In at Harvard Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Which ASW are you going to attend?

March 3-5
31%
April 14-16
30%
None, I hate fun
25%
Both (is this even possible?)
7%
The obligatory other
8%

Total votes: 120

ignatiusr

New

Re: In at Harvard

Post by ignatiusr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Possibly the coolest part of the package is the access info. for our e-mail accounts. Difficult to resist the temptation to start e-mailing my friends from an @law.harvard.edu address. It's also exciting that we get to keep our accounts for life.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 pm

ignatiusr wrote:Possibly the coolest part of the package is the access info. for our e-mail accounts. Difficult to resist the temptation to start e-mailing my friends from an @law.harvard.edu address. It's also exciting that we get to keep our accounts for life.
Even if you don't go to Harvard, you keep the Harvard email? That's be sort of strange, but kinda cool.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:23 pm

MumofCad wrote:
ignatiusr wrote:Possibly the coolest part of the package is the access info. for our e-mail accounts. Difficult to resist the temptation to start e-mailing my friends from an @law.harvard.edu address. It's also exciting that we get to keep our accounts for life.
Even if you don't go to Harvard, you keep the Harvard email? That's be sort of strange, but kinda cool.
I'm guessing that they delete them if you withdraw your application. I think by "for life" they mean if you actually attend

ignatiusr

New

Post by ignatiusr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:51 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
MumofCad wrote:
I'm guessing that they delete them if you withdraw your application. I think by "for life" they mean if you actually attend
Yeah, I'm assuming the accounts only remain with students who actually enroll and graduate

acappella

New

Post by acappella » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:22 pm

spek wrote:I just got back home and I saw another, much thinner, envelope from Harvard. I was so scared it was a letter saying "We regret to inform you that we made a mistake. You actually have not been admitted." Luckily it was just the 'deposit or withdrawal' form. I guess they forgot to include it in my main package.
I got this too and had the same exact reaction :lol:

I'll probably be attending the March ASW since it's during my spring break.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:12 pm

just got my packet and set up my email, so exciting

but what's weird is my acceptance letter is dated to wed, not mon...so i was admitted on wed unlike the rest of u guys...i still dont know what happened....

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:23 am

Maybe KB read the forums, saw your off-color joke, and wanted to scare you a bit :)

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 am

LaCumparsita wrote:Maybe KB read the forums, saw your off-color joke, and wanted to scare you a bit :)
it wasnt a joke, i still want ur screename to be americanized

LaCumparsita

Bronze

Post by LaCumparsita » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:21 am

Lol how do I Americanize the name of a tango?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Still up in Boston poking around, but I have to say....pretty sold on Harvard. I got to sit in on a test review for CivPro with a 1L section and it was really fabulous.

I went out after with my friend's 1L section and talked to a good number of the people. I guess I was most surprised to find them really non-stressed. This was their final class, then they have a dead week all next week to study for finals, then finals and home for the holidays. I expected them to be buried away and panicking, but it was quite the opposite. Karaoke was on the post-dinner menu and no one I spoke to was worried about doing poorly on the exams as their profs had spent the entire semester reassuring them that everyone would be successful both in exams and in life. They were taking things seriously, but none were reporting all-nighters (though they admitted the first month is a rough adjustment period because you are so inefficient and unsure what the profs expect or want from their questioning).

All felt really supported by the school and were just generally nice, friendly, normal people lol. We talked about all sorts of stuff over dinner non-law related so it was very much relaxed. Contrary to what you may have heard about H, my friend and the others described the atmosphere of their section as being very collegial and not at all competitive. I don't want to out my friend, but she had some specific examples where people have gone out of their way to help her and my general impression in class too was one of a group attacking the material together. They also seemed to be happy with the freedom they had to arrange their schedules and choose classes next term, which I had in my head would be a restricted as the first term, though this is apparently not the case.

Anyhow, the visit def alleviated my fears about managing the workload or the general atmosphere of the school being overly demanding/competitive.

Oh, and the Prof I hope to have classes responded soooo warmly to my email asking if I might be able to drop by and introduce myself. I'm going in Monday and she could not have made me feel more welcome. I felt pretty sheepish even asking and was really shocked by the response. I guess because I went to a small undergrad where we were told the attention we got from profs was due to its size, I just didn't expect to have that same sort of contact at Harvard Law. The prof in the class I sat in on though was also very inviting to the students, telling them he would make himself available the entire next week anytime if they felt anxious and wanted to come in to talk to him about the test individually or in study groups or whatever.

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:45 pm

MumofCad wrote:Still up in Boston poking around, but I have to say....pretty sold on Harvard. I got to sit in on a test review for CivPro with a 1L section and it was really fabulous.
Awesome! Great to hear all this. How are you finding Cambridge? I've never been to the Boston area, but I hear great things about Boston and Cambridge especially.

I wish I knew whether Yale was going to bite so I could buy H shirts for my parents for Xmas.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:18 am

kulshan wrote:
MumofCad wrote:Still up in Boston poking around, but I have to say....pretty sold on Harvard. I got to sit in on a test review for CivPro with a 1L section and it was really fabulous.
Awesome! Great to hear all this. How are you finding Cambridge? I've never been to the Boston area, but I hear great things about Boston and Cambridge especially.

I wish I knew whether Yale was going to bite so I could buy H shirts for my parents for Xmas.
Well Yale should be letting a few people know in the coming weeks, so you might still have a wee bit of time. I don't think it matters too much in my situation. I'm going out with a real estate agent today. My only Harvard hang-up now is whether I can find a reasonable house in a good school district that has a short commute. Fingers crossed! I think we're looking at some good places today.

