Are schools on average doling out decisions later this cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
John_rizzy_rawls

Are schools on average doling out decisions later this cycle

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Furiously lurking the various school decisions threads, it seems like this may be the case. Relation to drop in applicants?

phillywc

Re: Are schools on average doling out decisions later this cycle

Postby phillywc » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:14 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Furiously lurking the various school decisions threads, it seems like this may be the case. Relation to drop in applicants?

Some schools seem to be starting earlier but releasing smaller batches? NYU started very early this cycle but hasn't done anything in nearly a week now. I think Cornell and HLS both also started early this year.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:14 pm

That's basically my theory. I'm guessing that schools are holding out in the hopes that they will end up getting more applicants with better numbers.

Postby 05062014 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:24 pm

I have not heard a peep from anyone except duke through priority track process and I submitted all my apps in early november. I thought the first monday of december would yield at least something from about half of the schools i applied to, but sadly, this has not been the case.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:16 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:That's basically my theory. I'm guessing that schools are holding out in the hopes that they will end up getting more applicants with better numbers.

Also my thoughts.

And Philly, yeah they started early but there just haven't been nearly as many decisions by December as usual, it seems.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:35 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:That's basically my theory. I'm guessing that schools are holding out in the hopes that they will end up getting more applicants with better numbers.

Also my thoughts.

And Philly, yeah they started early but there just haven't been nearly as many decisions by December as usual, it seems.

I don't know man, but it is killing me. I expected to already have decisions.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:07 am

I think the late thanksgiving might have something to do with it, too

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:11 am

Maybe. I'm subscribing to the whole waiting on the full applicant pool due to declining applicants with good enough numbers to maintain top school medians theory. Because TT/TTTs are giving out acceptances right on schedule, if not more eagerly, whereas schools on the higher end are all waitlisting or just incommunicado. Given that it's almost mid-December that's just odd.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:14 am

Schools need to internalize that apps and medians will decline and just accept me already. You can't do any better, Chicago. I'm all you got.

neprep

Postby neprep » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:39 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Maybe. I'm subscribing to the whole waiting on the full applicant pool due to declining applicants with good enough numbers to maintain top school medians theory. Because TT/TTTs are giving out acceptances right on schedule, if not more eagerly, whereas schools on the higher end are all waitlisting or just incommunicado. Given that it's almost mid-December that's just odd.

But if this were the case, shouldn't it also hold that most early applicants with good numbers should be snapped up right away? They seem to be acting slowly even for people with numbers around their medians and 75ths.

SparkyZZZ

Postby SparkyZZZ » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:34 am

I kind of get the feeling that applications might be up this year...at least for the top 30 law schools. That would explain the timing/behavior of the admissions folks.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:48 am

SparkyZZZ wrote:I kind of get the feeling that applications might be up this year...at least for the top 30 law schools. That would explain the timing/behavior of the admissions folks.

Not sure how that could be possible, considering the continuing double-digit declines in the number of LSAT takers. I guess there could be more people thinking "It's a buyer's market - may as well blanket the T20!", but I can't imagine any real increase in admission-worthy applicants to the T30 this cycle.

nicholasavallone

Postby nicholasavallone » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:05 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:I kind of get the feeling that applications might be up this year...at least for the top 30 law schools. That would explain the timing/behavior of the admissions folks.

Doesn't seem like it, based on Spivey's thread over in the Admissions forum. He said most adcomms that he spoke to were concerned about applications going down ESPECIALLY in the top 14 (except YHS and WUSTL, the former will pretty much always be able to float by and the latter gave out full rides like candy last cycle). It's supposed to be the best year yet for applicants.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:48 pm

Schools are waiting on people that in the past would be WL'ed or rejected, and accepting people that would have been normally admitted in the past. Decline in number of highly-qualified candidates means right now we just see more waiting than usual, IMO. I do think next week will be a big one...

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:56 pm

wtrc wrote:Schools are waiting on people that in the past would be WL'ed or rejected, and accepting people that would have been normally admitted in the past. Decline in number of highly-qualified candidates means right now we just see more waiting than usual, IMO. I do think next week will be a big one...

I have been surprised that I haven't been rejected anywhere yet. My numbers are well outside of being T14 material but I applied to most of them anyways because why not and I haven't been rejected from a single school yet.

Postby 05062014 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:00 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
wtrc wrote:Schools are waiting on people that in the past would be WL'ed or rejected, and accepting people that would have been normally admitted in the past. Decline in number of highly-qualified candidates means right now we just see more waiting than usual, IMO. I do think next week will be a big one...

I have been surprised that I haven't been rejected anywhere yet. My numbers are well outside of being T14 material but I applied to most of them anyways because why not and I haven't been rejected from a single school yet.

Don't most rejections start in Jan, regardless of numbers?

OsaroLJ

Postby OsaroLJ » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:57 pm

abdistotle wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

Don't most rejections start in Jan, regardless of numbers?

Buzzkill :|

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Are more schools interviewing? That might be slowing down some.

It also might be that the pool of applicants on TLS/LSN is smaller and less active than in other years, so less admissions decisions are getting reported.

The Dark Kite

Postby The Dark Kite » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Correct. If you have AWFUL numbers, you'll get rejected at a time the reflects the average throughout the past few years' cycles. Accordingly, if you have stellar numbers, schools will be jumping over each other to get you in and entice you to choose them.

If you fall anywhere in the middle... it's gonna be a long while because schools don't want to commit to potentially dropping the caliber of their admitted students before seeing the whole crop. So top schools won't reject you outright, they'll hold you until they need you. Brace yourself because this can be while you're packing for orientation for another school... we're talkin' deep into the summer.

Hold tight, y'all. Long winter ahead ;)

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:55 pm

He's the kite we need right now but not the one we deserve. I agree with that assessment.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:09 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:

Correct. If you have AWFUL numbers, you'll get rejected at a time the reflects the average throughout the past few years' cycles. Accordingly, if you have stellar numbers, schools will be jumping over each other to get you in and entice you to choose them.

If you fall anywhere in the middle... it's gonna be a long while because schools don't want to commit to potentially dropping the caliber of their admitted students before seeing the whole crop. So top schools won't reject you outright, they'll hold you until they need you. Brace yourself because this can be while you're packing for orientation for another school... we're talkin' deep into the summer.

Hold tight, y'all. Long winter ahead ;)

Ah man

crisgcia

Postby crisgcia » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Well this is encouraging.

At the same time, glad to know that this has been a common trend this cycle and that it's not just my imagination.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”