Brooklyn Law c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
butonemike

New

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2016

Post by butonemike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:29 am

ArizonaSecrets wrote:So I never heard back from Fordham or Brooklyn about negotiating my scholarship amount, but Dozo just mailed me a letter offering me another 9k a year. That means BrookLaw is only offering me $4,500 more per year. Don't really know what to do.
The two are not significantly different in ranking, and $13.5k over three years doesn't seem like a significant amount of money here. You now have the fun and widely sought after option of choosing a school based solely on its merits as an academic institution. An activity most of us have long forgotten, I'm sure. Enjoy!

ArizonaSecrets

New

Post by ArizonaSecrets » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 pm

butonemike wrote:
ArizonaSecrets wrote:So I never heard back from Fordham or Brooklyn about negotiating my scholarship amount, but Dozo just mailed me a letter offering me another 9k a year. That means BrookLaw is only offering me $4,500 more per year. Don't really know what to do.
The two are not significantly different in ranking, and $13.5k over three years doesn't seem like a significant amount of money here. You now have the fun and widely sought after option of choosing a school based solely on its merits as an academic institution. An activity most of us have long forgotten, I'm sure. Enjoy!

Haha! This comment is awesome. Thank you so much.

Just to keep everybody abreast of my situation, some email error kept my admission counselor's email from reaching me. I emailed them on the 30th and the response would've come on the 1st. I spoke with my counselor today and she forwarded me the email that basically was a we do not negotiate with terrorists. She said it would be possible that more money is freed up for certain admitted students who deposit after the class gets settled but as of now they aren't doing individual negotiations.

I spoke candidly about my situation to her and let her know that $ would be a determining factor. She told me to pick the school that fit best.

Question for anybody that is willing to throw their 2 cents in: Is submitting a deposit to both schools dumb? I also apologize, I didn't intend to hijack this thread.

baddabing27

New

Post by baddabing27 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:56 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Hate to be the guy that posts this, but BLS unfortunately made the list.

baddabing27

New

Post by baddabing27 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 pm

Question for anybody that is willing to throw their 2 cents in: Is submitting a deposit to both schools dumb? I also apologize, I didn't intend to hijack this thread.
Also curious about this. I know people mentioned last year that BLS threw money at them after the deposit deadline - I'm leaning toward Dozo, but if BLS came back with more I could be swayed the other way. Should I deposit at both or just hold out and see what BLS does?

Am I losing all leverage if I let one deposit slip past the deadline?

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 pm

baddabing27 wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2013/04/the-law- ... qus_thread

Hate to be the guy that posts this, but BLS unfortunately made the list.
Looking at the numbers it seems that they are referring to ANY form of employment, not just J.D. required positions.

I could be wrong, but in comparison to LST those numbers seem relatively low.

Those lists are never fun, especially when the school continuously fails to decline negotiations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edina2016

New

Post by edina2016 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey guys, anyone want to share their opinion or provide some advice...

I'm deciding between Brooklyn Law and American. The drop to #80 really threw me, I was set on going to Brooklyn Law. I'm still not sure how much I should let it influence my decision. Brooklyn's given me 25,000 in awards and the rest will be covered by loans but American has only given me 20,000 in stafford loans..and are notoriously stingy with fin. aid.

Any opinions? Anythings appreciated, thanks guys

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:48 pm

edina2016 wrote:Hey guys, anyone want to share their opinion or provide some advice...

I'm deciding between Brooklyn Law and American. The drop to #80 really threw me, I was set on going to Brooklyn Law. I'm still not sure how much I should let it influence my decision. Brooklyn's given me 25,000 in awards and the rest will be covered by loans but American has only given me 20,000 in stafford loans..and are notoriously stingy with fin. aid.

Any opinions? Anythings appreciated, thanks guys
I think making your own thread for this might garner more objective insight. but FWIW...American is never the answer.

ozzey23

New

Post by ozzey23 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Anyone still waiting on a decision? I applied in January but have not gotten any word yet...

