Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

if waitlisted, are you going to stay on it?

yes, until the very end
36
45%
yes, but only until July (or something like that)
15
19%
no
18
23%
idk???
11
14%
 
Total votes: 80

User avatar
pretzeltime
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:35 am

Welcome to this thread. You're not getting a fancy banner unless you make one yourself! <3

Application Process

Application Opens: Who the heck knows
Last Day to Submit: Who the heck knows
Application Fee: $60

Checklist:
  • CAS (transcript)
  • LSAT
  • Personal statement + Yale 250
  • Two letters of recommendation
  • Application form
  • Application fee (need-based waivers only)
Acceptance Tweets for c/o 2020
12/21/16
2/2/17 emailing decisions is.......a thing now

Acceptance Tweets for c/o 2019
12/12/15
12/18/15
12/22/15
1/31/16
2/4/16
2/14/16 (Happy Valentine's Day!)
2/20/16
2/27/16
2/28/16
3/5/16
3/19/16
3/26/16
4/1/16
4/2/16
4/6/16
4/8/16

Useful Links
YLS Admissions FAQ
YLS Twitter
Ask Asha Blog
Asha on the PS
Asha on the Application Process
Asha on Why Yale

TLS Threads

Class of 2019 Applicants
Class of 2018 Applicants
Class of 2017 Applicants
Class of 2016 Applicants
Operation: Enduring Yale 250s

Admissions Decisions for the 2014-2015 Cycle
Image

Class of 2018 Profile
GPA: 3.86/3.93/3.98
LSAT: 171/173/176

2809 applicants
269 new offers
45% women, 55% men
37% minorities
22% KJD

Class of 2017 Profile
GPA: 3.82/3.91/3.97
LSAT: 170/173/176

2015-6 Prompts:

College Activities
[+] Spoiler
Please answer a, b, and c separately from any included résumé. Your application will not be considered complete unless a, b, and c are answered. Please list:

(a) Significant extracurricular activities and unpaid externships or internships in college, in order of their relative importance to you. Please estimate your time commitment for each activity.

(b) Paid employment while in college and during vacations.

(c) Other activities during college (in or out of school) that you consider relevant.


Post-college Activities (Optional)
[+] Spoiler
If it has been more than three months since you attended college, describe what you have been doing in the interval. You should include graduate or professional education, paid or unpaid employment, as well as any other activities that you consider relevant. Please answer this question separately from any information provided in a résumé.


Essay (aka Yale 250)
[+] Spoiler
Write an essay of not more than 250 words about a subject of your choice. The Admissions Committee looks to the 250-word essay to evaluate an applicant's writing, reasoning, and editing skills. The subject is not limited; the choice of topic itself may be informative to the readers.


Personal Statement
[+] Spoiler
Please submit a personal statement that will enable the Admissions Committee to make a fully informed judgment on your application. Many applicants include the personal statement they have prepared for other law school applications.


Character and Fitness (Optional)
[+] Spoiler
If your answer to either of the Character and Fitness questions (9.1 or 9.2) is yes, include an attachment describing the circumstances.

Please note that the information included in your Character and Fitness attachment as well as answers to the Character and Fitness questions may become part of the character and fitness review of the bar in the state(s) in which you intend to practice. Admission to the practice of law depends not only on adequate academic performance in law school and successful completion of the bar examination, but also on satisfaction of the requirements of the particular jurisdiction as to proof of good character. These requirements differ from state to state, and applicants should inform themselves of the requirements of the jurisdictions in which they are interested.


Résumé (Optional)
[+] Spoiler
A résumé is not required, but you may include one if you wish. Unless you have a significant number of publications, the Admissions Committee prefers résumés to be no longer than one page. Please answer the College and Post-college Activities questions separately from any included résumé.


Addendum (Optional)
[+] Spoiler
You may use this attachment slot to provide any additional information necessary for a full representation of your candidacy.


Shouts to the many forefathers and foremothers of this thread, whom I have copied.

Be a pal and enter your stats/progress/decision! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Last edited by pretzeltime on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 am, edited 25 times in total.

User avatar
RictusErectus
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby RictusErectus » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:38 am

CHECKING DA EFF IN

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 6727
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:42 am

Won't be applying, but good luck to whoever is! (most importantly the homies *cough*)

User avatar
R. Jeeves
Posts: 1963
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:52 am

RictusErectus wrote:CHECKING DA EFF IN

User avatar
Mikey
Posts: 6727
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:55 am

R. Jeeves wrote:

who gave you permission to change your avi. i will forever see you as having that hat on.

where's that PW with the hat

User avatar
Baby Gaga
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Baby Gaga » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:57 am

Checking in! I'm trying to get in here AND planning to break up Hiddleswift #dreambig

LikelyThrowaway
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:19 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby LikelyThrowaway » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:12 am

Lol, they rejected someone at 4.0/180. Not even waitlisted. I guess I just need to try really, really hard not to expect anything...

...

Fuck it, I want in!

User avatar
forum_user
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby forum_user » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:28 am

LikelyThrowaway wrote:Lol, they rejected someone at 4.0/180. Not even waitlisted. I guess I just need to try really, really hard not to expect anything...

