IU - Bloomington Class of 2015 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adg156

New

Re: IU - Bloomington Class of 2015

Post by adg156 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Accepted via e-mail just now (noon et) with 10k/year. :D

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm

adg156 wrote:Accepted via e-mail just now (noon et) with 10k/year. :D

Same here, with residency status. I was a bit surprised with my stats to not get more $$, but after looking at LSN this seems pretty in line with other people.

Is the consensus that (1) IU is simply giving out less $$ this year, or that (2) it is waiting to give out more $$ until they can see who is actually interested in attending?

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:33 pm

jrthor10 wrote:
adg156 wrote:Accepted via e-mail just now (noon et) with 10k/year. :D

Same here, with residency status. I was a bit surprised with my stats to not get more $$, but after looking at LSN this seems pretty in line with other people.

Is the consensus that (1) IU is simply giving out less $$ this year, or that (2) it is waiting to give out more $$ until they can see who is actually interested in attending?
It seems like they are targeting reverse splitters this year. The high GPA is going further than the high LSAT it seems.

And of course people with simply godly numbers for both are doing well.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 pm

In!!! With 10K/year, residency status. Woooooo!!!!

So, is anyone else negotiating? They can't take away my acceptance if they don't like my counter-offer for scholarship right? (dumb question) Has anyone else negotiated with IU before?

PopTorts13

Bronze

Post by PopTorts13 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:51 pm

iowalum wrote:In!!! With 10K/year, residency status. Woooooo!!!!

So, is anyone else negotiating? They can't take away my acceptance if they don't like my counter-offer for scholarship right? (dumb question) Has anyone else negotiated with IU before?
Congrats! Make sure you are comparing oranges to oranges here. If you are to negotiate with money you are getting from a lesser ranked school... well, don't bother. However, if it is a comparable school, absolutely give it a try. Best of Luck and congrats again!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Awesome - congrats, Iowa. I know you've been waiting for this news for more than a year so I can only imagine how excited you are.

There is no downside to asking for more money and no, I have never heard of a school revoking an offer. I can see them doing it if you're a total d-bag about it, but as long as you approach the subject with respect and appreciation for the offer but candid concerns of the cost of attendance - the worst case scenario, they say no and hold firm on the offer.

I negotiated last year, but it was a very different situation... I was offering to defer a year so I can't imagine my experience would be relevant. good luck!

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:09 pm

TommyK wrote:

Awesome - congrats, Iowa. I know you've been waiting for this news for more than a year so I can only imagine how excited you are.

There is no downside to asking for more money and no, I have never heard of a school revoking an offer. I can see them doing it if you're a total d-bag about it, but as long as you approach the subject with respect and appreciation for the offer but candid concerns of the cost of attendance - the worst case scenario, they say no and hold firm on the offer.

I negotiated last year, but it was a very different situation... I was offering to defer a year so I can't imagine my experience would be relevant. good luck!
Thanks, Tommy, I am very excited - it's been a long journey. I'm going to put something together but I'm not sure how much more to ask for, I'd love to go for the full-ride but I don't want to sound too pretentious (or something). I'm going to go either way (don't tell them) but I'd like a little more money. If anyone has advice on how much more would be reasonable I'm open to suggestions.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 pm

iowalum wrote: Thanks, Tommy, I am very excited - it's been a long journey. I'm going to put something together but I'm not sure how much more to ask for, I'd love to go for the full-ride but I don't want to sound too pretentious (or something). I'm going to go either way (don't tell them) but I'd like a little more money. If anyone has advice on how much more would be reasonable I'm open to suggestions.
I can only tell you what I did with Bama. I got an 80% scholly there and around 90% at IUB. I told them what I had, from where and the stipulations... they ended up throwing an extra $2500/yr to bump it up to 90% and dropped the stips down from top 40% to top half. I didn't ask for a specific amount. I think I just said that I was really impressed with the faculty, staff, recruitment process and overall experience that I'd had (all true) and that the only remaining concern I had was cost of attendance and they got back to me with a revised offer.

Do you have any peer schools that you can leverage an offer from? That tends to help.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:46 pm

TommyK wrote:
iowalum wrote: Thanks, Tommy, I am very excited - it's been a long journey. I'm going to put something together but I'm not sure how much more to ask for, I'd love to go for the full-ride but I don't want to sound too pretentious (or something). I'm going to go either way (don't tell them) but I'd like a little more money. If anyone has advice on how much more would be reasonable I'm open to suggestions.
I can only tell you what I did with Bama. I got an 80% scholly there and around 90% at IUB. I told them what I had, from where and the stipulations... they ended up throwing an extra $2500/yr to bump it up to 90% and dropped the stips down from top 40% to top half. I didn't ask for a specific amount. I think I just said that I was really impressed with the faculty, staff, recruitment process and overall experience that I'd had (all true) and that the only remaining concern I had was cost of attendance and they got back to me with a revised offer.

