WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How old are you?

21-
12%
22-23
29%
24-26
38%
27-30
15%
30+
5%

Total votes: 99

bound

Silver

Re: WUSTL c/o 2017 Applicants (2013-2014 Cycle)

Post by bound » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 pm

HAHA too good!! I wish I had a picture of me in my whites with my lambs!

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Attax wrote: I didn't do FFA, but I've wrangled quite a few herds of cattle in my life.
Always wanted to spend a summer driving cattle. Super jealous.

bound

Silver

Post by bound » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
Attax wrote: I didn't do FFA, but I've wrangled quite a few herds of cattle in my life.

It sounds cool until they don't do what you want them to. Then its just annoying.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Austinbound wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

It sounds cool until they don't do what you want them to. Then its just annoying.
I currently teach 6th graders...

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Austinbound wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

That's what the cattle prods are for, although it still doesn't work. I should clarify, I didn't do it on a big ranch, just a small farm with maybe 50-100 heads of cattle at most times. The tricky part is getting the 15-20 that we are taking to market into the pen and then getting them to go into the trailer. I very much enjoy it and would love to own a ranch someday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:01 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
Austinbound wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

I currently teach 6th graders...
Cattle, 6th graders, not much difference.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:08 pm

Third post in a row:

should I email admissions or financial aid regarding lack of scholarship info?

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:09 pm

Attax wrote:Third post in a row:

When were you admitted?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:

When were you admitted?
1/10 :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:14 pm

Attax wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

When were you admitted?
I would personally wait until Monday at next week so you can honestly say it's been a month.

Source: Speculation, opinion

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:17 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
Attax wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

When were you admitted?
I would personally wait until Monday at next week so you can honestly say it's been a month.

+1

Scholly info has been sporadic, to say the least. The first wave of scholarships that I know of (other than some lucky individuals like myself) was late January. There were people who waited for 2 months or more IIRC.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:
Attax wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
When were you admitted?

+1

Scholly info has been sporadic, to say the least. The first wave of scholarships that I know of (other than some lucky individuals like myself) was late January. There were people who waited for 2 months or more IIRC.
Yeah that's what it seemed like. But it also feel as if those admitted in January are waiting 1-2 weeks now. Le sigh. I'm such an impatient person.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Relevant updates for you guys from SBA.

1. Our job placement is going up. Partly because our class sizes have been reduced to adjust to the market, and partly cuz market is getting better (slightly). Our 2L's are killing it so far compared to the past in terms of summer positions.
2. In short, the dean and adcomm know that you guys expected/are expecting full rides. We had a 49% increase in applications from last year even though applications in the aggregate has crashed.
3. Our ranking will stay or be higher when the new list comes out in March. Some of our historical peers will drop. Personally I think we'll reclaim #18.

Takeaway: Be patient with scholarships. Good things come to those who wait. But realistically speaking, there probably won't be a mass bail-out, so adjust your expectations accordingly, WashU could still be the best option you have even if it's not a full-ride. And it is in your interests to 1. Actually really consider if you want to come here and 2. REALLY communicate your interest to the adcomm. They've been doing this for awhile and they'll be able to tell if you're just using them as a bartering chip.

Another takeaway that you guys might not care about but is still extremely important: Our administration is extremely open and candid with us about issues like employment, U.S. News Rankings, admissions, and budget, constraints. This might not matter to you now, but once you're a student, you'll appreciate it. Most schools don't practice this level of transparency.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:32 pm

yossarian71 wrote:I prefer to think of private school as a place where well-dressed people try to determine the function of a constant.

Lol. Good stuff.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:35 pm

cusenation wrote:Relevant updates for you guys from SBA.

1. Our job placement is going up. Partly because our class sizes have been reduced to adjust to the market, and partly cuz market is getting better (slightly). Our 2L's are killing it so far compared to the past in terms of summer positions.
2. In short, the dean and adcomm know that you guys expected/are expecting full rides. We had a 49% increase in applications from last year even though applications in the aggregate has crashed.
3. Our ranking will stay or be higher when the new list comes out in March. Some of our historical peers will drop. Personally I think we'll reclaim #18.

