Fordham Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kotleta

New

Re: Fordham Law c/o 2020

Post by kotleta » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Just got an email about Admitted Students Day (before hearing any decision) and checked my status checker and it said admitted. Last date change was 3/3

largemarge26

New

Post by largemarge26 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Am I understanding this correctly- Graduate housing is about 10 grand a semester, 2 semesters in a year, so their graduate housing is over 20 grand a year (and you can't even live there in the summer)? Anyone else think this is ridiculous? Advanced apologies if this is some sort of steal- West Coaster over here.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:38 pm

largemarge26 wrote:Am I understanding this correctly- Graduate housing is about 10 grand a semester, 2 semesters in a year, so their graduate housing is over 20 grand a year (and you can't even live there in the summer)? Anyone else think this is ridiculous? Advanced apologies if this is some sort of steal- West Coaster over here.
This is not a steal. I live in Brooklyn currently and my rent comes out to ~11k a year. And I get to live there in the summer.

largemarge26

New

Post by largemarge26 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
largemarge26 wrote:Am I understanding this correctly- Graduate housing is about 10 grand a semester, 2 semesters in a year, so their graduate housing is over 20 grand a year (and you can't even live there in the summer)? Anyone else think this is ridiculous? Advanced apologies if this is some sort of steal- West Coaster over here.
This is not a steal. I live in Brooklyn currently and my rent comes out to ~11k a year. And I get to live there in the summer.

Okay phew! I pay the same in Seattle (for a tiny room in a townhouse) so that's a lot less intimidating. Thank you!! Even with planning my trip to visit the school I am completely lost :roll:

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm

largemarge26 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:

Okay phew! I pay the same in Seattle (for a tiny room in a townhouse) so that's a lot less intimidating. Thank you!! Even with planning my trip to visit the school I am completely lost :roll:
I wanna say that the real estate is similar in Seattle and NYC - but think of the main square in Seattle. I live in a 3BD, so you can expect to play with a range depending on what your budget is. The rent obviously increases substantially if you live in the city (1500+ per room).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:53 pm

No you are sane. Manhattan is insane. The people who live in manhattan are also insane. We know we are paying over priced rent.

Go to the outer boroughs

Dijohn17

New

Post by Dijohn17 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm

I plan on applying, however I am re-taking the LSAT in June as I am not satisfied with my score. If I apply now and tell them to hold on a decision until my June LSAT scores come in, will they do so?

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:54 pm

Dijohn17 wrote:I plan on applying, however I am re-taking the LSAT in June as I am not satisfied with my score. If I apply now and tell them to hold on a decision until my June LSAT scores come in, will they do so?
just apply next cycle, its so late in the game, if u do get in now, you won't be offered nearly as much money as you would be at the start of another cycle

SybillAnnDorsett

Gold

Post by SybillAnnDorsett » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 am

Withdrew acceptance yesterday - happy to free a seat/money for my TLS comrades. Good luck, y'all

SYBILL OUT

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fazzvm56

Bronze

Post by fazzvm56 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:26 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
No you are sane. Manhattan is insane. The people who live in manhattan are also insane. We know we are paying over priced rent.

Go to the outer boroughs
I'm from New York so I'm used to the prices. Near the school and within Manhattan you'll be paying at minimum $1,500 a month per room (even more if you're in a single bedroom/studio). If you're willing to move to Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, etc., you can definitely find cheaper. Some people would prefer to spend less and move further, others (like myself) would prefer to give away all their money to live on the Upper West Side. I've looked a little bit on the UWS and expect to spend anywhere from $1,500 - $2,500 a month to live there. So considering that, their housing price is pretty normal for location.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 pm

fazzvm56 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Go to the outer boroughs
I'm from New York so I'm used to the prices. Near the school and within Manhattan you'll be paying at minimum $1,500 a month per room (even more if you're in a single bedroom/studio). If you're willing to move to Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, etc., you can definitely find cheaper. Some people would prefer to spend less and move further, others (like myself) would prefer to give away all their money to live on the Upper West Side. I've looked a little bit on the UWS and expect to spend anywhere from $1,500 - $2,500 a month to live there. So considering that, their housing price is pretty normal for location.

lol the only thing keeping me a crosstown bus away from the school is i dnt pay rent.

nothing that nyc charges is normal or reasonable. everything is over priced. you are paying a huge amount of money for nothing and it is a total waste. i wouldnt recommend anyone who is taking out loans to do it or spending their last dime to move near the school. you will get enough of the school and its immediate enviornment, because you'll be there almost everyday.

