Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snehpets

Silver

Re: Georgetown c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by snehpets » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:57 pm

lawschool899 wrote:I just got an interview request as well. I'm kind of surprised.
Me too. I'm surprised, I mean. I wonder if my personal statement was really terrible or something? :oops:
Last edited by snehpets on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crooked

Bronze

Post by crooked » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:58 pm

snehpets wrote:
lawschool899 wrote:I just got an interview request as well. I'm kind of surprised.
Me too. I wonder if my personal statement was really terrible or something?
Given your numbers, I'd be more inclined to assume it's a YP interview.

lawschool899

Bronze

Post by lawschool899 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:00 pm

snehpets wrote:
Me too. I'm surprised, I mean. I wonder if my personal statement was really terrible or something? :oops:

same...i did the optional response as well so maybe i shouldn't have...?

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:00 pm

crooked wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Hope so! I don't interview well...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:01 pm

crooked wrote:
snehpets wrote:
+1. They want to make sure you're not going to turn them down, so making you go out of your way to do an interview is their attempt to gauge your interest. They know you'll be getting into higher ranked schools, so they don't want to get rejected themselves ;) If anything, take it as a vote of confidence! (:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:03 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
crooked wrote:
snehpets wrote:
+1. They want to make sure you're not going to turn them down, so making you go out of your way to do an interview is their attempt to gauge your interest. They know you'll be getting into higher ranked schools, so they don't want to get rejected themselves ;) If anything, take it as a vote of confidence! (:
This is reassuring! Thank you!

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Just did my interview yesterday. It was fairly stiff and serious (but I think that's more because my interviewer lacked a few personal touches...no sense of humor AT ALL).

I think it went well for me... at least he indicated that he would make a good report on my behalf.

He also mentioned that the admin office had asked him for the specific date of the scheduled interview once we firmed it up. I took that to mean that they like to stay aware of the timing of each interview.... maybe that means the turnaround after the interview is relatively short....just a guess.

Good luck to all.

crumpledq

Bronze

Post by crumpledq » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:06 pm

snehpets wrote:
crooked wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Hope so! I don't interview well...
A friend who is now at YLS had the same thing happen to him. They wanted an interview for YP purposes and to offer money. Don't worry!

zworykin

Bronze

Post by zworykin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:07 pm

Also invited to interview. Was simply accepted last year. :? Of course, that could actually have something to do with it... :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seahawk32

Bronze

Post by seahawk32 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Application complete as of today. Similar numbers to snehpets. Let us now hope.

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:14 pm

crooked wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Not to sound ignorant, but what is a YP interview? I was caught a little off guard since my numbers are above both 75th's and I thought they only ask to interview if you're borderline...

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Elendil wrote:
crooked wrote:
snehpets wrote:
Not to sound ignorant, but what is a YP interview? I was caught a little off guard since my numbers are above both 75th's and I thought they only ask to interview if you're borderline...
Because your numbers are so strong, they assume GULC isn't your first choice. They want to gauge your interest before offering you a spot.

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:26 pm

snehpets wrote: Hope so! I don't interview well...
Don't say that.

you just need to
1) ask questions about the school (you are interested right so it will not be hard)
2) ask questions about the person you're talking to (i.e. ask about alum's experience, career)
3) talk (like you probably did already in your PS, other essays) about why you want to go to law school
4) talk about stuff on your resume (you did the stuff so hopefully you can talk about it)

Don't psyche yourself out. You don't need to wear a suit and get all sweaty and answer questions about how many golf balls fit in a pool or something. good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:28 pm

so_fetch wrote:
Don't say that.

you just need to
1) ask questions about the school (you are interested right so it will not be hard)
2) ask questions about the person you're talking to (i.e. ask about alum's experience, career)
3) talk (like you probably did already in your PS, other essays) about why you want to go to law school
4) talk about stuff on your resume (you did the stuff so hopefully you can talk about it)

Don't psyche yourself out. You don't need to wear a suit and get all sweaty and answer questions about how many golf balls fit in a pool or something. good luck!
Wish I had this kind of pep talk in my daily life! Thanks :D Are the interviews informal? Dress-wise, anyway?

jumister5889

New

Post by jumister5889 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:29 pm

Is there anyway to check when your complete dates were? I haven't been checking my status checker, but I was interviewed on 11/30 and I went complete 12/2 today.

What does that mean? I don't know if I have had three updates or not. I assume I probably would have right? I would have gotten the first complete, then another update for the interview request, then this one after the interview was completed? Or should I only presume 2 updates, one after initial completion and one after completion of interview?

Also when do they send WL and reject? Same day as last update? Do they ever wait longer?

CaliforniaGurl

Bronze

Post by CaliforniaGurl » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:31 pm

so_fetch wrote:
Don't say that.

you just need to

thanks for helpful advice! here's hoping for a good interview.

jasonxu89

New

Post by jasonxu89 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:57 pm

lawschool899 wrote:
snehpets wrote:

same...i did the optional response as well so maybe i shouldn't have...?
just to confirm that status date goes blank means a interview request. Really nervous now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LShopeful12

New

Post by LShopeful12 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Has anyone gotten an invitation to a group video interview? I'm definitely a little nervous as well since I'm not sure if it means that my applications/ps were not so good...my numbers are at about median (3.63/171) so i'm not sure what to think at this point

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:10 pm

LShopeful12 wrote:Has anyone gotten an invitation to a group video interview? I'm definitely a little nervous as well since I'm not sure if it means that my applications/ps were not so good...my numbers are at about median (3.63/171) so i'm not sure what to think at this point
Mine didn't specify what kind of interview it would be. Did it say that in your initial interview email or did you get the group video thing later?

It sounds like maybe they're just pushing to interview a lot of people. Maybe they're moving towards more of a Northwestern system?

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm a bit more relaxed now that some other people with high numbers have gotten interview requests. I felt my numbers were autoadmit and I got an interview request. I thought maybe I screwed something up.

LShopeful12

New

Post by LShopeful12 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:15 pm

snehpets wrote:
LShopeful12 wrote:Has anyone gotten an invitation to a group video interview? I'm definitely a little nervous as well since I'm not sure if it means that my applications/ps were not so good...my numbers are at about median (3.63/171) so i'm not sure what to think at this point
Mine didn't specify what kind of interview it would be. Did it say that in your initial interview email or did you get the group video thing later?

It sounds like maybe they're just pushing to interview a lot of people. Maybe they're moving towards more of a Northwestern system?
The initial email specified it as a "video-conference group interview" and that the limited spaces are given out on a first-come first-serve basis. The last paragraph states that your application won't be disadvantaged in any way if you don't participate but I think that may just be a formality?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

so_fetch

Bronze

Post by so_fetch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:17 pm

snehpets wrote:
so_fetch wrote:
Don't say that.

you just need to

Wish I had this kind of pep talk in my daily life! Thanks :D Are the interviews informal? Dress-wise, anyway?
haha you're welcome. I did not have a georgetown interview. But from reading what other people said, it depends. Some had it in coffee shops, in which case wear like business casual. No matter where you are meeting I can't imagine you should go more casual than a nice, polished business casual outfit. The interviewer may be casual (someone said the alum wore workout clothes to it) but worry about yourself and play it safe. I think you would only consider a suit if you were meeting an alum at his or her law firm where everyone there would be wearing suits. Content-wise, it sounds pretty informal and conversational from what others have said.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:20 pm

i also got a group interview request and my numbers are relatively borderline. haven't gotten a request for an individual interview though as of yet

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:21 pm

In!

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Killingly wrote:In!
Congrats! Knew you would get in. The rest of you cant be far behind :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”