Maryland Applicants c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dman12

New

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Post by dman12 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:21 pm

@ stephinmd when was the second seat deposit due?

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed May 23, 2012 4:28 pm

dman12 wrote:@ stephinmd when was the second seat deposit due?
The 18th (for me, at least).

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Wed May 23, 2012 4:45 pm

stephinmd wrote:
You were accepted? Would you mind telling us your scores/GPA and full/part? I'm curious. thanks!

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Thu May 24, 2012 11:39 am

stephinmd wrote:
I wonder how long it takes them to sort through the seat deposits and identify open seats? I'm starting to worry that they won't need to go to the part-time waitlist since they only have 50 seats. :roll:

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Thu May 24, 2012 9:03 pm

If I cryogenically freeze myself, could one of you kind folks be a dear and wake me when Maryland decides to do something, anything?

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:53 am

pret wrote:If I cryogenically freeze myself, could one of you kind folks be a dear and wake me when Maryland decides to do something, anything?

Thanks.
Will do. But hopefully you won't have to do that because UMD could make our weekend by calling us today. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll make any moves before the long weekend. Prove me wrong!

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Fri May 25, 2012 8:31 am

I hope you guys hear soon!

dman12

New

Post by dman12 » Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 am

ama004 wrote:
pret wrote:If I cryogenically freeze myself, could one of you kind folks be a dear and wake me when Maryland decides to do something, anything?

Thanks.
Will do. But hopefully you won't have to do that because UMD could make our weekend by calling us today. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll make any moves before the long weekend. Prove me wrong!
@ama one can only hope!!!! Does anyone know if they send periodic updates to waitlister e.g., the class is full and we aren't taking anyone off the waitlist, or there are 25 seats available so we will be in contact with candidates from our waitlist????

That's all we want is just some communication...this silence is deafening.

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Fri May 25, 2012 4:17 pm

dman12 wrote:
ama004 wrote:
Thanks.
@ama one can only hope!!!! Does anyone know if they send periodic updates to waitlister e.g., the class is full and we aren't taking anyone off the waitlist, or there are 25 seats available so we will be in contact with candidates from our waitlist????
I haven't heard a peep :(

FT waitlister, applied in Jan/Feb

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Fri May 25, 2012 8:31 pm

dman12 wrote:
ama004 wrote:

Thanks.

I asked about the lack of communication and they said it was because:
1) there's nothing to say (sigh)
2) there's too many on the waitlist (double sigh)

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Tue May 29, 2012 2:37 am

Hope is slipping... I seriously doubt anyone would drop out after paying their admissions deposit...

lawyer211

New

Post by lawyer211 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:16 am

I refuse to lose hope. I really want to believe that there will be some SERIOUS movement for waitlisters next month and that those of us waiting (especially us here on TLS :wink:) will be accepted off the waitlist before the summer starts. Friends of mine are trying to plan road trips and other summer excursions but I have to keep saying I don't know because I have no clue what my schedule will be like come fall if we get accepted. Just trying to remain optimistic that people will bail and vacate seats to our benefit.. :roll:

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:23 am

Intranetusa wrote:Hope is slipping... I seriously doubt anyone would drop out after paying their admissions deposit...
I don't think that's the case. Otherwise, they wouldn't accept people from the waitlist until August--not that it happens a lot, but I think there are cases where somebody gets off a waitlist, late in the summer, at another school and then he/she withdrawals from Maryland.

But I feel you...it's definitely hard to remain optimistic. I thought for sure that I'd hear something by now. I'm just hoping that the admissions committee is taking its time in sorting through seat deposits and going to the waitlist (instead of there not being any more seats available). From what I understand, they are being conservative in going to the waitlist because they don't want to over enroll.

Also, they probably know that if they do need to go the waitlist they will have some applicants (us) that will accept in a heartbeat.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jmtyner11

New

Post by jmtyner11 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:26 am

I spoke with an admissions counselor last week. They are going to be at conferences or something I believe this week, so they are going to be in and out of the office. She said that they are going to begin reviewing applications within the next three weeks.

Hopefully we will hear about admittance soon. I'd love to stay in Baltimore.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Tue May 29, 2012 10:03 am

ama004 wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:Hope is slipping... I seriously doubt anyone would drop out after paying their admissions deposit...
I don't think that's the case. Otherwise, they wouldn't accept people from the waitlist until August--not that it happens a lot, but I think there are cases where somebody gets off a waitlist, late in the summer, at another school and then he/she withdrawals from Maryland.

