Columbia 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ljmrc3344

New

Re: Columbia 2010

Post by ljmrc3344 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:25 pm

Held.

Median numbers. My application was fairly explicit about Columbia being my top choice, but perhaps the fact that I expressed interest in their public interest and human rights programs made them think I was also big on NYU. I doubt it can be yield protection like some of you guys, as Harvard and Stanford rejected my face off. I doubt very much that Yale would be too different.

My LOCI (which will probably end up towing the line in terms of begging) is going to out pretty much immediately with an updated resume. I don't know if I can find a fourth LOR, but that might not even be worth it. Probably should have done early decision; I blame the fantastical, if unrealistic, allure of HYS, and Chicago's faculty.

At least it's not the damned waitlist or a rejection I suppose.

If you can hear me Columbia: I love you.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:29 pm

Held. Small white envelope. Dated Feb 10th. Not sure if I want to stay on the reserve list though.

Edit: Just read the second page detailing what "Reserve" means. Says that they won't evaluate us again until late May. Screw that.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:40 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Held. :( Hoping that Coal is right and this is smart YP. LOCI time!
Sorry, Bai. :( You're almost definitely going to get into one of HYS, but the wait still sucks. I can tell you with complete certainty that this is yield protection. Just be patient!
Welllll, I actually wouldn't put too much money on HYS, because I was already dinged by Yale, I didn't apply to Stanford because I wouldn't have gone, and I am still on hold at Harvard after a 11/6 JR1 (yikes). BUT, Columbia ranks above all those for me anyway, and I trust in your assessment of CLS and its clever YP. Besides which, my worry nerves are pretty much burned through.
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:Parents got nothing in the mail today except for a rejection from Michigan. I think I just made it pretty clear from my Michigan app that I didn't actually want to attend. Still a little jarring though. It would be nice to have an acceptance from a T6 school, or any T14.
Yikes! :shock: Sorry to hear that.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:45 pm

violaboy wrote:Held. Small white envelope. Dated Feb 10th. Not sure if I want to stay on the reserve list though.

Edit: Just read the second page detailing what "Reserve" means. Says that they won't evaluate us again until late May. Screw that.
So to clarify, you were put on the reserve list, not held, right?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm a bit confused. Reserve is a waitlist and not a 'hold for further review', right? I only got one page letter saying I was held for further review, and that I should except a final accept/reject/reserve decision by April 21st. It was a very nice letter, btw. Gave me a lot of hope of my chances for what it was.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:48 pm

do we have to fill out columbia's financial aid forms even if we haven't received a decision yet?

and where do we send LOCIs and LORs? snail mail or LSDAS?

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:51 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
violaboy wrote:Held. Small white envelope. Dated Feb 10th. Not sure if I want to stay on the reserve list though.

Dear Lord. They're two different things? Then I'm "On Reserve." I didn't think that Columbia would have two classes of "we don't want you yet and maybe never."

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:54 pm

violaboy wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

Dear Lord. They're two different things? Then I'm "On Reserve." I didn't think that Columbia would have two classes of "we don't want you yet and maybe never."
Reserve is a waitlist. Hold is just a deferral.

violaboy

Bronze

Post by violaboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Kronk wrote:
violaboy wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

Then I'll withdraw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Coal, this hold/reserve business Columbia is enacting is definitely doing what they wanted it to do.

It was my belief that the lower GPA (<3.75), high LSAT students (175+) are Columbia's 75th percentile, with the few Hamilton/Butler admits, were what propped up the high 75th% LSAT. They are now trying to make that group smaller with this hold business, with the interested students staying in limbo, and disinterested withdrawing.

For the median applicant, it seems like they want to get a better idea of where their median is going to be this year, and then decide whether or not to admit that applicant.

(My opinion is totally worthless, but it's fun trying to guess.)

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:17 pm

I remember seeing that Hamiltons and Butlers are relatively rare. Compared to NYU which seems to hand out plenty of specific interest scholarships along with the Dean's scholarship for general merit.

Does this translate into more need-based grant aid from Columbia?

Cherith Cutestory

New

Post by Cherith Cutestory » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:02 pm

Held letter in the mail today, dated 2/9. Guess my complex isn't as screwed up as I thought it would be (although it doesn't explain why I've missed like ten issues of the Economist and RollingStone). LOCI being written up as soon as I opened the envelope.

I guess I should be happy to hear something at this point. Ever since the GULC Christmas acceptance I've remained complete and silent at every other place I applied, so at least now I have something other than waiting to focus on.

Just for a pick-me-up for me and other worn down holds that might be reading, is there a way to see how many holds went to acceptance on LSN in the past years?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Cherith Cutestory wrote:Held letter in the mail today, dated 2/9. Guess my complex isn't as screwed up as I thought it would be (although it doesn't explain why I've missed like ten issues of the Economist and RollingStone). LOCI being written up as soon as I opened the envelope.

