UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mdenis1

Bronze

UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by Mdenis1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Hey everyone! Haven't found a thread so I thought I'd create one :)

TheThriller

Gold

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by TheThriller » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Got a fee waiver inviting me to apply to the class of 2009.

Applied for a dual degree, but unless they throw a full ride at me, one would be hard pressed to attend a provisionally accredited LS.

Nothing against Irvine though, they have a solid program in which I would enroll as a PhD candidate

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:18 pm

so how many people does Irvine even plan to take?? They haven't even released their 2015 class profile for some reason, I guess they are trying to game USnews again by not showing the collapsing median.

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 pm

TheThriller wrote:Got a fee waiver inviting me to apply to the class of 2009.

Applied for a dual degree, but unless they throw a full ride at me, one would be hard pressed to attend a provisionally accredited LS.

Nothing against Irvine though, they have a solid program in which I would enroll as a PhD candidate
Class of 2009? :) 2016?

Yeah I think nobody has to pay the application fees... only the LSAC 21$. I applied as well. About the provisional accreditation, is it such a big deal? What is the difference, in terms of repercussions on your post-law school activities? On their website it is written:

"Provisional accreditation means that graduating students can take the bar exam in any jurisdiction, including California, without taking a qualifying "baby bar" exam".

"A student at a provisionally approved law school and an individual who graduates while the school is provisionally approved are entitled to the same recognition given to students and graduates of fully approved law schools."

From what I understand... someone can sit the California bar exam or any other state bar exam without any problem?

(I'm not American so sorry if there is something obvious about the bar exams that I am missing)

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:57 am

Mdenis1 wrote:

Yeah I think nobody has to pay the application fees... only the LSAC 21$. I applied as well. About the provisional accreditation, is it such a big deal? What is the difference, in terms of repercussions on your post-law school activities? On their website it is written:

"Provisional accreditation means that graduating students can take the bar exam in any jurisdiction, including California, without taking a qualifying "baby bar" exam".

"A student at a provisionally approved law school and an individual who graduates while the school is provisionally approved are entitled to the same recognition given to students and graduates of fully approved law schools."

From what I understand... someone can sit the California bar exam or any other state bar exam without any problem?

(I'm not American so sorry if there is something obvious about the bar exams that I am missing)
I said 2009 because thats the email they sent word for word, maybe they should update they're fee waiver memo.

And it becomes a problem when one is trying to find meaningful legal employment. There isn't much of a UCI alumni base out there as they just graduated their first class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amigo

New

Post by amigo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:47 am

YO, BEFORE NE BODY ASKS IM A UCI LAW STUDENT. I TURNED DOWN DAVIS WIT 30K, HASTINGS wit 25k, NORDIE with 25k, UCLA with no $$$, and UCI is off the hizzzzooo. We get assigned lawyer mentors, student mentors, and are getting recognized all around. Our employment stats for the class 2012 are ridiculous. It will be up soon but it was above 85. Polled around our lsats are aaround 165/167/170 so you should all get yo shit together and apply. I'm dead serious look at my name Im your amigo. Just friendly advice.

User has been banned for alting.

Tthug

New

Post by Tthug » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:04 am

Yeah son, I took UCD's offer last year and I regret it. Our upper class men tell us that they are getting beaten out of the the job market by UCI Law students. It's ridiculous UCI is not supposed to be this good it just opened up. I'm thinking about transferring next semester davis really really sucks. It's cool for public interest, but other than that I don't see much of an opportunity.

User has been banned for alting.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Hi alts.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:48 pm

I really don't get where this negativity comes from. By all standards the school is making strides to beat out much of its competition in its respective market. It has a highly regarded faculty and from what has been disclosed pretty good employment statistics.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 pm

TheThriller wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:

I said 2009 because thats the email they sent word for word, maybe they should update they're fee waiver memo.

And it becomes a problem when one is trying to find meaningful legal employment. There isn't much of a UCI alumni base out there as they just graduated their first class.
Really? it's a bit weird their emails are not up to date! I don't think I've received an email from them I was just planning on applying and saw the fee was waived automatically... and yeah I admit it might be a problem in terms of alumni base, but strictly speaking of bar admissions, it seems ok?

