In at Duke! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ranovr32

Bronze

Re: In at Duke!

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 pm

lz06 wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:Booked ASW and hotel for two nights pretty excited.
Anyone else bringing a serious girlfriend/fiancee/wife with them? Is it cool to bring them to the dinners and stuff, I signed up for the Associatin of Significant others group dinner, so that I could bring her to that. Any thoughts? Any in the same position?
I'm bringing mine. I went to his ASW last year and it was normal, lots of people bring their SOs.

edit: association of signifigant others? lol what is that
Its one of those weird law school associations lol I just signed up for that one cause it sounded spouse friendly haha Did you attend both days and all events or just the dinner and social at the end of the night, not trying to break protocol...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:47 pm

lz06 wrote:edit: association of signifigant others? lol what is that
I think it's a club for swingers :lol:

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
poprox wrote:Do you live east or west of the Mississippi? If you're out west, I doubt it would arrive only 2 days after the date it was sent.
When they mailed out last Tuesday people in Cali had it Thursday. Just depends on how far you are and the time difference. Mine arrived 3 days from the day the status checker said it was mailed, and most everyone else had it in 2 days. Good luck stalking out your mailbox for the next 24 hours!
lol, mine didn't arrive today so the stalking is over for now. It will resume promptly at 11am tomorrow.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:52 pm

I just opened mine - 75k. Probably the most frustrating amount I could get, since a lower offer would have been an automatic withdrawal and a higher total would have had me fairly excited. :?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:53 pm

I got 75k also, I'll probably be withdrawing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:55 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
poprox wrote:Do you live east or west of the Mississippi? If you're out west, I doubt it would arrive only 2 days after the date it was sent.
Is this really the case? Don't planes fly overnight to deliver mail? It's not like they have to drive it across the country or something. At least that's what I'm hoping because I don't want to wait another day!
Turns out I'm wrong. I thought both parcel post and first class mail were sent as surface mail, and only upgraded services (like priority mail or express mail) used air transport. Apparently since 1995 first class mail uses air transport too, and typically achieves a 2-3 day delivery window. Now I'm questioning why I ever pay for priority mail instead of first class....

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:58 pm

To soulleswonder and maggiebre,

Do you mind sharing softs (average, good, great), whether you wrote a Why Duke?, and whether you submitted the need access form? Again, major congrats to both of you!
Last edited by sundevil77 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 pm

maggiebre wrote:I got 75k also, I'll probably be withdrawing.
Congrats! If I were Duke I would have offered you 90k and a case of cheerwine.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:12 pm

maggiebre wrote:
poprox wrote:
Haha thanks! It's definitely what I was expecting, just not enough to tempt me away from other options.

Sundevil: My stats are linked to LSN (173/3.9). I'd say I have decent/good softs, but nothing that probably stands out against all the impressive applicants they get. No Why Duke (I'm regretting that now). I submitted my NeedAccess, but didn't request need-based aid on the scholarship form (there is no way I qualify if schools look at my parents' info).
You got 60k from Chicago rite... You could probably bid them both up using this.

bubbagump

New

Post by bubbagump » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Congrats!

Maggie, since you are in Philly, were you a 2/22 "decision sent" like me as well?

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:21 pm

maggiebre wrote:
poprox wrote:
Haha thanks! It's definitely what I was expecting, just not enough to tempt me away from other options.

Sundevil: My stats are linked to LSN (173/3.9). I'd say I have decent/good softs, but nothing that probably stands out against all the impressive applicants they get. No Why Duke (I'm regretting that now). I submitted my NeedAccess, but didn't request need-based aid on the scholarship form (there is no way I qualify if schools look at my parents' info).
Oh yeah, I had looked at your LSN profile. I was mainly wondering about the Why Duke?/Need aid form for you app. Thanks for the info. Anecdotally it seems that people tend to get a significant $$ boost if they have a good Why Duke?. I'm kind of wishing I would've written one as well.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Duke requires Need Access? I don't see that anywhere...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:29 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
toolshed wrote:Duke requires Need Access? I don't see that anywhere...
I was wondering about this as well.
I responded yes to submitting my NeedAccess... but I didn't do it specifically for Duke (I can't even remember if they were one of the schools I selected to have it sent to).

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:29 pm

No, they don't. Just fillout a FAFSA and the financial information on the scholarship form.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
No, they don't. Just fillout a FAFSA and the financial information on the scholarship form.
Thanks. Thought I was losing it for a moment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:28 pm

maggiebre wrote:
bubbagump wrote: Congrats!

Maggie, since you are in Philly, were you a 2/22 "decision sent" like me as well?
Thanks! And yes, 2/22 decision sent date.
ranovr32 wrote:You got 60k from Chicago rite... You could probably bid them both up using this.
Yea, I'm not sure I'm going to try to talk Chicago up... I visited and wasn't really a fan of Hyde Park, plus they have sqaut in terms of their environmental law opportunities. But I'll have to think it over, and I may try negotiating with Duke using my UVA offer...
Wow I got good money from Duke too but leaning heavily Chicago. Is Duke your top choice out of all your schools if so why? Is their Environmental Law program exceptional?

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:32 pm

toolshed wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Thanks. Thought I was losing it for a moment.
They don't require Need Access, but they do require that you fill out the Need Aid portion of the scholarship form. You can submit the scholarship form without filling out the Need Aid section and still be considered for Merit Aid. That's why I asked if the scholly recipients filled it out or not.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

wildbillkj

New

Post by wildbillkj » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:12 pm

parker09 wrote:
wildbillkj wrote:This waiting is rough, mine was mailed the 16th but still havent gotten it.
Im overseas though so hoping it will come by the end of the week.
Mine was mailed the 9th and I still haven't gotten it!

Being overseas sucks :evil:
Damn, hope Im not waiting that long.
should have sent all my stuff to my mom in Florida, could have just called her...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:25 pm

poprox wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:
Is this really the case? Don't planes fly overnight to deliver mail? It's not like they have to drive it across the country or something. At least that's what I'm hoping because I don't want to wait another day!
Turns out I'm wrong. I thought both parcel post and first class mail were sent as surface mail, and only upgraded services (like priority mail or express mail) used air transport. Apparently since 1995 first class mail uses air transport too, and typically achieves a 2-3 day delivery window. Now I'm questioning why I ever pay for priority mail instead of first class....
You can enter the source and destination zip codes on the USPS web site and get an estimated delivery time. Even cross-country first-class takes about 3 days between major cities. Priority mail might beat that by 1 day, if at all. The big difference is when you're not mailing between major cities, in which case Priority is worth it.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:35 pm

maggiebre wrote:
poprox wrote:

Close to the same stats, and similar results: 75K scholarship, but probably withdrawing soon

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:27 pm

My "friend" is visiting Duke tomorrow and is excited.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”