Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How much effort are you putting in to get off the waitlist?

Didn't even respond to the survey/ghosted them
2
2%
Withdrew from waitlist
15
15%
Responded positively to the survey, but no real subsequent effort
25
24%
Sent an LOCI/e-mail, but have bigger waitlist fish to fry
22
21%
Sent multiple enthusiastic LOCIs/e-mails + visited Michigan, but considering other offers
6
6%
Offered first born child to Dean Z to get off this waitlist
14
14%
Just here because I feel sorry for ya'll
19
18%
 
Total votes: 103

User avatar
chichi1992
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby chichi1992 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:06 pm

brinicolec wrote:Okay I'm nosey so I gotta know: what was the survey about? Lol


It was basically just: "Are you interested or nah? Respond within 14 days."

enoca
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby enoca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Just now WL. Put it on the board.

User avatar
melmelcoolj
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby melmelcoolj » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 am

No movement for the summer start class? I guess they are full for summer then.

User avatar
chichi1992
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby chichi1992 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 am

melmelcoolj wrote:No movement for the summer start class? I guess they are full for summer then.


Based on the threads from previous years, there is generally no movement until after the May 1 deposit deadline--even for summer starters.

User avatar
melmelcoolj
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby melmelcoolj » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:37 am

chichi1992 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:No movement for the summer start class? I guess they are full for summer then.


Based on the threads from previous years, there is generally no movement until after the May 1 deposit deadline--even for summer starters.


Wow, that seems super late for summer starters - after all, class/orientation begins on May 30th, so I assume you have to get everything together and move across the country/world in a matter of two weeks. I sort of regret checking the "summer start" option now.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby brinicolec » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:43 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:No movement for the summer start class? I guess they are full for summer then.


Based on the threads from previous years, there is generally no movement until after the May 1 deposit deadline--even for summer starters.


Wow, that seems super late for summer starters - after all, class/orientation begins on May 30th, so I assume you have to get everything together and move across the country/world in a matter of two weeks. I sort of regret checking the "summer start" option now.


Orientation begins May 30th, class begins June 1. Also, the deposit deadline is April 30th, not May 1st (not that a day makes a difference, but who knows lol. Either way, most summer starters aren't heading to AA until mid-May or later and subletting is a huge buyer's market because law students want to sublease their place to somebody - anybody - and the closer it gets to the end of May, the less likely it seems someone will be interested, so I think getting housing in order, at least, shouldn't be too much of a hassle (especially if you utilize both the class of FB group and the summer start FB group). Hopefully they'll do a bunch of work May 1st to try to notify as many of you as possible, esp. if you're chosen for summer start. The 30th is a Sunday so you probably won't see movement then

User avatar
chichi1992
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby chichi1992 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 pm

brinicolec wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
chichi1992 wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:No movement for the summer start class? I guess they are full for summer then.


Based on the threads from previous years, there is generally no movement until after the May 1 deposit deadline--even for summer starters.


Wow, that seems super late for summer starters - after all, class/orientation begins on May 30th, so I assume you have to get everything together and move across the country/world in a matter of two weeks. I sort of regret checking the "summer start" option now.


Orientation begins May 30th, class begins June 1. Also, the deposit deadline is April 30th, not May 1st (not that a day makes a difference, but who knows lol. Either way, most summer starters aren't heading to AA until mid-May or later and subletting is a huge buyer's market because law students want to sublease their place to somebody - anybody - and the closer it gets to the end of May, the less likely it seems someone will be interested, so I think getting housing in order, at least, shouldn't be too much of a hassle (especially if you utilize both the class of FB group and the summer start FB group). Hopefully they'll do a bunch of work May 1st to try to notify as many of you as possible, esp. if you're chosen for summer start. The 30th is a Sunday so you probably won't see movement then


Right right--April 30. Anyway, yeah, from the previous years' posts, it looks like people start getting feeler calls around May 2/3/4, with offers coming later the same week.

But truth be told, Michigan could call me at midnight on May 29th like a desperate booty call and I'd probably still go.

User avatar
charles117
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby charles117 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:14 pm

so are summer session people permanently 3 months ahead of everyone else or how does that work?

