Harvard Waitlist 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
toothbrush

Gold

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2013

Post by toothbrush » Fri May 17, 2013 6:37 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
toothbrush wrote:My guess is people who boost their class in whichever desired way. They'll have plenty of high LSAT or gpa people to choose from late in the game but they'll want to scoop up whatever is rare in the batch ( whether that's urm diversity, females, we, internationals )
On the other hand, H historically makes a massive pull of around 150 people from its WL. That definitely impacts their 25/75 and would probably shift medians as well, so I think they have to continue focusing heavily on numbers to some extent. Glancing over the WL, it seems the concern is more GPA than LSAT - more reverse splitters (at least by H standards) than traditional splitters, and a good chunk of the people who recently got JS1s have high GPAs. They've also done a URM wave in the past and again if JS1s are indicative of their needs then I think you'll see a good amount of URM admits this cycle too.

Eta: I suppose I should add a disclaimer that this is all baseless speculation. We're guessing at H's needs right now.
Are you saying there is a WL urm wave? If so, when is that?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri May 17, 2013 6:49 pm

toothbrush wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
toothbrush wrote:My guess is people who boost their class in whichever desired way. They'll have plenty of high LSAT or gpa people to choose from late in the game but they'll want to scoop up whatever is rare in the batch ( whether that's urm diversity, females, we, internationals )
On the other hand, H historically makes a massive pull of around 150 people from its WL. That definitely impacts their 25/75 and would probably shift medians as well, so I think they have to continue focusing heavily on numbers to some extent. Glancing over the WL, it seems the concern is more GPA than LSAT - more reverse splitters (at least by H standards) than traditional splitters, and a good chunk of the people who recently got JS1s have high GPAs. They've also done a URM wave in the past and again if JS1s are indicative of their needs then I think you'll see a good amount of URM admits this cycle too.

Eta: I suppose I should add a disclaimer that this is all baseless speculation. We're guessing at H's needs right now.
Are you saying there is a WL urm wave? If so, when is that?
Yes. In the past one of the J2 (JR, not JS) waves was mostly URMs. I'm too lazy to look up when they happened in previous cycles and don't care to because H is operating on a different timeline than in past years. You could dig around in the old WL threads but I doubt it tells you much other than the fact that H admits a bunch of URMs in addition to high numbers peeps.
Last edited by MyNameIsFlynn! on Fri May 17, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri May 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Yeah, sometimes that's why I feel all this speculating is really based on nothing. So much unprecedented stuff going on this cycle.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri May 17, 2013 6:53 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Are you saying there is a WL urm wave? If so, when is that?
Yes. In the past one of the J2 (JR, not JS) waves was mostly URMs. I'm too lazy to look up when they happened in previous cycles and don't care to because H is operating on a different timeline than in past years.
I'm rereading last year's thread and it looks like the first JS1 wave was mostly URM. They make reference to a URM wave the year before. Apparently it was the first JR2 wave that year.

But I don't think it'll apply this year.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri May 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Lavitz wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
toothbrush wrote:Are you saying there is a WL urm wave? If so, when is that?
Yes. In the past one of the J2 (JR, not JS) waves was mostly URMs. I'm too lazy to look up when they happened in previous cycles and don't care to because H is operating on a different timeline than in past years.
I'm rereading last year's thread and it looks like the first JS1 wave was mostly URM. They make reference to a URM wave the year before. Apparently it was the first JR2 wave that year.

But I don't think it'll apply this year
Why not?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri May 17, 2013 6:55 pm

toothbrush wrote:Why not?
Because
toothbrush wrote:So much unprecedented stuff going on this cycle.
Edit: Seriously though, it's because in the past they were more likely to do small consecutive waves of JS1-->JS2, JS1-->JS2, JS1-->JS2. So the first of those waves could be URMs. This year they just did 4 full weeks of nonstop JS1s. There's no reason for them to only give out URM JS2s first and sit on the rest for a week. They'll probably just release them all at once.

Also I don't see any evidence that last year even had a URM wave for JS2s. It was just the first JS1 wave that included a disproportionate amount of URMs.

lawschooler2be

New

Post by lawschooler2be » Sat May 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Does anyone who had their interview this week remember what JS said at the end regarding the timeline for hearing back?

