Maryland Applicants c/o 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dead Parrot

New

Re: Maryland Applicants c/o 2015

Post by Dead Parrot » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 am

LawStudent89 wrote:
Dead Parrot wrote:For any current students who would be able to answer this:

I'm from the eastern shore and I grew up on chicken farms so I have a different view point than many on what is going on with the environmental clinic's law suit. I don't object to their protecting the bay, it should obviously be protected, but I strongly disagree with them siding with a multi-million dollar nonprofit organization when the defendants, a single farm family (read not greedy corportation) barely make enough money to put food on the table when they don't have huge legal fees. So my question is: since the environmental clinic seams to be a big deal around campus, will I be pretty much alone on the other side of this issue, or is there other objectors as well?
Does that mean you got accepted?
No my application was marked recieved 1/10, and still hasn't gone under review. Maryland is my top choice, but this issue has brought up some questions.

chickenfed

New

Post by chickenfed » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:56 am

Dead Parrot wrote:
LawStudent89 wrote:

I'm from the eastern shore and I grew up on chicken farms so I have a different view point than many on what is going on with the environmental clinic's law suit. I don't object to their protecting the bay, it should obviously be protected, but I strongly disagree with them siding with a multi-million dollar nonprofit organization when the defendants, a single farm family (read not greedy corportation) barely make enough money to put food on the table when they don't have huge legal fees. So my question is: since the environmental clinic seams to be a big deal around campus, will I be pretty much alone on the other side of this issue, or is there other objectors as well?
No my application was marked recieved 1/10, and still hasn't gone under review. Maryland is my top choice, but this issue has brought up some questions.
If one instance that the Environmental Clinic is involved in can change your mind about your first choice, then I think you should rethink your choices. Not only are you being overly presumptuous by speaking as if you are somehow involved, but I am fairly certain you don't have all of the facts. Either way, the clinic must have a reason to be involved with the law suit. Just my two cents.

LawStudent89

New

Post by LawStudent89 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:29 am

chickenfed wrote:
Dead Parrot wrote:
LawStudent89 wrote:

If one instance that the Environmental Clinic is involved in can change your mind about your first choice, then I think you should rethink your choices. Not only are you being overly presumptuous by speaking as if you are somehow involved, but I am fairly certain you don't have all of the facts. Either way, the clinic must have a reason to be involved with the law suit. Just my two cents.

akua1209

New

Post by akua1209 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Status says Decision Made. Does anyone know when/how I find out what that decision was?

Hopefully I go home today to find a big envelope with the words Congratulations on it!

skolks

New

Post by skolks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm

akua1209 wrote:Status says Decision Made. Does anyone know when/how I find out what that decision was?

Hopefully I go home today to find a big envelope with the words Congratulations on it!
Unfortunately now you have to wait for snail mail! Fingers crossed! I tried calling up and they can't tell you what that decision was :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

daniel751

New

Post by daniel751 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm

akua1209 wrote:Status says Decision Made. Does anyone know when/how I find out what that decision was?

I received a small envelope (acceptance)... just didnt want you to freak out when you see it haha

Dead Parrot

New

Post by Dead Parrot » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm

chickenfed wrote:If one instance that the Environmental Clinic is involved in can change your mind about your first choice, then I think you should rethink your choices. Not only are you being overly presumptuous by speaking as if you are somehow involved, but I am fairly certain you don't have all of the facts. Either way, the clinic must have a reason to be involved with the law suit. Just my two cents.
I have read all of the facts I could find about the case from both sides of the case including UMD's website and the defendants website, (savefarmfamilies.org), so I have just about all of the facts available to the public. My parents also work in the poultry industry, as have I, and know the Hudsons.

I'm not saying they don't have a reason to be involved, or that their involvment is unjust in anyway. I just question them siding with an out of state organization that is already well funded, when the defendants are MD residents and don't have anywhere near the resources the other side has. If they were only suing corporations like Perdue for CWA violations I wouldn't give a second thought about it, but this a family who has needed multiple charity events just to stay out of bankruptcy.

chickenfed

New

Post by chickenfed » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Dead Parrot wrote:
chickenfed wrote:If one instance that the Environmental Clinic is involved in can change your mind about your first choice, then I think you should rethink your choices. Not only are you being overly presumptuous by speaking as if you are somehow involved, but I am fairly certain you don't have all of the facts. Either way, the clinic must have a reason to be involved with the law suit. Just my two cents.
I have read all of the facts I could find about the case from both sides of the case including UMD's website and the defendants website, (savefarmfamilies.org), so I have just about all of the facts available to the public. My parents also work in the poultry industry, as have I, and know the Hudsons.
Thank you for your understanding.

akua1209

New

Post by akua1209 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Just received my small envelope with Congratulations on the front!! Woohoo....1st acceptance!