User avatar
chichi1992
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby chichi1992 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:50 am

charles117 wrote:so are summer session people permanently 3 months ahead of everyone else or how does that work?


https://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivest ... rters.aspx

"...while graduating early is the most frequent choice, summer starters also have the option of taking a semester off during law school and graduating with the rest of their class in May of their third year. Still others choose to attend an additional semester and graduate in May in order to pursue a dual degree or complete additional law coursework."

User avatar
haley12
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby haley12 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:35 pm

If you summer start do you have to pull yourself off all the other waitlists?

User avatar
mtf612
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby mtf612 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:59 pm

Withdrew. Best of luck y'all

User avatar
chichi1992
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby chichi1992 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:27 pm

haley12 wrote:If you summer start do you have to pull yourself off all the other waitlists?


This is a good question. Not that it matters for me because Michigan is the only WL offer I am seriously considering and I'd love to start this summer, but I am curious. I can't imagine you'd be able to stay on another school's waitlist indefinitely, complete the entire summer term at Michigan, and then start at another school in the fall if you get off the WL in July or August. But at the same time, people get pulled off waitlists after classes start in the fall all the time, so maybe you could stay on another school's waitlist for *some* time?

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:08 am

chichi1992 wrote:
haley12 wrote:If you summer start do you have to pull yourself off all the other waitlists?


This is a good question. Not that it matters for me because Michigan is the only WL offer I am seriously considering and I'd love to start this summer, but I am curious. I can't imagine you'd be able to stay on another school's waitlist indefinitely, complete the entire summer term at Michigan, and then start at another school in the fall if you get off the WL in July or August. But at the same time, people get pulled off waitlists after classes start in the fall all the time, so maybe you could stay on another school's waitlist for *some* time?


This is a question I'd ask admissions.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby brinicolec » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:09 am

charles117 wrote:so are summer session people permanently 3 months ahead of everyone else or how does that work?


Essentially, you're a semester ahead and will graduate in December. However, you can choose to take a semester off if you'd prefer to graduate in May.

User avatar
Leliana
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby Leliana » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Just withdrew with $$, best of luck!

User avatar
melmelcoolj
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby melmelcoolj » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Leliana wrote:Just withdrew with $$, best of luck!


Thanks! You are the best!

ykstll
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby ykstll » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Checking in!

marrismarris
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:27 am

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby marrismarris » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Checking in. The school I deposited at gave me a very generous scholarship though, so I'm wondering, how do scholarship negotiations work off the waitlist? Should I expect to get any money off of the waitlist from Michigan at all? 3.35/169 stats with valid addendum

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby brinicolec » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:42 pm

marrismarris wrote:Checking in. The school I deposited at gave me a very generous scholarship though, so I'm wondering, how do scholarship negotiations work off the waitlist? Should I expect to get any money off of the waitlist from Michigan at all? 3.35/169 stats with valid addendum


I think it'll just depend on how much money Michigan has to offer. I know people who are already admitted are engaging in negotiations right now so that might limit how much they have. Not 100% sure though

enoca
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby enoca » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:42 pm

marrismarris wrote:Checking in. The school I deposited at gave me a very generous scholarship though, so I'm wondering, how do scholarship negotiations work off the waitlist? Should I expect to get any money off of the waitlist from Michigan at all? 3.35/169 stats with valid addendum


Here's what LSN shows for WL acceptances the past three cycles:

2015-2016

158 4.00
163 3.95 $75,000
160 3.80 $45,000

2014-2015

163 3.85 $45,000
161 3.87 $10,000
175 3.98 $150,000 (!!!!)
165 3.90 $45,000
171 3.42 $54,000
167 3.81 $105,000
164 3.77 $75,000
167 3.87 $90,000
163 3.90 $60,000
160 3.92 $45,000
159 3.93 $30,000
161 3.84
164 3.80 $45,000

2013-2014

168 3.95 $75,000
163 3.76 $90,000
169 3.40 $90,000
164 3.75 $30,000
173 3.00

User avatar
melmelcoolj
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:43 am

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby melmelcoolj » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:44 am

enoca wrote:
marrismarris wrote:Checking in. The school I deposited at gave me a very generous scholarship though, so I'm wondering, how do scholarship negotiations work off the waitlist? Should I expect to get any money off of the waitlist from Michigan at all? 3.35/169 stats with valid addendum