Edit: Also, has anyone been keeping track of people who had interviews but got rejected? Did their interviews just go poorly? Did the interviewer try to promote the school in these interviews still (I'm seeing this as a possible positive sign but could be wrong)
Last edited by lawschooler2be on Sat May 18, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Sat May 18, 2013 3:07 pm

All I want is a JS1 !!

tidymnstr

New

Post by tidymnstr » Sat May 18, 2013 7:23 pm

On Tuesday she said in 2 weeks. So, the week of May 27th is a good possibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:31 pm

tidymnstr wrote:On Tuesday she said in 2 weeks. So, the week of May 27th is a good possibility.
Can you give some more precise phrasing. (ex. "hopefully within a couple weeks", "two weeks at best", etc)

edit: good lord, i've become neurotic

tidymnstr

New

Post by tidymnstr » Sat May 18, 2013 8:02 pm

It was a little vague, like my memory. Something like: they would start making decisions in a couple weeks or so.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat May 18, 2013 8:12 pm

tidymnstr wrote:It was a little vague, like my memory. Something like: they would start making decisions in a couple weeks or so.
Nothing to see here guys.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat May 18, 2013 8:37 pm

tidymnstr wrote:On Tuesday she said in 2 weeks. So, the week of May 27th is a good possibility.
This is a bad poast and you are a bad poaster.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tidymnstr

New

Post by tidymnstr » Sat May 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Ik, but the "two weeks" part is pretty accurate! :)

porch

Bronze

Post by porch » Sun May 19, 2013 12:00 am

Just got my last semester grades, looks like I am checking out of this thread.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:07 am

porch wrote:Just got my last semester grades, looks like I am checking out of this thread.
Can't be that bad. Keep the faith! Do we even have an obligation to send our latest transcripts to LSAC?

tidymnstr

New

Post by tidymnstr » Sun May 19, 2013 1:04 pm

Michigan doesn't require a LSAC update, just a final transcript sent from the degree-granting institution. Probably true for most. However, it is advantageous if you can update and show steady or upward trending performance. ASAP!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Sun May 19, 2013 1:49 pm

tidymnstr wrote:Michigan doesn't require a LSAC update, just a final transcript sent from the degree-granting institution. Probably true for most. However, it is advantageous if you can update and show steady or upward trending performance. ASAP!
I finished in December and sent a transcript in January, but then I just graduated last week. Do I need to send transcripts again?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun May 19, 2013 2:01 pm

digifly wrote:I finished in December and sent a transcript in January, but then I just graduated last week. Do I need to send transcripts again?
No because nothing changed.

But if you get in and you matriculate then they probably need you to send an official transcript directly to their office.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun May 19, 2013 5:02 pm

tidymnstr wrote:Michigan doesn't require a LSAC update, just a final transcript sent from the degree-granting institution. Probably true for most. However, it is advantageous if you can update and show steady or upward trending performance. ASAP!
That's opposite. The transcript is for once you get in. LSAC updates are still important when you are still being considered.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:14 pm

porch wrote:Just got my last semester grades, looks like I am checking out of this thread.
--ImageRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

feelingood

New

Post by feelingood » Sun May 19, 2013 11:18 pm

Everyone get ready for nothing to happen tomorrow.

digifly

Silver

Post by digifly » Sun May 19, 2013 11:56 pm

Lavitz wrote:
digifly wrote:I finished in December and sent a transcript in January, but then I just graduated last week. Do I need to send transcripts again?
No because nothing changed.

But if you get in and you matriculate then they probably need you to send an official transcript directly to their office.
Okey doke, that's what I figured! I remember KB saying something like, "Oh, do we have your final transcripts yet," but since nothing is different I will just wait to see.

BSC

Bronze

Post by BSC » Mon May 20, 2013 12:03 am

I just got my final grades back and graduated. I'll definitely send a transcript through LSAC, but should I also send them an update about my new gpa and summa cum laude? I figure I could update that stuff on my resume and send it so they'll get it before LSAC gets it to them. Should I? thanks

broadstreet11

Bronze

Post by broadstreet11 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:20 am

feelingood wrote:Everyone get ready for nothing to happen tomorrow.
Negative (albeit realistic) Nancy

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”