Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NoodleyOne

Gold

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 pm

teiswei wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
oaken wrote:
maxmartin wrote:Do u guys wear suits if interview is conducted in a coffee shop?
Mine was at a coffeshop, I wore a suit. Why wouldn't you wear a suit?
Point of interest: I had never owned a suit until after I was admitted. It might not have occurred to me that a suit was advisable for a school interview. Fortunately for me, I didn't interview. :P
PSA: Every man here should own at least one good suit (if just one make it flat black and no pinstripes). The suit does not need to be expensive nor does it need to fit perfectly when you buy it. You can get cheap clearance suits at Macy's and Men's Wearhouse even has good deals with the bogo. Then you need to find a good tailor (yelp one) and have them make the cheap suit fit you perfectly so it looks like a thousand dollar suit.

All in you can get away with spending $200-$300 and come away with a tie and pocket squares. I cannot stress how important this is to your adult lives. Not only will you be prepared (aesthetically) for any event, you can look like a BA when people least expect it.
Lol at black suit. What are you going to a funeral? Navy or charcoal are tcr here.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Lol at black suit. What are you going to a funeral? Navy or charcoal are tcr here.
Gray is boring and pretty one dimensional unless its a light gray. You can wear virtually any color or pattern shirt with black. Navy is fine for the office but not an interview. Black says your mean business. You can soften it up by wearing a purple shirt... Which I did for my interview :D

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:52 pm

teiswei wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Lol at black suit. What are you going to a funeral? Navy or charcoal are tcr here.
Gray is boring and pretty one dimensional unless its a light gray. You can wear virtually any color or pattern shirt with black. Navy is fine for the office but not an interview. Black says your mean business. You can soften it up by wearing a purple shirt... Which I did for my interview :D
:shock: :shock: What is this I don't even...

So, if you're a guy, this is... interesting advice.
Ladies, black suits are ok.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
teiswei wrote:

"I would have highly recommended this student for admission if only she hadn't dressed as if she were attending a funeral."

Fitz51

Bronze

Post by Fitz51 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54 pm

teiswei wrote:
You can soften it up by wearing a purple shirt... Which I did for my interview :D
My only interview regret was not wearing my purple shirt/tie combo. Thought it'd be too much considering how NU-loving my app was. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
teiswei wrote:

"I would have highly recommended this student for admission if only she hadn't dressed as if she were attending a funeral."
:D :D :D

finals, y'all. everything seems dire. (but seriously guys, get a grey or navy suit :) )

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:12 pm

I wore a black suit. I think it was fine. I feel a lot better in pants suits than skirt suits for interviews.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:14 pm

franklyscarlet wrote: :shock: :shock: What is this I don't even...

What Scarlett said.

And ladies, be careful with navy. It can be done (I have a navy suit), but it's reeeeally easy to look like a flight attendant, especially with a white shirt. Darker navy is better than anything remotely close to a royal blue.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:21 pm

Interview on Friday. I wonder if it's worth it though. URM but 3.61/161 with no work experience doesn't feel too good. Does NU give a lot of deferred acceptances out? I'm thinking I should cancel this. Will be spending a lot of cash out of pocket. (Travel costs, suit)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:30 pm

DaRascal wrote:Interview on Friday. I wonder if it's worth it though. URM but 3.61/161 with no work experience doesn't feel too good. Does NU give a lot of deferred acceptances out? I'm thinking I should cancel this. Will be spending a lot of cash out of pocket. (Travel costs, suit)
The deferred acceptances at NU that I've heard of are either the student requesting to defer a year for whatever reason (I did), or the school offering a K-JD with excellent numbers a year deferral+scholarship $ to get some WE. I don't know if they're doing the latter much anymore with the new dean apparently being not quite so obsessive about WE.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
DaRascal wrote:Interview on Friday. I wonder if it's worth it though. URM but 3.61/161 with no work experience doesn't feel too good. Does NU give a lot of deferred acceptances out? I'm thinking I should cancel this. Will be spending a lot of cash out of pocket. (Travel costs, suit)
The deferred acceptances at NU that I've heard of are either the student requesting to defer a year for whatever reason (I did), or the school offering a K-JD with excellent numbers a year deferral+scholarship $ to get some WE. I don't know if they're doing the latter much anymore with the new dean apparently being not quite so obsessive about WE.
Hmm. Cancelling. Don't think I had a shot anyway.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 pm

You are taking advice from a guy named, "Leo Doom Occulta" to challenge the guy who has worked in a professional environment a third of his life? No. Never navy. I'll give you charcoal but a black suit can be worn at a much higher level. If you are dressing to look like everyone else, wear that charcoal suit with the white shirt. I'd rather look good and make a lasting impression.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:41 pm

DaRascal wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
You probably don't want to hear this, but you should really retake. As a URM, that GPA is fine and you're selling yourself short of some really excellent schools (better than NU).

