Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goldgirl786

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Law c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 cycle)

Post by goldgirl786 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:01 pm

gobears!! wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
goldgirl786 wrote:So no chances of anymore RD decisions until the new year huh? or so it seems
i don't think so
Let's hope they make it rain decisions at 5 as a last hoorah before the holiday break
Sadly, Johann hasn't tweeted about decisions though today, that i'm aware of anyway. So unless it's a SURPRISE, I doubt it :cry:

jstep

New

Post by jstep » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:02 pm

gobears!! wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
goldgirl786 wrote:So no chances of anymore RD decisions until the new year huh? or so it seems
i don't think so
Let's hope they make it rain decisions at 5 as a last hoorah before the holiday break
Real talk doe.. I'm down.

gobears!!

Gold

Post by gobears!! » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:24 pm

jstep wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
gobears!! wrote:
i don't think so
Real talk doe.. I'm down.
I don't even need a phone call. Just a three word email would make me happy! You are...

jstep

New

Post by jstep » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:29 pm

They should schedule admits to go out on Christmas Day morning. That would be epic.

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:40 am

I don't like the typo in the application status email: "Please note that your decision letter will not be mail." I proofread my materials, why didn't they do the same? :-(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:39 am

pixy1900 wrote:I don't like the typo in the application status email: "Please note that your decision letter will not be mail." I proofread my materials, why didn't they do the same? :-(
+1

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:10 pm

So is there a consensus on whether one should tailor their PS to Northwestern? Or is it fine to use one's "general" PS so long as it is sufficiently "personal". From what I've read I'm not sure if they prefer a "Why NU" PS to a "this is an aspect of my life, personality, etc." PS.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:59 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:So is there a consensus on whether one should tailor their PS to Northwestern? Or is it fine to use one's "general" PS so long as it is sufficiently "personal". From what I've read I'm not sure if they prefer a "Why NU" PS to a "this is an aspect of my life, personality, etc." PS.
Generally tailoring is a bad idea. It usually comes of as contrived. Use the PS to really tell the adcoms something you can't say in any other part of the app. Give them a window into who you are. Don't rehash the resume, etc. Its a "personal" statement, so unless there is something about NU that is deeply related to something about you and your personality, I wouldn't tailor it.

For what it's worth, I didn't tailor mine, and it also really had nothing to do with law school except in the most abstract, general sense. It was very personal and told them something about my life they would not have otherwise known. I was fortunate enough to have been accepted to NU last week so I think it was at least somewhat successful.

Hope that helps! :)

BentleyLittle

Bronze

Post by BentleyLittle » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:09 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
BentleyLittle wrote:So is there a consensus on whether one should tailor their PS to Northwestern? Or is it fine to use one's "general" PS so long as it is sufficiently "personal". From what I've read I'm not sure if they prefer a "Why NU" PS to a "this is an aspect of my life, personality, etc." PS.
Generally tailoring is a bad idea. It usually comes of as contrived. Use the PS to really tell the adcoms something you can't say in any other part of the app. Give them a window into who you are. Don't rehash the resume, etc. Its a "personal" statement, so unless there is something about NU that is deeply related to something about you and your personality, I wouldn't tailor it.

For what it's worth, I didn't tailor mine, and it also really had nothing to do with law school except in the most abstract, general sense. It was very personal and told them something about my life they would not have otherwise known. I was fortunate enough to have been accepted to NU last week so I think it was at least somewhat successful.

That definitely helps and honestly was the sort of answer I was hoping for. Thank you very much!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:54 pm

HELP

So I'm admittedly a newb to online forums on these here interwebs (I thought they were a series of tubes!). I've read some of the responses and it seems like there are some people who have had the same problem as me. So maybe someone has some insight.

I've been crazy busy lately so I haven't done much status checking, but I checked NU status today and it says "Application Complete" and my current status is 12/10. The only mailings I have listed are the initial one from back in October. I went to the other link some of you all have mentioned and it says:

"Your application was received on 10/11/2013 and is complete as of 12/10/2013.

