In at Harvard Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW are you going to attend?

March 3-5
31%
April 14-16
30%
None, I hate fun
25%
Both (is this even possible?)
7%
The obligatory other
8%

Total votes: 120

nametaken

Bronze

Re: In at Harvard

Post by nametaken » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Does anyone recommend a hotel to stay at? I can't make the ASW and am going next weekend to visit instead

Cravin

New

Post by Cravin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:07 pm

splbagel wrote:
phl516 wrote:Just opened up the travel subsidy form (thanks for the reminder, Kulshan). Can you not get a subsidy for gas if you are driving?
Couldn't hurt to ask, right? Just show them a calculation of your car's highway mpg and the round-trip distance.
Or, leave home with a full tank. Fill up at ASW. Save the receipt. Multiply by two. Easier to calculate, and you have a receipt you can turn in to the office.

phl516

New

Post by phl516 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Cravin wrote:
splbagel wrote:
phl516 wrote:Just opened up the travel subsidy form (thanks for the reminder, Kulshan). Can you not get a subsidy for gas if you are driving?
Couldn't hurt to ask, right? Just show them a calculation of your car's highway mpg and the round-trip distance.
Or, leave home with a full tank. Fill up at ASW. Save the receipt. Multiply by two. Easier to calculate, and you have a receipt you can turn in to the office.
Yea, I'll ask them what the protocol is for this and let everyone know.

bogm2012

New

Post by bogm2012 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:41 pm

phl516 wrote:
Cravin wrote:
splbagel wrote:
Yea, I'll ask them what the protocol is for this and let everyone know.
I used to get reimbursed by my company based on some governmental calculation of mileage. It factors in wear and tear, gas prices, insurance, etc. I think it worked out to be like, $0.57/mile.

Might be worth checking to see whether Harvard has a similar rate.

andanother

New

Post by andanother » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Harvard-specific financial aid question: Is there a downside to paying off previous graduate school loans prior to applying for financial aid? The positive is that student assets taken into account in determining eligibility for need-based grants would be less.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zelda

Bronze

Post by Zelda » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Some questions.

1. When do we have to give HLS our decision? I couldn't find it on ASW or in my acceptance packet.
2. Once we fill out our financial aid form, how long does it take to hear back?
3. Does HLS negotiate financial aid at all?

Is anyone else paying themselves and having to take out serious $$$ loans?

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Zelda wrote:Some questions.

1. When do we have to give HLS our decision? I couldn't find it on ASW or in my acceptance packet.

1. May 1st
Not sure about the answers to 2 and 3 but I've heard that they are somewhat flexible (maybe?) if you have a full ride from CCN or get better aid from HY. Again, not sure.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I've heard they don't really negotiate but their aid is need based so hopefully you can get a lot if you are paying on your own
Zelda wrote:Some questions.

goodwillhunting

New

Post by goodwillhunting » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:38 am

nametaken wrote:Does anyone recommend a hotel to stay at? I can't make the ASW and am going next weekend to visit instead
I don't know how much you want to spend on hotel stay, but all the hotels in Harvard Square (The Inn at Harvard, Harvard Sq Hotel, the Charles Hotel, Hotel Veritas, and Sheraton Commander) are pretty expensive ($200+ per night). If you have a car, you can drive out to the suburbs (Newton, Woburn, Lexington) and find much cheaper hotel (around $100), but if you don't have a car but want to save on hotel, you can go with some hotels in MIT area or downtown Boston (IIRC, around $150 for Courtyard or Holiday Inn level hotel)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:57 am

goodwillhunting wrote:
nametaken wrote:Does anyone recommend a hotel to stay at? I can't make the ASW and am going next weekend to visit instead
I don't know how much you want to spend on hotel stay, but all the hotels in Harvard Square (The Inn at Harvard, Harvard Sq Hotel, the Charles Hotel, Hotel Veritas, and Sheraton Commander) are pretty expensive ($200+ per night). If you have a car, you can drive out to the suburbs (Newton, Woburn, Lexington) and find much cheaper hotel (around $100), but if you don't have a car but want to save on hotel, you can go with some hotels in MIT area or downtown Boston (IIRC, around $150 for Courtyard or Holiday Inn level hotel)
I don't have a car since I'm from NYC, but I convinced my dad to pay for my room at the Sheraton since I'm going alone haha. Thanks for your help!

