Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UnamSanctam

Platinum

Re: Michigan (AKA Hogwarts) c/o 2016 Applicants Thread 2012-2013

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:03 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:It looks like there was some kind of miscommunication. It sounds like you were asking "Hey, uh, I wanna come visit, but you guys will put that in my file, right?" So it makes sense that she would respond by basically letting you know that no, it won't go in your file because it wouldn't be fair to those who could not come visit the campus.

If you actually want to show interest in Michigan, you should go visit, enjoy your trip, and then, if you're waitlisted, write a LOCI that references your wonderful visit to Ann Arbor.
Sounds about right.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:21 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:It looks like there was some kind of miscommunication. It sounds like you were asking "Hey, uh, I wanna come visit, but you guys will put that in my file, right?" So it makes sense that she would respond by basically letting you know that no, it won't go in your file because it wouldn't be fair to those who could not come visit the campus.

If you actually want to show interest in Michigan, you should go visit, enjoy your trip, and then, if you're waitlisted, write a LOCI that references your wonderful visit to Ann Arbor.
I agree that asking about visiting with admissions-only intent would not be the way to go; mentioning whether it will be recorded that you visited is definitely barking up the wrong tree. It's unclear to me whether that's what happened. I can see, for example, wanting to know that if you visited, you would at least be able to meet with someone of some substance and that you wouldn't just be wandering around the campus aimlessly. I think that's a fair question, and it probably deserved a more balanced and friendly response, since having students visit the school is, IMO, pretty important for both sides before making a final decision.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:26 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

I agree that asking about visiting with admissions-only intent would not be the way to go; mentioning whether it will be recorded that you visited is definitely barking up the wrong tree. It's unclear to me whether that's what happened. I can see, for example, wanting to know that if you visited, you would at least be able to meet with someone of some substance and that you wouldn't just be wandering around the campus aimlessly. I think that's a fair question, and it probably deserved a more balanced and friendly response, since having students visit the school is, IMO, pretty important for both sides before making a final decision.
JayJones78 wrote: I called to check about visiting the schools and if the fact that I will visit the school will go into my file and if the person I will meet from the admissions office will type any notes into my file.
The fact that this was the very first sentence of the story leads me to believe that they didn't get the answer they wanted and probably pushed the issue. Of course, no one in admissions should ever get testy, but sternly stating the policy and then giving valid reasons for the policy are not actions that warrant outrage.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
pedestrian wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:just had a very annoying and to some degree degrding experience with UMich admissions.

I called to check about visiting the schools and if the fact that I will visit the school will go into my file and if the person I will meet from the admissions office will type any notes into my file. So after telling me that "everything is cleary stated in our web site" although I never said I think this will be an evaluating interview she continued by almost making me feel bad for wanting to come visit and spend my money on seein if Michigan is a good fit. "well we have so many intl applicants we can't expect them to come visit" when I told her I dont have extra money but rather take money from somewhere else and put into this trip JUST to visit the school she said "well we have peace corps members who can't even do that" G lady thanks for trying to make me feel like I'm non deserving and pretty much godly awful because I want to spend hard earned money on visiting your campus.

Sorry for the venting I just finished the conv with her and I was like WTF?? Do they really let you speak to people who are going to give you around 200K like that?
This is the same basic point that they make regarding grad degrees - they don't want to give a boost to applicants with graduate degrees because it is not a requirement and that would be unfair to those who don't have them.

That said, neither getting a graduate degree nor visiting the school will hurt you. Just be careful to be extremely polite to everyone, no matter what. Admins do get grouchy after years of dealing with the same questions over and over but you do not want them as enemies.
I was very polite the whole conversation. I was just taken back by how she spoke to me. The manner and tone of voice were just a bit degrading IMHO. I never stated that I was looking for any sort of boost from a visit. All I wanted to know is if I visit the fact that I took an initiative and came all day way to Michigan (I live on the other side of the county) will simply be out as a note on my file saying something like: "the applicant visiting the school prior to a decision". That's it. I just think that the way I was treated was a bit degrading. Mentioning that some of the applicants are in the peace corps should make me feel what? That I should be thankful that I have the ability to get to Michigan? I just honesty think that the schools don't realize how much applicants build an overall impression on them as they go through the application process. There are night and day differences between different schools' admissions office attitude when approaching them with questions or concerns.
Hey man I mean you obviously do what you want but I think posting this on here is a really bad idea. Between your numbers in your profile and the fact that someone had this conversation with you it's gonna take them 30 seconds to ID you. Maybe at this point you don't want UM but if you do I'm not sure writing this helps your chances.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:31 pm

were you guys complete when you received your status checker? i got mine today but still registering as incomplete. thanks guys

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 pm

az21833 wrote:were you guys complete when you received your status checker? i got mine today but still registering as incomplete. thanks guys
Nope. Took a few days before it went complete.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:35 am

Has anyone looked around in past cycles on LSN to see how people with their numbers fared with scholarship money? From the looks of it, Mich is paying more for numbers this cycle compared to the last two years. Is this possibly indicative of the decrease in apps this cycle or....what?

I'd like to get some more evidence for this theory, but FWIW I found people with my numbers got 18.5k/year 2010-11 and 2011-12, and I'm at 25k this year. Of course softs matter blah blah but I have no interesting softs really. Anyone want to offer a comparison with their numbers and someone from the year prior? For science :lol:

I think it'll be interesting to see if this rings true for the rest of the T-14 this cycle, but it's too early to tell with only Mich, Duke, and UVA being the only ones to really dole out cash early.

