Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bratty_60

New

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2015 (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by Bratty_60 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:48 pm

I was accepted back in January, I sent my app in Nov

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 am

That was the case for many years although given the new rankings and the fact that RU Camden's average starting salary for private practice was essentially cut in half, Rutgers-Newark has officially passed Camden and will likely stay that way forever...
Linsanity wrote:Relax. The name isn't changing anytime soon and we don't even know if it's going to happen. It's a long ways away. RU Camden > RU Newark.

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:24 pm

oleosmirf wrote:That was the case for many years although given the new rankings and the fact that RU Camden's average starting salary for private practice was essentially cut in half, Rutgers-Newark has officially passed Camden and will likely stay that way forever...
This makes my decision between the two so much easier, though I was considering Camden over Newark a while ago.

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm still waiting on Newark but I will certainly choose them over Camden, should I be accepted. Unless you have an affinity for South Jersey or Philly, I can't understand how someone can choose Camden over Newark now...
ashen wrote:
oleosmirf wrote:That was the case for many years although given the new rankings and the fact that RU Camden's average starting salary for private practice was essentially cut in half, Rutgers-Newark has officially passed Camden and will likely stay that way forever...
This makes my decision between the two so much easier, though I was considering Camden over Newark a while ago.

Linsanity

New

Post by Linsanity » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 pm

That's false. Camden is still superior to Newark. I have a Professor who graduated RU-N and chose it over RU-C and to this day regrets it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dntburntheday

New

Post by dntburntheday » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Well...I am definately NOT going to Camden due to the Rowan thing. Whether it happens or not, or whether it may or may not have an impact down the road...I know what I am getting with RU-N. Not exactly a decision I want to base off of speculation from the New Jersey media and...these message boards.

Anyway...who has officially committed to the evening divison at Rutgers Newark for Fall 2012? I have, and I am trying to figure out how I am going to survive working full time and going to LS at night. Anyone else dreading this?

Linsanity

New

Post by Linsanity » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:54 pm

dntburntheday wrote:Well...I am definately NOT going to Camden due to the Rowan thing. Whether it happens or not, or whether it may or may not have an impact down the road...I know what I am getting with RU-N. Not exactly a decision I want to base off of speculation from the New Jersey media and...these message boards.

Anyway...who has officially committed to the evening divison at Rutgers Newark for Fall 2012? I have, and I am trying to figure out how I am going to survive working full time and going to LS at night. Anyone else dreading this?
I think you are letting the media and these message boards impact your decision by going to RU-N. Nonetheless, I have a great deal of respect for you for working full time and then going to law school at night. I wish you the best man I hope everything works out.

Beeg12

New

Post by Beeg12 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Linsanity wrote:
dntburntheday wrote:Well...I am definately NOT going to Camden due to the Rowan thing. Whether it happens or not, or whether it may or may not have an impact down the road...I know what I am getting with RU-N. Not exactly a decision I want to base off of speculation from the New Jersey media and...these message boards.

I think you are letting the media and these message boards impact your decision by going to RU-N. Nonetheless, I have a great deal of respect for you for working full time and then going to law school at night. I wish you the best man I hope everything works out.
Can you provide any solid reasoning backed by statistics and facts to choose Camden over Newark? I would be interested to hear it.

Fletcher Reed

New

d

Post by Fletcher Reed » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:05 pm

d
Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm a former night student at R-N. I did a year in the program and it was absolutely brutal. I'm married, have kids, worked and have a side business and I just really never felt prepared for class. There just isn't the time day students have to think about what you're reading or do practice exams and all that kind of stuff. I was able to work things out financially where I could switch to the full-time day program after the first year and law school became a lot more interesting. I really hated my life that first year.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Linsanity wrote:That's false. Camden is still superior to Newark. I have a Professor who graduated RU-N and chose it over RU-C and to this day regrets it.
Did you take the LSAT? One person that you know saying something doesn't make it true.

