A Question About Reservation/Declining an Offer of Admission

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
infalliblyyours
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:59 am

A Question About Reservation/Declining an Offer of Admission

Postby infalliblyyours » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:12 pm

So I have a question: If I sent in a check to reserve an offer of admissions from a law school on Friday, April 12th (the deadline for this reservation was today, April 15th), and they have not cashed in the check yet, and I've changed my mind, could I email them to decline the offer, and stop payment from the bank. And would I have to tell them in my email that I sent in a check, but it was not cashed in yet and I've changed my mind? (Sorry if I'm talking in circles - I have no idea what to do, and I keep having to re-evaluate which offer to accept because I haven't heard from all my schools yet and there are individual deadlines for each school. I just heard from one where I'd rather go than the one I maybe (I don't think so yet, I have no confirmation) reserved, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle it, and if there is any way I can retain the reservation funds, since they have not been cashed in yet.) Please help? Any advice would be welcome.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: A Question About Reservation/Declining an Offer of Admission

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 pm

You can tell then you're withdrawing but I wouldn't mess around with trying to get the money back. Seems like a bad idea especially since admissions offices talk to each other.

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: A Question About Reservation/Declining an Offer of Admission

Postby yupyup » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 pm

It depends on the school. Make sure to read the deposit policy. It should be somewhere in all the paperwork they sent you. I know WUSTL's deadline for deposit was today but they give full refunds of the deposit until May 1 if you change your mind. If you can't find it in writing, it wouldn't hurt to ask the office. I don't think it's a bad idea as long as your tactful and polite.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jstans, proteinshake and 8 guests