caminante

Bronze

Post by caminante » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:45 pm

PSA: For those of you looking for places to stay for ASW (or any other school visit), check out airbnb.com. I originally booked at a hotel a few miles away to save money, but then remembered hearing about airbnb a while ago. I am now booked to stay in an apartment very close to campus that is much cheaper than the hotel I was going to stay in :)

(I realize this comes off like an ad, but I'm really just excited about where I'm going to be staying! haha)

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:35 pm

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know where I can find travel subsidy form? Thanks in advance.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know where I can find travel subsidy form? Thanks in advance.
Go to the Visiting HLS as an Admitted Student tab, under there should be "Travel Subsidy Form" as a red link, click it, and its at the bottom of the next page.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Got my travel subsidy, processed in about 4 business days. Was eligible for $150 based on distance, plane fare cost over $450, approved for $125.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:25 pm

splbagel wrote:Got my travel subsidy, processed in about 4 business days. Was eligible for $150 based on distance, plane fare cost over $450, approved for $125.
Damn, stingy. :x

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:51 pm

Hmm, I got approved for the full $150 today. I added a bit about need as well, don't know whether that helped.

euskadi

Bronze

Post by euskadi » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:48 pm

You can now sign up for your top three choices for classes to observe during March's ASW. I'm really impressed with the list of options - is anyone else gunning for Larry Lessig's 8:10 Contracts class?!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:02 pm

euskadi wrote:You can now sign up for your top three choices for classes to observe during March's ASW. I'm really impressed with the list of options - is anyone else gunning for Larry Lessig's 8:10 Contracts class?!
Yep, that was my first choice. My second was the Globalization class with Kennedy, then Property with Mann.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Oh damn, I scrolled through the list too quickly to notice Lessig's class. I picked some afternoon ones because if ASW is as fun as I hope it is, I won't want to be alive in the mornings, let alone attend a class.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:14 pm

Requested Lessig and Zittrain...so excited for ASW!

Zelda

Bronze

Post by Zelda » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:22 pm

Soooo...

If there is anyone else who thinks they are not going to qualify for need based grants and is paying for school on their own...

I would love to chat/commiserate.

PM me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jerwinf1

New

Post by Jerwinf1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 am

Someone has probably already asked this but I'm curious as to whether or not Harvard helps you set up housing with current students for ASW if you're interested...

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 am

Jerwinf1 wrote:Someone has probably already asked this but I'm curious as to whether or not Harvard helps you set up housing with current students for ASW if you're interested...
They do, but I don't think it's guaranteed. You can request it when you sign up. A current student told me a few days ago that an email had just gone out asking for volunteers to host for March ASW, so we should hear back within the next week or so.

medialoop

New

Post by medialoop » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:38 pm

For those of you who have already filled out the travel reimbursement form, did you just print it, fill it out, scan it, and e-mail it? The PDF wasn't letting me fill it out electronically so I'm assuming this is the best option. Or did you send it via snail mail? I'm just worried because the website says that you have to send it in at least 10 days before your visit, and that's coming up pretty soon so I don't want to screw it up...

Thanks! (And sorry if this info is somewhere on the website or form and I just couldn't find it.)

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:55 pm

medialoop wrote:For those of you who have already filled out the travel reimbursement form, did you just print it, fill it out, scan it, and e-mail it? The PDF wasn't letting me fill it out electronically so I'm assuming this is the best option. Or did you send it via snail mail? I'm just worried because the website says that you have to send it in at least 10 days before your visit, and that's coming up pretty soon so I don't want to screw it up...

Thanks! (And sorry if this info is somewhere on the website or form and I just couldn't find it.)
I sent it via snail mail. The first page of the form says: "Return the Travel Details Form to the J.D. Admissions Office. Mail the completed request forms to Harvard Law School, J.D. Admissions, 1563 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138." Not sure if others have had success scanning and emailing instead.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”