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 am

twinkletoes16 wrote:Has anyone looked around in past cycles on LSN to see how people with their numbers fared with scholarship money? From the looks of it, Mich is paying more for numbers this cycle compared to the last two years. Is this possibly indicative of the decrease in apps this cycle or....what?

I'd like to get some more evidence for this theory, but FWIW I found people with my numbers got 18.5k/year 2010-11 and 2011-12, and I'm at 25k this year. Of course softs matter blah blah but I have no interesting softs really. Anyone want to offer a comparison with their numbers and someone from the year prior? For science :lol:

I think it'll be interesting to see if this rings true for the rest of the T-14 this cycle, but it's too early to tell with only Mich, Duke, and UVA being the only ones to really dole out cash early.

I've been poking around wondering the same thing. Haven't seen the 75k number come up more than a couple times, though, so my guess is that they bumped it to stay in line with tuition. Buuuuttttt... that's just a guess, unsupported by anything. So there you go.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 am

cslouisck wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Has anyone looked around in past cycles on LSN to see how people with their numbers fared with scholarship money? From the looks of it, Mich is paying more for numbers this cycle compared to the last two years. Is this possibly indicative of the decrease in apps this cycle or....what?

I've been poking around wondering the same thing. Haven't seen the 75k number come up more than a couple times, though, so my guess is that they bumped it to stay in line with tuition. Buuuuttttt... that's just a guess, unsupported by anything. So there you go.
I wish there was a better way to look at $$ on LSN (and just more data). One thing to keep in mind is matching so initial offers =/= final offers. Also keep in mind for USNWR a 4.0 180 = a barely above both 75th person. Same applies for splitters (you get the idea). Money really is a different game.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:17 am

wert3813 wrote:I wish there was a better way to look at $$ on LSN
This statement of yours intrigued me, so I'll blame you when I can't stay awake on my radio show tomorrow ;)

Anywho, I was trying to think of a better way to look at the data, and made something similar to the admission graphs on my website. Check it out: http://mylsn.info/graph_money.php

Basically it's a scholarship graph. The more solid the point the greater the scholarship (where a fully solid point is a $150,000 scholarship or greater). You can also see the exact average at a point (and in parentheses is the number of applications taken into consideration).

Note that this also includes data from people who entered their scholarship values as the value per year (ex, 22.5k instead of $67.5k). Also, it discards all values greater than $200,000, and for anything less than four digits long it adds three zeroes to the end (ex: 200 -> 200000, 5 -> 5000.

Really a beta feature, let me know if you have any trouble/ideas to make it more helpful.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 am

Sent in my application! 173/3.53
Better late than never!
This is the most beautiful school I ever seen, btw.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:46 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
This statement of yours intrigued me, so I'll blame you when I can't stay awake on my radio show tomorrow ;)

Anywho, I was trying to think of a better way to look at the data, and made something similar to the admission graphs on my website. Check it out: http://mylsn.info/graph_money.php

Basically it's a scholarship graph. The more solid the point the greater the scholarship (where a fully solid point is a $150,000 scholarship or greater). You can also see the exact average at a point (and in parentheses is the number of applications taken into consideration).

Note that this also includes data from people who entered their scholarship values as the value per year (ex, 22.5k instead of $67.5k). Also, it discards all values greater than $200,000, and for anything less than four digits long it adds three zeroes to the end (ex: 200 -> 200000, 5 -> 5000.

Really a beta feature, let me know if you have any trouble/ideas to make it more helpful.
I like. A lot. The problem of course is still not enough data (people forget to go back and add their scholarship or withdraw before that point) and that so much of scholarship money is reactionary (matching) but UVA, which would be one of the most flushed out ones since they give a lot of money (and early) looks great. Add color.

also do you run LSN or just mylsn? The number one thing you could do to improve LSN in my mind is add a zoom feature to the main charts nothing is more frustrating than knowing that is like twelve data points but not being able to cursor over them. Love the site!

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:53 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

Are you the guy who runs MYLSN? I actually just submitted an idea tonight, using the feedback form on the site, about being able to click on data points and results and being taken to either the LSN profiles or some other page with more detail. Regardless, you are awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HawkeyeGirl

Bronze

Post by HawkeyeGirl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:06 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

This is awesome, thanks so much!!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:33 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

+1

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 am

HawkeyeGirl wrote:

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm

cslouisck wrote:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

This is so helpful!

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Still complete today. Any movement out there?

demarco5

New

Post by demarco5 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Just registered for March Preview Weekend! Anyone else? Timing of that email couldn't have been better, excitement about the weekend made getting rejected from Harvard sting less somehow.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 pm

demarco5 wrote:Just registered for March Preview Weekend! Anyone else? Timing of that email couldn't have been better, excitement about the weekend made getting rejected from Harvard sting less somehow.

I'm going to book today. So from what I understand hotel and food is covered, we just have to pay for the flight and transport from airport to hotel?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:45 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
demarco5 wrote:Just registered for March Preview Weekend! Anyone else? Timing of that email couldn't have been better, excitement about the weekend made getting rejected from Harvard sting less somehow.

I'm going to book today. So from what I understand hotel and food is covered, we just have to pay for the flight and transport from airport to hotel?
WUT

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:46 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:

You're mostly right. All but $20 per night of hotel fare is comped.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm registering for April...not gonna be around in March. Hope to meet some of you fine folks there.

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Is anyone staying Saturday night even though the events that day seem to end around noon? Just curious if that's going to be really dead time where everyone has gone home, or a good opportunity to hang out with people and see the city and get a deeper feel of school in AA. Anyway I'm currently registered for the April one
Last edited by trojandave on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”