In at UMiami Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
barrel_bra

New

Re: In at UMiami

Post by barrel_bra » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 pm

rossrobert wrote:For the people that have been placed on hold, how have you found out?

When you log into MyUM site, in the middle of the page above your email address it will say "View Admissions Letter".

If you're in the page says "Congratulations" if you're on hold, there will be a paragraph about what it means and that they will re-review the file before April 30th.

mrm2083

Bronze

Post by mrm2083 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Accepting a scholarship at UM isn't binding right? From the looks of it you would just loose your seat deposit. Is this correct?

msv5010

New

Post by msv5010 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 pm

I sent my scholarship acceptance in under that assumption but I don't know for sure.

mrm2083

Bronze

Post by mrm2083 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Ya I accepted mine as well because it never mentions anything about it binding but I was reading about other schools making it binding and that got me freaking out that maybe I missed something. I guess I'm just being paranoid.

msv5010

New

Post by msv5010 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:57 pm

I really doubt it could be binding without stating so on the letter. I wouldn't be too concerned. But its definitely worth emailing or calling admissions about if you're worried.

Just read the scholarship letter. It does not state anywhere that it is binding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 am

Withdrawing, and freeing up some scholarship $$$.
Good luck to everyone here!

matchesmalone

New

Post by matchesmalone » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Anyone go to ASW? Could you let me know what your impressions of the school were? I didn't get a chance to go.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 pm

So, I applied for the Miami Scholars program about 2 months ago. About two weeks later I was accepted to Miami. About 2 weeks after that I saw people posting that they had been accepted into the Miami Scholars program. About two weeks later I had not heard anything, so I figured I would not be receiving a scholarship, and I withdrew. Not even a week later, the dean of the law school called me. He sounded furious and asked who told me I didn't have a scholarship. I told him that I had not yet heard anything and noone had returned my inquiring emails, so I figured I did not get any scholarship money. I also told him that short of full tuition I would not be able to afford to go to Miami. He said that he would disregard my ]withdrawal as they "have had [their] eye on [me] for awhile." I said that's great because I do want to go there. I have not heard anything since, and I cannot afford to put down a $500 seat deposit until I know whether or not I could even afford to attend. $500 is almost my rent check, lol. What do you guys think I should do? I am dying to attend Miami, but I don't know what to do at this point.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 pm

roguey wrote:So, I applied for the Miami Scholars program about 2 months ago. About two weeks later I was accepted to Miami. About 2 weeks after that I saw people posting that they had been accepted into the Miami Scholars program. About two weeks later I had not heard anything, so I figured I would not be receiving a scholarship, and I withdrew. Not even a week later, the dean of the law school called me. He sounded furious and asked who told me I didn't have a scholarship. I told him that I had not yet heard anything and noone had returned my inquiring emails, so I figured I did not get any scholarship money. I also told him that short of full tuition I would not be able to afford to go to Miami. He said that he would disregard my ]withdrawal as they "have had [their] eye on [me] for awhile." I said that's great because I do want to go there. I have not heard anything since, and I cannot afford to put down a $500 seat deposit until I know whether or not I could even afford to attend. $500 is almost my rent check, lol. What do you guys think I should do? I am dying to attend Miami, but I don't know what to do at this point.
Dean of the law school is a woman though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:44 pm

baboon309 wrote:
roguey wrote:So, I applied for the Miami Scholars program about 2 months ago. About two weeks later I was accepted to Miami. About 2 weeks after that I saw people posting that they had been accepted into the Miami Scholars program. About two weeks later I had not heard anything, so I figured I would not be receiving a scholarship, and I withdrew. Not even a week later, the dean of the law school called me. He sounded furious and asked who told me I didn't have a scholarship. I told him that I had not yet heard anything and noone had returned my inquiring emails, so I figured I did not get any scholarship money. I also told him that short of full tuition I would not be able to afford to go to Miami. He said that he would disregard my ]withdrawal as they "have had [their] eye on [me] for awhile." I said that's great because I do want to go there. I have not heard anything since, and I cannot afford to put down a $500 seat deposit until I know whether or not I could even afford to attend. $500 is almost my rent check, lol. What do you guys think I should do? I am dying to attend Miami, but I don't know what to do at this point.
Oops. I meant to say dean of admissions. Sorry for the mix-up.

actorlaw

New

Post by actorlaw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 am

Miami had way more people enroll last year than they expected...

Are they being extra cautious with that this year? Is the On-Hold category something new? Or is this something they have always done...?

Whatever the case, it's killing me, and I wish they could let us know something sooner than later... Is Miami's first deposit due April 1?