Here's what LSN shows for WL acceptances the past three cycles:

2015-2016

158 4.00
163 3.95 $75,000
160 3.80 $45,000

2014-2015

163 3.85 $45,000
161 3.87 $10,000
175 3.98 $150,000 (!!!!)
165 3.90 $45,000
171 3.42 $54,000
167 3.81 $105,000
164 3.77 $75,000
167 3.87 $90,000
163 3.90 $60,000
160 3.92 $45,000
159 3.93 $30,000
161 3.84
164 3.80 $45,000

2013-2014

168 3.95 $75,000
163 3.76 $90,000
169 3.40 $90,000
164 3.75 $30,000
173 3.00


Wow thanks! But it looks like they only wanted reverse splitters for the 2015-16 cycle, so it is very scary for splitters like myself.

User avatar
brinicolec
Posts: 4452
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby brinicolec » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:02 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
enoca wrote:
marrismarris wrote:Checking in. The school I deposited at gave me a very generous scholarship though, so I'm wondering, how do scholarship negotiations work off the waitlist? Should I expect to get any money off of the waitlist from Michigan at all? 3.35/169 stats with valid addendum


Here's what LSN shows for WL acceptances the past three cycles:

2015-2016

158 4.00
163 3.95 $75,000
160 3.80 $45,000

2014-2015

163 3.85 $45,000
161 3.87 $10,000
175 3.98 $150,000 (!!!!)
165 3.90 $45,000
171 3.42 $54,000
167 3.81 $105,000
164 3.77 $75,000
167 3.87 $90,000
163 3.90 $60,000
160 3.92 $45,000
159 3.93 $30,000
161 3.84
164 3.80 $45,000

2013-2014

168 3.95 $75,000
163 3.76 $90,000
169 3.40 $90,000
164 3.75 $30,000
173 3.00


Wow thanks! But it looks like they only wanted reverse splitters for the 2015-16 cycle, so it is very scary for splitters like myself.


My understanding is this cycle has been weirder than other cycles so I wouldn't be too focused on the previous cycle in terms of what numbers Michigan was looking for.

Hopefully you guys will get some movement next week since our seat deposit is due on Sunday.

Good luck!

User avatar
chichi1992
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby chichi1992 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:21 pm

brinicolec wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
enoca wrote:
marrismarris wrote:Checking in. The school I deposited at gave me a very generous scholarship though, so I'm wondering, how do scholarship negotiations work off the waitlist? Should I expect to get any money off of the waitlist from Michigan at all? 3.35/169 stats with valid addendum


Here's what LSN shows for WL acceptances the past three cycles:

2015-2016

158 4.00
163 3.95 $75,000
160 3.80 $45,000

2014-2015

163 3.85 $45,000
161 3.87 $10,000
175 3.98 $150,000 (!!!!)
165 3.90 $45,000
171 3.42 $54,000
167 3.81 $105,000
164 3.77 $75,000
167 3.87 $90,000
163 3.90 $60,000
160 3.92 $45,000
159 3.93 $30,000
161 3.84
164 3.80 $45,000

2013-2014

168 3.95 $75,000
163 3.76 $90,000
169 3.40 $90,000
164 3.75 $30,000
173 3.00


Wow thanks! But it looks like they only wanted reverse splitters for the 2015-16 cycle, so it is very scary for splitters like myself.


My understanding is this cycle has been weirder than other cycles so I wouldn't be too focused on the previous cycle in terms of what numbers Michigan was looking for.

Hopefully you guys will get some movement next week since our seat deposit is due on Sunday.

Good luck!


Thank you!!

User avatar
chichi1992
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby chichi1992 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:26 pm

I have been drinking exclusively Michigan-produced beer for the past month. If I get in, I am quite positive this will be the reason.

Earlskies
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Michigan Law School c/o 2020 Waitlist - NEW POLL

Postby Earlskies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:31 pm

chichi1992 wrote:I have been drinking exclusively Michigan-produced beer for the past month. If I get in, I am quite positive this will be the reason.

Finally someone gets it.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NavyNuke, rachelac, virginia_direwoolf and 6 guests