University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby trialjunky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:24 am

I wish they would change my status checker from "Decision letter in transit" to "waitlisted." How am I going to obsess over my WL status when the status checker won’t update! UF, you are cruel! I need something to check several times a day to see if there has been any progress, my OCD demands it!

/wrist

flowb
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby flowb » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:47 pm

nbatty wrote:Any 3/25ers hear anything?

What are y'all expecting?


At this point its anyone's guess. What I'm hoping is that they wanted to admit us outright instead of putting us on the waitlist, but needed to wait for more withdrawals. However, it is pretty late in the cycle for outright acceptances. So i dunno. Frankly, I went to the FSU ASD and was very, very impressed. This has made the UF decision a lot less anxious for me. If I don't get in, my decision is very easy (provided I don't slip through the cracks and nab an acceptance at fordham). If I do get into UF, then I have a difficult choice to make.

cigator
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cigator » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:41 pm

flowb wrote:
nbatty wrote:Any 3/25ers hear anything?

What are y'all expecting?


At this point its anyone's guess. What I'm hoping is that they wanted to admit us outright instead of putting us on the waitlist, but needed to wait for more withdrawals. However, it is pretty late in the cycle for outright acceptances. So i dunno. Frankly, I went to the FSU ASD and was very, very impressed. This has made the UF decision a lot less anxious for me. If I don't get in, my decision is very easy (provided I don't slip through the cracks and nab an acceptance at fordham). If I do get into UF, then I have a difficult choice to make.


Same here, I am liking the idea of FSU at this point. But will wait out UF a little longer. Funny how this law acceptance works. Waitlist at UF, and I just got home and see I was accepted at U of Arizona, which is a little higher ranked than UF.

Arpedzio
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Arpedzio » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:49 pm

Likely withdrawing within the next week or so from UF. Went to ASD at FSU, was quite frankly much more impressed with FSU than UF. Besides the huge alumni base and older name, I can't find any benefits to UF over FSU for myself. Also, FSU gave me quite a bit of money, while UF has given me nothing yet.

Hopefully one of you will get my spot. Good luck everyone.

steven3579
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby steven3579 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:51 pm

cigator wrote:
flowb wrote:
nbatty wrote:Any 3/25ers hear anything?

What are y'all expecting?


At this point its anyone's guess. What I'm hoping is that they wanted to admit us outright instead of putting us on the waitlist, but needed to wait for more withdrawals. However, it is pretty late in the cycle for outright acceptances. So i dunno. Frankly, I went to the FSU ASD and was very, very impressed. This has made the UF decision a lot less anxious for me. If I don't get in, my decision is very easy (provided I don't slip through the cracks and nab an acceptance at fordham). If I do get into UF, then I have a difficult choice to make.




Same here, I am liking the idea of FSU at this point. But will wait out UF a little longer. Funny how this law acceptance works. Waitlist at UF, and I just got home and see I was accepted at U of Arizona, which is a little higher ranked than UF.

Same situation. Waitlist@UF, Acceptance at UofA and FSU. I was so convinced that I wanted to go to UF that I didn't even consider UofA. But now I like the idea of Arizona (WA resident). Let me know where you end up.

redsox77
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby redsox77 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 pm

Does anyone have a logical way of knowing how long the waitlist is or the realistic chances of actually getting off the list? I have a 161 and 3.7 and was part of the DLIT 3/16 crowd. Anyone have any insights or observations because the admissions office certainly is not much help.

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby ShiftyPig » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:24 pm

redsox77 wrote:Does anyone have a logical way of knowing how long the waitlist is or the realistic chances of actually getting off the list? I have a 161 and 3.7 and was part of the DLIT 3/16 crowd. Anyone have any insights or observations because the admissions office certainly is not much help.


If I recall, there was a rapid-fire round of WL action in early May last year.

I'm not trying to get your hopes up, but that seems to ring a bell. Just checked.... yeah, look a few posts down on this page: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47913&start=1650

I hope it doesn't show how many times I had to edit that to et that right :shock:

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Just withdrew my acceptance from UF, also freeing up scholarship money. As a FL resident, I love UF, but I am 99% sure I am attending Vandy. Yall may see me around this thread, but best of luck to everyone, and have a great time at UF.

Sean Bateman
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Sean Bateman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Accepted about a month ago....just thought I'd pop in this thread already.

