In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why have you decieded to join this Pride

My mama made me
8%
I love to make cash and lots of it
28%
Makes me more appealing to the opposite sex
13%
Columbia is the only place that could contain my swagger
33%
I simply like to waste away reading in a library for hours
18%

Total votes: 97

Bronck

Gold

Re: In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride__Poll better than nyu's ha

Post by Bronck » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:09 pm

hypothalamus wrote:
snehpets wrote:did you guys get any kind of confirmation that financial aid had received all your info? i emailed mine and haven't heard.
I asked them if they send out confirmations, and they said no. They will only contact you in a few weeks if there are missing materials. :)
Good to know. Kind of expected that, but thanks for the info!

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Does anyone know where the registration thing at 9 tomorrow is?? I totally forgot to RSVP for the Admitted Student Program, and now I don't know where to show up..

kindaklueless

Bronze

Re: In at Columbia 2015: Blue Pride...Poll better than nyu's ha

Post by kindaklueless » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Nelson wrote:In case anyone was curious, I called their FinAid office today and emailed scans of everything (Columbia questionnaire and taxes) are fine. They said that your parents' taxes are required for the financial aid review, so send in 2010 if your folks aren't filing until after March 1. They gave me a boilerplate warning about not emailing my SSN, but at this point my financial aid information is all over the country sitting in various email inboxes so I'm not too worried about it...
So I waited until the last minute since I was on vacation this past week. Just wanted to confirm that we can in fact email scans of FAQ and tax forms.

operagrl71

New

Post by operagrl71 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Hey quick question, has anyone heard back about a travel stipend for ASW yet? And if so how long did it take for you to get a decision?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:54 pm

operagrl71 wrote:Hey quick question, has anyone heard back about a travel stipend for ASW yet? And if so how long did it take for you to get a decision?
I got my approval for a stipend (250 dollars) a few weeks ago. They got back to me in exactly one week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

operagrl71

New

Post by operagrl71 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Bronck wrote:
operagrl71 wrote:Hey quick question, has anyone heard back about a travel stipend for ASW yet? And if so how long did it take for you to get a decision?
I got my approval for a stipend (250 dollars) a few weeks ago. They got back to me in exactly one week.
Hmm okay, I applied like 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything...maybe they were waiting until I received a stipend decision from NYU?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:22 pm

operagrl71 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Hmm okay, I applied like 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything...maybe they were waiting until I received a stipend decision from NYU?
Hmm I'm not sure. You could try a followup email.

In their email response they said if nyu also gives me a stipend, they'll split he cost with them (160 each for my 320 dollars ticket). Otherwise they'll just cover 250 for me if nyu doesn't approve my request.

Take Two

Silver

Post by Take Two » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Checking in, attended the first Monday at Columbia, and Ima gonna say I liked it :D

hypothalamus

Silver

Post by hypothalamus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:07 pm

The professors, both male and female, were HOT! I think that says a lot about the quality of an educational institution :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Take Two wrote:Checking in, attended the first Monday at Columbia, and Ima gonna say I liked it :D
+1

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:27 pm

I was there too, and loved it. Anyone else deciding between HLS and CLS? I think I change my mind every 5 minutes

Syme

New

Post by Syme » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 pm

nametaken wrote:Anyone else deciding between HLS and CLS? I think I change my mind every 5 minutes
Serious question: What are the compelling reasons to consider CLS over HLS?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Syme wrote:
nametaken wrote:Anyone else deciding between HLS and CLS? I think I change my mind every 5 minutes
Loads of money v sticker

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Bronck wrote:
Syme wrote:
Loads of money v sticker
And some folks might just genuinely prefer CLS over HLS... I'm not saying that it's better, and it will depend on the person, but being in Manhattan the lifestyle and opportunities aren't quite the same.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Elendil wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Syme wrote:
Loads of money v sticker
And some folks might just genuinely prefer CLS over HLS... I'm not saying that it's better, and it will depend on the person, but being in Manhattan the lifestyle and opportunities aren't quite the same.
True Manhattan is the greatest place in the world. But HLS employment prospects are clearly superior and that is overwhelmingly my chief concern when choosing between schools.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Elendil wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Syme wrote:
Loads of money v sticker
Yeah, I am leaning toward CLS based on $$ and location (I already live in NYC and want to continue working here after law school). Taking on the debt I'd incur attending HLS at sticker on top of my undergrad debt makes me want to cry a little bit.. but we will see

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Just an FYI. I talked to FinAid and they said there was no merit aid in addition to what you did/didn't receive in your admissions packet. For those who were wondering...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Just an FYI. I talked to FinAid and they said there was no merit aid in addition to what you did/didn't receive in your admissions packet. For those who were wondering...
So you're saying that if we didn't get a Hamilton or Butler, we should have no hope for any merit based aid? Pretty sure that goes against what has typically been said...

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Elendil wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Just an FYI. I talked to FinAid and they said there was no merit aid in addition to what you did/didn't receive in your admissions packet. For those who were wondering...
So you're saying that if we didn't get a Hamilton or Butler, we should have no hope for any merit based aid? Pretty sure that goes against what has typically been said...
That's what the person said that I talked to. I mean she could be completely wrong, I'm just reporting what I was told.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Elendil wrote:
That's what the person said that I talked to. I mean she could be completely wrong, I'm just reporting what I was told.
Columbia says this BS every year. Yes, the awards that come out later are after they review your financial info, but people with better numbers get more money. I suppose it could be nominally true, but lots of schools seem to say that their financial aid packages aren't merit related even though people with better numbers seem to get more money.
Last edited by Nelson on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Elendil wrote:
They still give additional aid in April, though. It's ostensibly need-based, but I highly doubt that's the case.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 pm

So basically even if there's no way I would get any need-based aid, I should submit everything just in case?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:42 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:So basically even if there's no way I would get any need-based aid, I should submit everything just in case?
Yeah, it seems that way. If you read last year's threads, Columbia was very obtuse and slow about aid last year too but there definitely were some small grants handed out in April.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:So basically even if there's no way I would get any need-based aid, I should submit everything just in case?
That's what I'm doing. It's a pain but worth it if I can finagle anything out of them.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Anybody know how to turn the Fin Aid questionnaire into an editable PDF?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”