University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby KPUSN07 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:47 am

Watababe wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Watababe wrote:Another 1L here also willing to answer any questions!


How does Illinois place in big law? It seems actually better than thought, true?


True! I was actually talking with a few fellow 1Ls at the end of the semester about how, if you don't really check for yourself, you get the impression UIUC places like 10% into big law, when in reality we were most recently about 34%, and I think we're on track for that to stay pretty steady/go up. Having now experienced a semester there, I can tell you the school really works hard to get the placements. They have good relationships with several big firms, between school and org sponsored events there are tons of opportunities to visit offices, and they've got a few great summer programs geared towards helping you land a big law spot. And finally, always keep in mind that the 34% is not the top 34% of the class...people choose other paths/have other interests, so realistically it's probably more the top 40% or even reaching to anyone above median.


I threw an application in last night - very surprised and impressed by Illinois based on their NALP report... Although, I'd imagine all the Big Law jobs are in Chicago....

https://www.lawschooltransparency.com/d ... linois.pdf

User avatar
Watababe

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Watababe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:21 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Watababe wrote:Another 1L here also willing to answer any questions!


How does Illinois place in big law? It seems actually better than thought, true?


True! I was actually talking with a few fellow 1Ls at the end of the semester about how, if you don't really check for yourself, you get the impression UIUC places like 10% into big law, when in reality we were most recently about 34%, and I think we're on track for that to stay pretty steady/go up. Having now experienced a semester there, I can tell you the school really works hard to get the placements. They have good relationships with several big firms, between school and org sponsored events there are tons of opportunities to visit offices, and they've got a few great summer programs geared towards helping you land a big law spot. And finally, always keep in mind that the 34% is not the top 34% of the class...people choose other paths/have other interests, so realistically it's probably more the top 40% or even reaching to anyone above median.


I threw an application in last night - very surprised and impressed by Illinois based on their NALP report... Although, I'd imagine all the Big Law jobs are in Chicago....

https://www.lawschooltransparency.com/d ... linois.pdf


The majority likely are, but some also go to St. Louis and New York...I know my small section has one or two planning on taking the New York Bar

darthrevan92

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:26 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby darthrevan92 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Is Illinois's reputation mostly regional? Do you know if they are able to place in California for big law? Also, I was wondering when we should expect to hear back for our admission decisions. :)

Watababe wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Watababe wrote:Another 1L here also willing to answer any questions!


How does Illinois place in big law? It seems actually better than thought, true?


True! I was actually talking with a few fellow 1Ls at the end of the semester about how, if you don't really check for yourself, you get the impression UIUC places like 10% into big law, when in reality we were most recently about 34%, and I think we're on track for that to stay pretty steady/go up. Having now experienced a semester there, I can tell you the school really works hard to get the placements. They have good relationships with several big firms, between school and org sponsored events there are tons of opportunities to visit offices, and they've got a few great summer programs geared towards helping you land a big law spot. And finally, always keep in mind that the 34% is not the top 34% of the class...people choose other paths/have other interests, so realistically it's probably more the top 40% or even reaching to anyone above median.


I threw an application in last night - very surprised and impressed by Illinois based on their NALP report... Although, I'd imagine all the Big Law jobs are in Chicago....

https://www.lawschooltransparency.com/d ... linois.pdf


The majority likely are, but some also go to St. Louis and New York...I know my small section has one or two planning on taking the New York Bar

User avatar
Watababe

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Watababe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:55 am

It is fairly regional, but people still get jobs all over the place every year. I do know people have been able to end up in California. I will say the less you're aiming for Chicago/Illinois/St. Louis, the harder you'll have to work, but I've never met an alum that wasn't friendly and I am pretty sure there's a decent alumni network in California (as in, I've seen a few alumni events advertised for there)

For admissions decisions, I know last year it seemed like it was taking them forever to get back to us. I think first wave went out around now-ish, but I honestly hadn't even applied quite yet this time last year (it took me almost another week), and I think I ended up with a decision at the beginning of March.

darthrevan92 wrote:Is Illinois's reputation mostly regional? Do you know if they are able to place in California for big law? Also, I was wondering when we should expect to hear back for our admission decisions. :)

Watababe wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Watababe wrote:Another 1L here also willing to answer any questions!


