Splitter Results for 2012-2013 App Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
andy261

Bronze

Re: Splitter Results for 2012-2013 App Cycle

Post by andy261 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:58 am

pedestrian wrote:
andy261 wrote:Nice, congrats! Always heartening when non-URMs outperform their numbers.
Yikes.
:?: Didn't mean to offend anyone, just meant it in a 'gives me hope as a non-URM' kind of way.

pedestrian

Bronze

Post by pedestrian » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:43 am

Last edited by pedestrian on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:45 am

pedestrian wrote:
andy261 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:
andy261 wrote:Nice, congrats! Always heartening when non-URMs outperform their numbers.
Yikes.
:?: Didn't mean to offend anyone, just meant it in a 'gives me hope as a non-URM' kind of way.
Ah, ok. Sorry, it came off a little great-white-hopey to me. FWIW I'm non-URM and I've waaay outperformed my cycle and I've seen lots of others have too. I've also seen lots of URMs underperform.

I think it's a little weird how we try to split it into URM/non-URM when there are literally dozens of factors. For example, veterans and legacy applicants get a boost but I never see anyone respond to a good cycle by asking, veteran? legacy? It would be strange to say, "good to see non-veterans do well." I think that the "URM=autoadmit" assumption is a little unfair and makes this an uncomfortable space for URM applicants.

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't mean to offend and I'm not trying to start a fight. Just my $0.02 :D
*clap*

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:17 pm

pedestrian wrote:
andy261 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:
Yikes.
Ah, ok. Sorry, it came off a little great-white-hopey to me. FWIW I'm non-URM and I've waaay outperformed my cycle and I've seen lots of others have too. I've also seen lots of URMs underperform.

I think it's a little weird how we try to split it into URM/non-URM when there are literally dozens of factors. For example, veterans and legacy applicants get a boost but I never see anyone respond to a good cycle by asking, veteran? legacy? It would be strange to say, "good to see non-veterans do well." I think that the "URM=autoadmit" assumption is a little unfair and makes this an uncomfortable space for URM applicants.

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't mean to offend and I'm not trying to start a fight. Just my $0.02 :D
To preface, I'm a non-white non-URM. I don't think think anyone ever said URM=autoadmit, but it is pretty clear from this website, admissions reps, LSN, etc. that URMs get a significantly more noticeable boost than any other soft, including veterans or legacy. I mean, even just looking at LSN for Chicago this cycle, notatlien was the only non-URM admitted outside of the 'cluster.' There's one other but their username is a variation of 'chicano' so I'd assume they're URM. Coincidentally/anecdotally, there's another user with almost identical stats as 'chicano' who was a veteran and only got waitlisted.

Anyways, I'm not trying to discredit URM applicants at all because I'm sure many of them have different and/or unique life experiences, and it's not at all like they just get into a top school automatically. But at the same time, it would be foolish to see admitted URMs with similar numbers to me or just below medians in general and think that I would have the same chance too.

Solistus

Bronze

Post by Solistus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:57 pm

Update:

3.32 GPA, 176 LSAT, late applicant (2/1 for most schools)

In at: Northwestern, Texas ($), Minnesota($$$$), George Washington ($$), William & Mary ($$$), UC Davis

Waitlisted at: Vanderbilt, Washington, Georgetown, Virginia

Waiting to hear from: NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Penn, Michigan, Cornell, UCLA, USC

edit 3/15: WL at gtown, see new post below

edit 3/18: WL at UVA
Last edited by Solistus on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slowboat

New

Post by slowboat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Non-URM

UPenn: WL
UCLA, UCI: pending

T3chn0viking

New

Post by T3chn0viking » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 am

Non-URM
Apps Submitted in January

In:
W&M (30K)
WUSTL (30K)
Tulane (90K)
Minnesota (84K)
Cardozo (105K)
Indiana (60K)
Hastings
GW

Waitlisted:
Fordham
Colorado

Still waiting:
Georgetown
Davis
USF

Good luck fellow splitters : )

