Wake Forest C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Roundhill

New

Post by Roundhill » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Last edited by Roundhill on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cricketlove00

Silver

Re: Wake Forest C/O 2019 Applicants (2015-2016)

Post by cricketlove00 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:46 am

Lawonomics wrote:
Shirosham wrote:
Lawonomics wrote:
leetrevinofistpump wrote:
DorcasPond wrote:
Lawonomics wrote:I was very impressed with wake after their admitted students day..
Same! I came into it largely intending to use their offer as leverage with other schools, but came out with them at the top of my list and a deposit put down.
What swayed you?
What swayed me was definitely class size and the atmosphere at the school. It was a lot friendlier than a lot of schools that I visited, which seemed to have a cut-throat atmosphere from their admitted students days. I could really see myself there, and the mock class was great as well (no Socratic method, though).
You had Professor Marsh right? She runs panels right now, so she'll ask specific students in a typical class.

It varies per professor, but you'll definitely have a few for Socratic.

It was Wendy something, I don't remember her name. She said she will definitely do Socratic but she did not do them in the Mock Class.
Wendy Parker. All professors your 1L year will do Socratic. Professor Parker is legit the best, btw.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:47 am

Roundhill wrote:
HangingAround wrote:
HangingAround wrote:
carolinalawyer007 wrote:
EasttoWest94 wrote:
lawhopesdreams wrote:Hey guys,

I'm really trying to decide between UNC and Wake it is a hard choice, anyone deciding between the two?
I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning towards Wake. Although money is a factor, I've become more sure of my decision after learning about their facilities, sections sizes, and how much they care about admitted students. Wake has made every effort to make me feel welcome and wanted. UNC, not so much.... although I do like UNC's mascot and colors more haha
Same here. Equal cost to both although COL in Winston makes it slightly cheaper. UNC was my number 1 initially but Wake has kind of won me over. I graduated from Carolina undergrad a few years ago and while I loved it, after visiting both Wake just feels like more of a family and less of a factory, like they want you to succeed more. But I still love Carolina and have been flip flopping like crazy before the deposit deadline next Friday.

And as a former Tarheel with a closet full of Carolina Blue, an angry old deacon as your mascot is a pretty awesome draw
I went through a long post earlier in this thread as to my decision but, for what it's worth to you, I have a full ride at both and will choose UNC without doubt. For someone who wants to stay in NC, at equal costs, I don't think the in state alumni network can be beat. Also, the proximity to one of the two main legal markets in the state provides benefits of its own. To be fair, Wake is a perfectly reasonable choice for someone intending to stay in NC and provides a very nice facility. I enjoyed the building, tour, and class I sat in on a good deal.

Just as a follow up on the off chance you or someone deposited at both

Wake's "big law" (as attorneys at firms of 100+) for the class of 2015 was 17 people, with zero federal clerkships. Out of 138 graduates 17/138 is 12.3%

UNC's "big law" for the class of 2014 (have not yet released the 2015 data) was 46 people, with 16 federal clerkships. Out of 243 graduates 62/243 is 25.5%.

Neither are great odds if this is the outcome you have to have, but still worth knowing. Obviously plenty of other options from either school, but this seems to be one of the few accepted baselines on these forums.

On the flip side, Wake only reports 3 unemployed seeking while UNC reports 27.
Still deciding on schools with Wake Forest in strong contention, but was a bit disappointed at this year's clerkship results. Otherwise, I really like the school and the people at Wake Forest. From what I understand, this year's graduating class will be the first to have undergone their new career services push that started at 1L year, so I'm assuming 2016 numbers will be better.
If it makes you feel better, I personally know a couple 3Ls who are taking jobs in federal clerkships.

DorcasPond

New

Post by DorcasPond » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:39 pm

Roundhill wrote:
HangingAround wrote:
HangingAround wrote:
carolinalawyer007 wrote:
EasttoWest94 wrote:
lawhopesdreams wrote:Hey guys,

I'm really trying to decide between UNC and Wake it is a hard choice, anyone deciding between the two?
I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning towards Wake. Although money is a factor, I've become more sure of my decision after learning about their facilities, sections sizes, and how much they care about admitted students. Wake has made every effort to make me feel welcome and wanted. UNC, not so much.... although I do like UNC's mascot and colors more haha
Same here. Equal cost to both although COL in Winston makes it slightly cheaper. UNC was my number 1 initially but Wake has kind of won me over. I graduated from Carolina undergrad a few years ago and while I loved it, after visiting both Wake just feels like more of a family and less of a factory, like they want you to succeed more. But I still love Carolina and have been flip flopping like crazy before the deposit deadline next Friday.

