IOWA 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: IOWA 2012

Post by chrisbru » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Opie wrote:Anyone have Hovenkamp this Friday at 11:30? I may be sitting in.
This isn't a 1L class, is it? The only 11:30 1L class is LAWR, not sure the professor. Otherwise you'd have an 8:20-10:20 or 10:30-12:30 class.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:12 pm

chrisbru wrote:
This isn't a 1L class, is it? The only 11:30 1L class is LAWR, not sure the professor. Otherwise you'd have an 8:20-10:20 or 10:30-12:30 class.
No, it's trusts I think. Not a 1L class.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Opie wrote:
Didn't know Hovie taught Trusts. Nice. That's an elective possibility for spring for 1L's, but with Hines.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:34 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:
Didn't know Hovie taught Trusts. Nice. That's an elective possibility for spring for 1L's, but with Hines.
Now that I think about it, maybe it was something to do with antitrust law. Isn't that a specialty of his?

EMAW12

New

Post by EMAW12 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Checking in.

Iowa is at the top of my list, and will, in all likelihood, remain there. Hopefully the application will be sent within the next few weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:46 am

EMAW12 wrote:Checking in.

Iowa is at the top of my list, and will, in all likelihood, remain there. Hopefully the application will be sent within the next few weeks.
Welcome, the sooner the better!

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:
Now that I think about it, maybe it was something to do with antitrust law. Isn't that a specialty of his?
Yup!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:17 am

Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:
Might be an understatement to say it's his specialty. Taken from the Harvard Law Review.

"Herbert Hovenkamp is the most influential antitrust scholar of our generation."

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 am

typ3 wrote:
Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:
Might be an understatement to say it's his specialty. Taken from the Harvard Law Review.

"Herbert Hovenkamp is the most influential antitrust scholar of our generation."
Go to bed. You have early class.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:15 am

typ3 wrote:
Opie wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Opie wrote:

Yeah, after I typed that I looked up his Wikipedia entry. Pretty impressive. He didn't just edit the book he uses, he edited the book basically everybody uses.

Is he a good teacher? I'd love to take classes from him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:36 am

chrisbru wrote:
11:30 is early?

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:40 am

I have the class. It's Antitrust, and it starts at 11. What did you want to know?

brupe

Bronze

Post by brupe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:32 am

I turned my app in the second week of August. Just sitting back and relaxing until I get my inevitable denial :)

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:37 am

Opie wrote:
I had him for IP and plan to take Antitrust. I was suprised at how pleasant and engaging he was in IP. He told interesting stories, made jokes, went at a reasonable pace, took plenty of time for questions and gave time for discussion outside of class as well.

I would recommend taking a class from him...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:45 am

Slimpee wrote:
Opie wrote:
I had him for IP and plan to take Antitrust. I was suprised at how pleasant and engaging he was in IP. He told interesting stories, made jokes, went at a reasonable pace, took plenty of time for questions and gave time for discussion outside of class as well.

Hey 2L's (or 3L's) Any recommendations on these possible electives?

Business Associations Kurtz
Comparative Law Reitz
Crim Pro: Investigation Yung
EU Law Somek
Fed Indian Law Estin
Intro to Intel Property Rantanen
Labor Law Linder
Mediation Gittler
Negotiations Wetlaufer
Sports Law Johnson
Trusts and Estates Hines

ETA:

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
11:30 is early?

Guess not. Forgot you were one of the anomaly sections. Was thinking everyone except me and sec 4 had 8:20 class today.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:00 pm

MoS wrote:
I have the class. It's Antitrust, and it starts at 11. What did you want to know?
Just if it is indicative of the rest of the classes at Iowa (obviously 1L classes are going to vary somewhat from this). I'll probably be in the class Friday. If I can get there by 11 that is.