How does Illinois place in big law? It seems actually better than thought, true?


True! I was actually talking with a few fellow 1Ls at the end of the semester about how, if you don't really check for yourself, you get the impression UIUC places like 10% into big law, when in reality we were most recently about 34%, and I think we're on track for that to stay pretty steady/go up. Having now experienced a semester there, I can tell you the school really works hard to get the placements. They have good relationships with several big firms, between school and org sponsored events there are tons of opportunities to visit offices, and they've got a few great summer programs geared towards helping you land a big law spot. And finally, always keep in mind that the 34% is not the top 34% of the class...people choose other paths/have other interests, so realistically it's probably more the top 40% or even reaching to anyone above median.


I threw an application in last night - very surprised and impressed by Illinois based on their NALP report... Although, I'd imagine all the Big Law jobs are in Chicago....

https://www.lawschooltransparency.com/d ... linois.pdf


The majority likely are, but some also go to St. Louis and New York...I know my small section has one or two planning on taking the New York Bar

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby KPUSN07 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Watababe wrote:It is fairly regional, but people still get jobs all over the place every year. I do know people have been able to end up in California. I will say the less you're aiming for Chicago/Illinois/St. Louis, the harder you'll have to work, but I've never met an alum that wasn't friendly and I am pretty sure there's a decent alumni network in California (as in, I've seen a few alumni events advertised for there)

For admissions decisions, I know last year it seemed like it was taking them forever to get back to us. I think first wave went out around now-ish, but I honestly hadn't even applied quite yet this time last year (it took me almost another week), and I think I ended up with a decision at the beginning of March.

darthrevan92 wrote:Is Illinois's reputation mostly regional? Do you know if they are able to place in California for big law? Also, I was wondering when we should expect to hear back for our admission decisions. :)

Watababe wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Watababe wrote:Another 1L here also willing to answer any questions!


How does Illinois place in big law? It seems actually better than thought, true?


True! I was actually talking with a few fellow 1Ls at the end of the semester about how, if you don't really check for yourself, you get the impression UIUC places like 10% into big law, when in reality we were most recently about 34%, and I think we're on track for that to stay pretty steady/go up. Having now experienced a semester there, I can tell you the school really works hard to get the placements. They have good relationships with several big firms, between school and org sponsored events there are tons of opportunities to visit offices, and they've got a few great summer programs geared towards helping you land a big law spot. And finally, always keep in mind that the 34% is not the top 34% of the class...people choose other paths/have other interests, so realistically it's probably more the top 40% or even reaching to anyone above median.


I threw an application in last night - very surprised and impressed by Illinois based on their NALP report... Although, I'd imagine all the Big Law jobs are in Chicago....

https://www.lawschooltransparency.com/d ... linois.pdf


The majority likely are, but some also go to St. Louis and New York...I know my small section has one or two planning on taking the New York Bar


Cool - that is my position - thanks for the heads up timing wise.

hobbes1989

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby hobbes1989 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 pm

FN-2187 wrote:Just speculation here, but it may have to do with Illinois falsifying their data a few years ago which looks really bad. Furthermore, people are pretty loyal to rankings and UIUC isn’t ranked as well. Also, their employment numbers may be similar but they’re still not very good with clerkships. Finally, a lot of people may be more attracted to Boston than U-C for spending three years.


Yeah, it seems to me that UIUC law would be more popular if UIUC law was actually located in Chicago. If you want to do law school in Chicago and are stuck in the mid 160s, you’re kinda SOL. Too good for the other four schools, and not good enough for the coveted other two. At least Boston has BC/BU for people who are competent but not necessarily LSAT Gods.

olemiss18

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby olemiss18 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 am

Illinois released their first wave last year on the day after MLK Day, just an FYI. Does anyone happen to know what the seat deposit(s) are for Illinois? Also, they've had an impressive uptrend in scholarships the last few years. I think three or four years ago, only 35%-ish received over half tuition. Now that number is 66%. Incredible.