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:14 pm

ozzey23 wrote:Anyone still waiting on a decision? I applied in January but have not gotten any word yet...
We're in the same boat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cdanesi

New

Post by Cdanesi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm still waiting as well. I heard back from 6 of the 10 schools I applied to but I also applied later than most due to my lovely undergrad holding my transcripts hostage. :evil:

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm

Paid my deposit today, I will be attending :mrgreen:

pwnyc127

New

Post by pwnyc127 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:14 am

ArizonaSecrets wrote:
butonemike wrote:
The two are not significantly different in ranking....
basically was a we do not negotiate with terrorists.
Stealing my shit bro, I need to copyright that line. 8)

Lilykins

New

Post by Lilykins » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Is anyone here interviewing for the Sparer Fellowship? Or do any current Fellows have any advice for the interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ms. B

New

Post by Ms. B » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:38 pm

Lilykins wrote:Is anyone here interviewing for the Sparer Fellowship? Or do any current Fellows have any advice for the interview?
Did you hear back from them already? I applied for it but haven't received any information about an interview... I was told they would start making calls 2 weeks after the deadline (April 1) but maybe I just didn't get picked... :?

Lilykins

New

Post by Lilykins » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Ms. B wrote:
Lilykins wrote:Is anyone here interviewing for the Sparer Fellowship? Or do any current Fellows have any advice for the interview?
Did you hear back from them already? I applied for it but haven't received any information about an interview... I was told they would start making calls 2 weeks after the deadline (April 1) but maybe I just didn't get picked... :?

I did hear back from them about 2 days ago, and it was not a blind cc, so I can see that they are interviewing 15 people. I did speak briefly with Elizabeth Kane at the Financial Aid 101, and she said that they reject almost everyone and not to expect to get picked. She encouraged us to reapply in October, as they take more people at that time (and she also said it helped your chances if you had applied before and been rejected). I was surprised to get an interview based on her comments, and I still don't really expect to get it. So, don't be too discouraged!

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:52 am

withdrew today w full scholly. good luck!

jack5on

New

Post by jack5on » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:56 am

Made a deposit here and Seton Hall...poor decision? Probably....don't make deposits after 3 martinis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:41 pm

jack5on wrote:Made a deposit here and Seton Hall...poor decision? Probably....don't make deposits after 3 martinis.
This is perfect hahaha

Ms. B

New

Post by Ms. B » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:10 pm

to all of you who are awaiting a potential increase in scholarship: did you end up depositing or letting the deadline pass? I decided to play hardball and let it pass since I'm leaning toward Cardozo anyway. I would definitely reconsider if they threw more money my way though....this whole negotiating process has kind of felt like playing hard-to-get

tcny98

New

Post by tcny98 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 pm

I decided to wait. I have other offers, though out of state, that are more appealing with my current scholarship offer.

pwnyc127

New

Post by pwnyc127 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:13 am

I double deposited here and somewhere else. Anyone have any insight on further negotiations? Send a letter or wait for LSAC to tell them about double deposit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArizonaSecrets

New

Post by ArizonaSecrets » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Ms. B wrote:to all of you who are awaiting a potential increase in scholarship: did you end up depositing or letting the deadline pass? I decided to play hardball and let it pass since I'm leaning toward Cardozo anyway. I would definitely reconsider if they threw more money my way though....this whole negotiating process has kind of felt like playing hard-to-get
I deposited at Dozo and let Brooklyn pass. Hoping for an increase from Brooklyn.

sergiokun16

Bronze

Post by sergiokun16 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:40 pm

For those who have deposited and submitted housing applications, do you know when we find out what housing we have received?

ultrasajid

Bronze

Post by ultrasajid » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am

When I visited, they told me they had a lottery after the May 1st housing deadline. Everybody who submits has an equal shot, with preference given to 1Ls.

Crease

New

Post by Crease » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Deposited with a 41k scholarship offer. Just got accepted to Fordham today. It's going to come down to how much merit Fordham offers. If Fordham makes a competitive offer, I'll make sure to withdraw quickly and to get the money back in the pot for you guys.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”