We are unable to display your letter because there has been an error in the decision letter database. Please send an email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu and we will work with IT to have this fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience."

Ummmmmmm, so do I email these people (on a Sunday!?!?!)

str8yolked

Bronze

Post by str8yolked » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:56 pm

I've had no updates since my interview a little over a month ago. Is this normal?

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:01 pm

UserNameHere wrote:HELP

So I'm admittedly a newb to online forums on these here interwebs (I thought they were a series of tubes!). I've read some of the responses and it seems like there are some people who have had the same problem as me. So maybe someone has some insight.

I've been crazy busy lately so I haven't done much status checking, but I checked NU status today and it says "Application Complete" and my current status is 12/10. The only mailings I have listed are the initial one from back in October. I went to the other link some of you all have mentioned and it says:

We are unable to display your letter because there has been an error in the decision letter database. Please send an email to admissions@law.northwestern.edu and we will work with IT to have this fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience."

Nope. The way I understand it (I might be wrong) is that first your status checker will update to decison rendered (Or something to that effect), then after 3 -4 hours you may login into the letter system to check for your letter. So basically don't email them just yet because there is no letter to post in your account (Hence the error message).

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Babum wrote:

Nope. The way I understand it (I might be wrong) is that first your status checker will update to decison rendered (Or something to that effect), then after 3 -4 hours you may login into the letter system to check for your letter. So basically don't email them just yet because there is no letter to post in your account (Hence the error message).
Thanks! Just seems crazy to take this long. I was RD, but I interviewed back in early Nov, thought I did well, have some solid softs, and numbers that seem to fit the mold.

Keep calm and wait on!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:21 pm

UserNameHere wrote: Thanks! Just seems crazy to take this long. I was RD, but I interviewed back in early Nov, thought I did well, have some solid softs, and numbers that seem to fit the mold.

Keep calm and wait on!
Most likely, your interviewer took a whille to submit or something.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:15 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

That definitely helps and honestly was the sort of answer I was hoping for. Thank you very much!
If you have work experience you could write a PS about that if you haven't already: boom tailored to NU without being contrived.

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:54 pm

UserNameHere wrote:
Babum wrote:

Thanks! Just seems crazy to take this long. I was RD, but I interviewed back in early Nov, thought I did well, have some solid softs, and numbers that seem to fit the mold.

Keep calm and wait on!
Also, their status checker says that you should expect 8 - 12 weeks from December 1.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Woohoo im just excited to be complete. Hoping I hear back early January

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AGrafton

New

Post by AGrafton » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
AGrafton wrote:Accepted, RD both numbers <25th percentile
Complete: 09/16/13
Decision: 12/19/13
Wow, nice. URM?

Congrats
Yup

goldgirl786

Bronze

Post by goldgirl786 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:02 am

Anyone know what the working days are for the holidays/if anymore decisions will go out before the new year...doubtful but wishful ha

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:15 am

goldgirl786 wrote:Anyone know what the working days are for the holidays/if anymore decisions will go out before the new year...doubtful but wishful ha
I don't think anything else will be heard until 2014.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:20 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
goldgirl786 wrote:Anyone know what the working days are for the holidays/if anymore decisions will go out before the new year...doubtful but wishful ha
Ya, Johann's twitter said they'd only have a skeleton crew around through next week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goldgirl786

Bronze

Post by goldgirl786 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:43 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Ya, Johann's twitter said they'd only have a skeleton crew around through next week.
Well last year there were acceptances on the 29th I believe...so here's to hope!

goldgirl786

Bronze

Post by goldgirl786 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:56 pm

goldgirl786 wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Well last year there were acceptances on the 29th I believe...so here's to hope!
JK that was the year before...

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:45 pm

In Chicago, so I'm swinging by the law school today. Might take some pictures

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:00 pm

Finally got bumped up to the front page. We were slackin'.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”