BC 2012-2013 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nkime

New

Re: BC 2012-2013 Applicants

Post by nkime » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am

pcjudge wrote:Has anyone had luck negotiating scholarships?
I sent the negotiating email 10 days ago, but there's no response. :(

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 am

nkime wrote:
I sent an email 13 days ago. I got a response that they will take the information into consideration and "hope to follow up with a response in the near future", which doesn't give me a lot of hope for hearing back soon. However, my numbers suck and they already offered me as much as I was hoping they would so I'm not expecting much.

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:39 am

rufus&miles wrote:
nkime wrote:
I sent an email 13 days ago. I got a response that they will take the information into consideration and "hope to follow up with a response in the near future", which doesn't give me a lot of hope for hearing back soon. However, my numbers suck and they already offered me as much as I was hoping they would so I'm not expecting much.
I got a similar "we will send this along to financial aid for consideration" response to mine after 2 days. If you've heard nothing, you might call for a follow up.

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 am

BC was in my top 2 when I applied back in early January. I am extremely turned off by how long it is taking for me to receive a decision.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 am

BC was in my top 2 when I applied back in early January. I am extremely turned off by how long it is taking for me to receive a decision.
Agreed. Was accepted by e-mail this morning (not snail mail), but will be withdrawing shortly. (Not even gonna wait for financial aid offer, since I've become attached to other schools by this time.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Bigdog:

Congrats, and I feel the same way as you. When did your file go under review prior to hearing today? Asking because I finally went under review on Monday.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 am

sorry, nba, not exactly sure. I gave up on BC and stopped checking my status checker awhile ago.

I submitted in early Jan, a few days after the December scores were released. If I recall, I first went UR approx. 4-5 weeks later so that would be mid-Feb. I haven't paid attention to any other updates.

boomlawyered

New

Post by boomlawyered » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25 am

for those of you still waiting to hear about scholarship offers, i called last night to get a timeline of when the rest of us would find out. they weren't that helpful, but are encouraging everyone to send in offers that they have already received so they can take that into consideration. hopefully we'll start hearing soon!

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:26 am

Lets go BC you are the only one I am waiting on...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:33 am

The fact that some of you are making turnaround time a significant factor in your law school decision baffles me. Either you like the employment prospects, location, reputation, and maybe the campus, or you don't. Seems like regarding turnaround time as a serious factor in deciding which school to go is a little shortsighted in the grand scheme of things.

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:39 am

skri65 wrote:The fact that some of you are making turnaround time a significant factor in your law school decision baffles me. Either you like the employment prospects, location, reputation, and maybe the campus, or you don't. Seems like regarding turnaround time as a serious factor in deciding which school to go is a little shortsighted in the grand scheme of things.
Not insofar as it reflects on the level and quality of interaction between Administration and students; if an Admissions office is in a mild state of disarray (not necessarily saying BC's is) and cannot respond to emails and phone requests promptly and professionally, it makes me question what the Career Services office's outlook is like. I think that's a somewhat fair line to draw, though obviously it shouldn't be a deciding factor.

ls23

New

Post by ls23 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:08 pm

nba101790 wrote:
skri65 wrote:The fact that some of you are making turnaround time a significant factor in your law school decision baffles me. Either you like the employment prospects, location, reputation, and maybe the campus, or you don't. Seems like regarding turnaround time as a serious factor in deciding which school to go is a little shortsighted in the grand scheme of things.
Not insofar as it reflects on the level and quality of interaction between Administration and students; if an Admissions office is in a mild state of disarray (not necessarily saying BC's is) and cannot respond to emails and phone requests promptly and professionally, it makes me question what the Career Services office's outlook is like. I think that's a somewhat fair line to draw, though obviously it shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Agreed. Also as the deposit deadlines are approaching it really limits the time you have to negotiate scholarships, plan a visit and decide between schools.

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 pm

At least they're sending out decisions. I have a friend that was accepted today. Now if only they'd accept me too....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:24 pm

+4

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 pm

nba101790 wrote:
The career service office and the admissions office are relatively independent. Either way, from what I've read, a schools reputation in the location you want to work and your ability to hustle and network on your own are levels of magnitude more important than the speed in which the career services office responds to emails.

I know it sucks to wait and it hurts your ability to negotiate, but the poor turnaround time really should have little baring on whether it is a good or bad decision to attend a school.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Either you like the employment prospects, location, reputation, and maybe the campus, or you don't.
That's a strawman argument. It is not either/or.

