Cincinnati a bit of a sleeper - observations from a visit

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ruleser

Cincinnati a bit of a sleeper - observations from a visit

Postby ruleser » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:03 pm

Just to throw this out there after I visited recently.

Here are the suprise plusses:

You get instate tuition from day one, regardless of where you are from - this is because of some loophole that lets you move to KY just across the river and get a metro rate (same as instate basically) - so only $19K a year without scholarship.

It is a small school - only 120 or so per class (not classroom, 120 per entering class, broken down into sections of 20 students, class size 20-80) - and really has the feel of personal attention like a real private school. Yet it is directly attached to the massive University, with the cool football stadium mid-campus - and it is a very cool campus.

They not only publish the top Human Rights quarterly in the nation, but you can be a part of the staff as a 1L - with neither grade nor write-on requirement. For people who do this, you are basically guaranteed summer placement in a foreign externship of your choice - funded by the college. This is not because of lack of quality, but again because of small class size - a publication needs, say, 30 staff members regardless of if there are 120 per class or 250.

COL is nada - you can get an awesome 1 bedroom in a great complex with pools, etc. for $575 a month - or share with a roommate a 2 bedroom for $350 each.

Fair enough that if you want basic costal corporate law, prob not the top choice. But outside of T1 - and comparing maybe to American and some others, I think Cincy might be a bit of a hidden gem.
Last edited by ruleser on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wwarren

Re: Cincinnati a bit of a sleeper - observations from a visit

Postby wwarren » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Way to tell everyone in mid April! But seriously, if I had known about the tuition loophole I would have definitely applied.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:08 pm

wwarren wrote:Way to tell everyone in mid April! But seriously, if I had known about the tuition loophole I would have definitely applied.

I've only found this stuff out recently - most of it a few days ago. Luckily I applied prior to knowing.
Last edited by ruleser on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiwiApple

Postby KiwiApple » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Isn't it a dangerous city?

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:11 pm

KiwiApple wrote:Isn't it a dangerous city?

?? I've lived in NY, LA, and Chicago. Not too worried about Cincy. Plus, living across in KY, it is like pristine burb just minutes from the school.

OSUBoy21

Postby OSUBoy21 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:23 pm

The law school itself is kind of on the edge of the UC campus... which, no, is not really in the greatest of areas.... but that wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker for me. Just get your conealed carry permit. Kidding. :D

I got the same impression as the OP when I went down for a tour. I sat in on a larger 1L class and it didn't seem too large... Professor was interesting, too! Small class size, low tuition rate, etc... I left with a very favorable impression!

jezabel

Postby jezabel » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:05 pm

I completely agree...Cincy was a safety school for me in the beginning, but after visiting and a generous scholly and the loophole I am sold. The Ohio Innocence Project is also a unique and interesting opportunity.

usnwfu

Postby usnwfu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:14 pm

How was the distance from the law school to other parts of campus? long walk or... just a short hop? How's parking at the law school since most grad students are going to commute... Thanks for any info!

Marmot

Postby Marmot » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:28 pm

ruleser wrote:They not only publish the top Human Rights quarterly in the nation, but you can be a part of the staff as a 1L - with neither grade nor write-on requirement. For people who do this, you are basically guaranteed summer placement in a foreign externship of your choice - funded by the college. This is not because of lack of quality, but again because of small class size - a publication needs, say, 30 staff members regardless of if there are 120 per class or 250.

Top ranked according to whom? They do publish a journal called Human Rights Quarterly. The W&L journal rankings list it at #14 on an index system based on impact, citations, currency, cites in cases, and cites to cost.

kartal

Postby kartal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:08 pm

ruleser wrote:Just to throw this out there after I visited recently.

You get instate tuition from day one, regardless of where you are from - this is because of some loophole that lets you move to KY just across the river and get a metro rate (same as instate basically) - so only $19K a year without scholarship.

Can you please elaborate on this loophole little bit more? What is the KY metro rate? Why don't you get the metro rate if you live in the Cincinnati proper? What kind of paper trail you need to get the metro rate? This is really important to understand better.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Cincy is great. Being from Indiana I can take advantage of another loophole called reciprocity which allows residents from certain counties in Indiana to go to cincy for in state tuition. If I get in I'm def goin

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:22 pm

kartal wrote:
ruleser wrote:Just to throw this out there after I visited recently.