FN-2187

Bronze
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby FN-2187 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Dinged over email, hopefully everyone else receives better news!
Last edited by FN-2187 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
HankScorpion

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby HankScorpion » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Accepted via email! U of I is my alma mater so it's a good feeling to get into the law school for sure.

par283

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby par283 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:31 pm

In with $115K! Yay money!

BL2017

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby BL2017 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:31 pm

HankScorpion wrote:Accepted via email! U of I is my alma mater so it's a good feeling to get into the law school for sure.


Congrats! When did you submit? BTW, love your username lol

User avatar
HankScorpion

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby HankScorpion » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:33 pm

BL2017 wrote:
HankScorpion wrote:Accepted via email! U of I is my alma mater so it's a good feeling to get into the law school for sure.


Congrats! When did you submit? BTW, love your username lol

Applied October 8, complete in early November. And thanks, It's one of my favorite episodes.

BruisersMom912

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby BruisersMom912 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:33 pm

In with a full ride!! :D

bella26

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby bella26 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:59 pm

First time posting. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! Illinois is my top choice, but I am taking the 2/10 lsat and will not be applying until I receive my score. After looking at my law school numbers, I am surprised at the lower scholarship amounts compared to the last few years for above median lsat scores. Further, I'm surprised to see 161+ scores being waitlisted/rejected.

jstanhope14

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby jstanhope14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:00 pm

In today, status checker changed to "admit." No scholarship info yet, though. Anyone in the same boat?

jstanhope14

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby jstanhope14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:05 pm

Acceptance email went to spam. In with full-tuition! 3.66/163 for reference

User avatar
Catzzzzz14

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Catzzzzz14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Accepted 1/16! In with 33k in scholarship 3.70/ 154

ltepen

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby ltepen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm

In today with an 85% in-state scholarship, which I'm only slightly offended by since Indiana offered me a full ride.

BL2017

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby BL2017 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Congrats everyone! When did yall submit/go UR?

ltepen

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby ltepen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:30 pm

BL2017 wrote:Congrats everyone! When did yall submit/go UR?

Complete 10/31, UR 11/7

BruisersMom912

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby BruisersMom912 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 pm

BL2017 wrote:Congrats everyone! When did yall submit/go UR?


Submitted 10/30, UR 11/7

CADM1UM

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby CADM1UM » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm

In with about 100k

167, 3.23

jstanhope14

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby jstanhope14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:43 pm

BL2017 wrote:Congrats everyone! When did yall submit/go UR?


complete 10/30 UR 11/7

jstanhope14

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby jstanhope14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:52 pm

For students currently at UIUC: how feasible is it to get rent down to like $300-$400 per month? I've seen some 3BR houses on Zillow for like $750-$1200, but just wondering if those are generally close enough to campus, in safe neighborhoods, etc. Thanks! Any other tips on reducing living costs appreciated :)

User avatar
Watababe

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Watababe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:02 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:For students currently at UIUC: how feasible is it to get rent down to like $300-$400 per month? I've seen some 3BR houses on Zillow for like $750-$1200, but just wondering if those are generally close enough to campus, in safe neighborhoods, etc. Thanks! Any other tips on reducing living costs appreciated :)


If you're willing to have roommates, it's feasible but it will depend on how close to campus you want to live. I have a friend living in a 3 bed in Savoy and she pays about $400 a month for her part, but Savoy means needing a car or relying on shuttles/buses until you make friends with other people in Savoy with cars (easy, because a decent amount of people live there...I live there). Closer to campus there will be some as well, but you'll sacrifice having the nice looking places for the money. In general, staying south of University is the advice I've always heard.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alberto, debdeb314 and 15 guests