Yellowtree

New

Post by Yellowtree » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:09 am

How long is it taking for you guys to get an email from them after you've submitted the app. Most school I've applied to send me an email telling me they received my app the next day. Sent app to Iowa two days ago and haven't gotten anything yet

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:18 am

Yellowtree wrote:How long is it taking for you guys to get an email from them after you've submitted the app. Most school I've applied to send me an email telling me they received my app the next day. Sent app to Iowa two days ago and haven't gotten anything yet
I submitted mine on the 25th and just got the login info an hour or so ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:49 am

I made it to campus on time and an
Waiting for class to begin. Admissions was really nice.

Yellowtree

New

Post by Yellowtree » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:17 pm

neeko wrote:
Yellowtree wrote:How long is it taking for you guys to get an email from them after you've submitted the app. Most school I've applied to send me an email telling me they received my app the next day. Sent app to Iowa two days ago and haven't gotten anything yet
I submitted mine on the 25th and just got the login info an hour or so ago.
Ok Thanks!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Tonight only: I'm in Iowa City. If anyone wants to meet up. I'm going out soon.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:35 pm

Opie wrote:
MoS wrote:
Just if it is indicative of the rest of the classes at Iowa (obviously 1L classes are going to vary somewhat from this). I'll probably be in the class Friday. If I can get there by 11 that is.
The professor all have their own style. Hovenkamp is big on telling you the back story of a case. I had him for torts and now antitrust. Sometimes you are not sure what you should be taking notes on, but I always learn something interesting. The class you sat in on, was a pretty typical law school class. Normally we don't cover as many cases as we did on Friday in antitrust, but with the exception of Matsumotto's con law, the pace of the class on Friday was what you should expect in a class.
chrisbru wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
Opie wrote:

Hey 2L's (or 3L's) Any recommendations on these possible electives?

Business Associations Kurtz
Comparative Law Reitz
Crim Pro: Investigation Yung
EU Law Somek
Fed Indian Law Estin
Intro to Intel Property Rantanen
Labor Law Linder
Mediation Gittler
Negotiations Wetlaufer
Sports Law Johnson
Trusts and Estates Hines
Bus. Assoc. is actually a pretty good class, but I don't know how it is with Kurtz. If you haven't had him, ask another section what they think of him.

Comparative Law, is a bitch of a class, from what I remember people saying last year. It's not as interesting as it sounds and the final is a take home exam that requires about 20 pages of writing.

I think Yung is a visiting professor. If you think you will end up working legal aid or at a prosecutors office for the summer. I think it would be a good choice.

Somek is Austrian, he has a very entertaining lecture style. It's like to be a very lofty class (theory or philosophy heavy)

I don't see the point of Indian law unless you think you will be practicing in an area where that will be important. Estin has high expectations but is a great professor.

People like Rantanen, and IP is a hot field especially if you have a hard science background. Hovenkamp taught this last year and there was a ton of reading.

Labor law, from what I hear is a typical Linder class. I like Linder's style, but a lot of people do not. Ask you friend about him.

I don't know much about Mediation or Gitler.

From what I hear Negotiations is a great class, but the final is tough. Wetlaufer is great, but a little off, you watch a lot of movie clips in this class.

No idea about Sprots law, I think they have offered it two years in a row now, but hadn't the few years before that.

Hines was the Dean of the law school for 20 some years. His expertise is property, which trusts and estates would fall into. He has some crazy multiple choice tests from what I hear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:56 pm

Happy Halloween everyone! See you all at The Summit for the ISBA party. Props to the Cartel for the bumpin party last night.

Yellowtree

New

Post by Yellowtree » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:51 pm

162/3.1, oos, non-urm asian, chances?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:07 am

Yellowtree wrote:162/3.1, oos, non-urm asian, chances?
Unfortunately, slim to none. You're looking at Tier 2 schools. Use this site as a guide, but it is not 100% accurate:
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:31 am

Hey all! Really helpful information!

I grew up in Iowa City until college and hope to come back for law school. It really is a great place. I currently live in a horrible college town and am envious of all the awesome places IC has to offer (ecspecially food places like Mesa, Shorts, Hamburg Inn, Pagliais, etc...).

What are your thoughts on a 166/3.8 non-URM applicant in regards to scholarships? And how long does it typically take to hear back once you submit (I submitted on Friday)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”