Linsanity

New

Post by Linsanity » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:25 pm

neeko wrote:
Linsanity wrote:That's false. Camden is still superior to Newark. I have a Professor who graduated RU-N and chose it over RU-C and to this day regrets it.
Did you take the LSAT? One person that you know saying something doesn't make it true.
The point is that he was someone who chose it over Camden. Newark has to battle countless schools for placement when Camden is a great spot to practice near Philly

Beeg12

New

Post by Beeg12 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 pm

When did he make this choice? What I mean is, what year did he graduate? Is his regret even relevant to current day discussions?

What you are saying is this: CLEARLY what one professor said about his personal beliefs outweighs a pending and uncertain merger, 45k less of a pp starting salary (with less grads reporting), and a recent 15 spot rankings dive. CLEARLY Camden has more to offer as far as employment than Newark and North Jersey, because the salary statistics are BS and this one attorney would have hypothetically preferred Camden if he had gone there.

I implore you, PLEASE back up something you say with statistics or facts and not pure regurgitation of others beliefs.

And why, if RU-C doesn't have to battle as much as RU-N, is there such a humongous variance in salary statistics?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:15 pm

He's not from NJ and he has no statistics to back up any of these assertions. He also said Maryland is better for practicing in NJ than either Rutgers school...just move right along.

LAFish

Bronze

Post by LAFish » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Now this is also the guy who said that the Philly market has more legal opportunities than the NYC market.

MarchMadness

New

Post by MarchMadness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:46 pm

http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/20 ... tgers.html

Read that before you go wild about Rutgers Newark. The location is in a sewer and it's not so great. There are much better NYC choices like SJU Carzodo and Fordham that can further stretch the degree.
Last edited by MarchMadness on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarchMadness

New

Post by MarchMadness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Here is a previous post written by a former RU-N student:

Rutgers is decent, but things to consider if you want to work in NYC is...NYC has a lot of law schools, some of which are ranked higher than Rutgers and have better reputations. Then there's the fact that seemingly everyone and their mama wants to work in NYC as a lawyer...including a lot of students from top 10 law schools, such as Harvard, Yale, Duke, etc. Outside of these schools (and even sometimes despite being from some of these schools), many NYC legal employers seem to have a horrible bias for NYC schools, even if they *are* ranked lower. If you are trying to work in NJ, don't you think the kids in NYC who can't get jobs there will go for NJ jobs? Well if you don't you better, because they do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MarchMadness

New

Post by MarchMadness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:17 pm

The 2013 Law School Rankings officially came out, and RU-N did not fair favorably.

Linsanity

New

Post by Linsanity » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 pm

MarchMadness wrote:The 2013 Law School Rankings officially came out, and RU-N did not fair favorably.
Hate to say I told you all so...but, yea. I told you all so.

St. Johns > Rutgers

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Linsanity wrote:
MarchMadness wrote:The 2013 Law School Rankings officially came out, and RU-N did not fair favorably.

St. Johns > Rutgers
Um. No.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Linsanity wrote:

St. Johns > Rutgers
If you live in NJ and you go to St. Johns over RU you're an idiot - also if you're going to RU for NYC you're an idiot - If Cardozo, BLS, SJU and so on are you're options you're fucked for NYC - at least firms in NJ are riddled with RU grads, and if you want to practice NYC you have to do just as good at any of those schools to even have a chance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:30 pm

+100. Factor that with the dismal emplyoment figures and you have a potential disaster in the making...
Fletcher Reed wrote:
I have to address this logical trainwreck. So you are saying that it is false that RU-Newark is superior to RU-Camden because you have a professor who chose RU-Newark over RU-Camden and regrets it? I'm almost at a loss of words.

Just because ONE person regrets it does not necessarily mean that Newark is not a better choice. Also, that ONE PERSON went to the school YEARS ago, maybe even DECADES, when this current and relevant controversy was not even taking place! You really need to embrace what's going on and address it sensically.

You also mentioned some other frightening things in other threads.