Part-Time Program
Applied: 1/6
Application Complete: 1/10
In review: 1/19
Decision made: 1/24

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

genius5432

New

Post by genius5432 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:14 pm

akua1209 wrote:Just received my small envelope with Congratulations on the front!! Woohoo....1st acceptance!

Part-Time Program
Damn, that's crazy fast. It seems like part-time is the way to go.

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Edit: I visited the school today. I made a wrong turn somewhere and it was...scary. Lots of crackheads limping around the streets.
Last edited by pret on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

genius5432

New

Post by genius5432 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:57 pm

pret wrote:
Edit: I visited the school today. I made a wrong turn somewhere and it was...scary. Lots of crackheads limping around the streets.
What did you expect? The school is in Baltimore.

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:01 pm

genius5432 wrote:
pret wrote:
I know Baltimore's a hit or a miss, and 99% of the time it's a miss, but since it's the law school, I was expecting this to the 1% of the time it wasn't. WRONG. The front lawn seemed okay, but everything else was a hot mess.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:04 pm

Does Maryland have an ASD?

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:29 pm

akua1209 wrote:Just received my small envelope with Congratulations on the front!! Woohoo....1st acceptance!

Part-Time Program
Wow! That's very fast...I submitted (part-time) on 1/4 and went in-review on 1/12. Hopefully this means that they will be sending out decisions for part-timers soon.

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:36 pm

I wish Maryland's good schools weren't all in in the worst areas.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:44 pm

pret wrote:
genius5432 wrote:
pret wrote:
I know Baltimore's a hit or a miss, and 99% of the time it's a miss, but since it's the law school, I was expecting this to the 1% of the time it wasn't. WRONG. The front lawn seemed okay, but everything else was a hot mess.
I've lived here the last seven years, and I love this city. It's home now :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

akua1209

New

Post by akua1209 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:49 pm

stephinmd wrote:
pret wrote:
genius5432 wrote:
pret wrote:
I've lived here the last seven years, and I love this city. It's home now :)
I've been to the campus a few times, and I thought it was fine. I guess it depends on where you're coming from.

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:01 pm

quote]

I've been to the campus a few times, and I thought it was fine. I guess it depends on where you're coming from.[/quote]

Agreed--where are you from?

pret

Bronze

Post by pret » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:05 pm

ama004 wrote:

I've been to the campus a few times, and I thought it was fine. I guess it depends on where you're coming from.
Agreed--where are you from?
I don't want to get too specific in case an adcomm is prowling, but I've always made it a point to stay away from Baltimore.
Last edited by pret on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Have any other part-time applications seen any movement? It seems like akua is a rare case to get a decision so fast.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alwayslovely

New

Post by alwayslovely » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 am

Got a congratulations letter in the mail yesterday! Maryland I <3 you for not making me open the envelope in suspense. BTW, applied FT.

ama004

Bronze

Post by ama004 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17 am

alwayslovely wrote:Got a congratulations letter in the mail yesterday! Maryland I <3 you for not making me open the envelope in suspense. BTW, applied FT.
Congrats! On 1/17 you said that your status hadn't changed from "received" on 1/5. When did it change to decision made? Do you have great numbers?

bardreams

New

Post by bardreams » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:24 am

My "in review" date has updated a couple of times...with all of these acceptances I'm starting to lose a little bit of hope.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:58 am

ama004 wrote:Have any other part-time applications seen any movement? It seems like akua is a rare case to get a decision so fast.

My roommate and I both live in Baltimore. I am very serious about the part-time program and applied. He applied with higher numbers than me, but he really has a desire for a t-14. He was accepted within two weeks (both #'s above 75th quartile). I am still waiting.

If I were to take a guess at what's going on, they are holding applications to figure out scholarships vs. sticker vs. waitlist. I've read about some dings, so it has me a little optimistic that if you are IR for a long time they would have dinged you earlier.

Edit: To qualify, I have been IR since 12/1 no date changes. Thats what I qualify for "a long time". For those who applied in the last couple of weeks my advice is patience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”