WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:36 pm

TheThriller wrote:a seat deposit is not a commitment to attend
If it actually says "I will attend Washington University School of Law" that is not a commitment to attend? Or you're just saying that it is not "binding?"

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Anybody know what the negotiation course is all about? 1L required course at wustl . Haven't seen anything like it at any other schools.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 pm

BigZuck wrote:
TheThriller wrote:a seat deposit is not a commitment to attend
If it actually says "I will attend Washington University School of Law" that is not a commitment to attend? Or you're just saying that it is not "binding?"
Well since they are offering a refund until May 1st I would go out on a limb and say no, it's not a "binding" commitment.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:12 am

lhanvt13 wrote:Anybody know what the negotiation course is all about? 1L required course at wustl . Haven't seen anything like it at any other schools.
It's a trick to make 1L's attend school the week before spring semester starts. They have the mandatory (attendance required) negotiation intercession class from 9-12, and then 'mandatory' career service events afterwards. Negotiations is how they trick 1L's into going to the 'mandatory' CSO events.

Spoilers: Those events are NOT mandatory (although the negotiations class is). If you are smart and skip all of the bullshit CSO stuff, Negotiations is a fun little free one credit class where you actually get to do some semi-enjoyable things, and learn the very basic rudiments of negotiations, and get a free credit.

Keep this in mind when it comes to 'mandatory' orientation events also. Putting a sign-in sheet at the entrance to an event doesn't mean there is any penalty, in any way, for skipping. There are very very few actual mandatory events that don't directly correlate with grades.

Being a bunch of future law students starting out their first week at law school, y'all will ignore me and go to all of the orientation events anyways. But you'll regret it. Go the first day and then only attend anything you find actually interesting during orientation week.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 am

I mean what's the downside in going to those honestly? You seem to imply it will hurt us to go to things like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:39 am

Randomnumbers wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:Anybody know what the negotiation course is all about? 1L required course at wustl . Haven't seen anything like it at any other schools.
It's a trick to make 1L's attend school the week before spring semester starts. They have the mandatory (attendance required) negotiation intercession class from 9-12, and then 'mandatory' career service events afterwards. Negotiations is how they trick 1L's into going to the 'mandatory' CSO events.

Spoilers: Those events are NOT mandatory (although the negotiations class is). If you are smart and skip all of the bullshit CSO stuff, Negotiations is a fun little free one credit class where you actually get to do some semi-enjoyable things, and learn the very basic rudiments of negotiations, and get a free credit.

Keep this in mind when it comes to 'mandatory' orientation events also. Putting a sign-in sheet at the entrance to an event doesn't mean there is any penalty, in any way, for skipping. There are very very few actual mandatory events that don't directly correlate with grades.

Being a bunch of future law students starting out their first week at law school, y'all will ignore me and go to all of the orientation events anyways. But you'll regret it. Go the first day and then only attend anything you find actually interesting during orientation week.
I'm so excited for law school, I'm probably going to actually want to go to that class. Sounds interesting. Just an occupational hazard of being a dork I guess.

CMHCLT

New

Post by CMHCLT » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 am

Withdrew last night and left some $$ on the table. Best of luck to everyone!

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:41 am

Randomnumbers wrote:

Thx for the info

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:19 am

Now that I've deposited I can draw out scholarship negotiations even longer. I don't know what I'll do this summer when I have no life changing emails to constantly refresh my inbox for.

Likely I'll try to enjoy life, but there will certainly be a void.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 am

AMilfordMan wrote:Now that I've deposited I can draw out scholarship negotiations even longer. I don't know what I'll do this summer when I have no life changing emails to constantly refresh my inbox for.

If we were capable of "enjoying life" like normal people then we wouldn't want to be lawyers in the first place :D

Also, my first thought when I read this was:
Moar marriages= Moar divorces= MOAR BILLABLES!

