Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BKCentral

Bronze

Re: Georgia c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by BKCentral » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 pm

painttherosesred wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.
I'm going to wait at least two weeks...
+1
What is the point in waiting? If you're waiting to maybe get off the WL, you certainly aren't going to be accepted in the next 2 weeks randomly. They would have just accepted you in the first place. Go ahead and write one as soon as you have the chance. It will show that you are not happy with your WL placement and will only show your eagerness to get off it (and therefore your zeal to go to UGA). Anything to get you a leg up on the countless other prospectives on the WL is key. You never know how few (or any at all) people they will take from the WL.

Lvaughn714

Bronze

Post by Lvaughn714 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm

So I just got matched with a student host for WIPI housing. I am 23 year old female and they are having me stay with a guy who lives alone with his 2 dogs. I'm sure he is a perfectly nice guy but does that seem a little odd to anyone else? In the email the Admin clearly refers to me as "she" so it's not like they somehow confused my gender...

georgia32

Bronze

Post by georgia32 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:13 pm

BKCentral wrote:
painttherosesred wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
georgia32 wrote:Wait listed today via status checker. What is you guys thoughts on sending a LOCI (how soon)? UGA is my first choice.
+1
What is the point in waiting? If you're waiting to maybe get off the WL, you certainly aren't going to be accepted in the next 2 weeks randomly. They would have just accepted you in the first place. Go ahead and write one as soon as you have the chance. It will show that you are not happy with your WL placement and will only show your eagerness to get off it (and therefore your zeal to go to UGA). Anything to get you a leg up on the countless other prospectives on the WL is key. You never know how few (or any at all) people they will take from the WL.
Just finished writing a draft, I was thinking about possibly hand writing it? Is that overkill do you think? haha

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm

JustE wrote:
pballer wrote:
JustE wrote:Yeah... really random....
Based on your other results, this looks like classic yield protect.

Edit: If you have a legitimate interest in going to UGA still, I'd send a LOCI. A waitlist that's really the result of a yield protect is probably intended to gauge whether you actually want to go here relative to some of the others schools that you have access to.
Hmmm... Might fire one off. Thing is, I need to decide pretty soon. If I'm a Michigan Summer Starter, I'll need to iron out a lease and make final plans in the next month and a half... Just don't think it was meant to be...
Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I'm in off the WL! Going to make sure I'm at the admitted student events. I look forward to seeing you guys around!

E

LittleBlueBird

Bronze

Post by LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 pm

JustE wrote: Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I'm in off the WL! Going to make sure I'm at the admitted student events. I look forward to seeing you guys around!

E
Congrats!

Did you call them or get around to doing the LOCI?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:23 pm

BKCentral wrote:
painttherosesred wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
+1
The letter says that some will be off the WL within a week. So, I'm going to wait and see if I'm one of those. If not, then I will write an LOCI. 2 weeks is nothing in their world, I'm sure they won't be counting the days for my LOCI.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:12 pm

wait-listed today

3.32/166

worst cycle everr

roba

New

Post by roba » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:58 pm

Accepted today via email in a very blasé manner. Three emails, first had a link to the Class of 2015 Admitted Student Page, second was an invite to the Jones Day Reception, last was for a public interest celebration weekend. I expected to see a change on the status checker or snail mail but they've both been letting me down.

164/3.34, UGA undergrad, originally on the wait list. I'm waiting to hear back from GA State (I love Atlanta and Athens is getting boring) so I may be withdrawing in the near future.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 pm

roba wrote:Accepted today via email in a very blasé manner. Three emails, first had a link to the Class of 2015 Admitted Student Page, second was an invite to the Jones Day Reception, last was for a public interest celebration weekend. I expected to see a change on the status checker or snail mail but they've both been letting me down.

164/3.34, UGA undergrad, originally on the wait list. I'm waiting to hear back from GA State (I love Atlanta and Athens is getting boring) so I may be withdrawing in the near future.
Same story here. Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:01 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
JustE wrote: Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I'm in off the WL! Going to make sure I'm at the admitted student events. I look forward to seeing you guys around!

E
Congrats!

Did you call them or get around to doing the LOCI?
Nope. Hadn't gotten around to it yet. Just sounds like they're going to their WL earlier than I would have expected them to... Maybe they're just being really careful with their yield?

painttherosesred

New

Post by painttherosesred » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:02 pm

BKCentral wrote:
painttherosesred wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
+1

I have a couple of other acceptances, so if I don't get off of the waitlist, it's not the end of the world for me.

Plus, I haven't actually heard anything directly from Georgia yet anyways. I saw that I was waitlisted via status checker. I was going to give them a week or two to officially contact me ... let them send me an email or letter or something and then I would follow up with a LOCI.

It sure seems like they're putting a lot of people on that WL.

jarv1506

New

Post by jarv1506 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:52 pm

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I just got matched with a student host for WIPI housing. I am 23 year old female and they are having me stay with a guy who lives alone with his 2 dogs. I'm sure he is a perfectly nice guy but does that seem a little odd to anyone else? In the email the Admin clearly refers to me as "she" so it's not like they somehow confused my gender...
I wouldn't worry about it too much. They send out an e-mail to anyone involved with the WIPI conference to see if we want to host an admitted student. I don't think they've gotten many responses, so you probably just got matched with a guy because its all they had to offer. If you're coming for the auction you could try getting here in time to mix with some 1L's early in the day and I'm sure you could find a female to stay with if you're uncomfortable with the situation. They might also get a few more responses from 1L's next week (our brief is due on monday). If you're super uncomfortable with it, PM me and I'll see if I can find a girl in my section who's willing to put you up.