I'm seriously considering UF, going to visit sometime during April. Wondering if any of you scholarship people would mind posting your numbers and how much $$ you got?

cao0008
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cao0008 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Has anyone paid the deposit online? My deposit deadline is on Thursday and I went to this website https://lists.law.ufl.edu/SeatDeposit/origin to pay the deposit, but once I hit Begin Payment, it doesn't work. Is it just my computer? Or does the application not work? :(

cao0008
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cao0008 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:37 pm

cao0008 wrote:Has anyone paid the deposit online? My deposit deadline is on Thursday and I went to this website https://lists.law.ufl.edu/SeatDeposit/origin to pay the deposit, but once I hit Begin Payment, it doesn't work. Is it just my computer? Or does the application not work? :(


False alarm, my mistake. If you plan to pay online, make sure you write your name exactly like they have it on record. :)

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:22 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:Accepted about a month ago....just thought I'd pop in this thread already.

I'm seriously considering UF, going to visit sometime during April. Wondering if any of you scholarship people would mind posting your numbers and how much $$ you got?


FL resident. 168/3.75. $30k.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby lawduder » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:26 pm

Sean Bateman wrote:Accepted about a month ago....just thought I'd pop in this thread already.

I'm seriously considering UF, going to visit sometime during April. Wondering if any of you scholarship people would mind posting your numbers and how much $$ you got?


in-state 167/3.55 - $15,000 for 1L

User avatar
Midnight Rider
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Midnight Rider » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:36 pm

I'm still under review by committee, no change since 3/2. App was complete in late January. I have tried to look for similar patterns, but still looks like I should be on the WL or dinged by now. Any similar out there or insight into primary pool applicants not yet reviewed?

colforbin
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:09 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby colforbin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 pm

lawduder wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:Accepted about a month ago....just thought I'd pop in this thread already.

I'm seriously considering UF, going to visit sometime during April. Wondering if any of you scholarship people would mind posting your numbers and how much $$ you got?


in-state 167/3.55 - $15,000 for 1L


That's not very encouraging. I guess I shouldn't be expecting much with a 164/3.7 OOS

I can't see myself attending at sticker...

cao0008
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cao0008 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:22 am

colforbin wrote:
lawduder wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:Accepted about a month ago....just thought I'd pop in this thread already.

I'm seriously considering UF, going to visit sometime during April. Wondering if any of you scholarship people would mind posting your numbers and how much $$ you got?


in-state 167/3.55 - $15,000 for 1L


That's not very encouraging. I guess I shouldn't be expecting much with a 164/3.7 OOS

I can't see myself attending at sticker...



3.9/162 in-state 30,000

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:35 am

colforbin wrote:
lawduder wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:Accepted about a month ago....just thought I'd pop in this thread already.

I'm seriously considering UF, going to visit sometime during April. Wondering if any of you scholarship people would mind posting your numbers and how much $$ you got?


in-state 167/3.55 - $15,000 for 1L


That's not very encouraging. I guess I shouldn't be expecting much with a 164/3.7 OOS

I can't see myself attending at sticker...


Don't worry; you'll get money (unless you have a red flag). However, you probably won't get what cao0008 got, as he is a URM.

cao0008
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cao0008 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:09 pm

Lomax wrote:
colforbin wrote:
lawduder wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:Accepted about a month ago....just thought I'd pop in this thread already.

I'm seriously considering UF, going to visit sometime during April. Wondering if any of you scholarship people would mind posting your numbers and how much $$ you got?


in-state 167/3.55 - $15,000 for 1L


That's not very encouraging. I guess I shouldn't be expecting much with a 164/3.7 OOS

I can't see myself attending at sticker...


Don't worry; you'll get money (unless you have a red flag). However, you probably won't get what cao0008 got, as he is a URM.


I'm actually a she and I'm not a URM, I am hispanic though.

fcowrx
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:44 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm

cao0008 wrote:I'm actually a she and I'm not a URM, I am hispanic though.


Wish I hadn't screwed around as much my first two years in UG lol. 3.5/162 non-URM Hispanic: $18k

cigator
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cigator » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:23 pm

fcowrx wrote:
cao0008 wrote:I'm actually a she and I'm not a URM, I am hispanic though.


Wish I hadn't screwed around as much my first two years in UG lol. 3.5/162 non-URM Hispanic: $18k


I wish people would quit with the URM stuff. Clearly Hispanic qualifies for URM. If 3.5/162 gets 18K, and I'm 3.6/162 on waitlist as poor caucasian.

cao0008
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cao0008 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:51 pm

cigator wrote:
fcowrx wrote:
cao0008 wrote:I'm actually a she and I'm not a URM, I am hispanic though.


Wish I hadn't screwed around as much my first two years in UG lol. 3.5/162 non-URM Hispanic: $18k


I wish people would quit with the URM stuff. Clearly Hispanic qualifies for URM. If 3.5/162 gets 18K, and I'm 3.6/162 on waitlist as poor caucasian.



