Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
postard

Bronze

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Post by postard » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:45 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Thank you for sharing your complete date.

Unfortunately, historically (LinkRemoved) WL's haven't come out until much later in the cycle. There's always the chance that that could have changed... but I wouldn't hope too much. I'm sorry :( But, hey, it's Stanford. You could have an amazing application and still be rejected, so it doesn't really say anything about you. Though I know that doesn't make it any better...
I wavered about applying in the first place, so I'm not too bothered.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Rory19 wrote:It's official, my DLS Wednesday was a ding. Shortest rejection letter I've ever seen (granted this is only my third).

Ah well. I went under review on 10/16 so Whitey Cakes and all the Octobers still standing, I think this is a WL or better indication for you.

Best of luck everyone!!
Sorry man...here's hoping the rest of us have something to be excited for

rachelzane

New

Post by rachelzane » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:08 am

I feel like Stanford is playing a high-stakes game of Russian Roulette, 13 Tzameti style. In the end, there's only going to be one man standing, but taking bets on what round everyone is going to get knocked out.

I'm not taking this process well. I'm auto-reject, just ding me already!!

hellohi

New

Post by hellohi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:26 am

So what was the verdict on the best way to send a LOCI? Just email to admissions@law.stanford.edu?

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Dead thread alert.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rachelzane

New

Post by rachelzane » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:58 pm

lsacqueen wrote:Dead thread alert.
Only because Stanford insists on moving at a glacial place. We can't handle two more months of constant anxiety.

But really, if Stanford calls any of you in August would you decline on principle? I would for UT no hesistation, but that's a different league.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:43 am

rachelzane wrote:
lsacqueen wrote:Dead thread alert.
Only because Stanford insists on moving at a glacial place. We can't handle two more months of constant anxiety.

But really, if Stanford calls any of you in August would you decline on principle? I would for UT no hesistation, but that's a different league.
Not sure I would... but anything for reviving this thread!

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:45 am

am i insane for thinking about sitting out this cycle and trying to retake a 174? i think i am. is the shot at HS worth it by sitting out (yet another) year? just toying around with ideas in general but i'm debt averse and S pretty much guarantees a jerb. they're such a black box though...

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:57 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:am i insane for thinking about sitting out this cycle and trying to retake a 174? i think i am. is the shot at HS worth it by sitting out (yet another) year? just toying around with ideas in general but i'm debt averse and S pretty much guarantees a jerb. they're such a black box though...
Hmm... with that GPA I'd be thinking that it is a question of softs once you have hit the 174 mark. I doubt more LSAT points are going to make your app that much more appealing to them. To be honest, a 178 doesn't say THAT much more than a 174 IMO

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:04 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:am i insane for thinking about sitting out this cycle and trying to retake a 174? i think i am. is the shot at HS worth it by sitting out (yet another) year? just toying around with ideas in general but i'm debt averse and S pretty much guarantees a jerb. they're such a black box though...
Hmm... with that GPA I'd be thinking that it is a question of softs once you have hit the 174 mark. I doubt more LSAT points are going to make your app that much more appealing to them. To be honest, a 178 doesn't say THAT much more than a 174 IMO

There seems to be two camps, one of which is "retake til you hit 180" and the other is that after you pass a school's medians it doesn't matter that much. My GPA will limit me regardless I think, and another year off wouldn't get me anywhere exciting WE-wise.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:07 am

twinkletoes16 wrote: There seems to be two camps, one of which is "retake til you hit 180" and the other is that after you pass a school's medians it doesn't matter that much. My GPA will limit me regardless I think, and another year off wouldn't get me anywhere exciting WE-wise.
Can you go and do something with the next year that isn't just a continuation of your current WE? Maybe cure HIV/AIDS (as it seems like the whole curing cancer thing is overdone)?

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote: There seems to be two camps, one of which is "retake til you hit 180" and the other is that after you pass a school's medians it doesn't matter that much. My GPA will limit me regardless I think, and another year off wouldn't get me anywhere exciting WE-wise.
Can you go and do something with the next year that isn't just a continuation of your current WE? Maybe cure HIV/AIDS (as it seems like the whole curing cancer thing is overdone)?

I was thinking about creating something infomercial/skymall-worthy and create an empire, but i guess i could go resolve the whole HIV/AIDS thing.

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:55 am

Hi everyone!

