Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
los blancos

Platinum

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:53 pm

crackberry wrote:ITT: TLS members have resorted to posting whenever they don't get rejected.

That's what I've been doing in the Berk thread. I'm going to start doing it here just to piss you off. :mrgreen:

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:04 pm

adameus wrote:I threw my hat into the ring at Stanford. Was planning on attending school in Canada but a Harvard acceptance has got me re-thinking things. I know a Harvard acceptance is far from a guarantee at Stanford but I like the idea of living in the Northern California a lot more than I like the idea of living in the North East United States so I've sent off my app and we'll see what happens...

Did you guys have specific LOR's for stanford?

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:04 pm

boilercat wrote:
crackberry wrote:ITT: TLS members have resorted to posting whenever they don't get rejected.

That's what I've been doing in the Berk thread. I'm going to start doing it here just to piss you off. :mrgreen:
Ditto! I wish Faye would show me the <3

And yes, I have one targeted LOR (and 2 non-targeted).

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:15 pm

adameus wrote:
adameus wrote:I threw my hat into the ring at Stanford. Was planning on attending school in Canada but a Harvard acceptance has got me re-thinking things. I know a Harvard acceptance is far from a guarantee at Stanford but I like the idea of living in the Northern California a lot more than I like the idea of living in the North East United States so I've sent off my app and we'll see what happens...

Yep. Two targeted, one non-targeted. It was pretty easy for me, though, since I went to Stanford UG.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:18 pm

adameus wrote:

Two targeted LORs, and my Form B included a 3 page letter from our Dean of Students.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:40 pm

both of you were accepted I assume?

I was just happy that some of the professors that I knew would remember me 3 years after being out of school were still at my undergrad and hadn't retired or moved to another school. I wasn't going to ask them to write me another letter.

Are there some people who have been accepted without the stanford specific letters?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:44 pm

adameus wrote:both of you were accepted I assume?

I was just happy that some of the professors that I knew would remember me 3 years after being out of school were still at my undergrad and hadn't retired or moved to another school. I wasn't going to ask them to write me another letter.

Are there some people who have been accepted without the stanford specific letters?
Yessum, back in December. I'm literally a median applicant (LSAT at median, GPA .02 higher than median), so I think the LORs and extra effort helped.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:46 pm

There are (I'm not one of them, only just went complete a few days ago, although I don't have targeted LORs, either). Most applicants do not have targeted LORs. Unless you went to Stanford UG, had a professor who went to or taught at Stanford, or were lucky enough to work closely with someone who went to Stanford, you're not going to be able to get targeted LORs. They don't just reject everyone without one, and I doubt it makes more than a small difference.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:47 pm

I sent in three targeted letters. Haven't heard back yet though and don't necessarily expect to (straight from undergrad).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Yeah I was accepted back in December as well.

jocelyne

Bronze

Post by jocelyne » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:01 pm

any movement yet?? Do not want anything in the snail mail now...

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:27 pm

jocelyne wrote:any movement yet?? Do not want anything in the snail mail now...
Nothing in the mail today (LA).

uganik

Bronze

Post by uganik » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:39 pm

The only thing in the mail was a ding from Yale. :cry:

I'm west coast- so it looks as though I've survived this wave of Stanford dings :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:25 pm

crackberry wrote:
adameus wrote:

Yep. Two targeted, one non-targeted. It was pretty easy for me, though, since I went to Stanford UG.
I sent two targeted letters from Stanford profs.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:33 pm

When I first encountered Stanford's Form C, I remember thinking that it would be an advantage for applicants who went to Stanford for undergrad. The comments here seem to confirm this. I would've liked to submit a targeted LOR, but I simply did not know any professors who were familiar with SLS.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Dignan wrote:When I first encountered Stanford's Form C, I remember thinking that it would be an advantage for applicants who went to Stanford for undergrad. The comments here seem to confirm this. I would've liked to submit a targeted LOR, but I simply did not know any professors who were familiar with SLS.
I think even having them take the time to fill out the form, though they aren't familiar with SLS, would be a slight "boost;" at the very least, it shows a concerted interest in SLS.

The two professors I had fill out Form C knew nothing about SLS. I figured, if I could do anything to show a greater interest, it couldn't hurt.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Dignan wrote:When I first encountered Stanford's Form C, I remember thinking that it would be an advantage for applicants who went to Stanford for undergrad. The comments here seem to confirm this. I would've liked to submit a targeted LOR, but I simply did not know any professors who were familiar with SLS.
They can still fill out the Form C. It is basically like "how well doesn't this student perform? Poor, Mediocre, Great, Excellent" and other various questions like that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:36 pm

One of my recommenders didn't know anything about the law school either; he asked me to supply him with some information about it.

I agree with Kretzy that the gesture is what counts, not their knowledge of the school's specific programs.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:41 pm

managamy wrote:
One of my recommenders didn't know anything about the law school either; he asked me to supply him with some information about it.

I agree with Kretzy that the gesture is what counts, not their knowledge of the school's specific programs.
Bummer. I actually had a professor who offered to write a SLS-specific LOR, but I feared that the letter would sound contrived. I just submitted the standard letter that he wrote for me.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Dignan wrote:
managamy wrote:

Bummer. I actually had a professor who offered to write a SLS-specific LOR, but I feared that the letter would sound contrived. I just submitted the standard letter that he wrote for me.
If you get held or whatever they do, you could always have him do it at that point. Hopefully, the issue won't arise, though!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Dignan wrote:
managamy wrote:

I wonder if getting a second LOR from the same professor who wrote one of the original LORs, this time using Form C, would make a difference. I mean, there are plenty of professors who could write LORs for me, but the two who I know the best already wrote them, and I'd rather my Stanford-specific one to be from someone who knows me very well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:55 pm

i didn't even ask for school-specific LORs out of principle. if every school took that stance, applying to LS would be much worse, so we have to stand united and refuse to concede ground :P :P :P

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:02 pm

englawyer wrote:i didn't even ask for school-specific LORs out of principle. if every school took that stance, applying to LS would be much worse, so we have to stand united and refuse to concede ground :P :P :P
I did school-specific LORs for the top 6 only.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 pm

managamy wrote:
englawyer wrote:i didn't even ask for school-specific LORs out of principle. if every school took that stance, applying to LS would be much worse, so we have to stand united and refuse to concede ground :P :P :P
I did school-specific LORs for the top 6 only.
Wow, that's a lot of LORs

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:52 pm

I see you've got a new avatar, Managamy 8)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”