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 am

Solistus wrote:Update:

In at: Northwestern, Texas ($), Minnesota($$$$), George Washington ($$), William & Mary ($$$), UC Davis

Waitlisted at: Vanderbilt, Washington

Waiting to hear from: NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Penn, Virginia, Michigan, Georgetown, Cornell, UCLA, USC
You should reapply next cycle if you don't at least get MVP. Your LSAT is way higher than mine and our GPAs are basically the same and you should get MVP is what I'm saying. This makes no sense. Its too early.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lyra4

New

Post by lyra4 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm

I'm not sure that I'm a splitter, but I had a pretty darn low GPA, so I'll assume that I am. 3.08 GPA (computer science at top 5 liberal arts college) / 164. 10 years of software engineering work experience (Microsoft/Google/startups) with software patents.

GMU- admitted (instate GI Bill, so free)
W&M - admitted, fellowship (also instate GI Bill, so free)
University of Maryland - admitted
Fordham - admitted
Temple- admitted
University of Richmond - admitted, $$ that would cover the GI Bill gap
Seattle U - admitted
Lewis & Clark - admitted
American - admitted
University of Houston - admitted, $$$$
Seton Hall - admitted, $$$$
Washington & Lee- waitlist
UW - waitlist
Georgetown - waitlist

Still haven't heard back from:
University of Alabama, UVA, George Washington

Going to go to GMU because of the tech and law program and no cost of living expenses.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 pm

francesfarmer wrote:

Waiting to hear from: NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Penn, Virginia, Michigan, Georgetown, Cornell, UCLA, USC
You should reapply next cycle if you don't at least get MVP. Your LSAT is way higher than mine and our GPAs are basically the same and you should get MVP is what I'm saying. This makes no sense. Its too early.
Well he hasn't heard back from MVP yet, could still happen... I know your numbers are slightly off frances, but when you hit the top 10 GPA floors set in hardcore and there's a big difference between a 3.3 and a 3.5 (no offense to anyone).

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

Well he hasn't heard back from MVP yet, could still happen... I know your numbers are slightly off frances, but when you hit the top 10 GPA floors set in hardcore and there's a big difference between a 3.3 and a 3.5 (no offense to anyone).
You are correct but I don't have a 3.5

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:55 pm

francesfarmer wrote: You are correct but I don't have a 3.5
Fair enough, and I do fully understand why you aren't full disclosing/I'm sure you'll update when your cycle is done... but if you are significantly below 3.5, then since that is a rather critical tipping point I don't think your profile stats convey a very instructive expectation to others with similar considerations

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
francesfarmer wrote: You are correct but I don't have a 3.5
Fair enough, and I do fully understand why you aren't full disclosing/I'm sure you'll update when your cycle is done... but if you are significantly below 3.5, then since that is a rather critical tipping point I don't think your profile stats convey a very instructive expectation to others with similar considerations
I adjusted my LSAT down to make up for it. My actual stats are posted in this thread. Someone with a 171 and 3.5 would have a better cycle than me anyway.

Edit: and my real stats are on LSN which is where the real helpful data comes from anyway

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:47 pm

Regardless of whether you are at 3.5 or below MVP is a real crapshoot for a splitter. Striking out at all three is a common occurrence.

However, it sounds like the late app is really hurting him. He should be getting into Gtown and Cornell with ease.

badams91

New

Post by badams91 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:26 pm

3.3, 176

In: NYU, UCLA, UCI, LMU

Held: Columbia

WL: Penn, Georgetown, UVA

Reject: Berkley, Michigan

Pending: Stanford, chicago

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:36 pm

badams91 wrote:3.3, 176

Congrats on NYU!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

badams91

New

Post by badams91 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:31 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
badams91 wrote:3.3, 176

Congrats on NYU!!!
Thanks!! it came outta nowhere after 3 months of silence

Solistus

Bronze

Post by Solistus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:49 pm

Another update: "preferred waitlist" at Georgetown. I assume waitlist means not much chance at scholarship money, and I already have better offers on the table IMO than Gtown at sticker, so I'm probably gonna withdraw from the WL pool.