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... r_all.html

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Is it bad that I'm somewhat smiling thinking of MAC sitting at her computer constantly hitting refresh to see if another student has deposited. I imagine there's a top-law-deans forum right now where they're debating about when the wave of student will come.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Deposited at WUSTL and another school. Still hopeful for more scholly monies.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:57 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Is it bad that I'm somewhat smiling thinking of MAC sitting at her computer constantly hitting refresh to see if another student has deposited. I imagine there's a top-law-deans forum right now where they're debating about when the wave of student will come.
The Visa Icons turn grey when a student may have deposited. 4 hours later it gives a real response. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:59 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Is it bad that I'm somewhat smiling thinking of MAC sitting at her computer constantly hitting refresh to see if another student has deposited. I imagine there's a top-law-deans forum right now where they're debating about when the wave of student will come.
The Visa Icons turn grey when a student may have deposited. 4 hours later it gives a real response. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:22 pm

cusenation wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:Now that I've deposited I can draw out scholarship negotiations even longer. I don't know what I'll do this summer when I have no life changing emails to constantly refresh my inbox for.

If we were capable of "enjoying life" like normal people then we wouldn't want to be lawyers in the first place :D

Also, my first thought when I read this was:
Moar marriages= Moar divorces= MOAR BILLABLES!

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... r_all.html
Taxes and inheritance matters will be insanity if that happened. I really hope it doesn't.

historicrep

New

Post by historicrep » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:04 pm

Decided to withdraw today considering their stern stance on scholarship negotiations. Likely won't be able to afford to go directly to school, so I'll be retaking.

Best of luck to all of you who make up the Class of 2016.

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:02 pm

Withdrew. Good luck all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

StLNE

New

Post by StLNE » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

I'll delete this if there is better place to post this, but since the other thread is pretty quiet, I am hoping to get some input here. I currently have a place in St. Louis that is ~14mi (20 min) from campus. Rent is really cheap (less than $500/mo all inclusive), my roommates are all great people, and the drive would be pretty easy. I'm currently trying to decide if moving over the summer and the increased cost of transitioning to Clayton or the CWE would be worth it.

Any thoughts, pros/cons, etc would be appreciated.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:22 pm

StLNE wrote:I'll delete this if there is better place to post this, but since the other thread is pretty quiet, I am hoping to get some input here. I currently have a place in St. Louis that is ~14mi (20 min) from campus. Rent is really cheap (less than $500/mo all inclusive), my roommates are all great people, and the drive would be pretty easy. I'm currently trying to decide if moving over the summer and the increased cost of transitioning to Clayton or the CWE would be worth it.

MOVING PROS: closer to school; easier to make it out to bar reviews/social events; will feel like more of a transition to start anew; while your current roommates may be great, will they be loud/have guests over a lot during finals?

STAYING PROS: cheaper; you already like your roommates; might be nice to have some distance from the law school bubble

I think it's a personal decision/no clear right call, but if you value proximity, the extra cost could be worth it.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:34 pm

How do I withdraw?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:25 pm

TheThriller wrote:Deposited at WUSTL and another school. Still hopeful for more scholly monies.
Same here. WUSTL is great but without a lot more $$ I'll be withdrawing before May 1st.

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:17 pm

I had a big curveball thrown my way today. Anyone who considers themselves negotiation savvy, I would really appreciate a PM (I try to keep negotiation specifics hush-hush).

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 pm

StLNE wrote:I'll delete this if there is better place to post this, but since the other thread is pretty quiet, I am hoping to get some input here. I currently have a place in St. Louis that is ~14mi (20 min) from campus. Rent is really cheap (less than $500/mo all inclusive), my roommates are all great people, and the drive would be pretty easy. I'm currently trying to decide if moving over the summer and the increased cost of transitioning to Clayton or the CWE would be worth it.

Personally I wouldn't move. Proximity is nice for getting to things, but 20 min. isn't much of a drive, and I would guess that having a place that isn't law school centric will be great for your stress levels. (assuming your roommates aren't going to be loud, partiers etc.) As someone noted this is more about your personal preferences though, what works for me might not work for you.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:21 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:

MOVING PROS: closer to school; easier to make it out to bar reviews/social events; will feel like more of a transition to start anew; while your current roommates may be great, will they be loud/have guests over a lot during finals?

STAYING PROS: cheaper; you already like your roommates; might be nice to have some distance from the law school bubble

I think it's a personal decision/no clear right call, but if you value proximity, the extra cost could be worth it.
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”