George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Toomanycooks
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:52 pm

George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby Toomanycooks » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Figured I'd get the ball rolling on this as it seems like they sent out a bunch of decisions today. Checking in, and from the looks of it, we may be here for quite some time (maybe July or later...).

9427lls
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby 9427lls » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Also waitlisted...

ChiefOstenaco
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:02 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby ChiefOstenaco » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:56 pm

.
Last edited by ChiefOstenaco on Wed May 06, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

refugeelawyer26
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby refugeelawyer26 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:20 pm

Same, WL. Just like 5 other schools but GW is my #1.

TheMick
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby TheMick » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Waitlisted

That means I am WL for GWU, UW and UCLA....

JHP
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:11 am

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby JHP » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:54 pm

Waitlisted, but I suspect this was because I was naive (read: idiotic) and listed all 21 schools I applied to.
I thought I would get in, but I think they figure I won't be going there :(
Now to wait and see whether I should send an LOCI.

User avatar
NoBladesNoBows
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:25 pm

.
Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3108
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:30 pm

.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JHP
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:11 am

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby JHP » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:21 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:
JHP wrote:Waitlisted, but I suspect this was because I was naive (read: idiotic) and listed all 21 schools I applied to.
I thought I would get in, but I think they figure I won't be going there :(
Now to wait and see whether I should send an LOCI.


I did the same and also got WL'd lol.


They don't seem to look any more kindly on an empty space where that list would go, speaking from personal experience. It would be fun to do an analysis looking at the correlation between the number of schools listed and the likelihood of being accepted, controlling for other relevant factors. Not sure how to differentiate among the quality of the other schools listed, which also probably plays a significant role.


Agreed that they'd prefer to take someone over an empty slot, but when my numbers are pretty mediocre and I doubt they're really that short of applicants, I think the game plan is that they'll wait for the fish to bite and see who really wants the slot versus who is lazy/doesn't care enough to try and chase the acceptance.

In any case, I haven't even heard from GULC so I'll be waiting for my likely ding or possible WL from GULC before begging GW to take me.

siddhishah
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby siddhishah » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Any one getting updates on waiting list? How big is the waiting list they keep in George Washington?

periwinkle
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby periwinkle » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:07 pm

It is pretty big because many of the matriculants to the T14 use GW as a super safety. For some reason GW still lets in 170+ high gpa kids and thinks they can lure them with a partial scholly. Don't ask me.

A disproportionately large amount of their entering classes (in recent years) ultimately come from their wait list. For example, I am above both their medians and for some reason I was wait listed. With that being said, I doubt their entering class is going to be magically full of 167+ and 3.7+ students. They are definitely a game-playing school, they use ethically questionable means like admitting far fewer students than will actually attend simply in an attempt to prevent themselves from dropping further down the rankings. I believe they even gauge people on the WL as they want to only let off people who are FOR SURE FOR SURE about coming so they can appear to be more selective.

User avatar
HopefulURM
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby HopefulURM » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:24 pm

periwinkle wrote:It is pretty big because many of the matriculants to the T14 use GW as a super safety. For some reason GW still lets in 170+ high gpa kids and thinks they can lure them with a partial scholly. Don't ask me.

A disproportionately large amount of their entering classes (in recent years) ultimately come from their wait list. For example, I am above both their medians and for some reason I was wait listed. With that being said, I doubt their entering class is going to be magically full of 167+ and 3.7+ students. They are definitely a game-playing school, they use ethically questionable means like admitting far fewer students than will actually attend simply in an attempt to prevent themselves from dropping further down the rankings. I believe they even gauge people on the WL as they want to only let off people who are FOR SURE FOR SURE about coming so they can appear to be more selective.

Not sure about the whole "game-playing school" idea. I am below both 25th percentiles and was accepted a while back. Denied at a few other 20s and 30s ranked schools at the same time.

User avatar
lawdoggy
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby lawdoggy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Yeah, I dunno about all this "game-playing" conjecture. GW admits students that fit their profile for what they need to fill their various programs. For instance, they are very tied into the USPTO and have a huge IP program. They admit a lot of STEM people to fill their needs there. I am one of those STEM admits.

Surely they do play the numbers just like every other school. But I really think you're reading way too much into it if you really think they're playing games with your admission.

Having said all of that, my seat will be opening up soon. Best of luck to all.

siddhishah
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby siddhishah » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:13 am

They mention that their wait list is not ranked. Does it mean they will give admission to any random students from wait list?

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby storpappa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:00 am

siddhishah wrote:They mention that their wait list is not ranked. Does it mean they will give admission to any random students from wait list?

It's been said before -- if they need more of a certain group of background to help them meet their own class balance needs, that is outside of our control. Just as LSAT/GPA is already set. The only things we can do now are hope, express interest and make your other plans. Those plans such as a lease may take you off of the wait list this weekend or next month.

Can you wait till day before classes and go at full sticker?
If not then you have a deadline before the day classes start

refugeelawyer26
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby refugeelawyer26 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:35 pm

When I called a few weeks ago they said there should be a wait list update April 17. I called today and they said there is nothing that has changed :O

Zombie
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby Zombie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Did anyone get an email today asking about your continued interest in GW Law? The email says that "you are among a select group of applicants being considered for admission." Not exactly sure if this means anything or if it's just a mass email..

siddhishah
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby siddhishah » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:49 pm

I did...seems like mass email :(

siddhishah
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby siddhishah » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:22 am

I called the admissions office yesterday and they told me that they usually have around ~300 people in their waiting list. So the selected group they are talking about could be like 100 people - you never know. :)

Zombie
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby Zombie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:33 pm

siddhishah wrote:I called the admissions office yesterday and they told me that they usually have around ~300 people in their waiting list. So the selected group they are talking about could be like 100 people - you never know. :)


What if they just send the email to everyone on the walitlist :twisted:

siddhishah
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby siddhishah » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:45 pm

To be honest, it gave me some hope when I got that mail But after seeing your post, I was like Aah crap this is mass email..grrr

User avatar
storpappa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 am

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby storpappa » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:55 pm

It's a mass email - the entire WL pool should be getting some type of email in the next week or so to confirm interest

Zombie
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby Zombie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:07 pm

siddhishah wrote:To be honest, it gave me some hope when I got that mail But after seeing your post, I was like Aah crap this is mass email..grrr


Aww that's sad...

Immanueldoesntpun
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby Immanueldoesntpun » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:37 pm

Didn't receive the email, freaking out. I was going to send a LOCI on Monday but I may be too late?

User avatar
runninglawyer
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:30 am

Re: George Washington Law 2014-15 Waitlist

Postby runninglawyer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:25 am

Immanueldoesntpun wrote:Didn't receive the email, freaking out. I was going to send a LOCI on Monday but I may be too late?


i didn't receive the email either and sent a LOCI about a week and a half ago. it looks like it was sent out friday so hopeful thinking we'll get ours today? :?

and i don't know if this counts for anything, but GW claims they don't rank their waitlist.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”