Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
riverwater

Bronze

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by riverwater » Sun May 11, 2014 1:14 am

Yawkey wrote:I recently received an increase and was told it was a final offer. I'll be attending regardless of any further bump, but I was curious if its possible to finagle a little more even after they've said the offer was final and I paid the deposits: "I'm coming here regardless, buttttt blah blah blah"

Worth a shot or waste of time?
I would never write "I'm coming here regardless" in an email like that. Anyway, I think it's unnecessary. At the very least you should wait until you get off a WL to try one more time. No reason to burn an email with nothing, absolutely nothing, that gives you leverage.

Telecaster

New

Post by Telecaster » Sun May 11, 2014 2:31 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZRLxnXamM

I have found this video extremely helpful as a general template to use for negotiating more money from law schools. Just make sure you approach schools in a similar way and you should be good.

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Wed May 21, 2014 9:12 pm

Telecaster wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZRLxnXamM

I have found this video extremely helpful as a general template to use for negotiating more money from law schools. Just make sure you approach schools in a similar way and you should be good.
I've clicked on this twice now, not remembering what it was. Touché.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Fri May 23, 2014 11:27 am

Question:

How many times can you ask for more money without looking like a total dick?

For example,
I asked for more $$ from a school back in like Feb/March. I know, it was early.
They said NO.

I asked for more money 2 days ago. They said they are over budget and unable to increase at this time but if I wanted to send them other offers I had, I could. So I did.

Today they increased my scholly from $27K ---> $30K per year

Can I ask again later? I am waiting to hear how much I will be getting at another school (much higher ranked school).

I don't want to seem ungrateful or annoying.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Fri May 23, 2014 11:35 am

leigh912198972 wrote:Question:

For example,
They said NO.

I asked for more money 2 days ago. They said they are over budget and unable to increase at this time but if I wanted to send them other offers I had, I could. So I did.

Can I ask again later? I am waiting to hear how much I will be getting at another school (much higher ranked school).

If you end up with an appealing offer from another, higher-ranked school, then you should definitely bring it to this school.

You have absolutely nothing to lose (perhaps a small amount of dignity) and everything to gain.
Don't forget that they're the ones over-charging you. You're entitled to do your best to get the price down to something reasonable.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Carrotjuice

New

Post by Carrotjuice » Fri May 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi everybody, here is the situation I am currently in:

I paid my seat deposit to BC, which had offered me $18k/yr. I had not tried negotiating yet because my stats aren't great (3.4/163, both below medians with gpa ~25th) and I was happy to have received anything. I also had no bargaining chips, as my next best offer was $30k at Cardozo. However, I just got into BU off their waitlist, along with a lower, but comparable offer at $15k/yr. Should I try to use this to negotiate, or is it a bad idea to try and do so with a lower offer? Also, my interests are in patent law, which seems to be a bigger focus at BU. Should I try and squeeze this into my negotiation email somehow?

Thanks!

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Carrotjuice wrote:Hi everybody, here is the situation I am currently in:

I paid my seat deposit to BC, which had offered me $18k/yr. I had not tried negotiating yet because my stats aren't great (3.4/163, both below medians with gpa ~25th) and I was happy to have received anything. I also had no bargaining chips, as my next best offer was $30k at Cardozo. However, I just got into BU off their waitlist, along with a lower, but comparable offer at $15k/yr. Should I try to use this to negotiate, or is it a bad idea to try and do so with a lower offer? Also, my interests are in patent law, which seems to be a bigger focus at BU. Should I try and squeeze this into my negotiation email somehow?

Thanks!
Try negotiating with BU to up your scholarship there, then bring the new offer to BC and ask for an increase. Continue playing one off the other until they say no. Then choose between what will hopefully end up being 2 good offers

msx3

New

Post by msx3 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Carrotjuice wrote:Hi everybody, here is the situation I am currently in:

Thanks!
My GPA is much worse than yours and I received money after negotiating requests to similarly ranked schools. I would definitely shoot over an email and follow the above advice, they aren't going to take your scholarship away and likely expect negotiation emails.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Fri May 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

singftw

New

Post by singftw » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:33 am

Has anyone ever successfully negotiated a scholarship increase after paying the first seat deposit and then not paying the second deposit?

msx3

New

Post by msx3 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:53 am

singftw wrote:Has anyone ever successfully negotiated a scholarship increase after paying the first seat deposit and then not paying the second deposit?
Yes, but not every time. One school significantly raised my scholarship, the other was only receptive before I deposited and not afterwards.