How will this work if we are admitted after being put on-hold? Seeing as though we won't be notified until after April 15th?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:07 am

matchesmalone wrote:Anyone go to ASW? Could you let me know what your impressions of the school were? I didn't get a chance to go.
I went and it was awesome! They have a new dean whose credentials are really impressive. They're opening new clinics and expanding on the ones they have, which I appreciate. My impression was that they really try to set you up to succeed. They have a dean fellowship of students who took classes and got an A. Those students have a weekly Q&A on the particular class they did well in for students currently enrolled in that class. It apparently really helps the students out.

The UM campus is really nice. There are 4 different libraries on campus. The law college needs a little updating but they are in the works to start revamping it this year.

All and all, I would be proud to have a UM degree, but I am still holding out for a few of my pending applications or a scholarship from UM because that 61,000 sticker is looking like a bad idea in this economy.

Oh, scholarship-wise they’ve given out all their money already. The only way to get a scholarship at this point to UM is to get the throwback money from admitted students withdrawing.

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:43 pm

roguey wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
It was probably Michael Goodnight, Dean of Admissions. As a Miami scholar you would receive 25K/yr and have to maintain a 3.2. Tuition would be 13K after your scholly. Thats really good, but if you need a full ride then I hope you have some great #s or unbelievable softs cuz I know the other schollys they offer had interviews back in Feb. and you would need to prob. twist admissions arm to get a full ride. But it bodes well in your favor that they called you personally and said they have had their eye on you. Hope you join the U, the ASW was awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:46 pm

trialjunky wrote:
matchesmalone wrote:Anyone go to ASW? Could you let me know what your impressions of the school were? I didn't get a chance to go.
I went and it was awesome! They have a new dean whose credentials are really impressive. They're opening new clinics and expanding on the ones they have, which I appreciate. My impression was that they really try to set you up to succeed. They have a dean fellowship of students who took classes and got an A. Those students have a weekly Q&A on the particular class they did well in for students currently enrolled in that class. It apparently really helps the students out.

The UM campus is really nice. There are 4 different libraries on campus. The law college needs a little updating but they are in the works to start revamping it this year.

All and all, I would be proud to have a UM degree, but I am still holding out for a few of my pending applications or a scholarship from UM because that 61,000 sticker is looking like a bad idea in this economy.

Oh, scholarship-wise they’ve given out all their money already. The only way to get a scholarship at this point to UM is to get the throwback money from admitted students withdrawing.
I was at ASW too and I posted my impressions of the school/Miami area on the UMiami ASD thread if you want to read my thoughts.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Put on hold last week. I'm submitting a new letter to see if that helps my cause.

rossrobert

New

Post by rossrobert » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Received e-mail on 3/9 that my application had been received.

Was denied at Hofstra yesterday, so just wanted to know how much longer I should be waiting to get denied from Miami as well?

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 pm

gator08 wrote:
roguey wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
It was probably Michael Goodnight, Dean of Admissions. As a Miami scholar you would receive 25K/yr and have to maintain a 3.2. Tuition would be 13K after your scholly. Thats really good, but if you need a full ride then I hope you have some great #s or unbelievable softs cuz I know the other schollys they offer had interviews back in Feb. and you would need to prob. twist admissions arm to get a full ride. But it bodes well in your favor that they called you personally and said they have had their eye on you. Hope you join the U, the ASW was awesome.
I'll probably withdraw from Miami scholars today or just let it expires in two days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:37 pm

gator08 wrote:
roguey wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
Yes, that's who it was! I am thinking about calling him tomorrow or the next day and explaining that to him. I know that my credit would not qualify me for plus loans, so I can't go without a full ride, lol. I do have some really good softs. Hopefully that will help.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:34 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:Withdrawing, and freeing up some scholarship $$$.
Good luck to everyone here!
+1 I just withdrew via fax, and freed up some $$$$. I hope you all have had a great cycle!

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:06 pm

just called admissions office. the acceptance of a scholarship offer doesn't create a binding contract or obligation

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:00 am

My dreams of a scholly from this school is getting smaller and smaller by the minute.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Anyone know who I should talk to in order to negotiate a scholarship?

mikeddaqb

New

Post by mikeddaqb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Just denied my full scholly. Good luck everybody.

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 pm

mikeddaqb wrote:Just denied my full scholly. Good luck everybody.
Seems like a lot of people are withdrawing with scholarship offers and yet UM still tells me (today, late afternoon) that they have no funds to redistribute.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:48 pm

fcowrx wrote:
mikeddaqb wrote:Just denied my full scholly. Good luck everybody.
Seems like a lot of people are withdrawing with scholarship offers and yet UM still tells me (today, late afternoon) that they have no funds to redistribute.

+100! I need them to get it together.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”