Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UnamSanctam

Platinum

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:59 am

VasaVasori wrote:Also, for those of you admitted, when you go on the ASW and check your financial award info does anything come up? Hoping they haven't put any up yet, because mine says zero awards found.
It took me a couple weeks to get mine last year.

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:57 am

Wishing you all the best of luck. For those of you still waiting, or yet to apply, just a bit of a story to keep your spirits up....

I originally took the LSAT last October, but underperformed in the process. Retook in December, and got a 171. Much better.

My application cycle was long, but worth it. I was waitlisted at a bunch of places, including UM, before getting in at Duke and Northwestern among others. I eventually decided to ask for a defered acceptance at U Mich because I loved it so much and I had a good idea they would give me the best financial aid package.

Long story short, everything will work out. Those of you yet to hear, or even apply, don't lose hope. Those of you already accepted, I hope you make the right to decision to attend U Mich, and I look forward to seeing you in Ann Arbor next fall!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:18 am

jrthor10 wrote:Wishing you all the best of luck. For those of you still waiting, or yet to apply, just a bit of a story to keep your spirits up....

I originally took the LSAT last October, but underperformed in the process. Retook in December, and got a 171. Much better.

My application cycle was long, but worth it. I was waitlisted at a bunch of places, including UM, before getting in at Duke and Northwestern among others. I eventually decided to ask for a defered acceptance at U Mich because I loved it so much and I had a good idea they would give me the best financial aid package.

Long story short, everything will work out. Those of you yet to hear, or even apply, don't lose hope. Those of you already accepted, I hope you make the right to decision to attend U Mich, and I look forward to seeing you in Ann Arbor next fall!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! Considering Michigan's employment stats are the worst of the T13 (and a good deal worse than the schools you specifically mentioned) in your opinion why do you think attending would be the "right decision?" Cost of attendance? Or something else? Honestly not trolling, I'm just looking for some insight from a current student. I'm interested in Michigan but the employment prospects are scary to me. But maybe last year was just an aberration?

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:41 am

1. COA. I looked at Northwestern, but by the time I got in, they were offering me $0. I'd easily be looking at $200,000 in debt.

I really thought long and hard about Duke, but 2 (sort of superficial) reasons kept me at Michigan: A. I wanted to be closer to home for law school. I went to undergrad on the east coast and I currently work in Florida, and I am from the Midwest. B. As great of a law school as Duke is, and as much I like the area, I coudn't get over the fact that I would be going to "Duke." Plus, I went to Georgetown, already have a basketball team to cheer for, and wanted to add a football team.

*Mostly joking on the last point.

2. As shitty as UMich's job stats were last year (which actually corresponds to OCI 2009 or 2010 I believe), I am buoyed by 2 add'l factors: 1. Their job placement and reputation in the Midwest (where I want to be) is still very good. Among established attorneys, Michigan and UChicago are still considered the big dogs of law firms in the Midwest. If you don't believe me, check out the USNWR rankings for the past 5 years. Michigan is always rated in the top 5 (maybe the top 6) by professionals in the field. Some might argue that this is outdated and is mostly due to old farts not knowing shit about current legal education. Whatever. Old farts are the partners that make the decisions at big firms so I am okay with going on their idea of the top schools vs. what people 20 yrs old or not in the law profession think.

Lastly, I do think that OCI results for that one year were unusually awful, and based on some poor advice from the career office (this is what I am told). Also, I think that a higher number of people at Michigan self-select for gov't or non-profit work compared to other schools in the T-14 (maybe not Gtown, but absent them, yes).

Let me know if you have add'l questions. Happy to answer them.

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:47 am

jrthor10 wrote: Plus, I went to Georgetown, already have a basketball team to cheer for, and wanted to add a football team.
fellow hoya!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:20 pm

02889 wrote:
shntn wrote:
taf889 wrote:so no movement today?
Nah. At the risk of everyone ITT's ire, I'd guess that we're done with admits for the week. The waves seem to be spaced apart a bit more, from what I've seen on LSN.
Sigh, the growing likelihood that your prediction is right is really bumming me out, especially since there are still tons of September apps in line ahead of my 10/4 submit.
Well looks like we'll be waiting a bit more yet. We'll manage.

Also, I don't think submission date is as big a factor as some seem to think. I submitted on day 2, and some of the admits on LSN submitted around the time you did. It looks like they're not very interested in dipping below their 25% for GPA at this point which might explain why they're taking their dear time with mine at least.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:03 pm

shntn wrote:
02889 wrote:
shntn wrote:
taf889 wrote:so no movement today?
Nah. At the risk of everyone ITT's ire, I'd guess that we're done with admits for the week. The waves seem to be spaced apart a bit more, from what I've seen on LSN.
Sigh, the growing likelihood that your prediction is right is really bumming me out, especially since there are still tons of September apps in line ahead of my 10/4 submit.
Well looks like we'll be waiting a bit more yet. We'll manage.