...

Fuck it, I want in!

You have to consider what an applicant with a 4.0/180 is going to look like though. Obviously the vast majority of Yale applicants are going to have stellar numbers. Between a 4.0/180 and a 3.9/177 there's little marginal difference, at which point LsOR, resumes, and statements will become the biggest determining factor. So if the 4.0/180 had a good PS and decent LsOR and 3.9/177 had a great PS and stellar LsOR, my money would be on the latter.

At any rate I bet someone with perfect numbers would tend to be on the more arrogant side of things, expecting to glide through on their untarnished record. I imagine that seldom comes off well for adcomms.

That being said, checking in--here goes nothing!

xnsch
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby xnsch » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:13 pm

Checking in as well... Here's to hoping for a miracle haha

User avatar
Pozzo
Posts: 1697
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pozzo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Checking in, cuz why not?

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby PrezRand » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Image

User avatar
Kopetz
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kopetz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:13 pm

forum_user wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:Lol, they rejected someone at 4.0/180. Not even waitlisted. I guess I just need to try really, really hard not to expect anything...

...

Fuck it, I want in!

You have to consider what an applicant with a 4.0/180 is going to look like though. Obviously the vast majority of Yale applicants are going to have stellar numbers. Between a 4.0/180 and a 3.9/177 there's little marginal difference, at which point LsOR, resumes, and statements will become the biggest determining factor. So if the 4.0/180 had a good PS and decent LsOR and 3.9/177 had a great PS and stellar LsOR, my money would be on the latter.

At any rate I bet someone with perfect numbers would tend to be on the more arrogant side of things, expecting to glide through on their untarnished record. I imagine that seldom comes off well for adcomms.

That being said, checking in--here goes nothing!


Being on the Yale adcomm would be pretty interesting. Given their class sizes and the fact that they get an application from every applicant with good numbers, they're in a good position to give more consideration to soft factors within a given numerical group.

Also, checking in. I bet the rejections are on really nice stationery.

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4398
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:53 pm

PrezRand wrote:Image

User avatar
pretzeltime
Posts: 1993
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby pretzeltime » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:08 pm

proteinshake wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Image


Exaaaaaactly how I feel, but I took one for the team and OP'ed. YOU'RE WELCOME!

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4398
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby proteinshake » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:10 pm

pretzeltime wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Image


Exaaaaaactly how I feel, but I took one for the team and OP'ed. YOU'RE WELCOME!

Image

Schneidersbetter
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Schneidersbetter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Hey all. I checked in on the c/o 2020 thread but thought I'd follow up here. I got into Yale last cycle and deferred, so I'm hoping a bunch of you (or all of you) will be my classmates next year. I honestly still can't believe I got in, so I'm trying to keep the good karma going by being as helpful as I can. So if u got app questions lemme know, and I'm also happy to share some of my materials, tho I think I'd prefer to pm them rather than post here.

Aight, that's my longest post ever, good luck everyone!

User avatar
KissMyAxe
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KissMyAxe » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:24 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PrezRand
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby PrezRand » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:33 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
forum_user wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:Lol, they rejected someone at 4.0/180. Not even waitlisted. I guess I just need to try really, really hard not to expect anything...

...

Fuck it, I want in!

You have to consider what an applicant with a 4.0/180 is going to look like though. Obviously the vast majority of Yale applicants are going to have stellar numbers. Between a 4.0/180 and a 3.9/177 there's little marginal difference, at which point LsOR, resumes, and statements will become the biggest determining factor. So if the 4.0/180 had a good PS and decent LsOR and 3.9/177 had a great PS and stellar LsOR, my money would be on the latter.

At any rate I bet someone with perfect numbers would tend to be on the more arrogant side of things, expecting to glide through on their untarnished record. I imagine that seldom comes off well for adcomms.

That being said, checking in--here goes nothing!


The bolded is pretty much all inaccurate, or at least an extreme oversimplification of things.

First, the adcomms have very little control of who gets admitted after the initial cut down of applications (from 2800 to 1000 or so), which I would be shocked if both of the above applicants didn't coast through. After that, it entirely depends on the professors assigned to the application. Quite a few professors are very involved in their research, and so will just look at GPA/LSAT/undergrad and yay or nay it. Others take a very scrutinizing view of the application. I've been told by a prof that they nixed an application whose LSAT essay they didn't like. So while you should always work to craft the best application possible with the mantra "Do no harm," there is a certain amount of luck that goes into admissions, and so it's always worth throwing the Yale Mary, since all it takes is the profs deciding they want to share the halls of Sterling with you.

BTW, I also think it's pretty stereotypical to assume that someone with perfect numbers would somehow be more arrogant than someone with a 3.9/177, though considering my own numbers, I do appreciate that idea. lol. Also, fyi, I highly doubt there's any student who comes in here expecting to glide through this school. They're all smart and do their research, and most know of TLS even if they don't post. They realize YLS is the holy grail of law schools and everyone who goes there is going to be the absolute best. If anything, I'd say the vast majority students have concerns of being under-qualified at first.

