Villanova 2015 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Butterscotch22

New

Re: Villanova 2015 Applicants

Post by Butterscotch22 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:33 pm

Ziiish wrote:when are the admitted students days?
+1

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:47 pm

melk724 wrote:Nova V. Temple.....not sure which to do...with scholarships Temple would cost more..but not sure if it's worth it...

Does anyone at Nova have an internship? How hard is it to balance that with a classes?
Barring vastly different stipulations or some unreasonable/extreme hatred or love for one of the schools, they are, for all purposes, interchangeable. Always try to negotiate for more money, but in the end go to the cheaper one.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Cornelius wrote:
melk724 wrote:Nova V. Temple.....not sure which to do...with scholarships Temple would cost more..but not sure if it's worth it...

Does anyone at Nova have an internship? How hard is it to balance that with a classes?
Barring vastly different stipulations or some unreasonable/extreme hatred or love for one of the schools, they are, for all purposes, interchangeable. Always try to negotiate for more money, but in the end go to the cheaper one.
I have heard Cornelius' advice echoed by students of both schools. I didn't apply to Temple because the app was super annoying and the campus and area around it looked like a dump, but I got a full-ride to 'Nova so I'm okay with that.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 pm

You don't do externships until 2L or 3L. You get credits, so it's just one less class. Manageable if you take relatively easy classes with it. If you don't do externships during the school year as a 2L or 3L, you're doing law school wrong.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:16 pm

I applied in late December. Any chance for big scholarship money? $120k neighborhood?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elisabeth

New

Post by elisabeth » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:26 am

For any current Villanova student, would you recommend living in Rosemont plaza, Radnor House or Radcliff House? Are any of them within walking distance of the school and/or local bars?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:12 pm

elisabeth wrote:For any current Villanova student, would you recommend living in Rosemont plaza, Radnor House or Radcliff House? Are any of them within walking distance of the school and/or local bars?
They're all about the same. And yes, all within walking distance.

melk724

New

Post by melk724 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:

You don't do externships until 2L or 3L. You get credits, so it's just one less class. Manageable if you take relatively easy classes with it. If you don't do externships during the school year as a 2L or 3L, you're doing law school wrong.
Hah,fair enough. Thanks!!

lancelot243

New

Post by lancelot243 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 pm

In with 20k a year scholly. Does anyone know when the admitted student days are?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alevin

New

Post by alevin » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:48 pm

lancelot243 wrote:In with 20k a year scholly. Does anyone know when the admitted student days are?
it's not in their acceptance packet either. if anyone knows, please post!

SCOTUS40

New

Post by SCOTUS40 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:16 pm

Penn State Law v. Villanova. Any insight on what I should do? More money from Nova.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:18 pm

SCOTUS40 wrote:Penn State Law v. Villanova. Any insight on what I should do? More money from Nova.
Same advice as before. Negotiate and go to the cheaper one, keeping in mind Penn State serves Central PA while Villanova server eastern/Philly. I'd say Villanova.

akarenina

New

Post by akarenina » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 am

SCOTUS40 wrote:Penn State Law v. Villanova. Any insight on what I should do? More money from Nova.
I had the same dilemma.. so I visited both. The teleconferencing most of your classes/dual campus thing at Penn State really threw me off - definitely not for everybody. Plus the UP campus you're in a sea of thousands of undergrads, and the Carlisle campus has like 4 people in it. But hey, if you want to spend more money on a slightly better ranked school go for it. I liked Villanova's campus/class selection better personally. Hope that helps?
Last edited by akarenina on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nodice410

New

Post by nodice410 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 am

akarenina wrote:
I had the same dilemma.. so I visited both. The teleconferencing most of your classes/dual campus thing at Penn State really threw me off - definitely not for everybody. Plus the UP campus you're in a see of thousands of undergrads, and the Carlisle campus has like 4 people in it. But hey, if you want to spend more money on a slightly better ranked school go for it. I liked Villanova's campus/class selection better personally. Hope that helps?
can you expand on the teleconferencing part. I'm applying as well and am interested to know about that... sounds odd.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:51 am

nodice410 wrote: can you expand on the teleconferencing part. I'm applying as well and am interested to know about that... sounds odd.
--LinkRemoved--
Penn State Law students may elect to matriculate at either the University Park or Carlisle location, where they will enjoy an identical first-year curriculum taught entirely in-person by several of the faculty’s top classroom teachers and scholars. During second and third years, students may elect to change campuses in order to access a class, clinic or joint degree opportunity available only at one campus or the other, or students may remain at their initial campus throughout their three years and access rich upper-level curriculum and clinics through the variety of entirely in-person classes and clinics and remote-access audiovisual (AV) classes offered at each location. The experience with upper-level AV classes has been very positive, both because of the sophisticated equipment and specially designed classrooms, and because the campuses are close enough to ensure in-person student-faculty contact, as desired, throughout each semester.

hob12

Bronze

Post by hob12 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi guys- I called admissions, their open house/ ASW is March 31. EDIT: feel free to confirm, because it does sound pretty late.