If I were a URM I would be going to Cornell like my friend who has similar numbers or I would have gotten full tuition at UF like my friend who got a 150. IMO

fcowrx
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:44 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 pm

cao0008 wrote:
cigator wrote:
fcowrx wrote:
cao0008 wrote:I'm actually a she and I'm not a URM, I am hispanic though.


Wish I hadn't screwed around as much my first two years in UG lol. 3.5/162 non-URM Hispanic: $18k


I wish people would quit with the URM stuff. Clearly Hispanic qualifies for URM. If 3.5/162 gets 18K, and I'm 3.6/162 on waitlist as poor caucasian.



If I were a URM I would be going to Cornell like my friend who has similar numbers or I would have gotten full tuition at UF like my friend who got a 150. IMO


A friend of mine got into UF with your same stats, non-URM/non-Hispanic, soft factors do come into play. And I agree with cao0008, if I were considered as a URM I would have been awarded more money at UF and have received some acceptances in the T14 like a few friends have.

Did adding diversity to the school as a Hispanic and through other soft factors contribute to my scholarship award, of course. But your ignorant and blatant anti-Hispanic/URM trolling has to stop. Grow up, seriously...
Last edited by fcowrx on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:37 pm

cigator wrote:
fcowrx wrote:
cao0008 wrote:I'm actually a she and I'm not a URM, I am hispanic though.


Wish I hadn't screwed around as much my first two years in UG lol. 3.5/162 non-URM Hispanic: $18k


I wish people would quit with the URM stuff. Clearly Hispanic qualifies for URM. If 3.5/162 gets 18K, and I'm 3.6/162 on waitlist as poor caucasian.


URM does not necessarily equate to hispanic, but it is possible that UF also wants hispanics in general (they may be white, mixed, etc.), and that's why the 3.5/162 got money.

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: University of Florida

Postby Lomax » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:41 pm

cao0008 wrote:
cigator wrote:
fcowrx wrote:
cao0008 wrote:I'm actually a she and I'm not a URM, I am hispanic though.


Wish I hadn't screwed around as much my first two years in UG lol. 3.5/162 non-URM Hispanic: $18k


I wish people would quit with the URM stuff. Clearly Hispanic qualifies for URM. If 3.5/162 gets 18K, and I'm 3.6/162 on waitlist as poor caucasian.



If I were a URM I would be going to Cornell like my friend who has similar numbers or I would have gotten full tuition at UF like my friend who got a 150. IMO


cao0008 wrote:I am an URM. Is UF hurting that bad for diversity? I wouldn't have thought so. Perfect picture JCougar! If you haven't yet noticed, being a URM gives you a boost when applying to just about any law school. UF isn't "hurting that bad for diversity", I don't think, but it still benefit...


I can almost guarantee you that you were awarded as much money as you were because of your ethnicity. Whether or not you consider yourself to be technically-qualified as a URM at this moment is irrelevant. I do apologize for misrepresenting your gender. I abide by the Laws of the Internet.

Also, cao0008, I want you to consider this - LSN shows only one other "non-URM" with an LSAT score under 164 getting over $20,000 (a white guy with strong softs going by "Pseudonym"). Both you and the other guy applied to Emory, a school notorious for favoring URMs. The other guy got waitlisted. You got accepted and were offered $42,000. You also both applied to Washington and Lee. You got in; he got waitlisted.

cao0008
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: University of Florida

Postby cao0008 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:48 pm

cao0008 wrote:I am an URM. Is UF hurting that bad for diversity? I wouldn't have thought so. Perfect picture JCougar! If you haven't yet noticed, being a URM gives you a boost when applying to just about any law school. UF isn't "hurting that bad for diversity", I don't think, but it still benefit...


I can almost guarantee you that you were awarded as much money as you were because of your ethnicity. Whether or not you consider yourself to be technically-qualified as a URM at this moment is irrelevant. I do apologize for misrepresenting your gender. I abide by the Laws of the Internet.

Also, cao0008, I want you to consider this - LSN shows only one other "non-URM" with an LSAT score under 164 getting over $20,000 (a white guy with strong softs going by "Pseudonym"). Both you and the other guy applied to Emory, a school notorious for favoring URMs. The other guy got waitlisted. You got accepted and were offered $42,000. You also both applied to Washington and Lee. You got in; he got waitlisted.


lol First of all, if you're going to quote my history, at least make sure I wrote what it says there. The quote that you have is a quote that I made of someone else's post who said they were a URM, not me. If you click on it, you'll see that I was just answering a question I think. So I'm not a crazy person who randomly decides is a URM or not depending on the day. I'm not saying that being Hispanic doesn't give me some kind of boost, I'm just saying is that it will not give me the kind of boost that it gives URMs. I still think that saying that I got the 30,000 just because I'm Hispanic is arguable. Now, stop the stalking :P




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”