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
DaRascal wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
You probably don't want to hear this, but you should really retake. As a URM, that GPA is fine and you're selling yourself short of some really excellent schools (better than NU).
I want nothing more than to retake in June and apply next cycle at this point. Only problem is that my GPA is liable to dip to the low 3.5 range (last year of UG), maybe even high 3.4 range. And my PT average was only 165 over more than twenty PTs. I think I'm screwed. :evil:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm

teiswei wrote:
You are taking advice from a guy named, "Leo Doom Occulta" to challenge the guy who has worked in a professional environment a third of his life? No. Never navy. I'll give you charcoal but a black suit can be worn at a much higher level. If you are dressing to look like everyone else, wear that charcoal suit with the white shirt. I'd rather look good and make a lasting impression.
All right, how about the style advice guy at GQ?
Wearing a black suit
How many times should one wear a black suit in a week? Should you wear a black suit just once during a workweek?

If I wore a suit to work every day, I would probably wear a black suit to work on days when I was also attending a funeral. This is a matter of taste. There are many people, even nonclergy, who wear black regularly or even exclusively. In the late ’80s and early ’90s, there was a sort of black fashion cult. The Japanese may have had something to do with it, but I think they look particularly good in black. I don’t favor daytime black, because I don’t want to be addressed as Father except by my kids. I do, however, think it’s most appropriate for evening, with a white shirt or even a black shirt. I think dark gray is the daytime black.
Or Esquire:
The Four Essential Suits from Esquire
When a guy starts to build his collection of suits, he should be wary of the many pitfalls along the way. Buying a black suit or a thick chalk stripe as your first or second suits aren’t necessarily mistakes, but they are choices that could paint you into a corner when it comes to certain functions.

For example: Your one suit is black. Tough to pull that off at a beautiful outdoor late summer wedding.
1. A Navy Blue Suit - They call it the staple. And it really is. Remember that late summer wedding? It’ll work much better than a black suit for that occasion. It’s more classic. You can wear black or dark brown shoes with it. And it looks great in any light.

2. A Light Gray suit – Esquire calls it “The Spare.” Most of us have purchased a dark gray charcol suit. Light gray stands out, in a good way, during all four seasons.

3. The Pinstripe - Chalk stripe is a REALLY thick pinstripe. Pinstripe is… not much thicker than a pin. Stick with the pinstripe to look less like a mobster. Especially if you are a mobster.

4. The Bolder Pattern - A word of advice. You should get all of your suits tailored. Never wear something straight off the rack. Especially with bolder checks. You need to bring this thing in or you’re going to risk looking like the Posters Expert from Antiques Road Show. Esquire picked a $1500 suit from David Chu. Go with something less expensive, and a lot less loud…

Those four suits should set you up for any situation, any scenario, at any time of the year.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:52 pm

My 2c on NU (ready for the pitch?):

NU is a FANTASTIC school, beyond the obvious 'T14 = good school' schtick. Let me list a few reasons why our school is awesome.

When I missed class for a family issue, someone sent me all the notes after class was over without me asking. Another person called me to make sure everything was okay.
When my Contracts professor had to cancel and reschedule an extra class, he bought us all pizza and soda. Also, he brought in cookies on the last day of school and candy on Halloween. He asks if it's okay to talk to us about a case before he cold calls.
My Torts professor dressed up as Quail Man for Halloween and has gone out drinking with the entire class twice now.
My Civ Pro professor brought her toddler in dressed as a baby cow for Halloween, brought us doughnut holes one day, and brought us cupcakes on the last day of school.
My Crim professor sends handwritten notes to students who make insightful comments in class.
I bought my Civ Pro book off of a 2L for $40. I showed up to give him the money and he gave me a NEW Civ Pro E&E for free. Then, 2 weeks later he emailed me and sent me his outline from the class because he'd done well and figured he should pass it on.
Every single 2L and most 3Ls I know have sent me outlines from their classes.
Some of the 2Ls I know have personally contacted me offering to look over my PT answers and make sure they're well written.
My small group of friends consist of some of the most silly, fun, upbeat, supportive, intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing in my life.