NU hasn't announced aid decisions yet, and since they don't start considering aid offers till March I wasn't a late applicant on the fin. aid front. I'm hopeful that they won't ask me to pay sticker. If they do, I'll probably try to leverage my UT offer to change their mind ($45k, and I'm in-state which knocks quite a bit off the COA)... If they still don't budge and I don't get into CCN/MVP, I'll have to think about waiting till next year and re-applying, but I've already got a couple years off since undergrad and I really don't want to delay another year.

I would strongly consider going to NU over MVP, depending on aid offers of course. I would much rather work in Illinois than in Michigan, Virginia, or Pennsylvania (I'd also like NY/DC/CA if possible, but it seems like being in a legal market I would be happy working in would be a pretty big plus). From what I've read, NU seems to outperform its USNews ranking in terms of job placement by a good margin. I also like the idea of a slightly older student body (nothing against you KJDs out there, but I took a couple years off after undergrad and it would be cool to have classmates with similar experiences).

Cornell is kind of a wild card. I'm really not sure how I feel about Cornell Law. I know some people at Cornell, and have some ties to the region from undergrad, but I would need to do a lot more research on their job placement stats in NY.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:22 am

Solistus wrote:Another update: "preferred waitlist" at Georgetown. I assume waitlist means not much chance at scholarship money, and I already have better offers on the table IMO than Gtown at sticker, so I'm probably gonna withdraw from the WL pool.

NU hasn't announced aid decisions yet, and since they don't start considering aid offers till March I wasn't a late applicant on the fin. aid front. I'm hopeful that they won't ask me to pay sticker. If they do, I'll probably try to leverage my UT offer to change their mind ($45k, and I'm in-state which knocks quite a bit off the COA)... If they still don't budge and I don't get into CCN/MVP, I'll have to think about waiting till next year and re-applying, but I've already got a couple years off since undergrad and I really don't want to delay another year.

I would strongly consider going to NU over MVP, depending on aid offers of course. I would much rather work in Illinois than in Michigan, Virginia, or Pennsylvania (I'd also like NY/DC/CA if possible, but it seems like being in a legal market I would be happy working in would be a pretty big plus). From what I've read, NU seems to outperform its USNews ranking in terms of job placement by a good margin. I also like the idea of a slightly older student body (nothing against you KJDs out there, but I took a couple years off after undergrad and it would be cool to have classmates with similar experiences).

Cornell is kind of a wild card. I'm really not sure how I feel about Cornell Law. I know some people at Cornell, and have some ties to the region from undergrad, but I would need to do a lot more research on their job placement stats in NY.
Hey, first good luck with all those schools! with that LSAT I'm sure you'll get some really good snags as schools try to fill out their LSAT median.

I'm not sure taking another year off would do much good if you're a few years out, since this cycle is supposed to be one of the best, and if your going to hit a GPA floor issue, that won't change. Also, Michigan, Virginia, and Penn are not regional schools -- they place into all major markets (take a look at nationwide placement stats). So its unlikely you would be practicing law in virginia if you went to UVA, or michigan if you went there; it doesn't really work like that in the top 10 range.

I think NU is a great choice too (I'm also waiting on their aid package) and probably worth it even at sticker since you will definitely get a biglaw job if you want one.

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:09 am

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:31 am

These next few weeks are ours! Seize the day splitters

BitterSplitter

Bronze

Post by BitterSplitter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:32 am

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:04 pm

BitterSplitter wrote:how are all the splitters doing with their cycles? hope it's going well..anyone have any front runners as far as offers go?
I'm getting killed.

sc-123

New

Post by sc-123 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 pm

KingFish wrote:
BitterSplitter wrote:how are all the splitters doing with their cycles? hope it's going well..anyone have any front runners as far as offers go?
I'm getting killed.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”