But I feel you...it's definitely hard to remain optimistic. I thought for sure that I'd hear something by now. I'm just hoping that the admissions committee is taking its time in sorting through seat deposits and going to the waitlist (instead of there not being any more seats available). From what I understand, they are being conservative in going to the waitlist because they don't want to over enroll.

Also, they probably know that if they do need to go the waitlist they will have some applicants (us) that will accept in a heartbeat.
I think they had to be postmarked by the 18th, not received, so a few days to make it through the mail, and then a holiday weekend... I think there is still hope :)

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:10 am

stephinmd wrote:
ama004 wrote:

I think they had to be postmarked by the 18th, not received, so a few days to make it through the mail, and then a holiday weekend... I think there is still hope :)
Thanks for the info Steph! That is good news. I was wondering whether they had to be received or postmarked by the 18th. That definitely makes a difference.

Intranetusa

New

Post by Intranetusa » Tue May 29, 2012 10:03 pm

jmtyner11 wrote:I spoke with an admissions counselor last week. They are going to be at conferences or something I believe this week, so they are going to be in and out of the office. She said that they are going to begin reviewing applications within the next three weeks.

Wait what? I thought they started reviewing waitlisters a month ago? Or at least someone told me something about reviewing it near the end of April... ???

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legalybrunette

New

Post by legalybrunette » Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 pm

The waitlist letter stated they'd start reviewing early may.

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Tue May 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Intranetusa wrote:
jmtyner11 wrote:I spoke with an admissions counselor last week. They are going to be at conferences or something I believe this week, so they are going to be in and out of the office. She said that they are going to begin reviewing applications within the next three weeks.

Wait what? I thought they started reviewing waitlisters a month ago? Or at least someone told me something about reviewing it near the end of April... ???
Yeah you're right about the April time frame. I called around the admissions office in late April and the rep said that they began reviewing the waitlisted applications.

I hope they've already taken a look at the waitlist applications. I bet they're sorting through seat deposits and doing a final prioritization of waitlisted applicants. Who knows?!

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Wed May 30, 2012 12:29 am

Hope isn't slipping for me yet simply because....they haven't really touched the waitlist yet. Sure, they had a fling with 162 LSAT people but I'd venture to say they were trying to maintain medians. Now, if they continuously added folks off the ft and pt waitlist and then suddenly stopped, then I'd be concerned.

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:56 am

pret wrote:
Hope isn't slipping for me yet simply because....they haven't really touched the waitlist yet. Sure, they had a fling with 162 LSAT people but I'd venture to say they were trying to maintain medians. Now, if they continuously added folks off the ft and pt waitlist and then suddenly stopped, then I'd be concerned.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dman12

New

Post by dman12 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:48 am

pret wrote: I asked about the lack of communication and they said it was because:
pret wrote:
That's kind of where I am now. I def +1 to the logic you gave (re: MD dipping into the list and taking those with higher LSATs). But, last week when you said that you communicated with them and shared the outcome...my hope definitely shriveled a bit. So then how did you weigh what they told you with your logic now. Especially the part about the waitlist being to long.
Or anyone can chime in for that matter.

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Wed May 30, 2012 9:06 pm

dman12 wrote:
pret wrote: I asked about the lack of communication and they said it was because:
pret wrote:
That's kind of where I am now. I def +1 to the logic you gave (re: MD dipping into the list and taking those with higher LSATs). But, last week when you said that you communicated with them and shared the outcome...my hope definitely shriveled a bit. So then how did you weigh what they told you with your logic now. Especially the part about the waitlist being to long.
Or anyone can chime in for that matter.
I take everything they say to me with a jar of salt. Sometimes what they say conflicts with something that's happened or with what they told me a few days prior. I'm at the point where I'm just not gonna call them anymore because it's pointless. I'm not sure if the person on the ther end is misinformed or purposefully misleading or what, but I'd rather wait than deal with the University of Maryland King of Vague Answers School of Law.

dman12

New

Post by dman12 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:55 am

+1

I also recently got an inside scoop that in the next 2-3 weeks there should be some MAJOR movement. Hopefully that means we all come here with some great news.

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Thu May 31, 2012 6:01 pm

dman12 wrote:

+1

I also recently got an inside scoop that in the next 2-3 weeks there should be some MAJOR movement. Hopefully that means we all come here with some great news.
"Inside scoop," eh? Care to elaborate?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”