There's so much more but I think this is a pretty good list. I've heard horror stories about law school from friends I have in other T14s (racist professors, rude/dickish cold calls, socially awkward classmates, being miserable) but I can genuinely say as stressful as finals are, I am HAPPY to be in law school right now. I feel incredibly lucky that I ended up here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 am

I won't quote that entire thing but both of the excerpts you have quoted are talking about daytime suits or wedding suits. And to undermine the esquire one, just watch any mobster flick and notice how everyone wears pinstripes and really that's the only people that should wear pinstripes. Suit yourself (no pun intended), follow these and you won't get negative marks, you just won't stand out. If your thinking is narrow enough to believe black suits should be exclusively at funerals, then this argument is pointless. Hell, it's pointless anyways.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:10 am

There is a whole thread dedicated to men's suit and fashion:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=173475

ETA: No, you won't stand out if you follow the rules. That's because your suit SHOULD NOT STAND OUT. Never in an interview should your suit cross your interviewer's mind. You are there to present yourself as a person, not a fashion icon. This is the legal community, and in many ways it is very traditional (down to Career Services telling women to wear hose or not to wear flashy jewelry or heels that are too high). It is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS better to err on the side of caution. The last thing you want is to get the one interviewer who cares if you wear a black suit or not, and have it matter.

With that said, that is more important for OCI than for admissions. No one is going to judge you during admissions for wearing a black suit if it's the only one you have.
Last edited by crumpetsandtea on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:13 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:My 2c on NU (ready for the pitch?):

NU is a FANTASTIC school, beyond the obvious 'T14 = good school' schtick. Let me list a few reasons why our school is awesome.

When I missed class for a family issue, someone sent me all the notes after class was over without me asking. Another person called me to make sure everything was okay.
When my Contracts professor had to cancel and reschedule an extra class, he bought us all pizza and soda. Also, he brought in cookies on the last day of school and candy on Halloween. He asks if it's okay to talk to us about a case before he cold calls.
My Torts professor dressed up as Quail Man for Halloween and has gone out drinking with the entire class twice now.
My Civ Pro professor brought her toddler in dressed as a baby cow for Halloween, brought us doughnut holes one day, and brought us cupcakes on the last day of school.
My Crim professor sends handwritten notes to students who make insightful comments in class.
I bought my Civ Pro book off of a 2L for $40. I showed up to give him the money and he gave me a NEW Civ Pro E&E for free. Then, 2 weeks later he emailed me and sent me his outline from the class because he'd done well and figured he should pass it on.
Every single 2L and most 3Ls I know have sent me outlines from their classes.
Some of the 2Ls I know have personally contacted me offering to look over my PT answers and make sure they're well written.
My small group of friends consist of some of the most silly, fun, upbeat, supportive, intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing in my life.

There's so much more but I think this is a pretty good list. I've heard horror stories about law school from friends I have in other T14s (racist professors, rude/dickish cold calls, socially awkward classmates, being miserable) but I can genuinely say as stressful as finals are, I am HAPPY to be in law school right now. I feel incredibly lucky that I ended up here.
and this is why i basically mentioned crumps in my interview. when they asked my why NU among other things i coyly said they have some wonderful online ambassadors. :D

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:13 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:There is a whole thread dedicated to men's suit and fashion:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=173475
I'm thinking purple suit, purple hair, purple gloves, purple shades. Could separate you from other interviewees. :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 am

App finally went complete today, 168 3.55 getting master's degree and interning with Democratic Party. I think NU is a reach, but the school seems amazing and I love Chicago. Good luck everyone!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:21 am

tonton wrote:Am I the only that winces every time I read "chick"? I know its not necessarily derogatory, but still..
I hate calling myself a "woman," (except for in a professional context or whatever) and I'm way too old to be a "girl." I'm a hockey chick and a snowboarder chick. If you knew me, it would make more sense.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:43 am

timeandspace11 wrote:App finally went complete today, 168 3.55 getting master's degree and interning with Democratic Party. I think NU is a reach, but the school seems amazing and I love Chicago. Good luck everyone!
Rooting for you, numbers twin! And all if you :) everything crumps said is absolutely true. The people here are amazing. My favorite thing about NU is my classmates.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:51 am

franklyscarlet wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:App finally went complete today, 168 3.55 getting master's degree and interning with Democratic Party. I think NU is a reach, but the school seems amazing and I love Chicago. Good luck everyone!
Rooting for you, numbers twin! And all if you :) everything crumps said is absolutely true. The people here are amazing. My favorite thing about NU is my classmates.
Thank you!! Good to hear that a numbers twin wass accepted and likes it so much. I really hope I get in

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”