Northwestern 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NayBoer

Silver

Re: Northwestern 2010

Post by NayBoer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I feel cautiously optimistic. NU has to take low gpa splitters to keep its LSAT up (its LSAT is way above its rank), its just a matter of which to take. I hope they feel, eh might as well lock up two of them now with ED, instead of running the risk of us taking money at WUSTL or UIUC and turning down the waitlist admit in May or June.
Your LSAT is much more secure than mine. I'm sitting at the 75th, but you are 75th+ everywhere but Yale. My average over dozens of PTs was 175 but I wasn't able to do it in June or September. A WL or rejection may be my punishment if Northwestern is able to push their 75th to 173 - making a 172 old news.

I hope NU is able to improve their scores and ranking. I just hope they do it while still admitting me.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:44 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I feel cautiously optimistic. NU has to take low gpa splitters to keep its LSAT up (its LSAT is way above its rank), its just a matter of which to take. I hope they feel, eh might as well lock up two of them now with ED, instead of running the risk of us taking money at WUSTL or UIUC and turning down the waitlist admit in May or June.
Your LSAT is much more secure than mine. I'm sitting at the 75th, but you are 75th+ everywhere but Yale. My average over dozens of PTs was 175 but I wasn't able to do it in June or September. A WL or rejection may be my punishment if Northwestern is able to push their 75th to 173 - making a 172 old news.

I hope NU is able to improve their scores and ranking. I just hope they do it while still admitting me.
I'll take anything as long as it comes with an admit

YellowCake

New

Post by YellowCake » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:54 pm

So are we feeling like tomorrow will be the day for ED admits?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:08 pm

NayBoer wrote:

NU has never hit 173. And I'm not sure they could pull it off. IMO they have a better chance pulling their 25% up to 167. 173/3.3+ has a good shot at MVP. That pretty much leaves 173/3.3-, not enough to fill a quarter of a class with.

If you get wait listed are you going to register for the Feb LSAT?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:NU has never hit 173. And I'm not sure they could pull it off. IMO they have a better chance pulling their 25% up to 167. 173/3.3+ has a good shot at MVP. That pretty much leaves 173/3.3-, not enough to fill a quarter of a class with.

If you get wait listed are you going to register for the Feb LSAT?
True, just seems like standards are rising and given the rise in applications there may be more of the qualified applicants to go around. Also, NU gives the fewest number of scholarship awards but the highest average amount - good for convincing MVP admits to come to Chicago. Not saying it will happen, but it's possible. There also could be a surplus number of >172 / <3 applicants fleeing the job market - and for the most part MVP won't touch these people.

I think if I get waitlisted I will take again. I retook in September, fucked up, got a lower score. So I don't have much to lose except time, money and stress. If I do retake, I hope I can sign up before the December kids get their results and flood the centers.

I'm not sure if getting a higher LSAT will matter, but at that point it'd be almost all I could do. I wrote both optional essays, flew out to the school to interview, applied ED, and have several years of work experience both in and out of law. It's not like writing them a LOCI is going to send any signals I haven't already sent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Also, if there's such a thing as OperaSoprano karma, then I deserve to get in for being such an obnoxious NU troll.

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:19 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I like you NayBoer. You are as neurotic as me but with much more initiative.

Any of those ED admits super low GPA splitters?
I didn't see numbers for either of them. Used the view user posts for the one with <30 posts, didn't see any numbers. The other one had hundreds of posts and no LSN, so didn't bother. Otherwise, only left with LSN.

wildcatorbust, 171 / 3.17 - 2008
satajo, URM 167 / 2.87 - 2008
throwdini, 171 / 2.95 - 2005

Not a great sample size. Six years of data and all we get are two URMs, two splitters, and two reverse-splitters. But if you look at the ED rejections, none of them scored 170+. So there's that, at least.
SpaceDawg wrote:What were the people wearing when they got their acceptances? I will wear that.
Hoodies = in
Skinny jeans = out
Carpenter jeans = waitlist (if accompanied by WE in carpentry)
ONLY a hoodie or can I wear pants? I have to go to work.

