important but that soft factors can contribute equally if you can make a compelling case for why you want to study law.
Your LSAT is above Michigan's median and while your GPA is lower, it's not going to hurt their median any more than any other GPA under their 25th. I'm also not trying to say that numbers are the determining factor, but they are always the foundation. If that LSAT was a 160 you wouldn't have even been a consideration, regardless of your softs.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Wow, lots of Darrows going out!

Congrats to all of you!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Torvon wrote:Your LSAT is above Michigan's median and while your GPA is lower, it's not going to hurt their median any more than any other GPA under their 25th. I'm also not trying to say that numbers are the determining factor, but they are always the foundation. If that LSAT was a 160 you wouldn't have even been a consideration, regardless of your softs.
LSAT Median: 169 25%: 167
GPA 25%: 3.55

but i agree that numbers are always still the foundation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:44 pm

Congrats to all the Darrows!

A much better way to end the day than yesterday in the Michigan thread.

Cheers! :mrgreen:

Twix

New

Post by Twix » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Just as a reference for those DR on 1/11, I got the red text on the ASW and received my rejection letter on Thursday (1/15).

For all those in the same boat as me, below is something pertaining to Mich that will likely help you feel better, at least it made me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LjcRlI1EII

Muddy

New

Post by Muddy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Torvon wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:I have no idea what is going on with Michigan... I got in with a 3.5 171 and all these people with far superior numbers are getting dinged? They must be looking for something very specific or are YP'ing pretty damn hard. I feel for all of you and I know you will all get into great schools so keep your heads up!
From what I've seen, Michigan just looks for specific things, i.e. people who would fit in well with the school. At least, this is my impression, after talking to an admissions officer for quite when I went for my visit. I think cries of YP are way overdone. Look at their LSN chart for this year, there have already been extremely good numbers accepted (a 180/4.0 for example).
I can't think of any reason why I would fit in? Big state school, Americorps but nothing fancy. Nothing anyway that would make me more desirable than the 173 3.8 people. Probably the fact that Michigan could very well be my best acceptance and they know that 173. 3.8 people will likely get into CCN or maybe better. Isn't that YP? Not saying that they are definitely doing that but who knows...
Do you mind sharing which optional essay you wrote?
Hate to be so dense, but what does "YP" mean?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:10 pm

yield protect

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:36 pm

beesknees wrote:yield protect
Helpful......

Yield: ratio of those who attend to those who are admitted

Yield protect is when a school waitlists an applicant because they believe that student will not attend. Meaning schools do not accept students they cannot offer significant money to that they know will get into better schools.
Last edited by Unitas on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:39 pm

poprox wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:
That blows my mind.
+1. I don't care what anyone says at this point. Michigan is clearly employing some very direct YP strategies.
Was Michigan the school that really over-enrolled last year? Maybe they are being super careful not to make a similar mistake this year.
miami

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:39 pm

Kakarot wrote:
Helpful......

US News takes yield into consideration when ranking schools. Higher yield, better off you are. A rather stupid metric.

Yield protect is when a school waitlists an applicant because they believe that student will not attend. Meaning schools do not accept students they cannot offer significant money to that they know will get into better schools.
Are you sure about this?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:45 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
Helpful......

US News takes yield into consideration when ranking schools. Higher yield, better off you are. A rather stupid metric.

Are you sure about this?
Wow, I read this wrong and understood it wrong when I first researched yield and yield protect. I feel stupid now....
US News wrote:Acceptance Rate (.025) The combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. program who were accepted for the 2008 entering class.

natalie123

Bronze

Post by natalie123 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:47 pm

nixxers wrote:holyshitfulldarrow

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
YESSSS!!!!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Kakarot wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
Helpful......

Are you sure about this?
Wow, I read this wrong and understood it wrong when I first researched yield and yield protect. I feel stupid now....
US News wrote:Acceptance Rate (.025) The combined proportion of applicants to both the full-time and part-time J.D. program who were accepted for the 2008 entering class.
First of all, don't feel stupid. I think 99% of the people on this website think that yield, separate from the acceptance rate, plays a part in the USNWR rankings. IT DOES NOT!

natalie123

Bronze

Post by natalie123 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:48 pm

musketeerlady wrote:Just got the call from Dean Z - full Darrow as well!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats to you nixxers! I'm registering for ASW March 25-27, hope to see TLSers there :-)
HUZZAH!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”