And as a former Tarheel with a closet full of Carolina Blue, an angry old deacon as your mascot is a pretty awesome draw
I went through a long post earlier in this thread as to my decision but, for what it's worth to you, I have a full ride at both and will choose UNC without doubt. For someone who wants to stay in NC, at equal costs, I don't think the in state alumni network can be beat. Also, the proximity to one of the two main legal markets in the state provides benefits of its own. To be fair, Wake is a perfectly reasonable choice for someone intending to stay in NC and provides a very nice facility. I enjoyed the building, tour, and class I sat in on a good deal.

Just as a follow up on the off chance you or someone deposited at both

Wake's "big law" (as attorneys at firms of 100+) for the class of 2015 was 17 people, with zero federal clerkships. Out of 138 graduates 17/138 is 12.3%

UNC's "big law" for the class of 2014 (have not yet released the 2015 data) was 46 people, with 16 federal clerkships. Out of 243 graduates 62/243 is 25.5%.

Neither are great odds if this is the outcome you have to have, but still worth knowing. Obviously plenty of other options from either school, but this seems to be one of the few accepted baselines on these forums.

On the flip side, Wake only reports 3 unemployed seeking while UNC reports 27.
Still deciding on schools with Wake Forest in strong contention, but was a bit disappointed at this year's clerkship results. Otherwise, I really like the school and the people at Wake Forest. From what I understand, this year's graduating class will be the first to have undergone their new career services push that started at 1L year, so I'm assuming 2016 numbers will be better.
That is a pretty scary number to look at, but I know at least the class of 2016 will have better figures. FWIW, of the four students I know at Wake, three of them are 3Ls. Two of those three have federal clerkships lined up for after graduation. Obviously anecdotal, but at least we know the future stats won't be zero! :wink:

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:06 pm

I know everyone has made their decision at this point, but if anyone has any last minute questions, please let me know!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soccerchick

New

Post by soccerchick » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:14 am

cricketlove00 wrote:I know everyone has made their decision at this point, but if anyone has any last minute questions, please let me know!
Do you know when wake normally releases sections and schedules?

mnelsa14

New

Post by mnelsa14 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm

Last edited by mnelsa14 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paper plate

New

Post by paper plate » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:09 pm

What's the parking situation like off campus? On campus parking seems pretty expensive so I was thinking about getting the parking permit for UCC. Is that a popular option it's a lot cheaper, though I think you have to catch a shuttle bus to campus.

soccerchick

New

Post by soccerchick » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:51 am

paper plate wrote:What's the parking situation like off campus? On campus parking seems pretty expensive so I was thinking about getting the parking permit for UCC. Is that a popular option it's a lot cheaper, though I think you have to catch a shuttle bus to campus.
I have heard that campus parking is REALLY rough. One of the reasons I liked crowne polo since it has a shuttle and walking path

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paper plate

New

Post by paper plate » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:37 pm

soccerchick wrote:
paper plate wrote:What's the parking situation like off campus? On campus parking seems pretty expensive so I was thinking about getting the parking permit for UCC. Is that a popular option it's a lot cheaper, though I think you have to catch a shuttle bus to campus.
I have heard that campus parking is REALLY rough. One of the reasons I liked crowne polo since it has a shuttle and walking path

Unfortunately I won't be living at a complex that has a shuttle bus so I guess I'll have to deal with the parking situation. But at this point due to cost, I definitely think I'll be choosing the off-campus parking options.

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:14 pm

soccerchick wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:I know everyone has made their decision at this point, but if anyone has any last minute questions, please let me know!
We got ours last year July 30. Year before was Aug 1.

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:16 pm

soccerchick wrote:
Walking path > Shuttle. Shuttle doesn't drop you that close to the law school (But the Crowne Oaks one does).

Walking path + Bike = On campus in 5 minutes.

And yeah. On campus parking is pretty rough. If you're there by like 930-10, good luck.