Depends on the school would be my answer.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:01 pm

singftw wrote:Has anyone ever successfully negotiated a scholarship increase after paying the first seat deposit and then not paying the second deposit?
This is a credited strategy. Current school doubled mine after the first seat deposit, and it's a school that TLS wisdom suggests does not negotiate.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:03 pm

John Everyman wrote:
This is a credited strategy. Current school doubled mine after the first seat deposit, and it's a school that TLS wisdom suggests does not negotiate.
This may be an incredibly stupid question but...
You can just not pay second deposit? You won't lose your spot? And you could maybe even use that to negotiate?

I assumed not paying a deposit would mean the school would think, "oh okay he/she isn't coming here. Let's throw away his/her file and open a spot in our class for someone else."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crimson34

New

Post by crimson34 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:42 am

Has anyone tried negotiating an increase after the second deposit. I received a very attractive new contract at work that makes the economic impact of attending law school greater than when I applied. I still want to go to school but was wondering can you use a job offer as a negotiation point?

mucker

New

Post by mucker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:53 pm

leigh912198972 wrote: You can just not pay second deposit? You won't lose your spot? And you could maybe even use that to negotiate?

I assumed not paying a deposit would mean the school would think, "oh okay he/she isn't coming here. Let's throw away his/her file and open a spot in our class for someone else."
Wondering about this too. How much risk do you run of losing your seat if you don't pay the deposit? And if that happens, how receptive will admissions be if you go asking for your seat and scholarship money back?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:00 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:Question:

For example,
They said NO.

This is baller.

Keep doing it.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Can we use LST for negotiating or will you sound like a dick?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:35 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Can we use LST for negotiating or will you sound like a dick?
Isn't all of the data on LST reported by the school?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:45 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Can we use LST for negotiating or will you sound like a dick?
Yeah, true. I guess I have to find a way to state things pleasantly and not like, "The other school is so much better cuz of ______. Now gimme more."

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:49 pm

^^ just send the school a gif of Britney's "Gimme More." If that's not succinct and clear, idk what is.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:50 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:^^ just send the school a gif of Britney's "Gimme More." If that's not succinct and clear, idk what is.
:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:53 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Yeah, true. I guess I have to find a way to state things pleasantly and not like, "The other school is so much better cuz of ______. Now gimme more."
I think it's fine to talk about openly.

You've given me more than School B, but I'm interested in working at a big firm and according to the available data, School B gives me a better shot blah blah blah.

havermayer

New

Post by havermayer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:15 pm

mucker wrote:
leigh912198972 wrote: You can just not pay second deposit? You won't lose your spot? And you could maybe even use that to negotiate?

Wondering about this too. How much risk do you run of losing your seat if you don't pay the deposit? And if that happens, how receptive will admissions be if you go asking for your seat and scholarship money back?

Depends on the ranking of the school. I've had lower ranked schools offer me money and I've successfully negotiated 15k grant total to 45k no stip scholly at a school ranked 50-60 and this was after I failed to deposit and withdrew my application. Then used that offer to negotiate at a higher ranked school and got more money from them after the first deposit. It's risky because you don't know if they'll contact you after not depositing, but my experience from some schools is that they'll send you a follow up email a couple days after the deposit deadline to see if you're still interested.

Hahalollawl

Bronze

Post by Hahalollawl » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Cornell basically seemed to brush me off because I didn't have any competing offers when I asked them to reconsider my file...got in to Duke off the waitlist recently so hopefully I can go back and get better results. Not sure what to say if they don't consider Duke to be "competitive".

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:57 pm

Hahalollawl wrote:Cornell basically seemed to brush me off because I didn't have any competing offers when I asked them to reconsider my file...got in to Duke off the waitlist recently so hopefully I can go back and get better results. Not sure what to say if they don't consider Duke to be "competitive".
Isn't COA at Duke cheaper? That should be what you focus on, they'll consider Duke competitive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”