I have an extreme dislike forcthe housing market here in nyc. If it were something tangible, I'd stab it. At my current job, people travel hours because a good price of a home for their families and what their job pays them forces them to move to remote places. I know people who live in manhattan not too far from me, in chelsea and hells kitchen, that pay $3k for a piece of shit. I have a relative paying $1500 for a room that was created by putting up a makeshift wall and cutting the living room in half.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Accepted via email today! Went complete 3/1 and had a date change on 3/8

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Last date change 3/3. FINALLY THERE IS A GOD.

I guess let's see how the $$ looks before I get too excited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

em15

Bronze

Post by em15 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:31 pm

In via status checker!! Finally!!

CatherineZetaScarn1

New

Post by CatherineZetaScarn1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Accepted via email today! Went complete 3/1 and had a date change on 3/8
Could you PM me your stats?

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Anyone have any insight into what the atmosphere at Fordham is like? Is it competitive or collegial?

arsenewenger

New

Post by arsenewenger » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:29 pm

In via e-mail just now! Looking forward to receiving access information for the Admitted Student website in the next 24 hours!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Shakawkaw

Gold

Post by Shakawkaw » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Anyone have any insight into what the atmosphere at Fordham is like? Is it competitive or collegial?
Mixed bag. I've met some idiots with Fordham JDs and some brilliant minds, and every aspie in between.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:Anyone have any insight into what the atmosphere at Fordham is like? Is it competitive or collegial?
Mixed bag. I've met some idiots with Fordham JDs and some brilliant minds, and every aspie in between.
I was talking about the current atmosphere (i.e. are students there ultra competitive with each other or is it a more friendly and supportive atmosphere). I've met more than my fair share of Fordham JDs in my lifetime, trust me.

shawn87654321

New

Post by shawn87654321 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Anyone else accepted last week receive merit scholarship info? Accepted last week 3/15 (>75% LSAT, just under 75% GPA) and haven't seen anything yet. :(

I know per other posters it's often the same day as admit but maybe spring break/snow day last week is causing delay.

VinnyGambini Jr.

New

Post by VinnyGambini Jr. » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm

shawn87654321 wrote:Anyone else accepted last week receive merit scholarship info? Accepted last week 3/15 (>75% LSAT, just under 75% GPA) and haven't seen anything yet. :(

I know per other posters it's often the same day as admit but maybe spring break/snow day last week is causing delay.
I was accepted last Thursday with similar stats and have not received any scholarship info either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:43 pm

shawn87654321 wrote:Anyone else accepted last week receive merit scholarship info? Accepted last week 3/15 (>75% LSAT, just under 75% GPA) and haven't seen anything yet. :(

lol it took me almost a month, so have no fear. You probably wont have to wait as long, but do know that its coming.

lillawyer2

Silver

Post by lillawyer2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:
I was talking about the current atmosphere (i.e. are students there ultra competitive with each other or is it a more friendly and supportive atmosphere). I've met more than my fair share of Fordham JDs in my lifetime, trust me.

When I went to ASD every admitted student there seemed to emphasize that it was chill. Students were supportive of each other. Naturally you are going to have competitive people, nice people, mean people and crazy people. However, I think the culture is geared towarda working together toward a common goal and everyone tries to support each other in some fashion. It also seemed like the alumni connect was strong, very strong.

Legallylawyer2020

Bronze

Post by Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:

When I went to ASD every admitted student there seemed to emphasize that it was chill. Students were supportive of each other. Naturally you are going to have competitive people, nice people, mean people and crazy people. However, I think the culture is geared towarda working together toward a common goal and everyone tries to support each other in some fashion. It also seemed like the alumni connect was strong, very strong.
Thanks!! I'm definitely interested in the current Students, as I know a number of alumni well. I will reaffirm that the alumni connection is very strong. I know a number of federal judges that are Fordham alums that hire Fordham students almost exclusively.

Nero21

New

Post by Nero21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:07 pm

Hey, I was just accepted tonight! Does anybody have an estimate of when financial aid and scholarship decisions will be coming out or should arrive at my doorstep (inbox)? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”