Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Waitlist Plans?

Riding it out until September
18
42%
Riding it out for a month or two
15
35%
Withdrawing
10
23%
 
Total votes: 43

levin892
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby levin892 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:26 am

So close, yet so far. Figured I would get this thread started. I've included a poll like last year.

User avatar
ajclark1992
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby ajclark1992 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 am

I'll be on here for a bit.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:41 am

So I could search this, but I'll just ask... We have to send in a LOCI, right?

levin892
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby levin892 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:So I could search this, but I'll just ask... We have to send in a LOCI, right?


A couple articles for reference:

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... -room.aspx

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby wert3813 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 am

.
Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:43 am

wert3813 wrote:levin you and your 8 posts up to the challenge of steering this ship?


God damn it wert, not everybody can be as BAMF as you (and I, as at the moment before I posted this we both had 1211 posts)

levin892
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby levin892 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:45 am

wert3813 wrote:levin you and your 8 posts up to the challenge of steering this ship?


Hah, I think I can handle it. Been lurking pretty hard since September.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby wert3813 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:52 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
wert3813 wrote:levin you and your 8 posts up to the challenge of steering this ship?


God damn it wert, not everybody can be as BAMF as you (and I, as at the moment before I posted this we both had 1211 posts)


Creepy. It's cause we were both all over that class ring shit.

And Levin I have full confidence in you Captain.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:54 am

Enviable position to be in, but as someone not in that league GPA wise, I have no idea. There can't be much waitlist movement from Yale right? Their yield rate must be nuts.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby wert3813 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:14 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Enviable position to be in, but as someone not in that league GPA wise, I have no idea. There can't be much waitlist movement from Yale right? Their yield rate must be nuts.


It's about 80%. ~250 offers for ~205 spots. I would think it's reasonable to believe the email. less than 100 people will choose to stay on the WL and they will take about 10.

mark34
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby mark34 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Potentially dumb question, but here goes: on the Harvard deposit form, are we supposed to disclose that we're on the Yale waitlist? There's a section for "pending" applications, but no section for waitlists. It just seems weird not to let Harvard know. Thoughts?

TrustInMusic
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby TrustInMusic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm

mark34 wrote:Potentially dumb question, but here goes: on the Harvard deposit form, are we supposed to disclose that we're on the Yale waitlist? There's a section for "pending" applications, but no section for waitlists. It just seems weird not to let Harvard know. Thoughts?


I wrote "Yale (waitlisted)"

mark34
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby mark34 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:21 pm

TrustInMusic wrote:
mark34 wrote:Potentially dumb question, but here goes: on the Harvard deposit form, are we supposed to disclose that we're on the Yale waitlist? There's a section for "pending" applications, but no section for waitlists. It just seems weird not to let Harvard know. Thoughts?


I wrote "Yale (waitlisted)"


Nice. I think I'll do the same

volp
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:35 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby volp » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:43 pm

when are they usually done taking people off of the wait list? i thought i read june somewhere, but i want to make sure.

hopefully the last post in this thread isn't as sad as the last post in last year's yale wl thread :lol:

User avatar
callmemaybe84
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby callmemaybe84 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm

So, when will someone first get an offer? I'd guess like 10 May?

Here's hoping this isn't totally futile.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm having a pretty hard time deciding whether or not to stay on.

Big factors in my decision:
horrifically irresponsible dad still hasn't filed his taxes, no idea when or if he will (insert conniption here), so HLS's rolling financial aid process is a godsend. I'll be contacting YLS to see if there's any flexibility to their deadline soon. My family is super broke, so I know I'll qualify for need-based aid, making this really important.
Mr. Sabanist will have a MUCH easier time finding a job in Boston and already has friends there, so our collective QOL will probably be better at HLS.
I'm super risk averse, and my dream job is DOJ civil rights. Gives a big upper hand to Yale.

Thoughts? :?

levin892
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby levin892 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:17 pm

sabanist wrote:I'm having a pretty hard time deciding whether or not to stay on.

Big factors in my decision:
horrifically irresponsible dad still hasn't filed his taxes, no idea when or if he will (insert conniption here), so HLS's rolling financial aid process is a godsend. I'll be contacting YLS to see if there's any flexibility to their deadline soon. My family is super broke, so I know I'll qualify for need-based aid, making this really important.
Mr. Sabanist will have a MUCH easier time finding a job in Boston and already has friends there, so our collective QOL will probably be better at HLS.
I'm super risk averse, and my dream job is DOJ civil rights. Gives a big upper hand to Yale.

Thoughts? :?


Honestly, you might as well keep your options open. Worst thing that can happen is you get in, then decide for whatever reason you'd rather go to Harvard, and they pick someone else off the waitlist. While it might suck to get in and not be able to go because of your father, at least you can say you did all you could.

User avatar
callmemaybe84
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby callmemaybe84 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 pm

sabanist wrote:I'm having a pretty hard time deciding whether or not to stay on.

Big factors in my decision:
horrifically irresponsible dad still hasn't filed his taxes, no idea when or if he will (insert conniption here), so HLS's rolling financial aid process is a godsend. I'll be contacting YLS to see if there's any flexibility to their deadline soon. My family is super broke, so I know I'll qualify for need-based aid, making this really important.
Mr. Sabanist will have a MUCH easier time finding a job in Boston and already has friends there, so our collective QOL will probably be better at HLS.
I'm super risk averse, and my dream job is DOJ civil rights. Gives a big upper hand to Yale.

Thoughts? :?


Are WL offers offered fin aid by the same formula as regular admits? My stuff's in, but I can't find a blog post or anything suggesting what YLS' policy is on this.

But yeah--I agree with Levin, stay in, see what happens. If you don't want the uncertainty, you can withdraw, but I see no objective reason for you not to stay on.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks y'all. You're sort of confirming my hunch, even though I hate uncertainty - I should at least stay on for a while.

Do we know if we have to send LOCI at the same time that we submit the form saying we want to stay on, or can I put that off a little?

levin892
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby levin892 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 pm

sabanist wrote:Thanks y'all. You're sort of confirming my hunch, even though I hate uncertainty - I should at least stay on for a while.

Do we know if we have to send LOCI at the same time that we submit the form saying we want to stay on, or can I put that off a little?


I already sent my form in, holding off my LOCI for a least a week. Doesn't seem like there's any strict formula here.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby sabanist » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:45 pm

please don't quote:
just emailed them about the deadline. I can't say for sure if the response I get will be generally applicable though. (personal things that I'm too chicken to leave up. just rest assured that my family situation is not great right now.)

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby wert3813 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:22 pm

Withdrew today. GL everyone.

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby jselson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:42 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:So I could search this, but I'll just ask... We have to send in a LOCI, right?


After reading those blog posts, I'll be sending in my first LOCI ever.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby wert3813 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 pm

All now that cycles are over/basically over consider posting your Yale 250 in the thread on here. This is one of the few areas that TLS lacks in and we should do our part. For those who are staying on the WL at Yale I'll understand not doing so but for the rest of us, consider contributing to the community.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=68738&start=75

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Yale Waitlist 2012-2013 (c/o 2016)

Postby jselson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26 pm

Well, now I'm sure I'm out. After re-reading my waitlist form over and over again to check for typos, I uploaded it to my email account, pressed send, and precisely at the moment I pressed send realized I had addressed the email to "Mr. Janacek" rather than "Mr. Janecek." Great.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AustinLu, Exabot [Bot], Pomegranate27, Rich Uncle Skeleton and 12 guests