Michigan State c/o 2015

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lilberkie

Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby Lilberkie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:55 am

App submitted 10/4. Any idea how long before they start releasing decisions?

Curious1

Re: Michigan State c/o 2015

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:02 am

You're applying to Michigan state and Berkeley? My that's a wide net.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:04 am

Curious1 wrote:You're applying to Michigan state and Berkeley? My that's a wide net.

Uh, he obvs wants to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for attending the most ASWs!

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:07 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:
Curious1 wrote:You're applying to Michigan state and Berkeley? My that's a wide net.

Uh, he obvs wants to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for attending the most ASWs!

No lie. I think it would be so fun to just spend my 2nd semester of senior year flying around the country on ASWs.

Lilberkie

Postby Lilberkie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:09 am

Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

There are things that are a good fit for me about both schools. I went to a crazy-competitive high school, then reformed myself during college to realize that not everything is about rankings and numbers. And no, I probably won't be able to afford attending more than 1 or 2 ASWs (at most!); I work in the nonprofit world currently (several years out of my college career). But thanks for your snobbery; it makes me remember why I gave up such friends. Enjoy your nights!

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 am

Lilberkie wrote:
Hawkeye Pierce wrote:

There are things that are a good fit for me about both schools. I went to a crazy-competitive high school, then reformed myself during college to realize that not everything is about rankings and numbers. And no, I probably won't be able to afford attending more than 1 or 2 ASWs (at most!); I work in the nonprofit world currently (several years out of my college career). But thanks for your snobbery; it makes me remember why I gave up such friends. Enjoy your nights!

Lol, I'm not going to try to dissuade you from applying if you want to apply, but the difference in employment prospects between a T14 school and Michigan state are enormous. The fit of a school is overrated (and frankly will be irrelevant to my decision making process).

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:15 am

I really don't understand why so many people take issue with numbers and ranks. In this world, they matter, period. If you like to pretend otherwise, you're at least a teensy bit delusional.

Graduating from Berkeley is orders of magnitude BETTER (yes, objectively better) than graduating from Michigan State. If you do get into both, please make the objectively correct choice. And if you have the numbers to get into Berkeley, you're wasting $16 applying to Michigan State--that can buy 1 and 6/10 of a chicken over at Heifer International, unless livestock prices have gone up since Christmas.

Lilberkie

Postby Lilberkie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:20 am

Curious1 wrote:I really don't understand why so many people take issue with numbers and ranks. In this world, they matter, period. If you like to pretend otherwise, you're at least a teensy bit delusional.

Graduating from Berkeley is orders of magnitude BETTER (yes, objectively better) than graduating from Michigan State. If you do get into both, please make the objectively correct choice. And if you have the numbers to get into Berkeley, you're wasting $16 applying to Michigan State--that can buy 1 and 6/10 of a chicken over at Heifer International, unless livestock prices have gone up since Christmas.

I have the numbers. I also have work experience and life experience, and I wouldn't trade those for anything. But do go back and read the instructions on this particular forum. This is supposed to be about the kinds of questions I posted, not about your philosophies on life. I asked a question; if you don't have an answer, I suggest that you not respond.

Lilberkie

Postby Lilberkie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:22 am

Curious1 wrote:I really don't understand why so many people take issue with numbers and ranks. In this world, they matter, period. If you like to pretend otherwise, you're at least a teensy bit delusional.

PS It was completely free for me to apply (no waste) and, surprise surprise, I'm also a vegetarian and do not purchase meat. Your comments are all meaningless to me.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:23 am

Lilberkie wrote:

PS It was completely free for me to apply (no waste) and, surprise surprise, I'm also a vegetarian and do not purchase meat. Your comments are all meaningless to me.

Um Heifer International provides livestock to impoverished families in the third world...thought you would know that if you worked in "non-profit".

Lilberkie

Postby Lilberkie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:33 am

Curious1 wrote:
Lilberkie wrote:

Um Heifer International provides livestock to impoverished families in the third world...thought you would know that if you worked in "non-profit".

No one uses the term "third-world," anymore. Most of us don't RANK people. You can't get past your numbers, can you? More importantly, what do you think people do with their "livestock" (which I call animals)? They care for them, breed them, eat them, etc. I'm quite familiar with HI; it seems more so than you. This is so ridiculous I'm done reading these posts. Don't bother responding unless you have an answer to my question.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 am

Yeah you sound like a real fun person. Have fun at Michigan State 8)

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:11 am

People who submitted at this time last year began to hear decisions mid-November through December. But you sound like you're meant to be in California.

msuz

Postby msuz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:25 pm

This thread is pretty lame so far... hopefully that changes, Im seriously considering MSU on scholarship, would like to end up in Chicago or Michigan.

