Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
babaghanouj

Bronze

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by babaghanouj » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Sooo...... any predictions for when we'll see the first RD acceptances? 1 week? 2?

I think the first wave came around 1/22 last year... it's getting close!

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Sooo...... any predictions for when we'll see the first RD acceptances? 1 week? 2?

I think the first wave came around 1/22 last year... it's getting close!
I'm guessing (hoping!) the first wave will come out next week, just judging from previous years. pretty exciting!

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:41 am

Hope you're right, but I just saw this on the admissions blog: "The earliest completed regular decision applicants will probably start receiving decisions in early February." :shock:

It's from the interview with Eulas Boyd back in December (http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/admissions/). Here's hoping it's a cruel joke.

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:52 am

babaghanouj wrote:Hope you're right, but I just saw this on the admissions blog: "The earliest completed regular decision applicants will probably start receiving decisions in early February." :shock:

It's from the interview with Eulas Boyd back in December (http://blogs.law.columbia.edu/admissions/). Here's hoping it's a cruel joke.
hmm, good point. well, hopefully they said early february to be cautious and they're ahead of schedule :)

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 am

maudlinstreet wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:Hope you're right, but I just saw this on the admissions blog: "The earliest completed regular decision applicants will probably start receiving decisions in early February." :shock:

hmm, good point. well, hopefully they said early february to be cautious and they're ahead of schedule :)
I have a feeling that there may be some news in the last week of January. They probably want to state a date later than their target in order not to disappoint early RDs if they fall behind schedule.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:59 am

BTW, there seems to be an assumption on this thread that RD acceptances will be sent via email because ED acceptances were. That wasn't the case last cycle. ED admits got to know via e-mail but RD admits in the US were informed via regular mail. E-mail acceptances were only sent to those based abroad.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=200

I believe they'll follow the same process for this year as well. Thought this might be useful for those of us waiting....

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:42 am

ankit wrote:BTW, there seems to be an assumption on this thread that RD acceptances will be sent via email because ED acceptances were. That wasn't the case last cycle. ED admits got to know via e-mail but RD admits in the US were informed via regular mail. E-mail acceptances were only sent to those based abroad.

I believe they'll follow the same process for this year as well. Thought this might be useful for those of us waiting....
good to know!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:57 am

maudlinstreet wrote:
ankit wrote:BTW, there seems to be an assumption on this thread that RD acceptances will be sent via email because ED acceptances were. That wasn't the case last cycle. ED admits got to know via e-mail but RD admits in the US were informed via regular mail. E-mail acceptances were only sent to those based abroad.

good to know!
+1. It's very good to know. I wish that they had a regular status checker if they're going to notify only by regular mail, however, so that we know when to expect the letter.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 am

managamy wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:

good to know!
+1. It's very good to know. I wish that they had a regular status checker if they're going to notify only by regular mail, however, so that we know when to expect the letter.
hoping for a Hamilton? Would you take it? I think it would be crazy not to unless you are set on academia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:20 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
hoping for a Hamilton? Would you take it? I think it would be crazy not to unless you are set on academia.
Haha, academia is probably the least intriguing avenue to me of all the pathways that law school opens for you.

The Hamilton is a very generous offer, no doubt, but let's wait for it to materialize before we think about it too seriously.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Friend of a friend just received a Columbia WL email. I can't vouch for the veracity, but that's a retarded thing to lie about.

Edit: He was RD
Last edited by kittenmittons on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:00 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Friend of a friend just received a Columbia WL email. I can't vouch for the veracity, but that's a retarded thing to lie about.
oh shiester.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:00 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Friend of a friend just received a Columbia WL email. I can't vouch for the veracity, but that's a retarded thing to lie about.
Damn you Kitty. I went to my Gmail after seeing this and I had a new piece of mail from a "C" address. It was Crate and Barrel, fuckers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:02 pm

snail mail?? seriously? I would rather cumpuslively check my e-mail then run out to the mail box every hour, wondering if maybe your letter just got lost or something..

AWegrzyn17

New

Post by AWegrzyn17 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Just received an email this morning at 10:30 CST, saying the following:
Upon its initial review of your application for admission to our 2010 entering class, the Admissions Committee has requested that you submit your fall term, 2009 grades for its consideration.

As soon as possible, please send us a report of your fall term grades by email, while at once requesting from your registrar that an official transcript be sent directly to Columbia Law School.

We appreciate your cooperation in this regard, and look forward to continuing our review of your candidacy for admission to Columbia.
Did anyone else get this email? What do I do, just shoot them an email with my grades while waiting for the registrar to send the official copy?

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 pm

Was the friend of a friend RD or ED?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 pm

psychomohel wrote:

RD, should have put that in the original post. Fail

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 pm

AWegrzyn17 wrote:Just received an email this morning at 10:30 CST, saying the following:
Upon its initial review of your application for admission to our 2010 entering class, the Admissions Committee has requested that you submit your fall term, 2009 grades for its consideration.

As soon as possible, please send us a report of your fall term grades by email, while at once requesting from your registrar that an official transcript be sent directly to Columbia Law School.

We appreciate your cooperation in this regard, and look forward to continuing our review of your candidacy for admission to Columbia.
Did anyone else get this email? What do I do, just shoot them an email with my grades while waiting for the registrar to send the official copy?
Yep, lots of people get this. Just reply with your grades then go have an official transcript sent.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:05 pm

AWegrzyn17 wrote:Just received an email this morning at 10:30 CST, saying the following:

sounds about right. don't worry though, from what I hear grade requests are pretty random and go to all sorts of applicants (high gpa, low gpa, high lsat, low lsat, eventual admit, eventual waitlist, eventual reject), basically they mean nothing besides the fact that you're still in undergrad.

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:08 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
psychomohel wrote:

RD, should have put that in the original post. Fail
Well at least that means they are RD folks by email this year, assuming its true.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 pm

psychomohel wrote: Well at least that means they are RD folks by email this year, assuming its true.

true. if they'll WL you via email, they'll admit you via email too prob.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Does anyone know (I don't know how) the range of scholarships offered with the initial acceptance? I saw a few Butlers and Hamiltons mentioned in last year's thread but not any smaller/more attainable awards...

ClemCarter

Bronze

Post by ClemCarter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Swoon.

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:11 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
psychomohel wrote: Well at least that means they are RD folks by email this year, assuming its true.

Or maybe they just don't want to waste resources on snail mail for non-admits.

psychomohel

Bronze

Post by psychomohel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:14 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:

Or maybe they just don't want to waste resources on snail mail for non-admits.
Since both of our guesses are almost equally baseless, I'm going to disregard yours because it is easier for me to obsessively check my email than it is to check my snail mail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”