LittleBlueBird

Bronze

Post by LittleBlueBird » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:10 am

JustE wrote:
LittleBlueBird wrote:
JustE wrote: Nope. Hadn't gotten around to it yet. Just sounds like they're going to their WL earlier than I would have expected them to... Maybe they're just being really careful with their yield?
Sounds logical. Their USNR did drop again this year. They probably want to get back into the T30. There are only so many ways to skin a cat.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LittleBlueBird

Bronze

Post by LittleBlueBird » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 am

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I just got matched with a student host for WIPI housing. I am 23 year old female and they are having me stay with a guy who lives alone with his 2 dogs. I'm sure he is a perfectly nice guy but does that seem a little odd to anyone else? In the email the Admin clearly refers to me as "she" so it's not like they somehow confused my gender...
I am maybe a little surprised that it's a guy, not so surprised about the dogs, though. Everyone up there has at least one dog (rescues, to boot). It's something I love about the area, having dogs myself.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:49 am

Lvaughn714 wrote:So I just got matched with a student host for WIPI housing. I am 23 year old female
I knew I should have replied to that WIPI housing email..... :idea:

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:41 am

georgia32 wrote:
BKCentral wrote:
Ga0-3L wrote:
Just finished writing a draft, I was thinking about possibly hand writing it? Is that overkill do you think? haha
Eh, I wouldn't hand write it. It might seem more personal but I feel like in our day and age typed is associated with business/formality so I would just print it off and mail it (but don't let me change your opinion if you'd like to write it by hand, it's just my two cents!)

georgia32

Bronze

Post by georgia32 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:58 pm

I ended up just e-mailing it, hopefully it will do the job.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:15 am

georgia32 wrote:I ended up just e-mailing it, hopefully it will do the job.
I think its better to mail those in so they have a hard copy

georgia32

Bronze

Post by georgia32 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 am

I e-mailed the office on how they would like to receive LOCIs, and they said e-mail or regular mail was fine. I figured e-mail was faster, so that is what I went with.

Ga0-3L

Bronze

Post by Ga0-3L » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:53 am

georgia32 wrote:I e-mailed the office on how they would like to receive LOCIs, and they said e-mail or regular mail was fine. I figured e-mail was faster, so that is what I went with.
I'm sure you're good. Some offices are paperless now and prefer email anyway. I hope you get Georgia; I know you really want it.

mrjohnsterman

Bronze

Post by mrjohnsterman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Anyone hear about scholarships recently?

I was told the scholarship committee would be meeting in February and as I am far away I would expect others to receive their offers before I would.

Thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iosborn12

New

Post by iosborn12 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:45 pm

mrjohnsterman wrote:I was told the scholarship committee would be meeting in February and as I am far away I would expect others to receive their offers before I would
If you look a few pages back there were a few kids who got a small bump and one kid who got instate equalizer who had nothing before. I think that was a few weeks ago. I'm not really holding my breath anymore but am hoping to negotiate for at least one semester of equalization after I visit this weekend.

RareAir

New

Post by RareAir » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:53 pm

I got an equalization scholly (up from nothing) along with the others, but I had just been admitted that week. I got my scholly letter about 3 or 4 days after my acceptance letter.

I'm visiting the weekend of the 24th and 25th of march. Really looking forward to seeing the campus and the Law school. Hopefully some more scholarship money opens up in the near future though. With bama offering 25k/year it will be tough to justify the ~$25,000 price difference to go to UGA. Keeping my fingers crossed.

iosborn12

New

Post by iosborn12 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:42 pm

RareAir wrote:With bama offering 25k/year it will be tough to justify the ~$25,000 price difference to go to UGA. Keeping my fingers crossed.
At this point I'm really considering UGA at sticker over Bama with the same-ish scholarship. Really got the feeling Bama tries/needs to place their out of state students in states other than Alabama. Smells like a recipe for disaster to me, but I could be wrong and just brainwashed by all of the talk on TLS.

For me I'd rather work with my alumni than go to school in Alabama and try to work in Atlanta/Nashville/whatever else their career services is pimping at the time (one kid I taklked to that was a 1L at Bama was shooting for Denver). Really liked the school/people, but the idea of trying to get a job in Huntsville/Mobile/Montgomery is pretty terrifying. At least in Georgia I can talk to people about how it's a travesty that the UGA-Clemson rivalry has effectively ended aside from baseball, or how many RB's they have taken from us over the years (except Crowell was a gift from us).

jarv1506

New

Post by jarv1506 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:30 am

iosborn12 wrote:
RareAir wrote:With bama offering 25k/year it will be tough to justify the ~$25,000 price difference to go to UGA. Keeping my fingers crossed.
At this point I'm really considering UGA at sticker over Bama with the same-ish scholarship. Really got the feeling Bama tries/needs to place their out of state students in states other than Alabama. Smells like a recipe for disaster to me, but I could be wrong and just brainwashed by all of the talk on TLS.

For me I'd rather work with my alumni than go to school in Alabama and try to work in Atlanta/Nashville/whatever else their career services is pimping at the time (one kid I taklked to that was a 1L at Bama was shooting for Denver). Really liked the school/people, but the idea of trying to get a job in Huntsville/Mobile/Montgomery is pretty terrifying. At least in Georgia I can talk to people about how it's a travesty that the UGA-Clemson rivalry has effectively ended aside from baseball, or how many RB's they have taken from us over the years (except Crowell was a gift from us).
We start home and home series with Clemson in 2013. It should be pretty sweet since its such a short drive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”