Joeazpa

Postby Joeazpa » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:39 pm

msuz wrote:This thread is pretty lame so far... hopefully that changes, Im seriously considering MSU on scholarship, would like to end up in Chicago or Michigan.

Agreed. This thread is pretty lame so far.

Lilberkie, good luck on your admission at MSU and the other schools you applied to in your "wide net".

I applied to MSU late very late last year and I was accepted for fall 2012 with a 75% scholarship. I'm still not 100% positive on MSU, but I really enjoyed the visit I took last month and it would be hard to pass up such a generous scholarship.

neeko

Postby neeko » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:04 am

Did anyone hear from them yesterday? They said they were sending out acceptances, not sure if by mail or email

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am

neeko wrote:Did anyone hear from them yesterday? They said they were sending out acceptances, not sure if by mail or email

Maybe I would be accepted if the stupid app would complete! It's been awaiting hard copy since 11/11!

ETA: Got a letter from MSU today. FEE WAIVER! I applied a week ago with a fee waiver! :x

uga7660

Postby uga7660 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:08 am

Hey everyone! New to tls boards. I've been lurking and reading posts for forever, but finally took the plunge haha. I applied to MSU with fee waiver on October 25th, went complete October 28th, and was notified of acceptance on November 15th with a personal call from Director of Admissions Wayne Hutchison. MSU offered me a full tuition scholarship...I'm shocked. The call preceded the update from the online status checker to "admitted with full scholarship", so hopefully everyone will know the first scholarship offer on status checker.

Definitely going to take a long and hard look at MSU now...if I can come to terms with dealing with those winters. lol I'm really excited. Applied on a whim because of close family friends from Michigan with extensive MSU roots (undergrad). I'm not one of those people looking for top law firms or anything, I just would like a good education at a respected university. Coming from UGA and the SEC, MSU and the Big Ten fit the bill for me. I've heard great things about East Lansing, too. How is everyone else looking? Fingers crossed for everyone!

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:27 am

uga7660 wrote:Hey everyone! New to tls boards. I've been lurking and reading posts for forever, but finally took the plunge haha. I applied to MSU with fee waiver on October 25th, went complete October 28th, and was notified of acceptance on November 15th with a personal call from Director of Admissions Wayne Hutchison. MSU offered me a full tuition scholarship...I'm shocked. The call preceded the update from the online status checker to "admitted with full scholarship", so hopefully everyone will know the first scholarship offer on status checker.

Definitely going to take a long and hard look at MSU now...if I can come to terms with dealing with those winters. lol I'm really excited. Applied on a whim because of close family friends from Michigan with extensive MSU roots (undergrad). I'm not one of those people looking for top law firms or anything, I just would like a good education at a respected university. Coming from UGA and the SEC, MSU and the Big Ten fit the bill for me. I've heard great things about East Lansing, too. How is everyone else looking? Fingers crossed for everyone!

Congratulations! That is exciting. I am hoping to hear something today. My status still says Complete from 10/28. Do you remember if you ever went from Complete to In Review?

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:46 am

I'm still awaiting hard copy. Grrr.. Now I know how Iowa is making you feel Neeko.

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:54 am

Opie wrote:I'm still awaiting hard copy. Grrr.. Now I know how Iowa is making you feel Neeko.

Hahaha! Welcome to the dark side.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:26 am

neeko wrote:
Opie wrote:I'm still awaiting hard copy. Grrr.. Now I know how Iowa is making you feel Neeko.

It's totally random too because I'm almost to 75th on GPA and way over 75th on LSAT. They keep sending me stuff too. I just want to call them and be like "DUDE! Stop sending me ads and read my effing app!"

neeko

Postby neeko » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 am

Opie wrote:
neeko wrote:

It's totally random too because I'm almost to 75th on GPA and way over 75th on LSAT. They keep sending me stuff too. I just want to call them and be like "DUDE! Stop sending me ads and read my effing app!"

I'm under 25th GPA and over 75th LSAT (this is the story of my life) and they emailed me to submit a Why MSU essay. I did that and then silence since then.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:37 am

neeko wrote:
Opie wrote:
neeko wrote:

I'm under 25th GPA and over 75th LSAT (this is the story of my life) and they emailed me to submit a Why MSU essay. I did that and then silence since then.

I don't envy splitters at all. You guys have all the stress. I've known from before I took my LSAT that I could get into my number 2 pick if I didn't totally bomb (like below every PT I ever took). I would be a mess if I hadn't had that. You'll come out okay though. I think I've seen your numbers, and I think your goals are reasonable.

CaptAdams

Postby CaptAdams » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:46 pm

I too am stuck in the dreaded hard copy wait. GL to you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”