That said, I am happy to answer any questions I can, or at least find out the answers if I don't know them myself. My small group did get slammed with pretty much the toughest schedule you can have, but I'll try to answer as many questions as possible over the next few days. And if they're more sensitive, I'm just a PM away.

I've always thought the admissions process was slightly less sporadic than undergrad admissions.

User avatar
forum_user
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:40 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby forum_user » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:45 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
forum_user wrote:
LikelyThrowaway wrote:Lol, they rejected someone at 4.0/180. Not even waitlisted. I guess I just need to try really, really hard not to expect anything...

...

Fuck it, I want in!

[+] Spoiler
You have to consider what an applicant with a 4.0/180 is going to look like though. Obviously the vast majority of Yale applicants are going to have stellar numbers. Between a 4.0/180 and a 3.9/177 there's little marginal difference, at which point LsOR, resumes, and statements will become the biggest determining factor. So if the 4.0/180 had a good PS and decent LsOR and 3.9/177 had a great PS and stellar LsOR, my money would be on the latter.

At any rate I bet someone with perfect numbers would tend to be on the more arrogant side of things, expecting to glide through on their untarnished record. I imagine that seldom comes off well for adcomms.

That being said, checking in--here goes nothing!


[+] Spoiler
The bolded is pretty much all inaccurate, or at least an extreme oversimplification of things.

First, the adcomms have very little control of who gets admitted after the initial cut down of applications (from 2800 to 1000 or so), which I would be shocked if both of the above applicants didn't coast through. After that, it entirely depends on the professors assigned to the application. Quite a few professors are very involved in their research, and so will just look at GPA/LSAT/undergrad and yay or nay it. Others take a very scrutinizing view of the application. I've been told by a prof that they nixed an application whose LSAT essay they didn't like. So while you should always work to craft the best application possible with the mantra "Do no harm," there is a certain amount of luck that goes into admissions, and so it's always worth throwing the Yale Mary, since all it takes is the profs deciding they want to share the halls of Sterling with you.

BTW, I also think it's pretty stereotypical to assume that someone with perfect numbers would somehow be more arrogant than someone with a 3.9/177, though considering my own numbers, I do appreciate that idea. lol. Also, fyi, I highly doubt there's any student who comes in here expecting to glide through this school. They're all smart and do their research, and most know of TLS even if they don't post. They realize YLS is the holy grail of law schools and everyone who goes there is going to be the absolute best. If anything, I'd say the vast majority students have concerns of being under-qualified at first.

That said, I am happy to answer any questions I can, or at least find out the answers if I don't know them myself. My small group did get slammed with pretty much the toughest schedule you can have, but I'll try to answer as many questions as possible over the next few days. And if they're more sensitive, I'm just a PM away.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. I am but an egg. I wasn't trying to give any general rules ofc, just an idea of why a 4.0/180 might get dinged, so arrogance or other soft factors would obviously have to play a role as I imagine those numbers wouldn't hurt that applicant. I guess I just assume that arrogance increases the better your numbers get -- though my numbers are far from perfect and my arrogance level is still waaaayyy up there, so I guess numbers are neither necessary nor sufficient.

Also fml @ italicized :cry:

User avatar
BradyBunch
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BradyBunch » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Checking in! Plan on sending in my app a few days before Halloween!!! wish me luck!!!

User avatar
BradyBunch
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BradyBunch » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:18 pm

Schneidersbetter wrote:Hey all. I checked in on the c/o 2020 thread but thought I'd follow up here. I got into Yale last cycle and deferred, so I'm hoping a bunch of you (or all of you) will be my classmates next year. I honestly still can't believe I got in, so I'm trying to keep the good karma going by being as helpful as I can. So if u got app questions lemme know, and I'm also happy to share some of my materials, tho I think I'd prefer to pm them rather than post here.

Aight, that's my longest post ever, good luck everyone!


Hey!! Congrats on getting into Yale, hopefully I can get in this cycle! I was wondering if you could PM me your Yale 250. I am in desperate need of an example.

Thanks again!

Schneidersbetter
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Schneidersbetter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:39 pm

BradyBunch wrote:
Schneidersbetter wrote:Hey all. I checked in on the c/o 2020 thread but thought I'd follow up here. I got into Yale last cycle and deferred, so I'm hoping a bunch of you (or all of you) will be my classmates next year. I honestly still can't believe I got in, so I'm trying to keep the good karma going by being as helpful as I can. So if u got app questions lemme know, and I'm also happy to share some of my materials, tho I think I'd prefer to pm them rather than post here.

Aight, that's my longest post ever, good luck everyone!


Hey!! Congrats on getting into Yale, hopefully I can get in this cycle! I was wondering if you could PM me your Yale 250. I am in desperate need of an example.

Thanks again!


Yea would be my pleasure

User avatar
KissMyAxe
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby KissMyAxe » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Post Deleted
Last edited by KissMyAxe on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
R. Jeeves
Posts: 1963
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby R. Jeeves » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:59 pm

TheMikey wrote:where's that PW with the hat

I'll do it if I get into Yail

youngwarrior
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby youngwarrior » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:31 pm

checking innnn. Wasn't initially going to submit an app to Yale but I figured why not.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests