Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
supersplittysplitter

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby supersplittysplitter » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:44 pm

If you're negotiating with a T20 (in the USC/Emory/WUSTL range ) using a lower offer from a T14, would it be best to not mention the amount of the T14 scholarship? And just say something like "I'm also considering a scholarship from Northwestern..."

Because I feel like if I go to a T20 with a significantly lower offer from a higher ranked school there just gonna be like well we're already you're most affordable option, so why would we give you even more money? Thoughts?

futurel@wyer

Postby futurel@wyer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Last edited by futurel@wyer on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingtip88

Postby Wingtip88 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:48 pm

UOI4430 wrote:
greggags2 wrote:For those who have negotiated scholarships before. What did you do to show the scholarship of the competing school? Did you forward the e-mail that had the scholarship amount to the school you were negotiating with? I have heard people attach it to an email but I do not have a hard copy so how would I do that?

All schools should offer a printable copy of your scholarship award. Check your student portal or email the adm. office saying you want a physical copy. Then scan and attach it as a pdf when you negotiate.

Couldn't you just take a screen shot of the email and export to PDF?

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:27 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:
UOI4430 wrote:
greggags2 wrote:For those who have negotiated scholarships before. What did you do to show the scholarship of the competing school? Did you forward the e-mail that had the scholarship amount to the school you were negotiating with? I have heard people attach it to an email but I do not have a hard copy so how would I do that?

All schools should offer a printable copy of your scholarship award. Check your student portal or email the adm. office saying you want a physical copy. Then scan and attach it as a pdf when you negotiate.

Couldn't you just take a screen shot of the email and export to PDF?

I'm sure that would be fine, and if it's not the school you're negotiating with will just ask for a letter format.

idontknow1

Postby idontknow1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:08 am

pcph wrote:
idontknow1 wrote:I am not sure if this has been answered, sorry if it has.

If I didn't apply to any peer schools can I try to negotiate with a school? I am trying to type out the email but I am not sure what to say exactly; any tips? Their offer is about 125k but I would want atleast 150k to attend.

Do you have any better scholarship offers from any higher ranked schools? that's the only thing I can think of if they aren't peers geographically or in the rankings.

I don't unfortunately.

Deadline to accept the scholarship is next month, going to wait a couple of days and hopefully I hear some news. Would it be offensive if I ask for more money without showing a better offer?

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:15 pm

How much is considered too much in terms of pushing a school to increase your offer? My negotiation request from one of my top choices (T20) near my hometown was rejected a couple of days ago, but I would definitely attend there with a bit of a bump since all the T14s I've been accepted are at sticker so far. They said they might be able to reconsider after the deposit deadline, and I'm willing to double deposit if I absolutely have to, but would it be rude to ask them again before that deadline? Maybe even more than once?

Drowninmyowntears

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:27 pm

hearsay77 wrote:How much is considered too much in terms of pushing a school to increase your offer? My negotiation request from one of my top choices (T20) near my hometown was rejected a couple of days ago, but I would definitely attend there with a bit of a bump since all the T14s I've been accepted are at sticker so far. They said they might be able to reconsider after the deposit deadline, and I'm willing to double deposit if I absolutely have to, but would it be rude to ask them again before that deadline? Maybe even more than once?

I'm wondering the same thing! Just out of curiosity, how much of an increase did you ask for? Like 2x, 3x? And did you put a hard amount in your first request or did you wait for them to ask?

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:How much is considered too much in terms of pushing a school to increase your offer? My negotiation request from one of my top choices (T20) near my hometown was rejected a couple of days ago, but I would definitely attend there with a bit of a bump since all the T14s I've been accepted are at sticker so far. They said they might be able to reconsider after the deposit deadline, and I'm willing to double deposit if I absolutely have to, but would it be rude to ask them again before that deadline? Maybe even more than once?

I'm wondering the same thing! Just out of curiosity, how much of an increase did you ask for? Like 2x, 3x? And did you put a hard amount in your first request or did you wait for them to ask?

I didn't ask for a specific amount, but sent them two competing offers that were $30k & $50k cheaper in overall COA. They have already given me a decent scholarship, but I want more :shock:

kray

Postby kray » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:00 pm

When sending out a solicitation e-mail to a school that has not yet sent an offer -- is it recommended to just ask about being considered for a scholarship, or try to sell myself condensed-personal-statement style all over again?

Edited because spelling is hard.

DK21

Postby DK21 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:34 pm

kray wrote:When sending out a solicitation e-mail to a school that has not yet sent an offer -- is it recommended to just ask about being considered for a scholarship, or try to sell myself condensed-personal-statement style all over again?

Edited because spelling is hard.

I think it's good to add in a little about why you love that school, but who knows if it helps.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:55 pm

If a school asks for offers from peer schools would it be wise to use a lower ranked school's larger scholarship to negotiate and to mention how these two schools place similarly in the job market where I have ties?

For example if I get $$$ from Northwestern but sticker at NYU would it be ok to say, "I know NU isn't a peer school, but it has similar placement rates into x market where I am targeting" as a means to justify sending them this offer?

I don't want to insult the school, but I also want them to understand my reasons for considering the two options similarly (besides the $$$)

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:26 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:47 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:If a school asks for offers from peer schools would it be wise to use a lower ranked school's larger scholarship to negotiate and to mention how these two schools place similarly in the job market where I have ties?

For example if I get $$$ from Northwestern but sticker at NYU would it be ok to say, "I know NU isn't a peer school, but it has similar placement rates into x market where I am targeting" as a means to justify sending them this offer?