Takeaway: Be patient with scholarships. Good things come to those who wait. But realistically speaking, there probably won't be a mass bail-out, so adjust your expectations accordingly, WashU could still be the best option you have even if it's not a full-ride. And it is in your interests to 1. Actually really consider if you want to come here and 2. REALLY communicate your interest to the adcomm. They've been doing this for awhile and they'll be able to tell if you're just using them as a bartering chip.

Another takeaway that you guys might not care about but is still extremely important: Our administration is extremely open and candid with us about issues like employment, U.S. News Rankings, admissions, and budget, constraints. This might not matter to you now, but once you're a student, you'll appreciate it. Most schools don't practice this level of transparency.
Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated. Helps a lot in the decision-making process. This school has gone from #5-6ish in my book to my #2 entirely due to this forum.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks for this and very good to hear!

Do you know if the 2Ls are having luck in specific regions? Where are they really having good success?

WU is currently my #2/3 out of where I've been admitted and am seriously contemplating it.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:38 pm

Attax wrote:

Thanks for this and very good to hear!

Do you know if the 2Ls are having luck in specific regions? Where are they really having good success?

WU is currently my #2/3 out of where I've been admitted and am seriously contemplating it.
Yeah, I could really use some info on how well they have been placing in the Chicago market.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Attax wrote: Thanks for this and very good to hear!

I don't have hard numbers on regional placement. A lot of it depends on where the students have ties and where the students want to go, which fluctuates year to year. I'd be happy to give you anecdotal evidence if you want for certain regions, shoot me a PM.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Seriously, this is amazing. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Weird on placement numbers. I've been hearing from peer schools that placement numbers are up to. But, from the attorneys I've been speaking to, SA's were overall down last year and will still be down this year. Hard for me to reconcile these. Speaking to secondary markets though. Maybe NY/DC/CHI/LA are gobbling people up again.

ojala

New

Post by ojala » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:36 pm

sublime wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:That black dress with the huge white collar in the "Day in the Life" email that just went out. No way people wear that to class, right? Is this what private school is like? We were slumming over in the B1G apparently.
Some people wear a collared shirt like everyday, but most just wear whatever. Noone cares. You see suits sometimes but that usually is just for an interview before or after class.
I'm sure it's not a big deal, but while we are on the subject of clothing, what are people wearing to ASW? Suits?

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:39 pm

ojala wrote:
sublime wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:That black dress with the huge white collar in the "Day in the Life" email that just went out. No way people wear that to class, right? Is this what private school is like? We were slumming over in the B1G apparently.
Some people wear a collared shirt like everyday, but most just wear whatever. Noone cares. You see suits sometimes but that usually is just for an interview before or after class.
I'm sure it's not a big deal, but while we are on the subject of clothing, what are people wearing to ASW? Suits?
Jeans and a button down probably...haven't thought about it really.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:40 pm

Hey. Hey you guys.

Anyone just wanna go to both so I can meet some of you at April ASW?

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:40 pm

ojala wrote:
sublime wrote:
If I end up going I would go blazer/tie/slacks rather than suit. Unless I'm missing some info. We aren't conducting business, so my inclination is to lean more professorial.

bostonbrewer

Bronze

Post by bostonbrewer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:40 pm

John Everyman wrote:
ojala wrote:
sublime wrote:
Jeans and a button down probably...haven't thought about it really.
That's what I was planning on...I really hope I don't have to bring a suit with me on the airplane.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:42 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
ojala wrote:
sublime wrote:
If I end up going I would go blazer/tie/slacks rather than suit. Unless I'm missing some info. We aren't conducting business, so my inclination is to lean more professorial.
Hmmm...may have to rethink the jeans....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”