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:53 pm

amigo wrote:YO, BEFORE NE BODY ASKS IM A UCI LAW STUDENT. I TURNED DOWN DAVIS WIT 30K, HASTINGS wit 25k, NORDIE with 25k, UCLA with no $$$, and UCI is off the hizzzzooo. We get assigned lawyer mentors, student mentors, and are getting recognized all around. Our employment stats for the class 2012 are ridiculous. It will be up soon but it was above 85. Polled around our lsats are aaround 165/167/170 so you should all get yo shit together and apply. I'm dead serious look at my name Im your amigo. Just friendly advice.
o_0

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Really? it's a bit weird their emails are not up to date! I don't think I've received an email from them I was just planning on applying and saw the fee was waived automatically... and yeah I admit it might be a problem in terms of alumni base, but strictly speaking of bar admissions, it seems ok?
Unfortunately bar passage rates do not correlate with legal employment. We may get a better picture of just how UCI performs in the coming years. I for one will only consider attending if my application for a joint JD/PhD program is accepted.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:01 am

TheThriller wrote:
Unfortunately bar passage rates do not correlate with legal employment. We may get a better picture of just how UCI performs in the coming years. I for one will only consider attending if my application for a joint JD/PhD program is accepted.
Although bar passage rates don't have a correlation with legal employment one can't deny that institutional prestige doesn't. The school maybe new but its faculty is pretty well respected. It's numerical indices reflect high caliber students then many of the schools in its area less the top two in SoCal. It just doesn't make sense to my why people tend to hate?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:29 am

tooswolle wrote:
TheThriller wrote:
Although bar passage rates don't have a correlation with legal employment one can't deny that institutional prestige doesn't. The school maybe new but its faculty is pretty well respected. It's numerical indices reflect high caliber students then many of the schools in its area less the top two in SoCal. It just doesn't make sense to my why people tend to hate?
I don't think people are hating on UCI, I just think that they hesitate to give it credit when we have no point of comparisons yet. Even when we do find out it's USNWR ranking (the best indicator of institutional prestige :lol: ) UCI will most likely be regarded as an ASU type situation.

I'm not dissing the school by any means, UCI as an institution is prestigious, UCI as a law school is untested.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:37 am

TheThriller wrote:UCI as an institution is prestigious
Meh. Not really. It's a solid school though.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:37 pm

TheThriller wrote:
tooswolle wrote:
TheThriller wrote:
I don't think people are hating on UCI, I just think that they hesitate to give it credit when we have no point of comparisons yet. Even when we do find out it's USNWR ranking (the best indicator of institutional prestige :lol: ) UCI will most likely be regarded as an ASU type situation.

I'm not dissing the school by any means, UCI as an institution is prestigious, UCI as a law school is untested.
Every school has a propaganda ministry but Irvine has gone way too far. For example someone above was claiming 165-167-170 scores. That's nonsense, UCI was admitting 155s and lower for the 2015 class and MANY OF THEM, which I suspect why they aren't releasing their 2015 profile( they know they go no shot making top 20 with their GPAs and LSATs). They were claiming they had job placements as good as stanford, harvard and yale which is absurd, they only had a small class of 40 people or so. That's where it comes from.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:49 pm

This isn't the forum for hating on, or white-knighting, a law school. Please don't post here unless you're applying.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7&t=146613

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wishfulthinker

New

Post by Wishfulthinker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Every school has a propaganda ministry but Irvine has gone way too far. For example someone above was claiming 165-167-170 scores. That's nonsense, UCI was admitting 155s and lower for the 2015 class and MANY OF THEM, which I suspect why they aren't releasing their 2015 profile( they know they go no shot making top 20 with their GPAs and LSATs). They were claiming they had job placements as good as stanford, harvard and yale which is absurd, they only had a small class of 40 people or so. That's where it comes from.

Is UCI really accepting people with 155s and lower or were those just URMs? I saw a few people on here with 3.7/ 161+ never getting off the waitlist last cycle.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Wishfulthinker wrote:

Is UCI really accepting people with 155s and lower or were those just URMs? I saw a few people on here with 3.7/ 161+ never getting off the waitlist last cycle.
I applied last year and got in, but deferred as I needed to mull my decision over. The other poster's rant was merely hyperbole. Many people don't like the school arguing that So Cal didn't need another school amidst the current economic climate. The being said I'm glad I applied got in and deferred. Best of luck to those applying.

aarias11

New

Post by aarias11 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:18 pm

zman wrote:

This is for you sweetheart ;)
http://www.law.uci.edu/prospective/cons ... #admission

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:05 pm

aarias11 wrote:
zman wrote:

This is for you sweetheart ;)
http://www.law.uci.edu/prospective/cons ... #admission
I have seen that and it kind of proves my point and still no 2015 profile.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:31 pm

It's up now, so please take a look.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:37 pm

lawgeekgrl wrote:It's up now, so please take a look.
That's not top 20 material and there is no median.

lawgeekgrl

Bronze

Post by lawgeekgrl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:30 pm

Then don't worry about it. Cross it off your list and go to Harvard.

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Bigger class size for c/o 2016 + no blanket scholarships = numbers are going to drop. At best, Irvine will probably be = Davis/Hastings

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”