Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JoeyBG37
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:13 pm

Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby JoeyBG37 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Accepted. Good luck to everyone. Going to tour soon.

apollo12
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby apollo12 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Accepted with a full-ride scholarship on 10/16. When are you planning on visiting? I think I'm going to go to the ASD in February.

kimi14118
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:56 am

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby kimi14118 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 am

JoeyBG37 wrote:Accepted. Good luck to everyone. Going to tour soon.


Feel like I see your username in all of the discussions I am following.
Congrats on your acceptance! I live about half an hour from the school and applied because of my parents.
Just got a full-ride offer which makes me reconsider the school now. Have you joined the facebook group?

thebirdlawexpert
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby thebirdlawexpert » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am

Accepted with full tuition offer!

kmac1243
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:17 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby kmac1243 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Accepted last month! Good luck to all. Anyone visited yet?

User avatar
somewhereclassof2021
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:33 am

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby somewhereclassof2021 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:28 pm

In with a full ride - I'll probably be there in February. I like the idea of a small class size, but I am not sold on working in Pennsylvania afterwards, which may make me look stupid for considering it, but damn if the full ride isn't tempting.

JoeyBG37
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:13 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby JoeyBG37 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:12 pm

kmac1243 wrote:Accepted last month! Good luck to all. Anyone visited yet?


I'm going to check this one out again soon. I stopped by for a short one a while ago. I enjoyed this more than Happy Valley (UP)

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby bmathers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 pm

JoeyBG37 wrote:
kmac1243 wrote:Accepted last month! Good luck to all. Anyone visited yet?


I'm going to check this one out again soon. I stopped by for a short one a while ago. I enjoyed this more than Happy Valley (UP)

Not gonna lie - Carlisle is a pretty miserable place to live and the school is a fish bowl. Everyone knows everyone business. They do a great job with their accepted students days, but try visiting for 2 days outside of one of those before reaching a decision. Consider moving to Harrisburg and commuting, if you decide to do it.

User avatar
cjm720
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby cjm720 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:55 pm

bmathers wrote:
JoeyBG37 wrote:
kmac1243 wrote:Accepted last month! Good luck to all. Anyone visited yet?


I'm going to check this one out again soon. I stopped by for a short one a while ago. I enjoyed this more than Happy Valley (UP)

Not gonna lie - Carlisle is a pretty miserable place to live and the school is a fish bowl. Everyone knows everyone business. They do a great job with their accepted students days, but try visiting for 2 days outside of one of those before reaching a decision. Consider moving to Harrisburg and commuting, if you decide to do it.


Students' views on Carlisle seem to be love or hate. I'm finishing up undergrad at Dickinson College (which is immediately adjacent to the law school) and from what I've heard from people over the years the kids from large cities generally don't like it because to them its "bumfuck nowhere" in the middle of some fields in PA, but a lot of people like it because it's generally fairly quiet and there's a decent amount of stuff to do when you can't be bothered to study. I can't speak for the law school, but the college is definitely a bubble since we have generally very liberal students and faculty here in the middle of an area that is by-and-large conservative. Regardless, I'll probably end up going to Dickinson Law if I'm accepted with a sizable scholarship since I'm from central PA and wouldn't mind staying in the area/state for work.

If anyone wants to know more about Carlisle I'm happy to help; I've basically lived here for nearly 4 years now.

LSNlife
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby LSNlife » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 am

cjm720 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
JoeyBG37 wrote:
kmac1243 wrote:Accepted last month! Good luck to all. Anyone visited yet?


I'm going to check this one out again soon. I stopped by for a short one a while ago. I enjoyed this more than Happy Valley (UP)

Not gonna lie - Carlisle is a pretty miserable place to live and the school is a fish bowl. Everyone knows everyone business. They do a great job with their accepted students days, but try visiting for 2 days outside of one of those before reaching a decision. Consider moving to Harrisburg and commuting, if you decide to do it.


Students' views on Carlisle seem to be love or hate. I'm finishing up undergrad at Dickinson College (which is immediately adjacent to the law school) and from what I've heard from people over the years the kids from large cities generally don't like it because to them its "bumfuck nowhere" in the middle of some fields in PA, but a lot of people like it because it's generally fairly quiet and there's a decent amount of stuff to do when you can't be bothered to study. I can't speak for the law school, but the college is definitely a bubble since we have generally very liberal students and faculty here in the middle of an area that is by-and-large conservative. Regardless, I'll probably end up going to Dickinson Law if I'm accepted with a sizable scholarship since I'm from central PA and wouldn't mind staying in the area/state for work.

If anyone wants to know more about Carlisle I'm happy to help; I've basically lived here for nearly 4 years now.



+1 as a Dickinson College grad from a city. This description is pretty accurate.

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby bmathers » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:52 am

cjm720 wrote:there's a decent amount of stuff to do when you can't be bothered to study.

I guess that I have not seen any of this "decent amount of stuff to do"

User avatar
cjm720
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby cjm720 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:21 pm

bmathers wrote:
cjm720 wrote:there's a decent amount of stuff to do when you can't be bothered to study.