Drew2010

Bronze

Post by Drew2010 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:47 am

Is early January pretty much the consensus on when to expect Northwestern RD's to start coming in?

brindle

New

Post by brindle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:42 pm

So, judging from the recent past, today would be a likely day for ED acceptances to come out, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CAwolverine

New

Post by CAwolverine » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm

brindle wrote:So, judging from the recent past, today would be a likely day for ED acceptances to come out, right?
Yes, it's a possibility.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:49 pm

brindle wrote:So, judging from the recent past, today would be a likely day for [strike]ED acceptances to come out, right?[/strike] one's hopes and dreams to be crushed.
Fixed to fit my self-prediction.

YellowCake

New

Post by YellowCake » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:52 pm

NayBoer wrote:
brindle wrote:So, judging from the recent past, today would be a likely day for [strike]ED acceptances to come out, right?[/strike] one's hopes and dreams to be crushed.
+1

Finding myself very very unproductive today.

CAwolverine

New

Post by CAwolverine » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:01 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Can't spell "fixed" without "ed."

:wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:08 pm

You know, the more I look at the places I applied, the more I wish I'd EDd at Northwestern. I REALLY want to go there. I didn't ED anywhere because I figured that, on the very very off chance I got into HLS, I didn't want to be already committed elsewhere. Now I see how stupid that was.

Sigh. At least it's not too long before they get to RDers, right? :?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:15 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:You know, the more I look at the places I applied, the more I wish I'd EDd at Northwestern. I REALLY want to go there. I didn't ED anywhere because I figured that, on the very very off chance I got into HLS, I didn't want to be already committed elsewhere. Now I see how stupid that was.

I wouldn't feel too bad, the Northwestern Admissions Dean said on the TLS interview EDing doesn't really help, and to paraphrase him its a "feather on the scale." I did it because NU is my number one(that I realistically have even .1% chance of admission to), I've got zero chance at scholarship, I'll need that feather on the scale, and I'm hoping to avoid the WL that extreme splitters get at NU(even if eventually accepted they all get WL'd).

But yea HLS is pretty funny. The only thing funnier is my app to Harvard. If they were smart they'd bill me for wasting their time.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:You know, the more I look at the places I applied, the more I wish I'd EDd at Northwestern. I REALLY want to go there. I didn't ED anywhere because I figured that, on the very very off chance I got into HLS, I didn't want to be already committed elsewhere. Now I see how stupid that was.

I wouldn't feel too bad, the Northwestern Admissions Dean said on the TLS interview EDing doesn't really help, and to paraphrase him its a "feather on the scale." I did it because NU is my number one(that I realistically have even .1% chance of admission to), I've got zero chance at scholarship, I'll need that feather on the scale, and I'm hoping to avoid the WL that extreme splitters get at NU(even if eventually accepted they all get WL'd).

But yea HLS is pretty funny. The only thing funnier is my app to Harvard. If they were smart they'd bill me for wasting their time.
Well, yeah, I doubt it would help me any, but it would just be nice to know sooner rather than later, so that I can start working on the logistics of relocating, ya know? (Edit: assuming I didn't totally screw up my chances with my PS or interview or something)

And +1 to the HLS billing thing - they should probably bill me too.
Last edited by NancyBotwin on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If they were smart they'd bill me for wasting their time.
Didn't they already do that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:20 pm

ughOSU wrote:
Fee wavier.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:21 pm

ughOSU wrote:
:lol: Good point, but I think I probably cost them more than just $87 when you think about what their time is worth.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
Fee wavier.
You win.... eh, not really, but you are precisely one step closer to going to Harvard than I.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:54 pm

Guess decisions unlikely today. Almost 5 Central.

It's possible they will hold the whole batch until after Christmas.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:19 am

Naybs, why do you and your cat face do this to me? I was an anxious moron all day at work.Hoodie, no pants.

mte84

New

Post by mte84 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:26 am

Deleted for editing...
Last edited by mte84 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 am

mte84 wrote:How many people have had ridiculously positive experiences interviewing for NU? I can remember reading other posts about the interview being helpful and informative. I am wondering if it is a strategy of the NU staff. :)
Yea mine was extremely positive (on-campus). NU is the only school I even considered doing ED at, but decided that I really wanted to find out if I could get in to Berkeley (and NU is costs a lot). I have always loved NU though bc it's in Chicago and has a clear vision of what law school is going to be in the future.

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:44 am

mte84 wrote:How many people have had ridiculously positive experiences interviewing for NU? I can remember reading other posts about the interview being helpful and informative. I am wondering if it is a strategy of the NU staff. :)
+1. So if we all have had great experiences...we're all getting in?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”