Sorry guys for all of you with DLS :(

One quick question, I hope someone can help me: for the DLS, is there an email sent, or do you need to manually check your status checker? Because my status checker never worked (it really NEVER worked, I tried all the things people were suggesting in that thread) so Stanford told me they'd be in touch with me via email. I'm wondering, if I am in the DLS batch, if they will bother emailing me to tell me or if they'll just figure that I'll see the mail in the post. But the thing is I am currently abroad. But I don't want to write them to bother as I might also still be under review.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:59 am

Mdenis1 wrote:Hi everyone!

One quick question, I hope someone can help me: for the DLS, is there an email sent, or do you need to manually check your status checker? Because my status checker never worked (it really NEVER worked, I tried all the things people were suggesting in that thread) so Stanford told me they'd be in touch with me via email. I'm wondering, if I am in the DLS batch, if they will bother emailing me to tell me or if they'll just figure that I'll see the mail in the post. But the thing is I am currently abroad. But I don't want to write them to bother as I might also still be under review.
It's just the status checker and then a letter a few days later.

nanochick

New

Post by nanochick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:02 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:

From personal experience, I agree with this. Good luck, though! YMMV.

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 am

jselson wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:Hi everyone!

It's just the status checker and then a letter a few days later.
Thanks

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
+1

TLS overstates importance of numbers at a certain point. Curing HIV/AIDS would be the correct answer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jakers3000

New

Post by Jakers3000 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:41 am

Many on this thread have had problems with the status checker, myself included. I believe I have discovered a, if not the, source of the problem. If you google something along the lines of "Stanford Law Status Checker" the top site is: "Application Status Check|Stanford Law School" but this is NOT the proper status check site for JD applications. If you follow the link (http://www.law.stanford.edu/degrees/adv ... atus-check) it leads to the Advanced Degree Status check site that looks identical to the JD Application Status check site, but will not recognize your name and password.

The correct site is http://www.law.stanford.edu/degrees/jd/ ... atus-check

Hopefully this is helpful for those who want to neurotically check their statuses for uppercase/lowercase or whatever other craziness. Perhaps I will get enough good karma from this post for an admission.

cwid1391

Bronze

Post by cwid1391 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:08 am

I don't know why, but I feel like this is the week that the ball gets rolling.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 am

Jakers3000 wrote:Many on this thread have had problems with the status checker, myself included. I believe I have discovered a, if not the, source of the problem. If you google something along the lines of "Stanford Law Status Checker" the top site is: "Application Status Check|Stanford Law School" but this is NOT the proper status check site for JD applications. If you follow the link (http://www.law.stanford.edu/degrees/adv ... atus-check) it leads to the Advanced Degree Status check site that looks identical to the JD Application Status check site, but will not recognize your name and password.

The correct site is http://www.law.stanford.edu/degrees/jd/ ... atus-check

Hopefully this is helpful for those who want to neurotically check their statuses for uppercase/lowercase or whatever other craziness. Perhaps I will get enough good karma from this post for an admission.
My status check won't work. Does anyone know why it doesn't recognize my username?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

awesome job getting this link for us, now just please repost it every time this thread gets a new page

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:09 pm

My ding should be waiting for me in my mailbox when I get home. I'm sad that I won't get to keep talking to you guys about all things related to Stanford law admissions. And by "all things related to Stanford law admissions" I mean status checkers.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 pm

Last edited by twinkletoes16 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:14 pm

BigZuck wrote:My ding should be waiting for me in my mailbox when I get home. I'm sad that I won't get to keep talking to you guys about all things related to Stanford law admissions. And by "all things related to Stanford law admissions" I mean status checkers.
Best of luck, brother

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:30 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

There seems to be two camps, one of which is "retake til you hit 180" and the other is that after you pass a school's medians it doesn't matter that much. My GPA will limit me regardless I think, and another year off wouldn't get me anywhere exciting WE-wise.
Retaking would be a large expense of time and money for very little chance of gain; if you took in October with me you probably missed only a handful of questions already. I think it would make almost 0 effect on stanford. The only quantifiable impact of a higher score than 174 might be a baller scholarship like butler/hamilton ect. since those *seem* to only go to 175+. I thought you were happy with Cal tho!

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 pm

I am! like SUPER stoked! I just worry relentlessly about debt/$ and this is a big leap, no matter what school. i think if it was a 172 or 173 maybe but i do think y'all are right that i'm at the point of diminishing returns.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”