Can you please elaborate on this loophole little bit more? What is the KY metro rate? Why don't you get the metro rate if you live in the Cincinnati proper? What kind of paper trail you need to get the metro rate? This is really important to understand better.

Here are a couple links: http://www.uc.edu/registrar/graduate_metro_rate.html
--LinkRemoved--

kartal

Postby kartal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:10 pm

I do not know if there is any UC Law student following here. At any rate, I have couple questions if anybody knows the answers:

1. How is the grading curve at UC law school?

2. Do you see UC law school as a cut-throat (very competitive) school or not so?

3. Does UC Law use the Socratic method?

4. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

Thanks in advance.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:13 pm

I visited Cincinnati and had a tour with a current student, and he said that some professors use the Socratic method whereas others don't. He said it was a really laid-back environment, too. As for the other questions, I don't know.

Bruin2009

Postby Bruin2009 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:21 pm

I had forgotten that I applied to this school until i received the congrats email and then the in-state tuition and then the schollly then the journal and now small class size..... WHY DID NO-ONE EVER MAKE A NOTE OF THIS SCHOOL? Is there a catch?

kartal

Postby kartal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:28 pm

[quote="MBZags]
Here are a couple links: http://www.uc.edu/registrar/graduate_metro_rate.html
--LinkRemoved--
[/quote]

Thanks for this information. This is really great.

With this information, it is wise to live on the KY side. Then, you will obviously need a car. I do not believe that the public transportation will be an option. How long would it take to drive into the UC Law School from KY area? How is the parking situation around the law school? Where do you park? Can you get a monthly parking pass?

goblue2010

Postby goblue2010 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:40 pm

i grew up in cincinnati so i thought i could respond to a few of the questions about the city. Clifton is the neighborhood UC is in, which has traditionally not been the nicest or safest area in the city. however, it has gotten much nicer in the last 5-10 years than it used to be, so if you're talking to people who knew clifton ten years ago, they may give you a worse impression of it than it is right now. you can get to uc from parts of northern kentucky in 10-15 minutes. i also know that you can buy passes for a garage at school for pretty cheap. although i don't think i will be attending, i would be happy to give some recommendations for places to look to live, etc. cincinnati is also known to have a very low col. the law school is also only about ten minutes from downtown cinci, where the major law firms are. feel free to pm me if you have any other questions about the area!

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:52 pm

Plus, this is going to be a breakout year for the Reds. Great young talent: Chapman, Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Stubbs, et. al. Watch out.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:04 pm

The real questions here are: How many of their 1L's have paid summer jobs? What is the job outlook like for 2L's and 3L's?

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:29 pm

scribelaw wrote:Plus, this is going to be a breakout year for the Reds. Great young talent: Chapman, Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Stubbs, et. al. Watch out.

Their starting pitching depth is awesome, especially after all the crap that has been thrown out there in the past decade (e.g. Jimmy Haynes, Eric Milton, etc.).

qualster

Postby qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:42 pm

MBZags wrote:I visited Cincinnati and had a tour with a current student, and he said that some professors use the Socratic method whereas others don't. He said it was a really laid-back environment, too. As for the other questions, I don't know.

How is the city? How does it compare to Seattle and other cities?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 pm

qualster wrote:
MBZags wrote:I visited Cincinnati and had a tour with a current student, and he said that some professors use the Socratic method whereas others don't. He said it was a really laid-back environment, too. As for the other questions, I don't know.

--ImageRemoved--

or

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by chicoalto0649 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qualster

Postby qualster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:49 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
qualster wrote:

Oh really? Oh, well, hmm. OK.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:52 pm

qualster wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
qualster wrote:

Oh really? Oh, well, hmm. OK.

Sorry, didn't mean to be an ass. Cincy is perfectly adequate, but cant compete with the truly great american cities, like boston, nyc, seattle etc. I even like Columbus more than cincy. But i am biased

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:58 pm

I agree; I have been to Cincinnati quite a few times. While it has its perks, some parts of the city (e.g. Over the Rhine) are just terrible. Plus, the culture, landscape, etc. just aren't as rich or enjoyable as Seattle. I'd take Seattle over Cincinnati by a significant margin any day of the week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”