I guess that I have not seen any of this "decent amount of stuff to do"


I think it depends on where you're coming from. I come from a town in the middle of a field in PA with a population of about 80 people so for me theres enough to do. Most of what there is to do in Carlisle involves eating or shopping, in addition to a movie theater which is more than enough for me since I'm used to not having anything of that sort near to me and I spend most of my time focused on my studies anyway. But if you're from a medium-sized or larger city (or live here but don't go to school here) I wouldn't be surprised if you found it extremely boring. Many undergrads from out-of-state are from cities and spend most of their unstructured time drinking because they run out of things to do.

I will add that the food in town alone makes a visit worth it. I recommend Redd's Barbecue and Issei.

tominusprime
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:20 am

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby tominusprime » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Accepted 12/6 w/scholarship. Hope everyone else does as well!

apollo12
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby apollo12 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:11 pm

I just registered for the February open house. Anyone else planning on attending?

KPUSN07
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby KPUSN07 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Harrisburg to the law school is only like 25 minutes, correct? Does not seem that unreasonable

User avatar
cjm720
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby cjm720 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:55 am

apollo12 wrote:I just registered for the February open house. Anyone else planning on attending?


I'll likely be there in February. I'm in with a full scholly so this is more than likely where I'll likely be attending next fall. I've lived in Carlisle for the better part of the last 4 years for undergrad so if you have any questions about the area I'd be more than happy to help. Congrats on your scholarship!

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby bmathers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:18 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:Harrisburg to the law school is only like 25 minutes, correct? Does not seem that unreasonable

More 35 with no traffic. With traffic, can take much longer.

Anonymous Questioner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby Anonymous Questioner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:34 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Anonymous Questioner on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KPUSN07
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby KPUSN07 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:39 pm

I wonder if Dickinson is going to shoot up the rankings next cycle.... LSAT averages have gone up....

Anonymous Questioner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby Anonymous Questioner » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Accepted today with a full tuition scholarship! :D Thinking at this point that I'll probably be there next year. Anyone know whether housing stipends are typically offered later on in the cycle, or whether they're usually included in the original acceptance/award letter? Either way, I'm going to appeal, but just trying to assess my chances.

Hoping to see some of you in the fall!

User avatar
Eleven
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 am

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby Eleven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am

KPUSN07 wrote:Harrisburg to the law school is only like 25 minutes, correct? Does not seem that unreasonable


Please don't be confused into believing that Harrisburg is any better of a location than Carlisle, or that the number of things to do there is much greater.

If you are considering Dickinson, consider Nova and Temple first. Very different locations with better employment numbers, and likely not a significant difference in COA.

apollo12
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby apollo12 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Eleven wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Harrisburg to the law school is only like 25 minutes, correct? Does not seem that unreasonable


Please don't be confused into believing that Harrisburg is any better of a location than Carlisle, or that the number of things to do there is much greater.

If you are considering Dickinson, consider Nova and Temple first. Very different locations with better employment numbers, and likely not a significant difference in COA.


https://www.lstreports.com/compare/dick ... villanova/

For anyone interested, here are the three schools mentioned above compared head to head. Dickinson actually seems to be doing alright.

User avatar
Eleven
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 am

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby Eleven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:46 pm

apollo12 wrote:
Eleven wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Harrisburg to the law school is only like 25 minutes, correct? Does not seem that unreasonable


Please don't be confused into believing that Harrisburg is any better of a location than Carlisle, or that the number of things to do there is much greater.

If you are considering Dickinson, consider Nova and Temple first. Very different locations with better employment numbers, and likely not a significant difference in COA.


https://www.lstreports.com/compare/dick ... villanova/

For anyone interested, here are the three schools mentioned above compared head to head. Dickinson actually seems to be doing alright.


^^ This comparison doesn't account for region or salary. I'm speaking towards those who don't want to live in Cumberland County

apollo12
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby apollo12 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Eleven wrote:
apollo12 wrote:
Eleven wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Harrisburg to the law school is only like 25 minutes, correct? Does not seem that unreasonable


Please don't be confused into believing that Harrisburg is any better of a location than Carlisle, or that the number of things to do there is much greater.

If you are considering Dickinson, consider Nova and Temple first. Very different locations with better employment numbers, and likely not a significant difference in COA.


https://www.lstreports.com/compare/dick ... villanova/

For anyone interested, here are the three schools mentioned above compared head to head. Dickinson actually seems to be doing alright.


^^ This comparison doesn't account for region or salary. I'm speaking towards those who don't want to live in Cumberland County


Ah, gotcha. Sorry about the confusion!

User avatar
bmathers
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Postby bmathers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Anonymous Questioner wrote:Accepted today with a full tuition scholarship! :D Thinking at this point that I'll probably be there next year. Anyone know whether housing stipends are typically offered later on in the cycle, or whether they're usually included in the original acceptance/award letter? Either way, I'm going to appeal, but just trying to assess my chances.

Hoping to see some of you in the fall!

Offered later on in the cycle. However, someone told me that they may only be need-based this year, if at all available. Take it for what it's worth though, I can't confirm.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”