One can easily like the "employment prospects, location, reputation and...campus" of more than one LS; they all have good and not-so-good aspects. More importantly, BC can easily lose out to a school with greater prospects and greater reputation that has already shown a lotta love to its acceptees, which includes showering an applicant with money. Once accepted, it becomes a buyer's market. IFF BC wants to play the game -- and they probably don't care -- they need to be competitive across the board, and that means in their admissions process as well. Otherwise, the other Catholic and Jesuit schools -- think DC! -- will snatch the applicant first.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Either you like the employment prospects, location, reputation, and maybe the campus, or you don't.

One can easily like the "employment prospects, location, reputation and...campus" of more than one LS; they all have good and not-so-good aspects. More importantly, BC can easily lose out to a school with greater prospects and greater reputation that has already shown a lotta love to its acceptees, which includes showering an applicant with money. Once accepted, it becomes a buyer's market. IFF BC wants to play the game -- and they probably don't care -- they need to be competitive across the board, and that means in their admissions process as well. Otherwise, the other Catholic and Jesuit schools -- think DC! -- will snatch the applicant first.
The above definitely rings true when speaking of peer schools. While employment prospects and cost of attendance are always at the top of the list - if the previous are equal, a personal/friendly welcoming can easily sway an applicant.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:02 pm

After much thought I think BC warrants sticker. ESPECIALLY if you're like me and you can live frugally and plan to work over the summers to cut into that law school debt. If I attend I plan to take out $150k and that's it. Hopefully with the right kind of summer job that can be sub $100k by graduation.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:04 pm

DaRascal wrote:After much thought I think BC warrants sticker. ESPECIALLY if you're like me and you can live frugally and plan to work over the summers to cut into that law school debt. If I attend I plan to take out $150k and that's it. Hopefully with the right kind of summer job that can be sub $100k by graduation.
that's one risky bet you're taking buddy but if you're willing to do take the risk by all means I respect your steel balls

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:10 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
DaRascal wrote:After much thought I think BC warrants sticker. ESPECIALLY if you're like me and you can live frugally and plan to work over the summers to cut into that law school debt. If I attend I plan to take out $150k and that's it. Hopefully with the right kind of summer job that can be sub $100k by graduation.
that's one risky bet you're taking buddy but if you're willing to do take the risk by all means I respect your steel balls

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:13 pm

If you take out 150K, i see NO WAY you get that under 100K by graduation...Interest man...Interest

Edit: If you somehow make a lot of money your summers, which I dont see how that will be possible, and you take out 150K, you MIGHT be lucky enough to graduate with 150K, although I don't see how it'll be possible

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tremendous

New

Post by Tremendous » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Not worth sticker, but ultimately if you want to pay it, cool.

Also, BC was very prompt with my negotiation. Only took them 2 days to get me a revised offer.

skri65

Bronze

Post by skri65 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:38 pm

Big Dog wrote:

Georgetown and BC are only competitive for people who don't know where they want to work. My assumption is that you know where you want to work. If you want to work in Boston, then go to BC or BU (or an eastcoast T6 if you are able to). Turnaround time should have no affect on this. Turnaround time may have an affect if you're choosing between BC and BU, but again I imagine individuals programs and campus style should be more important here anyway. If you don't care about either of those, then yes, I imagine turnaround time could sway you one way or another (still stupid, in my mind).

If my assumption is wrong and you don't know where you want to work, then you are probably making a poor decision wanting to go to BC because chances are, you will be launching your career here...it's probably a good idea to make sure you like where you will be.

I'm not going to go on and on here, I understand your point and you all are free to think however you want. I just think that location is so much more paramount a consideration. Chances are you don't like all locations equally.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Chances are you don't like all locations equally.
Of course. Boston is a wonderful place to live, but so are several others. Some/many will focus solely on one city, which by definition narrows their choices. Me, I'm open to several locales, including Boston. And due to BC's relatively poor performance, that locale has dropped much lower on the choice scale.
I just think that location is so much more paramount a consideration.
Perhaps it is to you. (And nothing wrong with that.) But why are you arguing with folks for whom location is not paramount?

25thPercentileGuy

New

Post by 25thPercentileGuy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 pm

Went under second review today 3/27 via status checker. Not sure what this means....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”