Let me make it clear for you, there is a big problem here even if RU-Camden never loses its' name. The school is already suffering negative consequences: The applications are significantly down because higher-qualified applicants are not interested in taking a risk. Now that Camden is almost out of the top 100, according to the most current rankings, there are even more people afraid to attend. Because of this, admissions had to lower their standards and accept people well below their usual criteria (hence the Jumpstart letters going out). We can only speculate what the lower admissions standards will do to the school.

MarchMadness

New

Post by MarchMadness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:43 pm

[/quote]If you live in NJ and you go to St. Johns over RU you're an idiot - also if you're going to RU for NYC you're an idiot - If Cardozo, BLS, SJU and so on are you're options you're fucked for NYC - at least firms in NJ are riddled with RU grads, and if you want to practice NYC you have to do just as good at any of those schools to even have a chance.[/quote]

If you EVER want to practice anywhere other than NJ and you go to Rutgers, lord have mercy on your soul.

Beeg12

New

Post by Beeg12 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:02 am

first things first. Linsanity, stop posting garbage. You go to St. Johns and lets see you compete in NYC for a job. Then when you try to escape to NJ you'll get beat out by Rutgers students. The keyboard on your computer is like a leaking septic tank.

Who ever brought up NYC as RU-N's market? Who at RU-N said that they would place people in NYC? This was a discussion of RU-N versus RU-C as far as employment. While Camden has a reputation for placing in Philly (i'd like to see stats to back that up), RU-N will 95% not place you in NYC.
MarchMadness wrote:[url]http://T14%20Paradise.blogspot.com/2012/03/second-tier-superfund-site-rutgers.html[/url]

Read that before you go wild about Rutgers Newark. The location is in a sewer and it's not so great. There are much better NYC choices like SJU Carzodo and Fordham that can further stretch the degree.
I am not going wild on Rutgers nor am i saying great opportunities will flow like Niagra. Rutgers is a school that is a great value and, for its ranking, has an incredibly strong regional reputation. It should be taken as such, not as a gateway to NYC but as a good value option for students that wont be getting into T-14. Personally, I am choosing Rutgers over Cardozo. Saving 100k in debt while frankly having similar employment situations (ALBEIT IN A DIFFERENT STATE) is my main concern.

The only reason I brought NYC into this is because the economy in North Jersey is on the rise. Mass gentrification because of its proximity to NYC is having a substantial impact on the economy in the main area that RU-N places.

If you have NYC BigLaw dreams and you are going to Rutgers you are in for a terrible surprise. HOWEVER, This is also the case for NYLS, BLS, Cardozo, and St. Johns.
MarchMadness wrote:
If you live in NJ and you go to St. Johns over RU you're an idiot - also if you're going to RU for NYC you're an idiot - If Cardozo, BLS, SJU and so on are you're options you're fucked for NYC - at least firms in NJ are riddled with RU grads, and if you want to practice NYC you have to do just as good at any of those schools to even have a chance.[/quote]

If you EVER want to practice anywhere other than NJ and you go to Rutgers, lord have mercy on your soul.[/quote]

Yes this is true. And yes, Newark itself sucks but who is going to live there? All of the areas between Newark and NYC are fantastic areas to live. Living and practicing in North Jersey with all of NYC's amenities(not jobs) at your fingertips in a high growth area with mass corporate tax cuts drawing in companies that are creating tons of jobs, doesn't seem so bad.

To sum up, let's get our expectations in line. Are 75% of us going to be making 100k w/out bonus? No. Is this dissimilar from ANY other school ranked above 40? NO. Are we going to be working in NYC BigLaw? NOOO. BUT WHO SAID WE WOULD BE?

Going to any law school ranked above 35-40 is about hedging bets. less risk for less cost, this is a business decision. From my personal options using my personal research and analysis of statistics and the economy, Rutgers-Newark is a great value for the amount of risk/reward in an area that is visibly on the rise.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Just put my fall PT deposit down. WL'd at UConn and would almost definitely take that if I get in before August. But, if not, I am still very excited about RU-N this fall...for many of the reasons Beeg12 mentioned above.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”