I am also in the same situation for Penn State/ Villanova, I got full to nova and 25 to Penn State, but it's only like 30.

Also I got into W&L wtih 15/ yr.

Looking to place in DC/gvt. It's looking like these are my top 3, I really did like Nova when I visited.
I'd be interested to see which way everyone is leaning on their decisions.
Last edited by hob12 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 pm

hob12 wrote:Hi guys- I called admissions, their open house/ ASW is March 31.

I am also in the same situation for Penn State/ Villanova, I got full to nova and 25 to Penn State, but it's only like 30.

Looking to place in DC/gvt. It's looking like these are my top 3, I really did like Nova when I visited.
If you want DC or gov't (assuming fed if you're looking to be in DC) don't kid yourself by coming here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alevin

New

Post by alevin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:39 pm

having the accepted students day on March 31 is really late. Aren't most schools deposits due like April 1?

hob12

Bronze

Post by hob12 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:40 pm

beach_terror wrote:
hob12 wrote:Hi guys- I called admissions, their open house/ ASW is March 31.

If you want DC or gov't (assuming fed if you're looking to be in DC) don't kid yourself by coming here.
I guess the problem is that I am not doing well with the DC schools, Haven't heard from 2, 1 reject, 1 wait list. Catholic didn't give me as much $ as I'd like. And W&L is kinda in the middle of nowhere. So my point is, I'm having issues coming up with a good solution.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:45 pm

hob12 wrote:Hi guys- I called admissions, their open house/ ASW is March 31. EDIT: feel free to confirm, because it does sound pretty late.

I'm in a similar situation. Full at Nova, almost full at Denver, and 15k at w&l. I don't care where I end up but I want a job and to not be engulfed in debt.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm

hob12 wrote: I guess the problem is that I am not doing well with the DC schools, Haven't heard from 2, 1 reject, 1 wait list. Catholic didn't give me as much $ as I'd like. And W&L is kinda in the middle of nowhere. So my point is, I'm having issues coming up with a good solution.
If you're set on DC or fed gov't work, you have to retake. I'm externing for a large federal agency in Philadelphia now. Even at Penn, it's almost impossible to get into the honors program. I think they take on 2-3 fellows attorneys per year, and it wouldn't surprise me if they get 200 applications for those 2-3 spots. I don't mean to break your balls, but the odds are the same everywhere and for every federal agency. DC isn't doable from Villanova unless you manage to finish in the top 5-10 students.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

grovevilleroad

New

Post by grovevilleroad » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:54 pm

hob12 wrote:Hi guys- I called admissions, their open house/ ASW is March 31. EDIT: feel free to confirm, because it does sound pretty late.
Most schools that I applied to have their ASD the last week of March (23rd-31st). But yes, I find all of these a bit late when some decisions must be made by the 1st of April.
hob12 wrote:I am also in the same situation for Penn State/ Villanova, I got full to nova and 25 to Penn State, but it's only like 30.
Tuition for PSU this year was just under 38K not 30K, which I am sure will increase for next year.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:00 pm

alevin wrote:having the accepted students day on March 31 is really late. Aren't most schools deposits due like April 1?
Yeah and 'Nova's scholarship recipient deposit is March 25. I wonder if they'd be flexible on that. I'll have to call.

akarenina

New

Post by akarenina » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:11 pm

nodice410 wrote:
akarenina wrote:
I had the same dilemma.. so I visited both. The teleconferencing most of your classes/dual campus thing at Penn State really threw me off - definitely not for everybody. Plus the UP campus you're in a see of thousands of undergrads, and the Carlisle campus has like 4 people in it. But hey, if you want to spend more money on a slightly better ranked school go for it. I liked Villanova's campus/class selection better personally. Hope that helps?
can you expand on the teleconferencing part. I'm applying as well and am interested to know about that... sounds odd.
It is. I visited both UP and Carlisle and they said that your first year you don't take any classes with teleconferencing but it seemed that the majority of your classes thereafter are teleconferenced - which can mean you sit in a room by yourself with a camera and join in on a class at the other campus and are proudly or not so proudly displayed on a TV screen in that classroom. Or, your professor is teleconferenced in, which I saw a lot of. Then you have a button that lights up when you speak and the camera zooms in on you. I heard a lot of, "you adjust to it really fast and forget the cameras are there" but also that "it's really not for everybody". Perks of Villanova - parking (lacking at UP), 24 hour library (also lacking at UP), and everything all in one building (definitely lacking at UP). But again, to each his own. I suggest visiting if possible.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:17 pm

akarenina wrote: but also that "it's really not for everybody".
This is how I felt about it, which is why I didn't apply. Personally, I can't imagine enjoying that kind of environment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”