WakeLaw16

New

Post by WakeLaw16 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:22 pm

I was a fan of the church lot. I never had trouble finding parking there and the walk from the church lot to the law school is short.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:35 am

I've had the on-campus (not church lot) parking pass for two years. It's convenient, but ONLY if you can get to class early enough. It wasn't a problem by 1L year, but last year they added an addition to Worrell and it houses undergrad classes. The greedy undergrads will literally drive FROM THEIR DORM ROOMS to the W lot next to Worrell and take all the spaces.

Honestly, the church lot is not that far and you'll be saving money. I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be doing this year, but that's mostly because I don't have a lot of morning classes.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:37 am

Shirosham wrote:
soccerchick wrote:
We got ours last year July 30. Year before was Aug 1.
They won't directly tell you either. I remember setting up my furniture in Polo and I just happened to check WIN and my schedule was there.

However, you can look at the different schedules/professors on WIN right now by clicking "register for class using class search" and looking at the classes. You just won't know which one you're in until probably August.

wakeundergrad

New

Post by wakeundergrad » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:37 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:I've had the on-campus (not church lot) parking pass for two years. It's convenient, but ONLY if you can get to class early enough. It wasn't a problem by 1L year, but last year they added an addition to Worrell and it houses undergrad classes. The greedy undergrads will literally drive FROM THEIR DORM ROOMS to the W lot next to Worrell and take all the spaces.

Honestly, the church lot is not that far and you'll be saving money. I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be doing this year, but that's mostly because I don't have a lot of morning classes.
Seeing as Freshmen have to park completely off-campus and most upperclassmen have to park as far away from their dorms as Worrell, I think it'd serve you well to hop off that high horse and realize that no one is driving from their dorms to take YOUR spot.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:39 pm

wakeundergrad wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:I've had the on-campus (not church lot) parking pass for two years. It's convenient, but ONLY if you can get to class early enough. It wasn't a problem by 1L year, but last year they added an addition to Worrell and it houses undergrad classes. The greedy undergrads will literally drive FROM THEIR DORM ROOMS to the W lot next to Worrell and take all the spaces.

Seeing as Freshmen have to park completely off-campus and most upperclassmen have to park as far away from their dorms as Worrell, I think it'd serve you well to hop off that high horse and realize that no one is driving from their dorms to take YOUR spot.
Oh Jesus F C relax. This is information that I got from the Deans and also from Parking and Transportation. Plus, the Worrell edition is almost entirely undergrad classes from what I know and there is barely any parking since that was built. Most of the cars have resident parking stickers on them. It's not hard to figure out.

Thank God I didn't go to Wake for undergrad. Now I know why everyone complains so much about the hostility on campus.

Y'all who are going to law school at Wake -- most, if not all, law students are way more mature than "wakeundergrad." Don't let it dissuade you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wakeundergrad

New

Post by wakeundergrad » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:31 pm

cricketlove00 wrote:
wakeundergrad wrote:

Oh Jesus F C relax. This is information that I got from the Deans and also from Parking and Transportation. Plus, the Worrell edition is almost entirely undergrad classes from what I know and there is barely any parking since that was built. Most of the cars have resident parking stickers on them. It's not hard to figure out.

Thank God I didn't go to Wake for undergrad. Now I know why everyone complains so much about the hostility on campus.

Y'all who are going to law school at Wake -- most, if not all, law students are way more mature than "wakeundergrad." Don't let it dissuade you.
* addition, not edition...

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:23 am

wakeundergrad wrote:
cricketlove00 wrote:
wakeundergrad wrote:

* addition, not edition...
bye

tarheel123

New

Post by tarheel123 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:01 pm

Been on the WL since March. Emailed admissions about decisions and they said I should get one by mid-week this week. Anyone still riding out the WL?

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:52 pm

Hey incoming 1Ls -

I just got the parking email. Looks like you can sign up for parking on 8/15/16. However, the email says that first year grad students will not be able to buy the on campus pass. This is probably due to the parking problems we've been having.

It was a little hidden in the email so I wanted to make sure you all saw it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hokie6260

New

Post by hokie6260 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:59 pm

I'm currently an 1L at another school wanting to apply as a transfer to Wake next year. If anyone has any info or advice on transferring there could you PM me?

Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”