I don't want to insult the school, but I also want them to understand my reasons for considering the two options similarly (besides the $$$)

You could also just say that it is a peer school, at least in the area most relevant to your interests and goals. Your specific needs matter because the whole point of giving you a scholarship is to get you to attend.

tcar29

Postby tcar29 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:51 am

I was successful in getting BU to bump me up from 20k/year to 25k/year. Is it rude to push for more? If not, is there a generally agreed upon way to word the follow up email? I ask b/c I've seen posts on here about students getting schools to bump their schollys multiple times during this process

trynalaw123

Postby trynalaw123 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:53 am

tcar29 wrote:I was successful in getting BU to bump me up from 20k/year to 25k/year. Is it rude to push for more? If not, is there a generally agreed upon way to word the follow up email? I ask b/c I've seen posts on here about students getting schools to bump their schollys multiple times during this process

I think that is only something you would try if you had a new/better offer to show them than what you used to bump it the first time. Otherwise I assume their answer wouldn't change.

tcar29

Postby tcar29 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:28 am

trynalaw123 wrote:
tcar29 wrote:I was successful in getting BU to bump me up from 20k/year to 25k/year. Is it rude to push for more? If not, is there a generally agreed upon way to word the follow up email? I ask b/c I've seen posts on here about students getting schools to bump their schollys multiple times during this process

I think that is only something you would try if you had a new/better offer to show them than what you used to bump it the first time. Otherwise I assume their answer wouldn't change.

Ah okay, that makes sense. They are the first of the schools I've tried to negotiate with to respond so looks like I'll have to wait to hear back from others

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:54 pm

When negotiating merit based aid with a school that has also offered you need $ is it ok to ignore that money. My thinking is need money has nothing to do with my merits as a student, and it is not guaranteed to renew. Should I address the non renewal concern or do I just ignore the topic all together in my email?

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:02 pm

mec896 wrote:When negotiating merit based aid with a school that has also offered you need $ is it ok to ignore that money. My thinking is need money has nothing to do with my merits as a student, and it is not guaranteed to renew. Should I address the non renewal concern or do I just ignore the topic all together in my email?

I would factor it into the total COA. It's not necessarily about how much you're getting, but how much you end up having to pay to attend either school.

ano957

Postby ano957 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Last edited by ano957 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesMcGillEsquire

Postby JamesMcGillEsquire » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:24 pm

this question has popped up in a few threads but I'm curious to hear what you all think:

can you negotiate after submitting an intent to enroll/ accept a scholarship? or would that be bad form? also would you even have any leverage at that point (since you've already accepted their offer)?

hirsch40p

Postby hirsch40p » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:19 pm

Do you suggest listing the amounts in the initial negotiation email, or rather just say I have other fired and wait till they request the specific amount/PDF copies. Thanks!

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:56 pm

hirsch40p wrote:Do you suggest listing the amounts in the initial negotiation email, or rather just say I have other fired and wait till they request the specific amount/PDF copies. Thanks!

I have the same question! I've been listing my amounts, but it hasn't really been working because none of my schools have matched my other offers, even when I've presented much higher offers from higher ranked schools. Should I be playing my cards closer to the vest?

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:02 am

JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:this question has popped up in a few threads but I'm curious to hear what you all think:

can you negotiate after submitting an intent to enroll/ accept a scholarship? or would that be bad form? also would you even have any leverage at that point (since you've already accepted their offer)?

Yes! Here are some ways it was successful in past years according to tls.
1. You double deposit and continue to negotiate.
2. You fail to deposit or withdraw by deadline
3. You get off the wait list somewhere else (usually in higher ranked).
4. You get a job offer and consider deffering

**** Note that this is all about making admissions think you will walk away from your offer. That's the upper hand in negotiations, being the one willing to just leave the table all together. This is a double edged sword though because your numbers and how much they play into their lsat gpa medians for the rankings are what makes the school find you more valuable and worth haggling over. These techniques work best when you have all the power aka higher numbers. It can work if you do not have strong numbers, but to a much lesser extent. At the end of the day UNLESS YOU LIE ABOUT OTHER SCHOLARSHIPS, the school at worst will say they cannot offer more money.
Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:10 am

supersplittysplitter wrote:
hirsch40p wrote:Do you suggest listing the amounts in the initial negotiation email, or rather just say I have other fired and wait till they request the specific amount/PDF copies. Thanks!

I have the same question! I've been listing my amounts, but it hasn't really been working because none of my schools have matched my other offers, even when I've presented much higher offers from higher ranked schools. Should I be playing my cards closer to the vest?

From TLSers before us and interviews with deans...

You should not bombard them with 10 offers at once. Pick your strongest 2 or 3 tops if you're a person who just blanketed a ton of schools. You are starting the process, if you hit them with everything at once, you're also forfeiting most of your leverage. Your top choice may come back with a higher number, but not high enough. If you played all your cards that's the end of the line for you, but if you kept more in your back pocket, you can take another run at getting a bump. Success is also about how much the school wants you and how kind you are in your request. Never call it negotiating, call it a request to reevaluate your aid package.

aibohphobia

Postby aibohphobia » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:11 pm

So I just made my first attempt to start the process, and I'm not quite sure how to interpret the response. Cornell gave me a scholarship lower than one of mvp and I was trying to initiate (just intitiate, since I didn't know if the person I was talking to was the correct person for the topic) the conversation about whether they would increase their offer. I sent something to the extent of "im excited about the offer, law school is expensive, who can I talk to about my merit aid package and my unique situation". Basically I wanted to know who to talk to about negotiation. I got back a response basically saying we can't break down which portion of the offer is need and which is merit based.

Honestly, at this point cost and placement are all I"m really worried about and cornell placement is great so if they lowered their cost it would jump to my number one. Was I just way too subtle in my request or was that a tacit denial for a negotiation?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”