I guess I should be happy to hear something at this point. Ever since the GULC Christmas acceptance I've remained complete and silent at every other place I applied, so at least now I have something other than waiting to focus on.

Just for a pick-me-up for me and other worn down holds that might be reading, is there a way to see how many holds went to acceptance on LSN in the past years?
When did you apply?

With your numbers, I'm guessing CLS figured you're Harvard-bound.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:12 pm

booboo wrote:Coal, this hold/reserve business Columbia is enacting is definitely doing what they wanted it to do.

It was my belief that the lower GPA (<3.75), high LSAT students (175+) are Columbia's 75th percentile, with the few Hamilton/Butler admits, were what propped up the high 75th% LSAT. They are now trying to make that group smaller with this hold business, with the interested students staying in limbo, and disinterested withdrawing.

For the median applicant, it seems like they want to get a better idea of where their median is going to be this year, and then decide whether or not to admit that applicant.

(My opinion is totally worthless, but it's fun trying to guess.)
yeah except that it seems like they accepted a decent number of high GPA (close to or above 75th) and high LSAT (same) but didn't give them a hamilton and a butler - why would they do that if they were trying to gauge interest? i suppose all of those students could've expressed.

i think the holds might be a combination of trying to gauge the interest of some people and simply not having the time to have gone through all the files yet.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Got the hold letter today. :(

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:12 pm

scribelaw wrote:
Cherith Cutestory wrote:Held letter in the mail today, dated 2/9. Guess my complex isn't as screwed up as I thought it would be (although it doesn't explain why I've missed like ten issues of the Economist and RollingStone). LOCI being written up as soon as I opened the envelope.

When did you apply?

With your numbers, I'm guessing CLS figured you're Harvard-bound.
+1 i am guessing that historically, very few 175/3.9ish end up at Columbia law school unless they dish out the cash.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:13 pm

Held. Letter dated 2/9.

Withdrawing momentarily.

In other news, I feel bad for those of you for whom Columbia is your first choice. CLS' machinations this year are particularly annoying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Kronk wrote:
violaboy wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:

I am a bit confused. So if you've been held, that just means they haven't made a decision yet, but will make one in a month or two?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:25 pm

poprox wrote:I am a bit confused. So if you've been held, that just means they haven't made a decision yet, but will make one in a month or two?
Yeah. If you've been held they will make a decision (Accept/Reject/Reserve) by April 30.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:26 pm

Kronk wrote:
poprox wrote:I am a bit confused. So if you've been held, that just means they haven't made a decision yet, but will make one in a month or two?
Yeah. If you've been held they will make a decision (Accept/Reject/Reserve) by April 30.
You've done it again! Again, I miss Kronk, but it's okay. Kronk is a free spirit. (And I am sure he will be back soon enough... :twisted: )

Jacinda

New

Post by Jacinda » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm a URM on hold at CLS from their ED, but I was rejected from Hastings, UCLA, and Berkeley with a 3.5/163. Can anyone make sense of this? Is Columbia just pulling my leg?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cherith Cutestory

New

Post by Cherith Cutestory » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:28 pm

scribelaw wrote:When did you apply?
Pre-Thanksgiving, grade update request slightly post Christmas (which I was really happy about since I had a 4.0 fall semester).
crackberry wrote:In other news, I feel bad for those of you for whom Columbia is your first choice. CLS' machinations this year are particularly annoying.
Pretty much my situation. I went on one of their prospective student tours and was really surprised at how much I liked the atmosphere of the campus, plus my extended family lives a bus ride away in NJ. Smash cut to four months later and melancholy.

I think what really got me was that I had sort of given up on checking the mail. If Blockbuster online had sent me the right disc of Deadwood I would have had no reason to send it back and then absentmindedly open up my mailbox.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Kronk wrote:
OK, thanks. When I get home I will need to read the letter they sent me more carefully. I started to read it and just assumed I was waitlisted. I may have been held, because I vaguely remember some mention of a future date/deadline in the middle part of the letter.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Cherith Cutestory wrote:
scribelaw wrote:When did you apply?
Pre-Thanksgiving, grade update request slightly post Christmas (which I was really happy about since I had a 4.0 fall semester).
crackberry wrote:In other news, I feel bad for those of you for whom Columbia is your first choice. CLS' machinations this year are particularly annoying.
Pretty much my situation. I went on one of their prospective student tours and was really surprised at how much I liked the atmosphere of the campus, plus my extended family lives a bus ride away in NJ. Smash cut to four months later and melancholy.

I think what really got me was that I had sort of given up on checking the mail. If Blockbuster online had sent me the right disc of Deadwood I would have had no reason to send it back and then absentmindedly open up my mailbox.
Have you heard from NYU?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:32 pm

Is a LOCI a word/pdf you attach to an email, or is it the actual body of the email? Just want to know the proper procedure (besides actually mailing a letter).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”