NYU 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jumpinjackflash

New

Re: NYU 2010

Post by jumpinjackflash » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:52 pm

has anyone been waitlisted?

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:09 am

yeff wrote:Late applicant - transmitted in late January. Happily, less than six weeks after my transmission via LSAC, my acceptance was postmarked! Got it earlier this week. 8)

I sure had no idea to be expecting anything though.

My question is - I got the thin purple envelope. Folks admitted earlier in the cycle - should I expect any good stuff in the mail, or rely on the admitted students website for everything?
you get some decent stuff in the mail. if memory serves, they mail you a little map of the area NYU is in, the law school magazine, a book with biographies of all the faculty, and a book that just talks about different aspects of NYU (clinics, public interest stuff, etc.). oh, and you also get an additional 3 page letter from the dean about the school. I think that's about it, though someone can correct me if I'm wrong!

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:09 pm

jumpinjackflash wrote:has anyone been waitlisted?
Only one on LSN, which makes me think he misinterpreted his hold as a waitlist.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:13 pm

mayosmith wrote:
NYU sends out holds? Do you mean ED deferrals?

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:18 pm

starsong wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
NYU sends out holds? Do you mean ED deferrals?
I do indeed. Proud owner of one myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doopwooper

Bronze

Post by doopwooper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:26 pm

STILL haven't heard anything (Ive been complete since October.)

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know if NYU mails to your permanent or current address?

sikwitt

New

Post by sikwitt » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:34 pm

doopwooper wrote:STILL haven't heard anything (Ive been complete since October.)

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know if NYU mails to your permanent or current address?

current

chi16

New

Post by chi16 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Anyone planning on attending the April admitted student days? Does NYU provide any reimbursement or stipend? Apologies if this has already been covered.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:18 pm

chi16 wrote:Anyone planning on attending the April admitted student days? Does NYU provide any reimbursement or stipend? Apologies if this has already been covered.
I know someone mentioned they e-mailed and asked about a reimbursement and were successful in receiving one. Other than that, only scholars program finalists and scholarship recipients (I think) receive reimbursement. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chinny123

New

Post by chinny123 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:36 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
chi16 wrote:Anyone planning on attending the April admitted student days? Does NYU provide any reimbursement or stipend? Apologies if this has already been covered.
I know someone mentioned they e-mailed and asked about a reimbursement and were successful in receiving one. Other than that, only scholars program finalists and scholarship recipients (I think) receive reimbursement. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Dean's Scholarship recipients? I don't know, I haven't heard anything about reimbursement...

nax425

Bronze

Post by nax425 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:33 am

ok so some decisions should be rolling out soon...right?

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:34 am

nax425 wrote:ok so some decisions should be rolling out soon...right?
right! (possibly...i think)

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 am

Just got off the phone with NYU. The staff is friendly but the school seems very disorganized and unable to accomodate. I told them I'm a pending applicant and I was wondering if it was possible to meet with an admissions counselor this week, since I'll be in the city. They said it's impossible.

I also explained that NYU is my top choice, but I have to give a seat deposit and withdraw from all other schools by April 1 at another school (my very close second choice). I asked if it was likely that I'd hear a decision by then, as I've been complete since October. She said it could happen but not for sure. Oh well...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 am

js87 wrote:Just got off the phone with NYU. The staff is friendly but the school seems very disorganized and unable to accomodate. I told them I'm a pending applicant and I was wondering if it was possible to meet with an admissions counselor this week, since I'll be in the city. They said it's impossible.

I also explained that NYU is my top choice, but I have to give a seat deposit and withdraw from all other schools by April 1 at another school (my very close second choice). I asked if it was likely that I'd hear a decision by then, as I've been complete since October. She said it could happen but not for sure. Oh well...
Are you sure you have to withdraw from all other schools? Most seat deposits have language that states you have to withdraw from all schools that have given you a decision. I think most places allow you to keep pending apps open. I'd double check the language.

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:16 am

Just withdrew. I was offered a dean's scholarship. I hope the spot and the scholarship will go to one of you. Best of luck to everyone!

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:21 am

CG614 wrote:
js87 wrote:Just got off the phone with NYU. The staff is friendly but the school seems very disorganized and unable to accomodate. I told them I'm a pending applicant and I was wondering if it was possible to meet with an admissions counselor this week, since I'll be in the city. They said it's impossible.

Are you sure you have to withdraw from all other schools? Most seat deposits have language that states you have to withdraw from all schools that have given you a decision. I think most places allow you to keep pending apps open. I'd double check the language.
Unfortunately, this acceptance response sheet mentions pending applications as well. I feel very uncomfortable waiting until the very day of the deadine, but I guess that's what it's going to be.

nax425

Bronze

Post by nax425 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:22 am

hannah87 wrote:

UGH...right. Just got this:

"Thank you for your email. A decision has been made on your application. You should be receiving your decision by mail shortly.

Thank you for your interest in NYU School of Law.

Office of Admissions
New York University School of Law"

And checked the admitted students website and didn't get in. Sounds like a reject for me...

moving on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:28 am

nax425 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

"Thank you for your email. A decision has been made on your application. You should be receiving your decision by mail shortly.

Office of Admissions

And checked the admitted students website and didn't get in. Sounds like a reject for me...

moving on.
Not necessarily...from last year's LSN, WLs didn't go out until mid-April. And the ASW likely hasn't been updated yet. An acceptance seems more likely IMO.

nax425

Bronze

Post by nax425 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:34 am

starsong wrote:
nax425 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

Office of Admissions

moving on.
Not necessarily...from last year's LSN, WLs didn't go out until mid-April. And the ASW likely hasn't been updated yet. An acceptance seems more likely IMO.
If you're right, I'm sending you a box full of cupcakes.

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:36 am

nax425 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

Office of Admissions

moving on.
nax, what did your email say? i want to know if i should expect a decision shortly! but i also don't want to bother them more than i already have...

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:44 am

nax425 wrote:If you're right, I'm sending you a box full of cupcakes.
:-) I propose a TLS cupcake celebration if we get in to NYU...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:32 am

starsong wrote:
I'll thrown in a Donut Hole Wheel uptown at David Burke. (You use those little squeeze bottles to infuse the donut hole with chocolate..best dessert in history.)

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:42 am

mayosmith wrote:
starsong wrote:
I'll thrown in a Donut Hole Wheel uptown at David Burke. (You use those little squeeze bottles to infuse the donut hole with chocolate..best dessert in history.)

how about a max brenner chocolate pizza in union square?

nax425

Bronze

Post by nax425 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:43 am

hannah87 wrote:
nax425 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

Office of Admissions

moving on.
nax, what did your email say? i want to know if i should expect a decision shortly! but i also don't want to bother them more than i already have...
"To Whom it May Concern:

My name is Nick XXXXXXX (LSAC #XXXXXX) and I originally applied Early Decision. My application was held for review. I have not yet received a decision and would like to know if more decisions are to be mailed within the next week or so (or does the Committee anticipate it taking longer to mail out more decisions)?

Also, I sent two additional LORs as well as a LOCI in early February. Is there a way I could check that all materials have been received and placed in my file?

Thank you for your help,
Nick"

Not exactly a brilliant letter, but it got the message across. ...although a call is much more quick! My status just happened to change over the weekend. I've never talked to the same person twice over there, and I don't think they keep track, so I'd call first! Hopefully they get you some info...

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:47 am

hannah87 wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
starsong wrote:

how about a max brenner chocolate pizza in union square?

+1. Looks delicious!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”