Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Applications are now being accepted.

ONLINE APPLICATION
Propective Student page


Class of 2015 Profile:
Median GPA: 3.8
Median LSAT: 167
36 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico
7 foreign countries
120+ undergraduate institutions
32% Minnesota residents
68% nonresidents

http://www.law.umn.edu/prospective/profile.html

LSN:
2016
2015
2014
2013

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! HOPE TO SEE YOU IN THE FALL!!!!
Last edited by Nova on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Good luck all!

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TheThriller » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:51 pm

:D

User avatar
MarkKnows87
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby MarkKnows87 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:37 pm

:D Checking in...Good luck to everyone...

User avatar
geary86
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby geary86 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:46 pm

:D Checking in! Good luck :!:

masked kavana
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby masked kavana » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Already under review crazy!!

tylerdurden8
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby tylerdurden8 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:55 pm

http://www.usnews.com/education/article ... law-school

This link should be helpful for those of you still working on applications.

nkime
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:49 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nkime » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:12 am

Planning to submit the app in 1-2 days..
Minnesota is one of my top choices! :wink:

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:34 pm

This just started,

But UMN 1L's taking questions:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=194431&p=5910287#p5910287

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:42 pm

tylerdurden8 wrote:http://www.usnews.com/education/articles/2010/04/15/how-to-get-in-university-of-minnesota-law-school

This link should be helpful for those of you still working on applications.

No offense, but the truth is... be above 1 of their medians (without being way off on the other)

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:29 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:be above 1 of their medians (without being way off on the other)


This. UMN is like UVA, get above one median and you're likely to get in. Be above one median and above 25% for the other, and you have an awesome shot.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TheThriller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Currently "In Review" :D

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Ramius » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Sent in today. Good luck to all!

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby michaelm55 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:48 pm

I applied the day it was first avaliable. I wish everyone else luck.... and scholarship! Brrrrrr .... I think Minnesota gets cold.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Nova » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 pm

minnbills wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:be above 1 of their medians (without being way off on the other)


This. UMN is like UVA, get above one median and you're likely to get in. Be above one median and above 25% for the other, and you have an awesome shot.

+1

michaelm55 wrote:I applied the day it was first avaliable. I wish everyone else luck.... and scholarship! Brrrrrr .... I think Minnesota gets cold.

September was amazing, and its 68 outside right now 8)

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TheThriller » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:33 pm

what is the general consensus on if your status checker has seat-deposit deadlines listed while it is under review? None of my other status checkers have this.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:23 pm

TheThriller wrote:what is the general consensus on if your status checker has seat-deposit deadlines listed while it is under review? None of my other status checkers have this.

I don't think it means anything

tylerdurden8
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby tylerdurden8 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:32 pm

I didn't know everyone here worked for UMN admissions...

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:57 pm

tylerdurden8 wrote:I didn't know everyone here worked for UMN admissions...


A bunch of us are current students, 1Ls to boot, none of us work for admissions.

tylerdurden8
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby tylerdurden8 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:43 pm

minnbills wrote:
tylerdurden8 wrote:I didn't know everyone here worked for UMN admissions...


A bunch of us are current students, 1Ls to boot, none of us work for admissions.


Nice. How are you finding it?

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:56 pm

tylerdurden8 wrote:
minnbills wrote:
tylerdurden8 wrote:I didn't know everyone here worked for UMN admissions...


A bunch of us are current students, 1Ls to boot, none of us work for admissions.


Nice. How are you finding it?


I like it a lot. I actually can't think of any complaints, although the stress regarding grades and jobs is mounting. But that will be the case at almost any school.

If any of you have questions about the school feel free to ask. There is also a thread in the ask a law student forum devoted to UMN.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 pm

tylerdurden8 wrote:I didn't know everyone here worked for UMN admissions...

I highly doubt UMN admissions would say such things as "all that matters is getting about 1 median." lol

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:20 pm

minnbills wrote:
tylerdurden8 wrote:
minnbills wrote:
tylerdurden8 wrote:I didn't know everyone here worked for UMN admissions...


A bunch of us are current students, 1Ls to boot, none of us work for admissions.


Nice. How are you finding it?


I like it a lot. I actually can't think of any complaints, although the stress regarding grades and jobs is mounting. But that will be the case at almost any school.

If any of you have questions about the school feel free to ask. There is also a thread in the ask a law student forum devoted to UMN.

+ 1. I really think it'd be kind of cool to see this thread evolve.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=194431

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby michaelm55 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:56 pm

I am very excited for this cycle and hope to gain admission, but I would encourage all my fellow TLS gurus to check out the law school transparency employment statistics for this fantastic school. It would appear that for a number of reasons, the employment stats are not up to par with some of UMN's peer schools. Of course, it could appear this way for a number of reasons (including employment stat boosting by competing schools), but it is worth checking out none-the-less. Most of you probably already have, and again... good luck! :P

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Minnesota c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby minnbills » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:05 pm

michaelm55 wrote:I am very excited for this cycle and hope to gain admission, but I would encourage all my fellow TLS gurus to check out the law school transparency employment statistics for this fantastic school. It would appear that for a number of reasons, the employment stats are not up to par with some of UMN's peer schools. Of course, it could appear this way for a number of reasons (including employment stat boosting by competing schools), but it is worth checking out none-the-less. Most of you probably already have, and again... good luck! :P


I'll add to this by saying that the career services people at the U are very accessible to prospective students. If you shoot them an email they'll get back to you. I had a bunch of questions for Alan Haynes, the director, and he was very open with me.

People should also realize that MN doesn't have much of a biglaw market, and Chicago is super-saturated right now, so if you're biglaw or bust you should really be looking at schools that feed primarily into NY or higher-ranked schools.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., Baby Gaga, cyclawps, texteach, TudoBem and 11 guests