Cambridge is really nice. We took a walk to a restaurant and I found the food both good and affordable, which I was surprised to find a few blocks from the campus. My friend had told me she found COL beyond housing to be reasonable, and I have to say I agree in comparison to DC living. If you are a total cold weather wimp like me, I was happy to know the buildings are connected by underground tunnels at the law school. If you are single and looking to live on campus, it seems like life would be pretty easy since the dorms and the class buildings are in a small little quad all facing each other.

I also found the people working in Cambridge to be pretty friendly. The garage attendant let me in to the permit parking so I got to park the whole day free, because I explained that I was lost and had no idea where I was supposed to park. She was very kind and several people volunteered to help me find my way when I was wandering around. They've made some recent campus improvements to the student center and the first thing I did was attempt to set off an alarm (successfully of course ;)) In general, everything looked really nice and I could def see myself happily studying there. They have more new buildings planned as well, though I'm not sure on when they are opening.

Either way, it was a nice safe neighborhood where you could walk around easily at night. Lots of students milling about, going here or there. The size of the city took me a little by surprise. Even as you move out from Cambridge into Newton, Belmont, etc, you are still really living in a more urban environment than I expected. If you are familiar with DC, I'd say those areas remind me of Northwest, maybe even into southern Bethesda but def not suburban like Potomac or what not. For housing purposes, this might be important to some.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks for the description MoC! Really makes me excited to eventually visit myself and it's great to know that you got a good vibe from the student body - I'm finding that it's getting more and more important for me to go to a school that won't kill me in terms of stress level and cut-throat competition, and out of HYS I was concerned about H the most just because of what I've heard anecdotally, but a lot of the students on this board and your post has reassured me that it sounds like a great place to be!

So there are underground tunnels that connect all the law buildings?! So I don't have to endure the cold?! :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:49 am

kulshan

Bronze

Post by kulshan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks for all the info, Mum. Good luck with the house hunt! I'm really excited to visit, can't believe I have to wait until March.

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:12 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
annyong wrote:Thanks for the description MoC! Really makes me excited to eventually visit myself and it's great to know that you got a good vibe from the student body - I'm finding that it's getting more and more important for me to go to a school that won't kill me in terms of stress level and cut-throat competition, and out of HYS I was concerned about H the most just because of what I've heard anecdotally, but a lot of the students on this board and your post has reassured me that it sounds like a great place to be!

So there are underground tunnels that connect all the law buildings?! So I don't have to endure the cold?! :shock:
The dorms are connected as well, so those folk don't have to go outside at all during the winter if they're okay with eating in the Hark.

I would definitely say that it's still stressful, but it's not cut-throat. People are fairly willing to share--we have a fb group for my section and ppl post helpful stuff for the rest of the class there decently frequently. I've had absolutely no problem getting notes from people when I've missed class. etc.
Yeah I'm expecting law school to be stressful, but I've heard ridiculous stories from some schools about the level students compete with each other and it just doesn't sound like an environment I would be able to enjoy for 3 years, I'm much more encouraged by the stories of students cooperating and enjoying their sections.

Also very encouraged at the possibility of not going outside all winter...I was debating strapping a space heater to my back all winter but that seems like a much better idea :P (Probably seen snow "stick" about 6 times in my life, and every time school was cancelled for like a week...)

spek

Bronze

Post by spek » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Thanks for giving us such a detailed account of your time there moc! It definitely alleviates some fears I had about the intensity and level of competition at Harvard. Can't wait to visit in the spring and see if it'll be a good fit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Checking in! Similarly afraid that I hallucinated the call. Still waiting on Stanford, and would have to take financial aid into account if another T6 made me a sweet offer that Harvard wouldn't match... but other than those two possibilities, it's fairly likely I'll be meeting some of you in the fall!

I'll be 25, neither baby nor fogey.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi everyone! Checking in. Hope to meet some of you at ASW if not at Cambridge in the fall.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:14 am

In Asia, so I woke up to a blown-up thread and no KB2. Was really depressed all morning. Then my dad suggested I check my status checker, just in case. So I did, and it says Admitted! Ahhhh! It's almost more awesome this way (although I kind of want an e-mail just to be sure).

anyway, pumped to meet you guys at ASW. Are you thinking March or April?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:59 am

Welcome to the new KB2s!!

I want to go in March, but it falls on a pretty bad weekend for me, and while I could make it work, I think it would end up a bit too stressful, but we'll see. April seems like such a long wait though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

roguewave19

New

Post by roguewave19 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Checking in.. still shaking from the excitement of my KB2 yesterday! :)

Haven't gotten my admissions binder yet but if those are the two ASW dates then I'll definitely be at the March one.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:19 pm

roguewave19 wrote:Checking in.. still shaking from the excitement of my KB2 yesterday! :)

Haven't gotten my admissions binder yet but if those are the two ASW dates then I'll definitely be at the March one.
unfortunately its not really a binder....mine came in a USPS priority mailing bag..there wasnt even a small envelope inside...everything just spilled out...a few letters and pamphlets and what not.....nowhere near comparable to the vanderbilt "box" or the nyu thing or even the duke binder...lol..but its still havhahd so im happy... :mrgreen:

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:09 pm

also, just read my admitted students pamphlet...still confused about the fin aid package that harvard gives out...if we qualify..it is ONLY loans?...cause it appears to be only loans, didnt know that HLS does not give out tuition grants....

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:02 am

thederangedwang wrote:also, just read my admitted students pamphlet...still confused about the fin aid package that harvard gives out...if we qualify..it is ONLY loans?...cause it appears to be only loans, didnt know that HLS does not give out tuition grants....
FinAid will include grants if you qualify.
You can also apply for loan-only FinAid.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/ ... ytype.html

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”