Also, I don't think submission date is as big a factor as some seem to think. I submitted on day 2, and some of the admits on LSN submitted around the time you did. It looks like they're not very interested in dipping below their 25% for GPA at this point which might explain why they're taking their dear time with mine at least.
+1

This is definitely not a new practice either; looking at past cycles it seems that early T-14 admits (excluding ED and Duke PT) rarely include traditional splitters. Even last year Michigan's November admits for example were a much stronger group than their admits in general. This year if anything with the uncertainty in law school application trends I would expect schools to take even more time to make decisions on splitters.

For example, I'm still waiting on Cornell as a September admit, and while part of me does fear that perhaps they have pushed me into the "to be WLed" pile, the only sub 25% GPA admits so far on LSN have much better LSATs than me (e.g. shinton lol). Past cycles predict ~80% chance of straight acceptance, so why worry?

soccer88

Bronze

Post by soccer88 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Last edited by soccer88 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:53 am

For the people are admitted: did you apply for summer start, fall start or both. I'm wondering of they are telling potential summer starts first

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nordi

New

Post by nordi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:06 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:For the people are admitted: did you apply for summer start, fall start or both. I'm wondering of they are telling potential summer starts first
I applied for either and was admitted for summer start. I'm below both their median GPA and LSAT, and I have two lower LSAT scores. I wasn't expecting an admit, and certainly not this early. I'm not sure how the summer start will factor into my decision.
Last edited by nordi on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soccer88

Bronze

Post by soccer88 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 pm

nordi wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:For the people are admitted: did you apply for summer start, fall start or both. I'm wondering of they are telling potential summer starts first
I applied for either and was admitted for summer start. I'm below both their median GPA and LSAT, and I have two lower LSAT scores. So I wasn't expecting an admit, and certainly not this early. I'm not sure how the summer start will factor into my decision.
Where did it say summer start for you?

nordi

New

Post by nordi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:23 pm

soccer88 wrote:
nordi wrote:
I applied for either and was admitted for summer start. I'm below both their median GPA and LSAT, and I have two lower LSAT scores. So I wasn't expecting an admit, and certainly not this early. I'm not sure how the summer start will factor into my decision.
I believe the first sentence of the letter said "for Summer 2013". There was also a date for orientation and the start of classes.
Last edited by nordi on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soccer88

Bronze

Post by soccer88 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:25 pm

nordi wrote:
soccer88 wrote:
nordi wrote:
I believe in the very first sentence of the letter in said "for Summer 2013". There was also a date for orientation and the start of classes.
Ah indeed, it does for me as well. I didn't get past I am very pleased to offer you in my excitement....

thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whuntington3

Bronze

Post by whuntington3 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:37 pm

I was admitted as a summer start. I applied for both, but mentioned liking the summer start in my "Why Michigan."

LaMuSayonga

Bronze

Post by LaMuSayonga » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:38 pm

I was admitted for the Fall. Received my official letter and flash drive/yellow portfolio in the mail today.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:03 pm

nordi wrote:
I applied for either and was admitted for summer start. I'm below both their median GPA and LSAT, and I have two lower LSAT scores. I wasn't expecting an admit, and certainly not this early. I'm not sure how the summer start will factor into my decision.
Very interesting. I wouldn't have expected anyone with those numbers to get admitted this early. It seems like they're still working through those applicants with near auto-admit numbers.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:55 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
nordi wrote:
Very interesting. I wouldn't have expected anyone with those numbers to get admitted this early. It seems like they're still working through those applicants with near auto-admit numbers.
And no splitter love so far. Womp womp.

nordi

New

Post by nordi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:03 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
nordi wrote:
I think it speaks to the fact that Michigan really does have a holistic approach to admissions. If you look at the graphs for the last several years on lawschoolnumbers.com, it's clear that they wait list a lot of people with "auto-admit numbers" and admit a fair number of people with less than stellar stats. Still, I was surprised. If anyone can speak to the question of whether there's a hiring bias against summer starters, I'd be interested. I'm also was accepted in the first waive of decisions from Cornell, though obviously my stats there were less borderline than for Michigan.

whuntington3

Bronze

Post by whuntington3 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:37 am

shntn wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
nordi wrote:
And no splitter love so far. Womp womp.
I'm a splitter, and my "personal" note had the word love underlined.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:14 pm

Went complete on Sat! Told me something that I got a huge thrill from this where it was no big deal everywhere else (which it isn't buy thrill nonetheless).

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:18 pm

slack_academic wrote:
Gisney wrote:Went complete on Sat! Told me something that I got a huge thrill from this where it was no big deal everywhere else (which it isn't buy thrill nonetheless).
Did you accidentally a few words here? I don't get it.
Well I did use Siri while driving so it is not clear. I meant that being thrilled about going complete was an indication of my excitement about Michigan where it wasn't a big deal at most of the other schools I applied to. Also added an acknowledgement that it isn't a big deal in reality.

Anyway just a random post that was made half way into an 11 hour drive.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”