Do you have any peer schools that you can leverage an offer from? That tends to help.
Unfortunately I don't. But I'm hoping that I because I'm doing a dual degree that no one else is doing next year I can squeeze out a little more. Do I send this to Adcomm or financial aid (another stupid question)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 pm

not stupid question. I dealt with adcomms for all things with all schools, though. Is there a single point of contact there that was assigned? I know last year we did, but she moved to a different school.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 pm

TommyK wrote:not stupid question. I dealt with adcomms for all things with all schools, though. Is there a single point of contact there that was assigned? I know last year we did, but she moved to a different school.
Not specifically. The email came from Kelly Compton and it says to 'contact the law school with any questions', so I may just call and ask who to contact. I've always had a good experience with K Compton, he's usually gotten back to me within hours, so I may just go right to the top. I may just try for 5K more a year, but I'm still debating.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:08 pm

I just called the admissions department. Apparently the scholarship only covers the JD classes. I was getting really amped at the idea of picking up my MBA for free. Just posting this in case anybody else had the same question to save them a call.

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:41 am

iowalum wrote:
Thanks, Tommy, I am very excited - it's been a long journey. I'm going to put something together but I'm not sure how much more to ask for, I'd love to go for the full-ride but I don't want to sound too pretentious (or something). I'm going to go either way (don't tell them) but I'd like a little more money. If anyone has advice on how much more would be reasonable I'm open to suggestions.
I don't understand. If you're not going, why would you negotiate?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PopTorts13

Bronze

Post by PopTorts13 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:57 am

northside wrote:
iowalum wrote:
I don't understand. If you're not going, why would you negotiate?
She said that she is going either way. ha ha

northside

Bronze

Post by northside » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:06 pm

My bad. Sorry. I'm out of it today.

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Putting together a scholly negotiation letter to send later - will report results.

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:09 pm

In review, finally. Applied 11/1, didn't go complete until today, 2/7.

Nothing like a 3+ month wait to get the anxiety going.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:02 pm

If anyone has any questions about the general area or the school, feel free to ask. I attended here for undergrad. I won't know much about the law school other than its relation to other parts of the school/city, but I'll help out where I can.

PopTorts13

Bronze

Post by PopTorts13 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:06 pm

BearsGrl wrote:If anyone has any questions about the general area or the school, feel free to ask. I attended here for undergrad. I won't know much about the law school other than its relation to other parts of the school/city, but I'll help out where I can.
^ Hoosiers Rock!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:15 pm

PopTorts13 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:If anyone has any questions about the general area or the school, feel free to ask. I attended here for undergrad. I won't know much about the law school other than its relation to other parts of the school/city, but I'll help out where I can.
^ Hoosiers Rock!
+1 :)

I didn't even apply to the school. My parents secretly applied. I applied to MSU, UNC and U of MN. My parents applied to U of IA, Purdue and Indiana. Thank goodness they applied to IU because the school is an undiscovered treasure to those outside of the Midwest.

Mkg14

New

Post by Mkg14 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 am

I have two questions for those who received full tuition scholarships. First, how long did it take for you to receive your admit packets after you received your e-mail? Secondly, did it include any additional offer of a stipend? My email gave a full OOS tuition scholly plus a summer start tuition but no word of stipend yet I have heard rumors that some got a stipend. Greatly appreciate the help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

7ate9

New

Post by 7ate9 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:38 am

Mkg14 wrote:I have two questions for those who received full tuition scholarships. First, how long did it take for you to receive your admit packets after you received your e-mail? Secondly, did it include any additional offer of a stipend? My email gave a full OOS tuition scholly plus a summer start tuition but no word of stipend yet I have heard rumors that some got a stipend. Greatly appreciate the help.
In my acceptance e-mail, I received the same package as you (100% tuition and Summer Start, but not mention of stipends).

About two months later or so, I received my snail mail package, which included the same information as the e-mail. I would have liked a stipend, too. :(

PopTorts13

Bronze

Post by PopTorts13 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Mkg14 wrote:I have two questions for those who received full tuition scholarships. First, how long did it take for you to receive your admit packets after you received your e-mail? Secondly, did it include any additional offer of a stipend? My email gave a full OOS tuition scholly plus a summer start tuition but no word of stipend yet I have heard rumors that some got a stipend. Greatly appreciate the help.
Mine specifically stated that I had earned Full tuition, 3,000 stipend per year and Summer Start tuition coverage. I have not received the packet, but I will be down in Bloomington this weekend. Also, received my decision a couple of weeks ago for what ever is it worth.

B986

Bronze

Post by B986 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:51 pm

FYI, if anyone is still stuck at "File Being Processed" check to see if you submitted the Residency Affidavit. I contacted Admissions and they said this was missing from my file and that this is what has been holding up the processing of my app. I hadn't completed this form because I'm not an IN resident and the app checklist had said it was optional; but I guess it's not optional after all. So, basically I just had to submit a page with my name, ethnicity information, permanent address, and signature to get bumped into the review queue. Seems pretty silly.

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:53 pm

B986 wrote:FYI, if anyone is still stuck at "File Being Processed" check to see if you submitted the Residency Affidavit. I contacted Admissions and they said this was missing from my file and that this is what has been holding up the processing of my app. I hadn't completed this form because I'm not an IN resident and the app checklist had said it was optional; but I guess it's not optional after all. So, basically I just had to submit a page with my name, ethnicity information, permanent address, and signature to get bumped into the review queue. Seems pretty silly.
LOL, good thing you reached out to them. Color me unimpressed with how IUB has conducted itself during the applications process...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”